• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon is resuming at the end of August.

Yeah, I know. I forgot it hadn't actually ended, too.

Fbh

Gold Member
Promised neverland 3.

Still pretty fun and mom was really creepy this chapter in a good way.

Generic shonen prediction:
she tried to escape many years ago but her friends got killed and some random traumatic event has her set on surviving so now she has this job. She cares about the kids to an extent but she was told it's either them or her.
After an emotional confrontation with the main characters she gives her life to save theirs

Ma Curriculum! 1-7

A demon (read: cute girl) comes to the human world for training, which consists of her being a jerk and increasing the negative emotions of those around her. Initially I figured this was going to be primarily comedic, with The Power of Friendship preventing the lead from fulfilling her task, but it's turned out to have a slightly meaner tone than I was expecting. For now, at least. Nothing special, but it's relatively light, has a cast consisting predominantly of cute girls and is easy to follow, so followed.

Misa-chan (one-shot)

Brief one-shot in which a mother is overly attached to her daughter. I'm aware that this is the author's debut work, but you just can't cram a story of this nature into 8 pages and expect it to have anywhere near the intended impact. Still, the grisly subject matter and art style mean that I'll be interested in anything else they produce in the future.

Date A Live vol 5-7 (LN)
HHWmeBu.jpg

I'm convinced that DaL has the finest waifus in all the world. I remember seeing art of the Yamai sisters ages ago and feeling underwhelmed, but having now been properly introduced to them, they're such selfless spirits that I can forgive their wardrobe deficiencies. Their volume was simple but sweet, in contrast to the antagonistic sibling rivalry that I was expecting following their initial exchange. I wouldn't have minded some further information about their history and 'split', but perhaps that's still to come.

The spotlight of this 2nd season belongs to Miku though. I've been wondering for years whether "Lily Miku" meant what I thought it meant, and I was pleased to discover that it did, with her arc containing more "onee-samas" than Marimite. Her desire to amass a gigantic yuri harem was truly an admirable one, and her transition from selfish sociopath to sincere singer made for the most satisfying character development / resolution so far. Add in her design + her flower gardening in the side stories and she's now vying for 2nd best girl status with Origami.

Speaking of best girls, Kurumi made her magnificent return in this arc, and proceeded not only to salvage Shidou from the depths of despair, but also to make her adversaries look utterly incompetent in the process. If I gushed about her as much as I wanted to then this post would turn into a (light) novel, so I'll settle for saying that she further cemented her position as the most intriguing character in the franchise, as well as proving herself to be a surprisingly reliable ally when the chips are down. IIRC she's absent for the next few volumes sadly.

While I've seen people complaining that that anime rushed parts of vols 6-7, the more recently released Director's Cut seems to have remedied this with its additional footage. At the very least, I didn't notice any sizeable discrepancies between it and the LN.

When Jitsu wa Watashi wa hits it's stride there is no other manga comedy that comes close. It took a while to find out what it wanted to do but now it's a homerun. It's the only manga that can do the same joke EVERY FUCKING CHAPTER and it's still funny as hell every single time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When Jitsu wa Watashi wa hits it's stride there is no other manga comedy that comes close. It took a while to find out what it wanted to do but now it's a homerun. It's the only manga that can do the same joke EVERY FUCKING CHAPTER and it's still funny as hell every single time.

THE AKARI LEGENDS WILL NEVER DIE!!

Yuzumori-san 5

GQexndW.png

Please keep passing those willpower checks, I'd like to continue reading this manga without getting put on a watchlist. On the plus side, at least she's no longer in denial.

dani_dc

Domestic na Kanojo 86

Of course Rui would go live with her dad for drama reasons.
Still waiting for the reveal that Natsuo and Rui are half siblings from an extramarital affair by Rui father.

Kingdom 486

Man I love it when it is the politics stuff unlike Attack On Titan this is how you do it

plus they have legends every time dome negotiations happen with if not the best characters scheming shit

MANUELF

Banned
A lot of us here on this thread read Jitsu wa Watashi wa at the moment. If you ever read School Rumble, it is a very similar type of experience, although bit of a slow starter.

THE AKARI LEGENDS WILL NEVER DIE!!

Jitsu Wa earns my respect by being a long running gag manga with basically zero fanservice.

MIDDLE AGED! MIDDLE AGED!
What other romcom can be this interesting when there is already a main couple?

Though there wasnt a couple to begin with. Its about them getting together.

Established couples are really pretty rare.

There wasn't a couple to begin with in Jitsu wa either. They became a couple. Like in Lovely Complex. And then the manga kept going for...what, 3 more volumes I think.

I mean, you're right, established couples are rare, but LoveCom was one of the ones that got them together then kept going.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 225

Move Meiko's childhood story elsewhere, please. Just bring VP Meiko back already so she destroy Kate / this arc.

Got any good comedy manga suggestions? And yeah, I know about Gintama. Hahah.

Kyou kara Ore wa!!

helck 3 - 7.5

Lol, Anne from management. I'm quite liking this series.

umisho 64 - 68

Amuro made her move. Though I have a feeling certain other members aren't going to be ok with this.

tomo 393 - 394

I know what Jun should do. He should just be honest with his feelings.

Mishiro san to Yamada kun 18 - 19

they're finally going out

Revo

Red String 51

Initially it felt a bit weird how much we were getting post that final battle but I can dig it now.
She just wants to get bigger~

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch394

Go back to being a nerd?

Prison School ch225

I hope the whole Mari thing won't last much longer.

At least Chairman still makes it entertaining.

Kase-san ch19

Poor Yamada.

Yuzumori-san ch5

Crisis averted for now. How long will she last?

dumbyugi

Saki vol1-3

Reading this again, now with an official English release, thanks to being one of the Bookwalker winners this month. The translation seems to be mostly solid, a couple of typos but nothing outrageously bad. It took a bit of getting used to seeing the winning hands actually translated and them using kong and chow instead of kan and chi. I still like the early stuff just as much this time around as I did the first time I read it. I still wish this was getting a physical release but I'm glad I can buy it in English at all.

Revo

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge 37-40

I know those train feels.
Poor shiraishi, it's pretty hard to get tanaka to notice anything
lmao oota not being used to not carrying tanaka
holy shit oota is ripped

Jintor

Yuzumori-san 5

GQexndW.png

Please keep passing those willpower checks, I'd like to continue reading this manga without getting put on a watchlist. On the plus side, at least she's no longer in denial.

oh we're all on watchlists here

anyway, this manga is weird and i'm not sure how to feel about it

Prison School 225

giphyogugj.gif

The first few months of randomly stalling were cute and funny now this is starting to get annoying, just revive Meiko already.

Kyuur

Promised Neverland 3

What does 'end of jump start run' mean? Is it just ending on Viz's side or is there some deliberation by WSJ Japan to determine if they give the series more chapters? If the former hopefully a scanlation group picks it up, ffs.

Love Rush

The hook with the friend was kind of neat but the overall premise: blugh. Pass.

Promised Neverland 3

What does 'end of jump start run' mean? Is it just ending on Viz's side or is there some deliberation by WSJ Japan to determine if they give the series more chapters? If the former hopefully a scanlation group picks it up, ffs.

Love Rush

The hook with the friend was kind of neat but the overall premise: blugh. Pass.
jump gives every new series (with the exception of a few heavily ecchi series) a three chapter "jump start" run. Some make it into the magazine, most don't. I imagine promised never land has a high chance of being picked up soon since the response seems to be favorable and two slots opened with the end of bleach and nisekoi. Probably they just want to see the response to red sprite and love rush before they make a decision

Edit: specifically this refers to English jump

dan2026

Is there anything redeemable about Black Clover.

From the first few chapters it seems like the most generic shonen manga imaginable.
Like someone took Naruto and Fairy Tail and filed off the serial numbers.

Hell it almost seems like a parody. But I'm afraid it might be for real...

Helck 8 - 22

With the plot developing, this is starting to get pretty good. Also, I like how the demons are the good guys and the humans are the evil ones.

Is there anything redeemable about Black Clover.

From the first few chapters it seems like the most generic shonen manga imaginable.
Like someone took Naruto and Fairy Tail and filed off the serial numbers.

Hell it almost seems like a parody. But I'm afraid it might be for real...

It takes a bit to get going but its actually really solid and has progressively gotten more enjoyable as its gone on. Like how world trigger takes until it gets to the human vs human fights to hit its stride black clover really finds its groove when Asta starts doing group missions with the black bulls.

Lexxism

Daiya no Ace Act II ch 46

That's was an expected loss. I hope they make some changes for the upcoming summer competition. I wanna see Sawamura on that ace number

Silver Spoon is resuming at the end of August.

Yeah, I know. I forgot it hadn't actually ended, too.
Nice! I totally thought she was gonna end it sooner the way she was rushing everything. I guess her family got healthier.

Also for comedy I recommend D-frag but be warned, it's like a monthly manga, except it might skip a few months and the chapters are only 16 pages. Still fantastic though.

Mediking

Thanks for all the suggestions about comedy manga!!!

And it's obvious that the creator of Prison School really likes how Meiko is now. Hahah. It's brilliant though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom