• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Nisekoi END

Despite everything I had fun with it. Top tier faces, generally funny if not frustrating in some ways.

Final chapter is pretty eh but I've seen far worse. I just assume that no one who writes manga knows how to properly end their series. Y-san transcending dimensions to win his waifu is hilariously next level though. Tsugumi also remains the best but that was always true.

And for the last time, truly and certainly, and it almost makes me melancholy that I can't do this anymore, Kosaki Onodera is the worst.

LeleSocho

Banned
I had to have someone explain this Y-san thing to me since i joined the Nisekoi party very late and it's awesome because the relationship between he and Marika is essentially canon now.
He's the true winner of the manga.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Piece- Oh shit, we got some real fighters up in here now.

Bleach- Eh, I enjoyed this little bit. Also, Rukia's gentle blush as she becomes Captain made it all worth it for me. God, that's what Bleach lacked in this recent arc, little cute moments like Rukia doing stuff. That might be the big problem overall, not enough Rukia.

Boku Hero- Yeah, I'd fall for Deku too. I'm still waiting for the scene where he takes off his shirt and people go "holy shit he's super buff"

Haikyuu!! 217
CpCz4YtWIAAuBEU.jpg:large

Being tall always seemed like itd be scary and inconvenient. (only 5'5 here). In any case I guess Hinata is surprised about that and that puts him as taller than even the tallest Karasuno.

Awesome coaching from Hinata.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi

IT would have been funnier if he got to "meet" Chitoge at the end and when he went to the place where they met, he walked up to a gravestone and it said:

RIP
Kirisaki Chitoge
Was Hit By a Truck

Zweizer

Banned
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch40

Hearts be wavering~

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch13

All this for some turtles.

Shokugeki no Soma ch178

It's nice to see them get along like that. Hopefully them facing the Elite means it'll be more interesting.

Haikyuu is way more popular than Toriko, that's how these things work.

it's a better series too

I like Haikyuu but I watch the anime now compared to the manga

so basically.... #WhyDoesn'tTheWorldCaterToMySelfishness

--------
Toriko 382
1329170717750922055.gif

WWHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the shiny form before the final one

G.ZZZ

I like Haikyuu but I watch the anime now compared to the manga

so basically.... #WhyDoesn'tTheWorldCaterToMySelfishness

--------
Toriko 382
1329170717750922055.gif

WWHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the shiny form before the final one

It's going on that this is like Aizen Butterfly. Whale king megajobbed, strongest of the 8 kings and did nothing, basically was all mother's snake sacrificing herself to enter the black hole but Neo got away anyway. Acacia's forms are one worse than another, and Pair got rekt too. Midora gonna job next chapter too to show how strong neocacia is now, and meanwhile he get jobbed Toriko gonna eat Center and God and this torture can end. Toriko ended at the human world.

It's going on that this is like Aizen Butterfly. Whale king megajobbed, strongest of the 8 kings and did nothing, basically was all mother's snake sacrificing herself to enter the black hole but Neo got away anyway. Acacia's forms are one worse than another, and Pair got rekt too. Midora gonna job next chapter too to show how strong neocacia is now, and meanwhile he get jobbed Toriko gonna eat Center and God and this torture can end. Toriko ended at the human world.
MIdora jobbing

AW HELL NAH
please
blame nisekoi

Chitoge fan here but that chapter had less substance then normal ones

I'm going to talk about a manga, Ballroom e Yokoso, and also a bit about manga in general.
Japanese comic has a certain degree of fame of having a great, almost ridicule variety of stories and setups, in comparison with European or American comic. From cop drama, to political thriller, to superheroes, horror, science fiction, passing to every kind of romance you can imagine of, to comics about climbing, diving, cooking, strolling, horse riding, collectors, racing, every kind of sport be popular or minority, betting (an entire subgenre almost!), people overclocking computers, well... you get the idea. And also competitive ballroom dancing, the idea behind Ballroom e Yokoso.
Manga also have a reputation of being able to take any kind of boring hobby or sport and give you the super intense, vibrant version where everything is amazing. From the 'slightly enhanced' version of the real thing to the over the topness. Something slow like Golf, chess? You can bet some mangaka can do it incredible thrilling, even for people who has no prior knowledge of that activity.

Beautiful drawing style
ILDn6F3.jpg
anH1vpe.jpg

So Tomo Takeuchi, a female author which no known previous works (!) comes with Ball e Yokoso, also know as simply Welcome to he Ballroom, and gives an incredible version of the sport of competitive Ballroom dancing. And she gives in spades, with a incredibly intense and just magical version of ballroom dancing, using the typical shonen setup of a young man who starts the sport from zero, and gradually gaining ability through hard work and talent. And god, so much hot bloodness, hype, passion, fury and excitement, in the most unexpected of places, a comic about ballroom dancing. As a master of her work, her drawing conjures human emotions with the easiness of snapping fingers. In fact, even if this isn't the precisely the only 'passionate manga about sport/hobby/art', it's one of the best ones I've read, it has something special that places it above most.

A specialty of the author, faces full of emotion
BQ5qRm3.png
da3BNhh.png

LfppN0e.png
HvyYTjQ.png

H3nijLx.png
x1Ldv8Q.png

Don't be confused, this comic doesn't reach unrealistic, over-the-top craziness with named 'ultimate skills', or ridiculous abilities, or crazy plot twists, while the setup is classical shonen, it's more in the middle territory of shonen and seinen, though inside of the 'realistic' style it's almost bursting out with larger than life emotion and passion. Here, everyone is INTENSE AS HELL. And, it works, instead of resulting too hammy, you get sucked into the story.

Dramatic coaches / Manly tears and manly support
X0ed4AM.png
5YyYXVg.png

And all thanks to the drawing. Not that the writing is bad or anything, it's clearly above average, but this comic clearly points out that yeah, this is a visual medium, and even more, manga in general usually has a more pure visual narration [than European or American comic], full of style and dynamism, and again this work presents itself as squarely 'manga' in that regard. in special Takeuchi has two strong points, the dynamic in her poses and panelling and a great domain of faces, showing whatever emotion,
So this post is going to contain lots of images for us to enjoy! Sorry for people with mobile connections.

Manly sacrifices / Intense hand holding
jNsOIzk.png
FHKVEP7.png

The story is very straight-forward, simple or 'classic' we could say, the approach used isn't really unique or particularly complex, but with a very good characterization that serves as hook to support the weight of the story beyond the pretty pages. There is a good range in the characters with ambition, jealousy, insecurity, love, companionship, fears, trust, and more playing a role in the story, but I just don't want to spoil it.
And you know, despite my remarks of the the intense the drawing, said characterization can be subtle too.

Hot guys:
vhGysC9.png
LSkoWxi.png
RgiC5oK.png
PmXp8nr.png

While not a 'fanservice' series, it's one of those, of the sexy ones, she can't help but draw sensuality in it, and very appropriately with the theme of dancing, as they also practice some latino dances full of sexiness. Everyone here is hot and fabulous.

Hot girls:
ZPuxHmx.png
G2XFucA.png
5mKwO7L.png
GZSoRSK.png

Do not open this, it's too much
http://i.imgur.com/e99X6wg.png
Nuclear-grade MILFs
http://i.imgur.com/D2vucxZ.png

Do I recommend the series? Well... the author is doing a Togashi on us, the series is right now in a longish hiatus. Ouch. But you know what. I don't regret starting it, in the last weeks I was feeling a bit off, I wasn't getting fun in games nor I was finding any really good tv series, and this comic showed me that doh, of course there are good things out there!
edit: oh, it got a nomination in the Manga Taisho Awards.
Some jokes
2JHF1gb.png
RkuJcml.png

Hey MangaGAF.

After all these years of harem romcom, surely we have become experienced enough to write one that can last over 200 chapters.

How would you do it?
Harem x survival game. The girls have to win the MC's heart by any means possible, and every month he chooses one he isn't interested in to get killed off. The comedy practically writes itself.

Highly recommend Ballroom E Youkoso as well. The art is vivid and gives the dances a really explosive style, it's bloody lovely and exciting

Too bad it's been on hiatus for half a year now BUT I'M WAITING DILIGENTLY

Shouta

Ballroom e Youkoso is good though it reminds me of Blizzard Axel in that it makes this graceful thing into really intense stuff. Blizzard Axel is just a lot more shounen, lol.

Hi, manga GAF! I recently finished watching Stranger Things (and X-Files last year), and I'm wondering: Are there any good supernatural investigation manga?

There's anime like Kagewani, Mushi-shi, Mononoke and Paranoia Agent but for anime I'm having trouble of thinking stuff up.

If you want something similar (like an anthology series, monster of the week) then I'd go for Franken Fran, although that skews more heavily towards horror.

Edit: Case Records of Professor Munakata is a good one as well

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OT trying to explain why Re:Zero is popular but not wanting to just say "because Rem is in it."
KuGsj.gif

OT trying to explain why Re:Zero is popular but not wanting to just say "because Rem is in it."
KuGsj.gif

I suppose it appears greatly refreshing and a "deconstruction" to people who watched Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, .Hack or the other 10,000 alternate world series because Re:Zero differentiates itself by being Groundhog Day. I suppose after watching 200 of those shows "Hold on doesn't immortality actually suck" sounds good. It's also better then those (scept Log Horizon) so it helps out a lot.

Articalys

Regardless of my actual feelings for Nisekoi, it's always a little bittersweet to have something you've been following for five years reach a definitive end.

Having said that, Raku was still a terrible MC.
KuGsj.gif
How spoilery is that thread? Saw it come up on the new thread tweetbot, and I've had it on my "to watch later" list, but I'm wondering how people are answering.

Strimei

Attack on Titan - 84

(putting this in spoilers because its still so early)

Well I haven't actually read it in full yet but given the explosion of comments I saw elsewhere...

Can't say I'm happy that Armin was saved and Titanized, his sacrifice was quite powerful.

Re: Zero is popular because it's a good series.

It's not that fucking hard. The absolute REEEEEEing that goes on from pedantic shit-bags that hate that it due to watching 2 seconds of the first episode and seeing it starts using a transported to fantasy trope or hearing what it's about and writing it off or reading Light Novel spoilers and deciding it's edgy tryhard garbage is almost humorous at this point from just how often they have to try and slip in passive-aggressive jabs against the people who watch it and enjoy it as if it brings them physical fucking discomfort from someone thinking something they don't like could possibly have merit.

The show has a large number of issues and critiques that one could easily bring up and lodge against it. And the people who tried it and didn't like it or watched it and have continuing issues and explain them well often bring up very good points or point out silly logical trips and problems.

There just isn't much of that type of discussion.

It's mostly just whinging and snide cutting remarks because people get excited about a show they like and freak out as if they were watching it with their friends going "I can't believe that shit oh man the feeeeeeellllsssss!", almost like they're not enjoying it in the proper, measured and accepted response.

mdubs

Banned
Nisekoi END
Final chapter is pretty eh but I've seen far worse. I just assume that no one who writes manga knows how to properly end their series. Y-san transcending dimensions to win his waifu is hilariously next level though.

This is the greatest thing ever, bless you Y-san from Chiba, you are the true victor of Nisekoi

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 40

The girls are making big moves, and Ooba just casually drops what's about to go down.

Also, Winter? Asano pls.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm going to talk about a manga, Ballroom e Yokoso, and also a bit about manga in general.
Japanese comic has a certain degree of fame of having a great, almost ridicule variety of stories and setups, in comparison with European or American comic. From cop drama, to political thriller, to superheroes, horror, science fiction, passing to every kind of romance you can imagine of, to comics about climbing, diving, cooking, strolling, horse riding, collectors, racing, every kind of sport be popular or minority, betting (an entire subgenre almost!), people overclocking computers, well... you get the idea. And also competitive ballroom dancing, the idea behind Ballroom e Yokoso.
Manga also have a reputation of being able to take any kind of boring hobby or sport and give you the super intense, vibrant version where everything is amazing. From the 'slightly enhanced' version of the real thing to the over the topness. Something slow like Golf, chess? You can bet some mangaka can do it incredible thrilling, even for people who has no prior knowledge of that activity.
SOLD! I'll give this a read.

Hey MangaGAF.

After all these years of harem romcom, surely we have become experienced enough to write one that can last over 200 chapters.

How would you do it?

Riichi mahjong manga harem.
In the future, mahjong is dominated by woman instead of men.
The protagonist is a male mahjong prodigy trying to l to reclaim the title 'Those who step foot in heaven'. His specialty is he always achieve Kazoe Yakuman without dora. So basically, Saki, but replace the yuri with harem. Between mahjong match, there will be harem hijinx.

I think i've read too many mahjong manga (lol)

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 29

Ishigami, the unluckiest man in the stuco. I love how the author separate sport and table tennis club and also putting manga research club below Going Home Club.

Prison School 223

Rip VP.
And of course ass-man know a person personality just by seeing their ass. Yup, dude a legend.

Golden Times 1-4

Highschool student got involved in a sexy situation with his sexy teacher.
1st chapter: urination. Yup, it's golden times alright.
2nd chapter:This is my 2nd suppository related chapter i've read this week.
3rd chapter: Breast sucking part
4th chapter: Bath accident

It's pretty much ecchi manga 'checklist'

elyetis

I'm going to talk about a manga, Ballroom e Yokoso

Do I recommend the series? Well... the author is doing a Togashi on us, the series is right now in a longish hiatus. Ouch. But you know what. I don't regret starting it, in the last weeks I was feeling a bit off, I wasn't getting fun in games nor I was finding any really good tv series, and this comic showed me that doh, of course there are good things out there!.
Love that manga, probably the only manga in months where I was really really waiting for the next chapter release. I probably reread the available chapters 3 times in the past 6 month.
That hiatus is killing me, I tried getting into Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso, but it's really not the same.

jitsu wa watashi wa 137

aizawa is right, shimada and shiho is going to become reality if this continues. Also pretty sure shima is the future pervert overlord whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom