• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Gepetto s2ch57-58

and into the fights we go
love that it flashbacked to alidoro saying the same thing pinocchio did

Keyman 50

Well, looks like Butler stopped playing around. Man, as the chapter goes on the lines used to draw him get more and more sketchy and abstract as he gets angrier and angrier so much so that it's almost like he's bursting out of the constraints of the manga artist's ability to properly draw him.

Meanwhile Franck is telling all this to Alex like "I got better"

Jintor

Hataraku maou sama + high school spinoff

Regrettably both are stock standard ln adaptions with no flare. Dropped

Maou no kyoushitsu

Fun little one shot. The yankee-kun author can really cram personality into his work

Yamajo to 218

Sometimes Im just reading this for the Miyamura Yamada Kurosaki love triangle, other times Im reading it just to see how happy Yamada and Miyamura can make the other characters who have struggles. The past was very intriguing this time and Im curious of why they had to forget it, especially when some characters were way happy and with friends then but are loners now.

Favorite moment. Perhaps in some odd twist of fate she can make at least Kurosaki Miyamura canon.
CpyM2QHWAAI9ERq.jpg

Finished Akira earlier this afternoon. Took me longer than expected to buy all the volumes, but it was really good and I'm glad I read it. Had such a cool aesthetic to it. Otomo's art was just insane in the second half especially. The amount of detail in all of the architecture, debris, body horror with Tetsuo, etc. was just breathtaking at times. The way he uses several pages and spreads in a row to convey the destruction was very effective at showing the raw power and just energy being used.

I just can't get over the American release either. The fact that it's still left-to-right in English is almost hilarious at times. One page Tetsuo will be missing his left arm, then on a spread it'll be the other. Plus there were quite a few typos that you would expect to be corrected between the Dark Horse release and the Kodansha one... Still, they're a nice size which I really liked. Part of me wishes I waited for that anniversary set next year that returns it to right-to-left in English, but it was announced after I started buying it of course. Oh well.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Golden Kamuy ch. 61

Shiraishi already getting swindled out of his money, and for some shitty sticks no less.

Dungeon Meshi ch. 27

I'm surprised resurrecting his sister worked out as well as it did. Half expected her to be brought back with an animal leg or something.

Groundless - The One-eyed Sniper ch. 13

Hmm, the humor attempts in the first half of this chapter were kind of corny. That bit with Sophia thinking she had helped those people and Yazuha needling her right after though, sheesh.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch385

Such violence.

Genshiken Nidaime ch126

Or how Kasukabe gets shit done in one chapter.

Seems like it's finally ending next chapter?

Time for some Girls und Manga.

GIRLS und PANZER 1-21 (END)

Yukari und Panzer. A straightforward variant of the anime with a handful of changes, including a welcome promotion to MC status for the fluffy-haired best girl. The price for her prominence is an attention deficit for the other characters (except her waifu), making them seem overly 2D if this is your first exposure to them. The tank battles can't match the audiovisual impact of the anime, a problem compounded by knowing in advance how they were going to play out, although at least the Anzio battle was significantly different from the OVA. Despite these + other flaws, having Yukari take centre stage was enough to make me forgive its failings. Particularly since we got to see her competence at captaining her own tank.

GIRLS und PANZER - Lovey-Dovey Panzer 1-5 (END)

Girls und Ecchi. Lewd 4-koma silliness where the characters are barely recognisable shells of their
75mm
canon selves, and the jokes have the comedic accuracy of Momo's gunning. Given its brief length / lack of substance, it's difficult to see it as anything but a trial run for the following follow-up by the same artist:-

GIRLS und PANZER - Motto Love Love Sakusen desu! 1-32

eUWdmQF.jpg

Girls und Komödie. It's more gag humour, but generally far less risque in its content. One of my main complaints with GuP so far (movie pending) is that it stars an extensive but underdeveloped cast, a trait that actually makes it well-suited to this kind of material. Not only because each team is given a chance in the spotlight and the constant shuffling allows the comedy to stay relatively fresh, but also because a character's OOC zaniness doesn't bother me as much when their attributes aren't that well-defined in the first place. A definite step up from its predecessor. I'd like another cup of Darjeeling please.

GIRLS und PANZER - Gekitou! Maginot-sen desu!! 1-10 (END)

Girls und Vomit. Effectively an additional side-arc of the main story, focusing on an otherwise unknown school. It shares the same artist as the original GuP manga and feels similar in a number of other ways, including with its underwhelming tank-à-tête. Eclair and her circumstances are actually interesting relative to the other rival schools though, so I'd like to see her make an appearance outside of this spin-off. Being turned into pizza by Anzio off-camera doesn't count.

GIRLS und PANZER - The proverb of love / talk of little love (doujin)

Y6fSocg.png

Girls und Zweizer. It's typical Aki Eda fare (i.e. fluffier than Yukari's hair), but far more palatable because of its casting choices. After reading this, I feel like I can finally forgive her for all her terrible Touhou doujin. A pleasant point to pause this splurge on, particularly after seeing Yukari fail to hit her target in other material.

The other GuP series aren't finished yet (Little Army is excluded since it has an ongoing sequel) so I'll check them out when they're wrapped up.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Keyman - The hand of judgement

finally got around to catching up on this, dayum the art is so good in the past 10 or so chapters, even compared to the usual high standard of this series

Zweizer

Banned
I have yet to read or watch Girls und Panzer, but these reviews were entertaining to read nevertheless, so I approve.

Kase-san ch16

So fluffy~

Onikiri-sama no Hakoiri Musume 1-23/END
Another middle school boy + demon girl manga, though whether by design (or due to its axing) much more slice of lifeish then one would except. Sadly the axing caused the final chapter to be a jumbled mess, and felt like pages/information was missing from it. If nothing else I did enjoy the art style for this.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Genshiken nidaime latest
About time Madarame grow some balls. Yup, this need to be done.

Spotted flower latest
Baby ever after.

Saki 1-100
A tales about highschool girls playing competitive mahjong so that they could probably afford underwear. Seriously, why is everyone going commando? At least the one that wear skirt does...

As far as mahjong goes, it involve supernatural power called luck. No one IRL could pull Rinshan several times in a row or making your opponent never reach tenpai. I find Nodoka playstyle to be the most realistic since it involve analyzing opponent discard and trying to make sure she has good wait.

Read this if you're into supernatural mahjong battle with cute JK.

Jintor

I really want to read gup ribbon warrior and little army when theyre done. Ribbon warrior in particular has a really cool perspective on that weirdo world

Verelios

Tsubakuma 01

Muscle power
W0SaDe0.jpg
That...is my fetish.

Tower of God

Huh, am I the only one finding this arc cumbersome? Stop trying to sympathize with psychopaths and hit them with bangs already. Also, damn selfish Baam for actually saying 'Well, yeah, but I need to go after Rachel...and stuff'. Really.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yokohama Shopping Trip - fin.

This was pretty relaxing, right?

Nearly 150 chapters of a robot (named Alpha) with her camera as she explores the world around her cafe and makes new friends. And it's consistently charming, from beginning to end. Ashinano nailed everything here - the quieter moments of Alpha looking out into the sunset, the easygoing conversations with her friends, the bright, dreamlike scenery. It's all pulled together by this nostalgic warmth too, which I loved. Really, I can't think of anything I took issue with.

A great Summertime read.

Tomo 385 - 386

Jun taking the bullet

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 1 - 6

Saw this in Jump and decided to start reading it. Seems like it could be interesting. Its fairly lewd so far.

Shengar

In this agreement North Stars Pictures, Inc. is called “NSP”, and NSP together with its affiliated companies and owners, the other parties involved in the SILENT MANGA AUDITION® and their editors, officers and other employees are collectively called the “SILENT MANGA AUDITION Committee.”

So this is what the Fist of the North Star author doing lately.

dani_dc

Berserk 253

So, uh...Guts is resting in a bed (yo what?), his group consists of only children, a childlike woman and elves and he is sticking his nose into noble marriages and cares about getting back Farneze to babysit Casca?
And there is no gore in sight.
I'm confused.

Well casca is the most important thing for him at the moment, makes sense he'd try to get back the one person capable of baby-sitting casca.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly, I enjoyed Nidaime. It's not as funny or insightful as the first but for a harem rom-com it's pretty fun, and also conclusive.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch386

So he's lost the bet?

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! ch37.5

Being the older sibling is tough.

New Game: The Spinoff! ch2-3

They got along pretty quick~

On the contrary, let them have their fun!

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch6

Yet another dense protagonist.

DEAD Tube ch19-21

Well, at least the internal squabbles are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom