• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
Btw, I been meaning to ask, shouldn't the smut recommendations have more of a seinen touch?

Where's my Kitazaki Taku, Minoru Furuya, Yamamoto Naoki, Jiro Matsumoto ?

How dare you! I'm coming for you with all my frames of animation:

jojohouse.gif

I see that CSI worked on Jojo's anime.

speaking of Jojos
How do you start the anime from scratch?
Where is the starting point... there is one where the airing date is as early as year 2000... Then there is parts and what not

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Before I begin, I'd like to point out that I am loathe to write this kind of piece. However, in the absence of divine intervention (Dresden-sama?) I feel obliged to speak up.

There is no collective voice. AnimeGAF is merely a thread for discussing seasonal anime and many of us do not see eye-to-eye. There are a handful of very regular posters as well as some less frequent attendants. It's true that there are certain posters whose voices are heard more clearly but most of them e.g. cajunator hardly hate everything. Hell, he doesn't seem to dislike anything.

The only thing that separates the participants in the the main anime thread from the people who post in say, Toonami or the individual show threads is personal preference. This leads to each thread having it's own voice but it's still no more than an allied collection of individuals with divergent tastes.

There are a lot of ideas here that are worth examining,

- Yes, people certainly watch shows and complain about them. This is because a lot of anime shows are, unfortunately, dreadful. However, as there's so few shows airing every season sometimes people stick with things to see if they improve.

- This, however, is not the case for everyone, or even the majority of posters. There's plenty of people posting about shows they're enjoying.

- I don't know what's more interesting, your idea that people can't possibly watch things they dislike on a regular basis or that it's somehow unique to the main anime thread. LOST is an interesting example because it's far longer than any anime, so the comparison doesn't quite work. A single season of SAO was far shorter than a single season of LOST.

I certainly remember the ire of people who'd post in those LOST threads week after week, year after year, complaining about the show. More recently, people regularly hatewatched The Newsroom both, the public on forums and professional critics. The Walking Dead is a TV series that has attracted hatewatching for sometime. The list goes on and on. Hatewatching is something that occurs in all forms of media for all kinds of viewers across a broad spectrum of genres. Why, exactly, people engage in this activity is a very interesting question but it's quite clear that it exists. A cursory google or twitter search generates countless examples of the phenomena.

Now, with Sword Art Online specifically plenty of people were watching that because it was the hot show of the period. It had a hook, as they say, to get people onboard and many people kept up with the show in the hope that it might improve. Anyway, the really dedicated hatewatch didn't even come from the main anime thread or AnimeGAF (besides firehawk12, of course), but instead from the main SAO thread in the Off Topic forum.

Why do people still watch the show? They want to know if it'll get worse, whether it can top the ludicrousness of the first season. Or, perhaps, they actually like it. There are numerous potential reasons, but 'secretly liking it' probably isn't the blanket explanation for everyone.

Another good TV example.

I see we're back at the AnimeGAF hive mid again here. While there may be individual people enjoying certain shows unironically but posting negatively that's just a supposition that I can't prove.

I'm also not sure what the definition of a "hater" is, or who these posters are that only spew hate because I just don't see that content in the thread.

If by hate you mean that people in the thread express critical views about shows that they watch then I won't apologize for that, people should be free to express their dissatisfaction and disappointment. If there are lots of bad shows in a season then they're will be a lot of negative impressions but so be it.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just writing #notallanimegaffers

I think there's enough overlap that all of your points have already been made and I've posted my responses to those. Virtually every time I go to the AnimeGAF thread, its people hatewatching or complaining. You can write it off as an inside joke if you want but hatewatching something isn't actually enjoying the source material, its enjoying the complaining. I don't have a lot of interest in that.

hmm no big 3 yet?

explains why the thread has been slow.

also its possible to drop shit after reading for so long so i no longer buy the "i'm already doing it for so long" excuse.

Wiseblade

speaking of Jojos
How do you start the anime from scratch?
Where is the starting point... there is one where the airing date is as early as year 2000... Then there is parts and what not

Ignore all of that. Just watch the "animated" series that started in 2012. Or, you could the the manga and get your infant cousin to colour it in. Pretty much the same thing.

jbug617

Banned
there is speculation that this week chapter of Kuroko no Basket might be the last one. We have to wait to see if it's true or not.

Zweizer

Banned
Ignore all of that. Just watch the "animated" series that started in 2012. Or, you could the the manga and get your infant cousin to colour it in. Pretty much the same thing.

I did like the soundtrack and voice actors for what is worth.

I'm in control is simply the perfect song for Joseph.

wait is the first season set in the past?

2012 one covers Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. The current one covers Stardust Crusaders.

Wagatsuma-san 94

so she wont listen? expected and of course she wouldn't believe his time slipper confession.

not sure why is hes doing it during the slip itself since it usually works in the past but i guess its showing that her decision is a very strong one.

now he will have to go and erase that desire in the past, but can he? and how much of a dick move will it be of stopping her dream LOL.

The 2012/2013 one in question are the same series.

It covers Part 1: Phantom Blood and Part 2: Battle Tendency.

The series airing right now covers Part 3: Stardust Crusaders. It's far longer then Parts 1 and 2 combined, and is getting 4 cours.

kasane

Wagatsuma-san 94

so she wont listen? expected and of course she wouldn't believe his time slipper confession.

not sure why is hes doing it during the slip itself since it usually works in the past but i guess its showing that her decision is a very strong one.

now he will have to go and erase that desire in the past, but can he? and how much of a dick move will it be of stopping her dream LOL.

Mc will the one dying on the end and yhe power of love will save him

Its the only way

Jex

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just writing #notallanimegaffers

AnimeGAF doesn't need its honor defended - there's enough overlap that all of your points have already been made and I've posted my responses to those. Virtually every time I go to the AnimeGAF thread, its people hatewatching or complaining. That's not interesting to me, its just tiring and annoying. You can write it off as an inside joke, if you want.
You expressed disapproval with the tone of the content in AnimeGAF and so I felt like explaining why your perception did not reflect reality. I argued, empirically, why this was the case.

The brunt of your argument, and your above response, is largely centred around your anecdotal experience with the thread. I don't dispute these experiences but neither will I attempt to argue against you because anecdotes aren't arguments. They can form parts of an argument but they can't form the entire thing. No matter how many times they are repeated. Therefore I have nothing to argue against because no argument has been put forth.

All I can say is that, factually, the majority of the content of the thread is not hatewatching. This can be clearly observed via an actual close reading of the thread.

Wiseblade

You expressed disapproval with the tone of the content in AnimeGAF and so I felt like explaining why your perception did not reflect reality. I argued, empirically, why this was the case.

The brunt of your argument, and your above response, is largely centred around your anecdotal experience with the thread. I don't dispute these experiences but neither will I attempt to argue against you because anecdotes aren't arguments. They can form parts of an argument but they can't form the entire thing. No matter how many times they are repeated. Therefore there's nothing to argue against.

All I can say is that, factually, the majority of the content of the thread is neither complaints nor hatewatches. This can be clearly observed via an actual close reading of the thread.
Yeah, you dweebs actually enjoy the garbage you consume.

i7DjhERpCoDoM.gif

I wouldn't say Koe no Katachi has any "psycho" characters. Or at least I think that's a lame way of generalizing the problems they have. Mashiba's clearly fucked up from being bullied for so long and developed some sort of obsession on one of his abusers (though tbh I think his story sucks). And I think Ueno's backstory should have been spread out a bit more than some incredibly jumbled flashback. Like there should be a bit more as to why she became obsessed with him all those years, even the several years when she didn't get to see him. She apparently just followed him with whatever he did but... why? Was she really weak as a kid? Or was mini-Ishida just such a baller that she couldn't help herself.

I'd like to think that we'd find out later, but the next few chapters will probably be about the movie getting put together. With Ishida conveniently waking up just in time to watch it.

Jex

WTF that stared in 2012 i swear that start last year lol .
Well yeah TheRealTalkerl should start with the 2012 one .
Sorry about the mix up TheRealTalker

See, this only happened because you wanted to push people away from those well animated OVA's! (Oh boy I'm going to be popular)

JoJo

I just finished the first episode... I won't post anymore about it in this thread but just by first impressions alone

it has style.... lots of style!!!!!

DAMN YOU DIO!!!!!

Edit: Also CrunchyRoll has it in order :p

Principate

Saint Titanfall
JoJo

I just finished the first episode... I won't post anymore about it in this thread but just by first impressions alone

it has style.... lots of style!!!!!

DAMN YOU DIO!!!!!

Edit: Also CrunchyRoll has it in order :p

Enjoy.

That OP jojo....jojo.

One of the greatest of all time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The brunt of your argument, and your above response, is largely centred around your anecdotal experience with the thread. I don't dispute these experiences but neither will I attempt to argue against you because anecdotes aren't arguments. They can form parts of an argument but they can't form the entire thing. No matter how many times they are repeated. Therefore I have nothing to argue against because no argument has been put forth.

All I can say is that, factually, the majority of the content of the thread is not hatewatching. This can be clearly observed via an actual close reading of the thread.

I have no clue why you are posting this weird argument about rhetorical style. We aren't having an intellectual debate about empirical facts, we're talking about my perception. I'm not sure how you gather there even could be non-anecdotal evidence of my own perception of the atmosphere in a specific thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom