• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Thing is, NTR is very rarely done well and most of the time is only for the sake of gratuitously eliciting a rise out of readers, so it's generally pretty pointless.

Lain

Thing is, NTR is very rarely done well and most of the time is only for the sake of gratuitously eliciting a rise out of readers, so it's generally pretty pointless.

I get the feeling many wouldn't care if the NTR was done well or not. The simple idea of cheating and love interests getting taken away is enough to leave a sour taste in the mouth and I don't disagree, especially since in the field making the major use of NTR, it is usually employed through rape and abuse, adding another dark shade on top of everything else, but it can also give birth to interesting stories like Musa or that other one with the dude smashing the face of everyone involved.
It can also be used as a way to show hot manipulative certain characters are like in Urasawa's Happy! (I consider it to have a light shade of NTR personally) and it's interesting to see how the characters overcome those NTR obstacles.

Zweizer

Banned
I get the feeling many wouldn't care if the NTR was done well or not. The simple idea of cheating and love interests getting taken away is enough to leave a sour taste in the mouth and I don't disagree, especially since in the field making the major use of NTR, it is usually employed through rape and abuse, adding another dark shade on top of everything else, but it can also give birth to interesting stories like Musa or that other one with the dude smashing the face of everyone involved.
It can also be used as a way to show hot manipulative certain characters are like in Urasawa's Happy! (I consider it to have a light shade of NTR personally) and it's interesting to see how the characters overcome those NTR obstacles.

Yeah, of course the cheating/taking away part plays a big part too, but as I said most of the NTR either happens in short stories which you generally have no emotional attachment for the characters, or in more established series where it doesn't actually go fully through with a separation that's permanent or has long-lasting consequences, so in both cases it's mostly pointless.

If Nana to Kaoru can pull off a NTR arc that doesn't feel shallowly gratuitous, it can be interesting, but that remains to be seen.

Jintor

I'm not going to say NTR as a plot element is bad, I guess. Like, stories about cheating can be done well. As a genre though... I dunno. I don't like it at all.

Quasar

I dropped it time ago, but it wouldn't be surprising if he is trying to make it not a simple 'smooth ride' as people thought, because they know that NtK Arashi comes later so they know what happens later.

And that's the bit that makes it dumb to me. Same with the last arc. All this will they get back together nonsense when we know that they do. The attempts to create tension are all so artificial. He really should do a time jump and then do this kind of thing.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 6

My Big Sister Can't Be This Cute. It's reassuring to know that the group (well, just Lanka really) have some heavy firepower backing them up if the situation ever demands it. Animal smarts can only carry you so far sometimes.

Also impulse purchases are best purchases:

GQrnRxg.jpg
789453478uhssz.png

I've seen this sentiment a lot in regards the Nisekoi, and I did not really understand why. Why did so many think Komi was going to pull some rabbit out of his hat when they story's been on a predictable track for over a year?

What did Komi do to earn that benefit of the doubt?

Nothing, I knew it was like a .01% chance since Komi is a complete hack.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch134

Ah, siblings.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun ch78

Everything went better than expected.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch6

She's quite the big sister indeed.

Shuukan Shounen Girl ch19

These are persistent lingering feelings.

Spotted Flower ch18.5

No rest for the artists.

I've seen this sentiment a lot in regards the Nisekoi, and I did not really understand why. Why did so many think Komi was going to pull some rabbit out of his hat when they story's been on a predictable track for over a year?

What did Komi do to earn that benefit of the doubt?
In hindsight nothing, but the past few months have been nothing but "hey guys, remember the locket we bring up every 4 months or so? That's a thing again and the manga is ending!"

I think it's the first time I've read a harem manga that the MC actually picks someone but it feels like nobody won. I'm kinda impressed, but also fucking pissed since Double Arts died for this shit. Even the side characters subplots had better closure than the main story.

Also hi mangogaf

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Re: Shokugeki no Soma and that thing where they pass tests despite the examiner being paid off to fail them: I think we pretty much need to all collectively agree that despite taste-testing being subjective in real life (and thus the examiner could just say its gross and fail them) in the context of Shokugeki no Soma, taste testing is completely objective. It's like passing a math test.

The only person who ever lies about food is Erina, that one time.

Shengar

It's too bad that NTR when become a genre on its own have turned cuckolding into a plot that meant for eliciting anger or schadenfreude or both from its readers.

Re: Shokugeki no Soma and that thing where they pass tests despite the examiner being paid off to fail them: I think we pretty much need to all collectively agree that despite taste-testing being subjective in real life (and thus the examiner could just say its gross and fail them) in the context of Shokugeki no Soma, taste testing is completely objective. It's like passing a math test.

The only person who ever lies about food is Erina, that one time.
There's a saying here "Taste can lie". In a culture that rich with various of food, and taste are intertwined into tradition, you can't just easily lie through your mental construct on the food even when you're being paid fuckton of money. This is why most culinary competition manga have their character tries to beat each other by outdone their opponent dish. It makes the losing side not making a bad dish, but rather the winning one made a really good one. Such conditions will feels cheap coopout and unfitting in highstake plot where it involves underhanded tricks and the such.

Zweizer

Banned
It's too bad that NTR when become a genre on its own have turned cuckolding into a plot that meant for eliciting anger or schadenfreude or both from its readers.

Gotta admit that, at least, the genre is pretty effective at that, however cheap and shallow it is.

MSMrRound

Nisekoi 226

Predictable as heck. Knew the ship I was in was going to sink long beforehand.

In recent memory, only the author of The World God Only Knows had the guts to do something different with the ending other than the obligatory main character end up with main heroine trope.

B.A.D. Beyond Another Darkness 1-7 ("END")
A B.A.D. M.C. suffers a traumatic episode and ends up in the care/custody of a gothic lolita, who happens to run a psychic investigation clinic. I thought the guy was being melodramatic over his circumstances initially, but it turns out his trauma was caused by
being drugged and raped by his yandere friend, watching her commit suicide in front of him, then having her uterus implanted in him by the villain and becoming male-pregnant with a demon as a result.
So, uh, his angst is totally justified. At least, I think that's what happened, since the translation was often difficult to understand (and the subject matter didn't help). The comprehension problems + its short length left me feeling disappointed, since the twisted, supernatural, episodic, gothloli gruesomeness would've usually been music to my eyes. I suppose there's the option of looking into the light novel if I want to put my spirit to rest.

Incidentally, it's actually 9 chapters long, but it suddenly stopped mid-arc when its magazine died and apparently chp 7 is a much better end point.

VRMN

Unfortunately the girl he ended up with is also a rubbish character.
I love when the salt still lingers years later. The end of TWGOK was masterfully executed. The signs were all there, and had been set up from very early on, and he still managed to make it look like a twist. Great series.

redlemon

Chihiro was alright. Some of the chapters where they're interacting on their own are quite fun. I think how bad the last year or so TWGOK was before it actually ended affects how people viewed the ending itself

MSMrRound

I was team Ayumi but hey, it's still a pretty good ending considering the confusing as heck direction the story was heading towards back then. The writing really deteriorated quite a bit right after the Goddess arc.

VRMN

Chihiro was alright. Some of the chapters where they're interacting on their own are quite fun. I think how bad the last year or so TWGOK was before it actually ended affects how people viewed the ending itself
I don't even agree with the idea that the last arc was bad. I think people just didn't like the idea of a child Keima arc lasting that long when they wanted more harem antics. As a prelude to the end of the story it made sense and worked fine.

Oh well. People will always judge a series like TWGOK in part on their personal like or dislike of the "winner." Chihiro not being flashy by design didn't gain her many fans, so even though she fit Keima and what he needed and wanted in a girl, people couldn't get over "not my ship."

Ah, harems.

She was okay, and in a way the only one of two choices that actually made sense. TWGOK had a pretty decent ending considering what the shit was going on in the final arc. I still don't understand the whole Elsie thing, or anything really.

Zweizer

Banned
A Kiss and a White Lily ch23

Not much they can do but to go on, I guess.

I Am a Hero ch235

It went surprisingly well.

Peephole ch124

Such dedicated fans.

bobohoro

I can deal with NTR when I don't care about characters and am just in the mood for some bad taste.
NtK NTR though? Nope, won't read it, would just make my stomach turn.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 134

Good family relations are embarassing, I see.

Domestic Na Kanojo 84

Good family relations are embara...wait no, that's something else.

VRMN

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 134

Good family relations are embarassing, I see.

Domestic Na Kanojo 84

Good family relations are embara...wait no, that's something else.

I came away from the new Jitsu wa thinking those two siblings should interact more often. DomeKano had...been pretty obviously heading here for a while and still managed to kind of trip up the landing somehow. Whatever. I'm sure he'll bounce between the two sisters a couple times before all's said and done.

I love when the salt still lingers years later. The end of TWGOK was masterfully executed. The signs were all there, and had been set up from very early on, and he still managed to make it look like a twist. Great series.

I actually don't have any particular feelings toward that series. I didn't read all of it so I'm only going by what I read, which showed Chihiro being a colossal asshole to Keima. It's kind of like Onani Master Kurosawa where he ended up with that dickbag girl despite her being horrible.

VRMN

I actually don't have any particular feelings toward that series. I didn't read all of it so I'm only going by what I read, which showed Chihiro being a colossal asshole to Keima. It's kind of like Onani Master Kurosawa where he ended up with that dickbag girl despite her being horrible.

I don't know what little you read, but Chihiro was no more prone to moments of "being a colossal asshole" than any of the other major contenders, or Keima himself. So mostly I'm just going to say your read of the character is rather off. The reasons she wound up with him in the end have a lot to do with her being one of only two characters to have feelings for him without the interference of Hell.

If you dropped it early, your comments make some sense. It'd probably have to ignore the resolution of her initial arc that kicked off her character development, but hey, I don't know what you did and did not read.

Kind of unfair to write her off without having read all of it, don't you think? Of course she's an ass to him, that's how tsundere works and it makes better sense after her two arcs.

jman2050

Nisekoi 226

Predictable as heck. Knew the ship I was in was going to sink long beforehand.

In recent memory, only the author of The World God Only Knows had the guts to do something different with the ending other than the obligatory main character end up with main heroine trope.

But Keima did end up with the main heroine in the end!

She just ended up becoming his sister rather than his lover.

EDIT - Chihiro ending was telegraphed long in advance, anyone who was paying attention knew what was going on once they resolved the Goddess arc the way they did.

Hajime no Ippo ch 1146

Is Takamura preparing for a heel turn? I know he likes to joke around about the rest of his teammates 'inferiority' but his attitude is taking it to extreme levels.

Hajime no Ippo ch 1146

Is Takamura preparing for a heel turn? I know he likes to joke around about the rest of his teammates 'inferiority' but his attitude is taking it to extreme levels.

It's not a secret that Kamogawa is more invested in Ippo's career than Takamura's and I think Takamura senses that and it both pisses him off because of how successful he is but also it angers him when Ippo falls short of being worth that investment. So it's more like 'who cares about that failure; why invest in him when I, a much more successful boxer, am right here.'

kasane

lol ippo should be so far along in his character/boxing development but the author royally fucked it up, takamura was basically gary stu and comic relief since chapter 1.

Like the ricardo sparring, date match and all his numerous matches amounted to nothing. He had the same shtick in almost every fight. Persevere, Work hard, Come back KO.

And miyatas match with randy boy is a fucking cop out,

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Helck ch. 73

Those eyes of Rococo's must be something to stun that dude like that at the beginning.

I Am a Hero ch. 235

That plan was pretty clever. Surprisingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom