• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
SOMA 85 RAW

2560621-4938236185-DpZol.gif

dani_dc

Prunus Girl

This is essentially a manga about how cuteness conquers all. Age, size, gender, none of it matters as long as you’re cute enough to act the way you want to.
Of course if you’re an ugly bastard then you’re screwed up, sorry, go look somewhere else.

To be more clear, Prunus Girl is about the relationship of Maki, a regular boy, and Kizuna, a boy that looks and acts like a female.

Amp7aK1.jpg

Despite it being played as a love story, I’d have a hard time calling this series a romance, the main characters relationship is basically stagnated from start of the series until the very end when Maki finally comes to terms with his feelings. It’s more of a comedy series that delves a bit into how chemistry between two people can go beyond their genders.

The side characters are mostly underutilized, for some reasons only the lesbian characters had actual arcs, which was a shame, some of the characters could had been used to explore Maki and Kizuna relationship.
In particular, the story could had went a bit deeper regarding Kizuna attraction for both genders by having one of the females trying to court her, rather than just a couple of jokes about it here and there and then nothing at all.

Unfortunately this lead to the series slightly overstaying its welcome, it really went a bit off rails towards the end with the Kizuna fan club arc, but the last few chapters after that were, for the most part, a satisfying end.

The epilogue was cute but it felt like the author wimped out by withholding the sexual relationship between Maki and Kizuna until college.
At the end of the series Maki accepted his feelings for Kizuna, but the idea of Kizuna being a boy is still a somewhat abstract fact in his head, he never actually had to deal with that situation in a physical manner. As such the series could had used a little arc about how Maki would deal with the situation, be it by showing that their relationship was above that, or by showing us how Maki would come to terms (or not) with the fact that Kizuna was a boy at that level as well.
Either way it was disappointing that the author decided to push back this particular issue out of the story.

Overall though, it was a good read, it explores some interesting themes at times, but it’s mostly just a fun and cute love story between a “regular” boy and someone who disrupts the way that boy see’s the world. I’d recommend it.

dumbyugi

Saki 131

I hope that was the end of this shitty flashback. I just want them to either get to the next match or do the Saki/Teru flashback already.

Quasar

Prunus Girl

Overall though, it was a good read, it explores some interesting themes at times, but it’s mostly just a fun and cute love story between a “regular” boy and someone who disrupts the way that boy see’s the world. I’d recommend it.

Yeah. I really quite liked this.

And yeah I guess the writer could have dealt with the physical relationship post acceptance more.

Infinite Justice said:
i honestly still hoped Kizuna would have been a girl and this entire thing was an long con/ troll but alas.

I expected that, but was happily surprised that the writer didn't cop out like that.

dani_dc

i honestly still hoped Kizuna would have been a girl and this entire thing was an long con/ troll but alas.

Also iirc we hardly got much about Kizuna and why he decided this plus other stuff like family, family reactions, etc.

I enjoy good trolls so I wouldn't have minded either way, but I'm overall glad that the author sticked with it. And mostly happy that the author didn't bother giving us a "confirmation scene".

I was ok with Kizuna essentially saying "Because it suits me better" and then adding that Maki was also part of the reason why he continued doing so. That's really all the story needed.

Yeah. I really quite liked this.

And yeah I guess the writer could have dealt with the physical relationship post acceptance more.

I wouldn't have minded the author not dealing with the sexual relationship situation and leaving it implied that it didn't matter, but then he brought it up on the epilogue and left it unsolved, that's really my issue with it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I bet people who wished that kizuna is girl also wishes that kuromaru from UQ holder is a girl.

In other words, being wrong.

So the loli is fine with a harem.

She's into footjobs and presumably other kinky shit.

And she's not afraid of death and may very well be a masochist.

....See now if he doesn't accept his role as husband, than I'm going to pretty angry.

And I know the signs have been there since chapter 1, but I really feel like the place should officially be called "Incest Island".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Musunde Hiraite looks interesting but the lack of updates scares me ┐( =3=)┌ .

There isn't a group working on it. The only way you're ever getting the end of Musunde is if you scan it yourself.

One of these days I should just figure out how to do that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
thats uh, nothing to be proud about

Yeah, i got Nisekoi manga avatar and then that tag. Now i can't recommend anything without someone questioning my taste...
And i first misread it as nickelodeon, not nickelback. Bummer.

Yondemasu yo azazel san 21

Poor kid, and lol at that aunty. Not one single decent person in this manga

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My prediction:
Dojima Gin is one of the judges. He seems to know Soma's dad, and knows that Soma has spent his entire life learning to cook under him. Thus he knows Soma's cooking is authentic and Mimakasa's "tracing" will never match.

There is literally no way Soma can lose. Which is kind of dumb.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Manga News/Discussion |OT14| Home to Questionable Taste.
lol

Uh... What's the story behind this tag? Never saw you talking about NIckleback here (and would have been awesome if it was Nickelodeon instead, although I guess most people wouldn't get it).

Probably this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127103969&postcount=56

And i'm not the only one in that thread who admit to liking nickelback song >_<

It's funny when someone isn't aware of getting a tag and then you see the reaction when the person finds out :°D

Yeah, i just posting as usual, then see my tag. I was like wow, i got a tag. Then i read the tag...

Zweizer

Banned
Probably this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127103969&postcount=56

And i'm not the only one in that thread who admit to liking nickelback song >_<

That was... random. Seems like a mod really likes you. You should try and find who was it to negotiate changing it to Nickelodeon!

There isn't a group working on it. The only way you're ever getting the end of Musunde is if you scan it yourself.

One of these days I should just figure out how to do that.

It's apparently published here so I could always get the localization~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom