• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Chihiro is cool.

Tokyo Ghoul doing so well over here that re got licensed licensed as well as the novel and the artbook.

Been to Nice a few times on holiday, utterly sickened by the news.

Time Eliminator 1-5 (END)
zL4YmbG.jpg
A time traveller runs a business that changes history to suit his clients' needs. This was far meatier than I was expecting, with many of its chapters being mini-arcs of around 80 pages each. It started surprisingly strongly, with two excellent and slightly touching tales about Jack the Ripper and the Mona Lisa, but then became bogged down in its unappealing overarching plot and laughable villain. As the arsenic on the cake, it was unceremoniously axed right on an end-of-volume cliffhanger. Impressively disappointing.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sesuji wo Pin! 37
I am still loving it. It's a feel good manga, and i'm glad it got decent ranking in Jump (okay, maybe middle is not very good, but at least it's not the bottom!)

Justice: The Ballad of Wyatt Earp 1

A story about how the Earp brother become known as a legendary badass. Art is decent, but not sure what to feel about making earp brother into bishonen.

Kanojo wa Rokurokubi vol.3 omake

I swear this author make the strangest omake

Sesuji wo Pin! 37
I am still loving it. It's a feel good manga, and i'm glad it got decent ranking in Jump (okay, maybe middle is not very good, but at least it's not the bottom!)
Speaking of which, I need to catch up on this.

Also Ballroom e Youkoso is still on a hiatus, damn it

Revo

One Piece 832

If sanji can resist a woman, he can do anything!
I hope the vinsmoke family uses a fist technique.

still cant believe all the salt TWGOK still manages to produce lol

also it was honestly happening once that arc concluded and you saw the subsequent reactions, particularly from the MC himself.

Otoyomegatari 57

DanielBryanYES.gif

NY Times Top Selling Manga July 3rd - 9th
*1. One-Punch Man Vol.7 (NEW)
*2. Haikyu!! Vol.1 (NEW)
*3. Bleach Vol.67 (NEW)
*4. The Ancient Magus' Bride Vol.5 (NEW)
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.7
*6. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*7. Nisekoi: False Love Vol.16 (NEW)
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*9. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
10. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.3

Lain

The Climber volumes 9-17
nxVb.jpg
oxVb.jpg
pxVb.jpg
qxVb.jpg
rxVb.jpg
sxVb.jpg
txVb.jpg
uxVb.jpg
vxVb.jpg

Hmmm, what to say... Overall, this manga was somewhat of a disappointment for me. It wasn't a bad manga or a bad story per se, but it didn't give me as much enjoyment as I hoped.

I didn't like certain tracts of Buntaro's personality initially, but it was gradually building up once he went back to solo climbing after the middle part of the story because after that he finally became more... human, or normal if you want: marriage, getting a daughter, concentrating on work and family, finding people that accepted him and loved him.
So, seeing this person regress back and jeopardizing everything to go back to climbing, with all the consequences and choices he made during his last trek was just disappointing.

It was also disappointing seeing most everyone take advantage of him at one point or another while, at the same time, these characters are tossed in and out of the story like nothing. Miyamoto is forgotten for most of the story, only to come back to be a dipshit and then thrown out of the story again. Same for the club manager, a nice girl who became a literal whore and both times she came back into the story, it was to mess with Buntaro's life. I could say that it was partly also her fault if Buntaro ends a cripple. If she didn't fuck Takemura the dude wouldn't have lost his mind and wouldn't have taken Buntaro to K2 to try and beat him to show the woman (who doesn't give a fuck about him) how awesome he is so that she'd leave her husabnd to marry him.
And then there is the guy introduced in the initial story during that climbing competition. Toward volume 15/16 I started wondering man, I wonder what happened to that guy. I expected to see him show up again at some point, he seemed like a gifted climber, kind of special and crazy, did the author forget he existed? and woah, he suddenly shows up... dead and preserved on K2.

Obviously, the Climber is based on a novel based on a real person so it's obvious that some choices made by the real person, with their consequences, might not sit well with some readers, though there is the... positive note that, unlike the novel, Buntaro came back alive to his family in the manga (though a cripple) but I just can't shake the bad taste the whole thing left in my mouth because the last 3 volumes or so felt like a regression after finally seeing some growth.

The manga had great art as one would expect (though not at the start, where we even have yaoi level giraffe-necked-guys drawings) and I liked the man against the world/nature/mountain/himself spirit, the soloist struggle, the nerves of steel to be able to endure extreme situations but on a human level it felt short for me. It really wasn't what I hoped it'd be by the end of the tale.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Climber volumes 9-17
nxVb.jpg
oxVb.jpg
pxVb.jpg
qxVb.jpg
rxVb.jpg
sxVb.jpg
txVb.jpg
uxVb.jpg
vxVb.jpg

Hmmm, what to say... Overall, this manga was somewhat of a disappointment for me. It wasn't a bad manga or a bad story per se, but it didn't give me as much enjoyment as I hoped.

I didn't like certain tracts of Buntaro's personality initially, but it was gradually building up once he went back to solo climbing after the middle part of the story because after that he finally became more... human, or normal if you want: marriage, getting a daughter, concentrating on work and family, finding people that accepted him and loved him.
So, seeing this person regress back and jeopardizing everything to go back to climbing, with all the consequences and choices he made during his last trek was just disappointing.

It was also disappointing seeing most everyone take advantage of him at one point or another while, at the same time, these characters are tossed in and out of the story like nothing. Miyamoto is forgotten for most of the story, only to come back to be a dipshit and then thrown out of the story again. Same for the club manager, a nice girl who became a literal whore and both times she came back into the story, it was to mess with Buntaro's life. I could say that it was partly also her fault if Buntaro ends a cripple. If she didn't fuck Takemura the dude wouldn't have lost his mind and wouldn't have taken Buntaro to K2 to try and beat him to show the woman (who doesn't give a fuck about him) how awesome he is so that she'd leave her husabnd to marry him.
And then there is the guy introduced in the initial story during that climbing competition. Toward volume 15/16 I started wondering man, I wonder what happened to that guy. I expected to see him show up again at some point, he seemed like a gifted climber, kind of special and crazy, did the author forget he existed? and woah, he suddenly shows up... dead and preserved on K2.

Obviously, the Climber is based on a novel based on a real person so it's obvious that some choices made by the real person, with their consequences, might not sit well with some readers, though there is the... positive note that, unlike the novel, Buntaro came back alive to his family in the manga (though a cripple) but I just can't shake the bad taste the whole thing left in my mouth because the last 3 volumes or so felt like a regression after finally seeing some growth.

The manga had great art as one would expect (though not at the start, where we even have yaoi level giraffe-necked-guys drawings) and I liked the man against the world/nature/mountain/himself spirit, the soloist struggle, the nerves of steel to be able to endure extreme situations but on a human level it felt short for me. It really wasn't what I hoped it'd be by the end of the tale.

Awesome manga. I really love the art during latter volume. But yeah, later arc was depressing. He got his happiness, a family, and a decent job, but he risk it all by climbing. In another positive manga, his decision will be supported and he will return with all its glory, but in this manga, even if you follow your dream, there's a chance the world will fuck you up. Life ain't easy, and everything could potentially ruin you.

Hime no dameshi 1

Chubby (not really, lol) OL girl enjoying a late night dinner after hard work.
In only because i like cute girl eating stuff.

Kaguya wants to be confessed 26

I can see how Shirogane will handle the next confession problem
A: I want to hug her
Shirogane: Go get a job

A: I want to kiss her
Shirogane: Go get a job

A: I want to xxx her
Shirogane: Go get a job!

Not Lives 50
yo, what the fuck did you just say?
bloody rko out of nowhere

Helck 74.1
#Gagmanga

Uchi no Maou Kamimasen yo 33
Well, that would explain his eating

Suki x Suki 4
poor guy. He is stuck with this creepy girl forever lol.

Zweizer

Banned
The Climber volumes 9-17

I admit it's not a manga that'll please everyone, but the awesome art and gripping drama made it a compelling read to me. While the characters are far from pleasant, especially considering how most of them turn out, I'd argue it's a refreshing portrayal that goes against the typical chivalrous rivals/teammates depicted in most sports manga, even if it takes a bit too far in the other direction.

The Seven Deadly Sins
Escanor is such a boss. I really hope he just wrecks Estarossa and puts the fear of God into the rest of the Commandments. Although I have the sneaking suspicion that Mel's brother is the actual strongest among them.

Magi
Aladdin wrecked Arba, Hakuryuu no sold her possession attempt, they found Alibaba and everyone's happy again. Given how "ow the edge" some of the arcs in this were going I'm shocked they let this much happy friendship time happen.

And apparently in the next chapter,
Alibaba proposes to Mor and she accepts right there and then.

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 494

Well, that's one way to pretty much erase the little progress that was made over the past ~30 chapters.
And of course the power of friendship will overcome this odds. Even though the power gaps are pretty much enormous.
Dumb.

Yuzumori-san 2
Goddamn, only 2 chapters in and they've already reached the hand-holding stage. I suspect chapter 3 will involve police sirens.

e: Yuricam 21

This should be the plot for the next Yakuza game. Had to read back to refresh my memory about what was happening, though I guess erratic releases aren't anything new for this series. 1 down, 2 to go.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuricam ch21

A mere yakuza can't stand in the way of aworld-class gigolette!

Yuzumori-san ch2

So lewd.

Joshikausei ch50

Such an airhead.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I just realized, English Jump is kind of fucked soon.
Bleach is ending, Toriko is ending, Nisekoi is ending, that's three of their featured series gone.
I know there will be replacement series, but what are the chances they'll last? The series that premiered the week after Naruto ended was Takujo no Ageha, that table tennis series that died pretty quickly.

They might have to lean into one the recent series they had Jump Starts for. Of course, they rejected them because fan interest was low.

Bleach is ending, Toriko is ending, Nisekoi is ending, that's three of their featured series gone.
I know there will be replacement series, but what are the chances they'll last? The series that premiered the week after Naruto ended was Takujo no Ageha, that table tennis series that died pretty quickly.

They might have to lean into one the recent series they had Jump Starts for. Of course, they rejected them because fan interest was low.

Maybe Haikyu? It's first volume just came out here and took second place in its first week (it was against One Punch Man vol 7's first week).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

They just re-run stuff until something else comes along.

Moaradin

Hopefully they add Haikyuu and Gintama. Was bummed out when I learned that English jump is missing a few big hitters from Japan Jump.

Would bet on Haikyuu being added, could see them picking up whatever series reviewed the best in their jump start runs (yaiba, mononofu, samon, batsu) or pick up something that they missed the boat on that's still going either zumou or saiki. Don't think they'd get dance club or that lewd series.

Edit: dunno if they'd bother with gintama considering its close to ending

BatDan

Haikyuu is likely, it'd need a big recap since there's over 200 chapters now.

Gin Tama won't happen. Along with it also close to ending, Viz tried to sell Gin Tama years ago but cancelled it after 23 volumes.

It's possible we'll get Kimetsu or Samon. Mononofu and Demon Diary aren't ranking too well but we'll see.

dumbyugi

Haikyuu seems like an obvious choice. No way Gintama gets added when Viz has long cancelled the English volume releases. I imagine they'll just keep trying new stuff until something sticks.

Haikyuu is likely, it'd need a big recap since there's over 200 chapters now.

Gin Tama won't happen. Along with it also close to ending, Viz tried to sell Gin Tama years ago but cancelled it after 23 volumes.

It's possible we'll get Kimetsu or Samon. Mononofu and Demon Diary aren't ranking too well but we'll see.

My guesses:
Haikyu: Most likely replacement, though I think they will just start from where the japanese issue is rather then recap (Viz assumes you've been reading its scanlations).
Gintama: As you said no chance.
Hinomaru Zumo: Little to no chance, I just can't see them selling Sumo over here.
Isobe Isobee Monogatari: Does not translate overwell....
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Maybe, the art style is the biggest issue which I feel would turn off American audiences.
Kochira: hahahahah, no.
Mononofu: Could be axed if the next batch is decent, and like with Hinomaru Shogi just wouldn't work here.
Psi-nan: Nope.
Samon-kun wa Summoner: Maybe...but doubtful.
Straighten Up!: Nope, really can't see it.
Takuan to Batsu: This is going to be axed within the next two months.
Yūna-san: To Love-Ru's are never making it over.

From the bit of the scanlations I've read past the jump start kimetsu no yaiba seems like the strongest series of the bunch if they were to pick just one of the old jump starts to add.

BatDan

Saiki K could happen, there is an anime now and it was licensed by Funimation. But it's a low chance. Gag manga are difficult to translate. Same reason we're not getting Isobe.

Yuna-san is a big "no". They didn't even do a Jump Start for it.

Got to wonder what Jump has in the stables if they were willing to finally throw down the axe on Bleach. While its sales have greatly declined overtime, it still is a strong seller for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom