• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

bottom of the page, damn...

So I was hoping you guys might be able to answer a couple questions for me on some upcoming anime series this spring: (maybe summed up in 1 paragraph)

These are the questions for each manga based series:

- What kind of show it is
- Why you should watch it

- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
- JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai
- Bakuon!!
- Sousei no Onmyouji
- Flying Witch
- Big Order
- Terra Formars Revenge
- Super Lovers

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Watch Jojo cause Jojo is the hypest anime around. If you haven't watched/read the previous parts you should, cause it's one of the most entertaining works of fiction around.

Magi : Adventure of Sinbad is an average spin-off of an already average manga.

Kyuur

Tokyo Ghoul:re 67

There were some pretty great panels in this chapter. Art-wise.

For sure.

QNW8VWK.jpg

So good.

Zweizer

Banned

So I was hoping you guys might be able to answer a couple questions for me on some upcoming anime series this spring: (maybe summed up in 1 paragraph)

- Flying Witch

Jojo is simply one of the most creative and fabulous battle series around, and Diamond is Unbreakable itself is one of its best-regarded seasons with a wide and diverse cast and an intriguing plot beyond its episodic nature that slowly unravels itself.

Flying Witch is a pleasant slice of life series about an apprentice witch moving in the countryside. It doesn't try to be something pretentious or grandiose with the way the magic is portrayed and instead focuses on how witches and magic are quietly coexisting with normal society. A very relaxing manga all-around.

bobohoro

For sure.

So good.

Final page was even better.
Kinda reminded me of Hellsing there.

Which made me listen to the opening of Hellsing again.
Such a great tune.

Denpa Kyoushi 140

I can't believe that there is still 5 more volumes of story for this left.
It's already 10 past a reasonable ending point.

b

- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Bakuon!!
- Sousei no Onmyouji
- Flying Witch
- Big Order
- Terra Formars Revenge
- Super Lovers

Super Lovers

Super Lovers is a wholesome manga focusing on the heart. Striking at the core of what makes a human a human it brilliantly highlights the touching relationship between a young orphaned Canadian boy by a prominent writer's family. After a fateful encounter over the summer, the manga switches gears and becomes a dazzling coming of age story of the adopted boy and his relationship with the Kaidou family in Japan.

Why you should watch it

This innovative series goes against the grain for the romantic drama. Featuring people pursing their dreams of starting their own business while working at a host club, a boy as he grows through the years out of his natural Canadian environment and in the dazzling cities of Japan, and the myriad friendships and family relationships that develop in Japan, it has something to appeal to everyone. It will have one of the purest and most pleasing brotherly love moments anyone could ask for animated. Its a must watch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tokyo Ghoul is a series I'd have kept reading if not for this thread talking like ~100 or so chapters ahead and I realized I have no fucking idea who even 1 of the named characters is and I decided "this gonna get dumb I'm out"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Adding characters is a crutch I see a lot when a mangaka runs out of ideas. Even Tsukuda in Soma has started doing it to his detriment. The worst part was they got to the Elite 10 (e.g. the people they'd been telling us are the top dudes to beat for 120 chapters) and 10 chapters or so after that replaced them as the antagonists with some evil old guy who isn't even a fucken student.

If I need storylines about evil authority figures with nonsensical motives I can just watch wrestling.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 29

Thank god, Ontan and Kadode finally said it.

What's the deal Broccoli-senpai?!

"And you! You're Broccoli!"
"Right"

Oh my god, they finally brought in my favorite character! And Ontan gets along great with her! That made me so happy. This might be one of the best handlings of a trans character in a manga today. Very fair and not fucking awful stereotyping.

And that end with Ontan's subtle worrying was great.

Goddam Asano is like one of the best mangaka going today.

dani_dc

Space brothers 43

How the heck did Serika get selected?
She constantly overat constantly. Including having seconds when they were rationalizing food at the end (to the point someome was skipping a meal per day).

You would think the ability to eat rationalized portions would be one of the basic requirements the applicants would have to fullfill to be selected.

OK I admit I forgot about Rock-paper-scissors between last night and starting to write this post, but on that note, I can't believe JAVAX actually went with the people suggested by each group (without additional scrutiny).

Adding characters is a crutch I see a lot when a mangaka runs out of ideas. Even Tsukuda in Soma has started doing it to his detriment. The worst part was they got to the Elite 10 (e.g. the people they'd been telling us are the top dudes to beat for 120 chapters) and 10 chapters or so after that replaced them as the antagonists with some evil old guy who isn't even a fucken student.

If I need storylines about evil authority figures with nonsensical motives I can just watch wrestling.

I use Bleach a lot to compare bad things

but this is literally Bleach

dani_dc

If you're asking this question it must be because you didn't see Parts 1-3, so go do that instead.

Part 4 is one of the better parts though, so it's worth checking out either way.

Angry Grimace

Yamada

Shiraishi's nice to have around, but having a single d'awwwww Shiraishi chapter once every 30 chapters is dumb. Make her in the plot again.

Angry Grimace

UQ Holder

Natural Gigolo powers.

TsFr5zk.png

At this rate pretty soon Kirie's gonna end up pactio'd.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Bakuon!!
- Sousei no Onmyouji
- Flying Witch
- Big Order
- Terra Formars Revenge
- Super Lovers

Bungou Stray Dogs

Famous japanese author turn into super powered bishonen solving supernatural cases. Watch it for the ikemen and interesting case

Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai

A shonen battle show with a lot of creativity in a fight, bunch of likeable cast, charming villain. Probably my most waited show.

Bakuon

Top Gear, anime version. Seriously, it's cute girl doing cute thing, with a bike.

Sousei no omyouji

Battle shonen show about exorcist with some good comedy mix in. Since the director storyboard Aura, i think there's hope that this is going to be at least decent.

Flying witch

A Slice of life story about witch in training as she stay in normal family. Cute and is pretty much a healing anime.

Terra formars Revenge

It's a sequel to that anime that got ravaged by censors. Watch this for animal and bugs trivia, and for the gore.

Big Orders

It feel like a rip off of Jojo, without much creativity. Er, honestly, watch this to see some insane trainwreck.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Bakuon!!
- Sousei no Onmyouji
- Flying Witch
- Big Order
- Terra Formars Revenge
- Super Lovers

Out of the ones listed, I've only read Sousei no Onmyouji and Flying Witch (I forgot that I wanted to check out Bungou Stray Dogs at some point).

Flying Witch is a slice of life story about a young witch revisiting her childhood friend in the country side. Magic is treated as something subtle, so you won't find anything super bombastic about it. It doesn't seem to be building up to anything big
although the younger sister ends up interested in becoming a witch herself
; it's mostly how magic interacts with and witches live in daily life. All in all, it's a pretty relaxing read.

Sousei no Onmyouji is by the dude who made Binbougami Ga! It's a slightly dark fantasy story that follows a kid, who has given up becoming an exorcist, as he gets roped back into the exorcist world because of his destiny with a talented exorcist girl. It's not just about the action; it delves into the relationship the main character has with the deuteragonist, and how they grow stronger together. It also has pretty good humor, which offsets the despair that gets flung at the protagonists, so that's good. Personally, it's one of my favorite ongoing manga, and the recent (and as of now untranslated) chapters are just cliffhangers upon cliffhangers. I'm really pessimistic about the anime adaption though, since Studio Pierrot is in charge of it.

I think someone on Manga Updates pointed out its setting similarities to Bleach, so if that intrigues you, I'd say try it out.

Big Order is shit, and I say that as someone who liked Future Diary.

Mostly because the MC is a moron and the battles really suck. And then they added fusions out of nowhere. All the characters have really overpowered abilities but use them in the blandest manner possible.

Cornbread78

Out of the ones listed, I've only read Sousei no Onmyouji and Flying Witch (I forgot that I wanted to check out Bungou Stray Dogs at some point).

Flying Witch is a slice of life story about a young witch revisiting her childhood friend in the country side. Magic is treated as something subtle, so you won't find anything super bombastic about it. It doesn't seem to be building up to anything big
although the younger sister ends up interested in becoming a witch herself
; it's mostly how magic interacts with and witches live in daily life. All in all, it's a pretty relaxing read.

Sousei no Onmyouji is by the dude who made Binbougami Ga! It's a slightly dark fantasy story that follows a kid, who has given up becoming an exorcist, as he gets roped back into the exorcist world because of his destiny with a talented exorcist girl. It's not just about the action; it delves into the relationship the main character has with the deuteragonist, and how they grow stronger together. It also has pretty good humor, which offsets the despair that gets flung at the protagonists, so that's good. Personally, it's one of my favorite ongoing manga, and the recent (and as of now untranslated) chapters are just cliffhangers upon cliffhangers. I'm really pessimistic about the anime adaption though, since Studio Pierrot is in charge of it.

I think someone on Manga Updates pointed out its setting similarities to Bleach, so if that intrigues you, I'd say try it out.

Bungou Stray Dogs

Famous japanese author turn into super powered bishonen solving supernatural cases. Watch it for the ikemen and interesting case

Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai

A shonen battle show with a lot of creativity in a fight, bunch of likeable cast, charming villain. Probably my most waited show.

Bakuon

Top Gear, anime version. Seriously, it's cute girl doing cute thing, with a bike.

Sousei no omyouji

Battle shonen show about exorcist with some good comedy mix in. Since the director storyboard Aura, i think there's hope that this is going to be at least decent.

Flying witch

A Slice of life story about witch in training as she stay in normal family. Cute and is pretty much a healing anime.

Terra formars Revenge

It's a sequel to that anime that got ravaged by censors. Watch this for animal and bugs trivia, and for the gore.

Big Orders

It feel like a rip off of Jojo, without much creativity. Er, honestly, watch this to see some insane trainwreck.

Mostly because the MC is a moron and the battles really suck. And then they added fusions out of nowhere. All the characters have really overpowered abilities but use them in the blandest manner possible.

Big Order is shit, and I say that as someone who liked Future Diary.

Watch Jojo cause Jojo is the hypest anime around. If you haven't watched/read the previous parts you should, cause it's one of the most entertaining works of fiction around.

Magi : Adventure of Sinbad is an average spin-off of an already average manga.

Thank you all, this is all helpful stuff!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 29

Fried chicken meal with fried chicken on the side, the dream.

Last few panels make me think something bad is waiting up ahead.

Inuyashiki 52

Oh man. His daughter just saw him. That's gonna be interesting.

You know, after 52 chapters of this...I like this manga. I think it's a bit more subtle than Gantz (a bit because it sure as fuck isn't a subtle series) and I really like the MC being an old man. I know that people complained about Hiro being the focus for a long ass time but I think it was really effective at making you see how much of a shitbag he is and what happens when you give a shitty teen unlimited power. And even with that, at least the ride was entertaining. Seeing Hiro shoot the internet nerds through the computer screens was cathartic and the fights with the police did an amazing job at being visually entertaining and pounding it home just how outclassed humanity is to deal with him. Making it all the more important that Inuyashiki deals with him.

I think it's pretty well done, what with being written by Gantz-dude.

Erigu

I doubt it. Probably the same as when characters in a fantasy setting call someone Einstein or how aliens in Destiny know what wolves are.
I don't know. Isayama even had him use the English words "ball" and "perfect game" in the Japanese text, and it seems to me he's been fairly cautious about that kind of things so far (for instance, your wolf example reminds me of how Reiner, Bertolt and Ymir knew what an ape was, but Eren didn't... same thing with coffee, more recently).

UQ Holder

Getting realllllly creepy with all the full page naked Kirie pages lately, Ken. At least make it Karin, or Eva's grown form or something. I avoided keeping with Negima because of stuff like that, hope I don't have do it again because he tells pretty decent stories. >_>

Other than that, really liked the continued interaction of her and Touta. She may actually have a chance based on the way the story's been going.

Rapunzel (one-shot)

0oYe0Xz.png

Is there any greater pairing of words in human language than 'yandere' and 'yuri'? I think not. Sadly, much like Mio's haircut, this was far too short.

Tokyo Ghoul re: 67

We got a small glimpse into what Kaneki went through after his battle with Arima. I wonder why Arima saved him. And it looks like the Kaneki of old is coming to play next chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom