• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

How is that possible.
Kaneki is full on Loco, probably one of the more deranged people in the story and that says something.

Well this chapter explained why Kaneki doesn't have black finger nails anymore.

Lol.

this fucking arc man

wz9YvOc.jpg

it... it's so good

O215qxF.jpg

Lain

Man... maybe cos I couldn't fight my way through Oresama teacher's panelling and structure, but really? Horimiya has gotten so... I dunno... bland...

To give a bit more context, I've read only 1 volume of Horimiya (2nd should be coming in next week), 2 of Nozaki-kun and 17 of Oresama Teacher.
Oresama doesn't have great paneling but I find it way more enjoyable to follow compared to Nozaki simply because Oresama actually makes me laugh (and I find the stupidity, or quirkiness, of the characters lovable), Nozaki really doesn't.
Taking away the part with Seo trolling, volume 2 of Nozaki was as boring as the first volume for me.

Horimiya caught me in more from the start compared to Nozaki thanks to the more... expected structure (I loved K-ON and the college followup but 4koma isn't exactly my preferred way to read long stories). I'll have to keep reading to see how both Horimiya and Nozaki develop, if Horimiya will end bland for me too or Nozaki's character grow on me.

Anteater

speaking of tokyo ghoul, 2 more volumes til the original is complete in my region, god damn the translation has a lot of errors though, it's why I read multiple translations on the web

maybe i should just go and learn japanese or something :(

cover arts are so fucking awesome tho for TG

Shengar

Tomo-chan 270

Jun's parent did this on purpose!

Firstly there's the Mangaka himself, reading the Manga got me the sense that he's, in general, a very unhappy person and that he sees his wife as the only positive thing in his life, which I find to be incredibly depressing.
Rather than being depressed or unhappy, it is just the author having low self esteem, where he thought what he do and what he like is pretty normal for anyone that have similar predicament. As far as we can see from the 6 chapters, the author himself actually looks pretty well known among the veteran doujinka. His one friend got their LN adapted to anime, then another one have connection to big factory in chinese, and last was that guy who have his sister working as an okami for a famous inn where a mangaka circle consisted of Japanese manga legend put their signature at it. So rather than his life being unhappy, it is just he thought his life is an ordinary for an otaku like him. That's why despite his low self esteem, he still share his life with Yue because she's what he thought really extraordinary happening in his life.

The other is the marriage itself, there's this undertone to the story which implies that older Japanese man that can't find a girl to marry in Japan are marrying young Chinese women, which in turn are marrying these older Japanese man because they want to get a better life outside of China. This is of course never explicitly stated, and I'm sure the author himself isn't even self-aware of it, but the amount of Japanese male/Chinese female marriages referenced in the story and even the description of his meeting with his wife give a pretty strong impression of this..
I don't think it's common occurrence where old Japanese who can't find someone to marry will goes to China to search for one. It is a rare case which even the author found the idea pretty absurd and if it not because his long time friend not pushing, pretty sure he will decline to accept such proposal. The arrange meeting between the author Yue due to many circumstances that otherwise impossible to recreate. Then there's this fact so far, they're the only Japanese-Chinese couple that come from arranged marriage. We don't know how Yue's sister ends up with his Japanese husband (plus they live in China), while Wang-sensei met her husband in Japan while studying in a university there.

I appreciate your thought Dani, and here's hoping someone will take over the translation :3

Algorithm is the darkest kind of magic

Jintor

To give a bit more context, I've read only 1 volume of Horimiya (2nd should be coming in next week), 2 of Nozaki-kun and 17 of Oresama Teacher.
Oresama doesn't have great paneling but I find it way more enjoyable to follow compared to Nozaki simply because Oresama actually makes me laugh (and I find the stupidity, or quirkiness, of the characters lovable), Nozaki really doesn't.
Taking away the part with Seo trolling, volume 2 of Nozaki was as boring as the first volume for me.

Horimiya caught me in more from the start compared to Nozaki thanks to the more... expected structure (I loved K-ON and the college followup but 4koma isn't exactly my preferred way to read long stories). I'll have to keep reading to see how both Horimiya and Nozaki develop, if Horimiya will end bland for me too or Nozaki's character grow on me.

Horimiya is really great for a while but it hits a point where you're like "wait, the story actually kinda ended a while ago and it's just going".

Of course, if you don't connect to Nozaki-style humour it's probably not going to improve for you. I don't think gag comedies really can.

Lain

Horimiya is really great for a while but it hits a point where you're like "wait, the story actually kinda ended a while ago and it's just going".

Of course, if you don't connect to Nozaki-style humour it's probably not going to improve for you. I don't think gag comedies really can.

I went from thinking AssClass was disappointingly unfunny (volume 1) to loving it (volume 2), so there's a possibility Nozaki's comedy could grow on me. I love the reaction faces of the characters at least.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Spirit Circle 43-44
Wow, that was beautiful. Everything that come before this all for this scene, and of course 'the most insignificant events' is actually the one that play part in bringing this circle to an end. Amazing.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch270

RIP Tomo.

Kingdom ch465

That wasn't very smart, Keisha.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch67

Another asshole appears.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spirit Circle 43-44

I need to reread this whole thing haha.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

diaspora

Apparently this Binbougami Ga! thing is pretty good. I'm enjoying chapter 1 at least.

Edit: Momiji and Ichiko both resemble Dee Reynolds in personality.

Skab

Berserk 1 - 344

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS? WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG TO READ IT AGAIN?

Also, I'm now convinced that the most satisfying panel is manga history will be the one that shows Guts killing Griffith.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 207

The above ground council breaking out the big guns. Also,

QT4rPDs.jpg

Berserk 1 - 344

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS? WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG TO READ IT AGAIN?

Also, I'm now convinced that the most satisfying panel is manga history will be the one that shows Guts killing Griffith.

I'm in the minority that actually would prefer if Guts doesn't have to do anything: I would love Griffith's dream being shattered by his own hubris.

Skab

I'm in the minority that actually would prefer if Guts doesn't have to do anything: I would love Griffith's dream being shattered by his own hubris.

You know what? Yes. That would also be awesome. Let him completely fuck himself over like he did the first time.

Then Guts can CLEAVE HIM IN HALF

Wiseblade

Honestly, that's letting him off too lightly. That scum in hawk's clothing put his brothers in arms through the worst death imaginable. The people who brought him within reach of his goal. The people who stuck by him after he threw it all away.

Pen to Chocolate 1-21/END
Ironic how a manga about a mangka who keeps getting axed got (most likely) axed in the end. It was an okay read, nothing really great, nothing truly bad. If nothing else it was short (20 page chapters).

Quasar

Chihayafuru 163 - so she actually did it. Thought for sure she'd lose at the end. Now what. She still hasn't even replied to his confession all those chapters ago.

Quasar

I don't know whether to feel pity or be disgusted.

Its true though. Starting out watching anime I watched and liked Suzaka enough to want more so I read the rest of Suzuka as my first manga experience. Then read A Town Where You Live, Princess Lucia and now Fuuka.

I've been enjoying Fuuka, more than most music manga/anime I've tried (aside from kids on the slope). Though the whole Suzuka follow up bit is just a trick really. Fuuka could have been any girl really.

Wiseblade

Its true though. Starting out watching anime I watched and liked Suzaka enough to want more so I read the rest of Suzuka as my first manga experience. Then read A Town Where You Live, Princess Lucia and now Fuuka.

I've been enjoying Fuuka, more than most music manga/anime I've tried (aside from kids on the slope). Though the whole Suzuka follow up bit is just a trick really. Fuuka could have been any girl really.
I've decided

IT'S DISGUST

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom