• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

Promised Neverland 4

Norman is going to die helping the rest of them escape, isn't he. :/ Also I noticed something that may be the single hint to this ending up a battle shonen; the little girl was impaled with a rose? Could be something related to the 'food' aspect or the shonen-y power of Mom.

Red Sprite 1

Too fast. I feel like there's nothing left for mystery, world building and character-driven plot by the end of this chapter. Can't see it lasting more than a year without devolving into generic garbage. I did like the overall style and concept though, but the chapter content was more fit for a one-shot.

Asagao to Kase-san. 13-18

CrDdIovUsAAYxa-.jpg:large

gdi the manga got changed from running in a magazine to online. Well at least it lives, just not as heart annihilating as it once was

Wiseblade

One Piece
Is Thriller BArc Oda's favourite arc or something? He's definitely determined to reference it any chance he gets.

Red Sprite
It seems okay, but I don't see any lasting power. I don't think it has enough to stand out from the rest of the lineup, either.

That one harem
Harem's gonna harem. The early confession is the only reason I'm even mentioning it.

World Trigger
Osamu is on the scoreboard! It was a group effort, but one that was only achieved by his growth as a fighter and his contributions to the battlefield.

Food Smut
Knowing that Soma is going to win regardless is making the stacking of this battle seem a bit pointless.

My Hero Academia
It's good every week, but I can never thinkof anything to comment on. Exceptthat one guy taking out 120 entrants doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else to pass. I guessonly named characters will be getting licences.

Promised Neverland 4

Wow more death flags for Norman? Dude can't catch a break.
He's like Mr Burns. Pick up enough flags and they'll cancel each other out, making you immortal.

Fbh

Gold Member
Promised Neverland 4.

Still enjoyable. Don't think this will turn into a generic action shonen but I can see it getting a lot more action heavy later on (with the kids strategically leading some sort of human faction vs the aliens/monsters)

Fairy Tail 499.

Yeah, a main-ish character died. Yep, of course, there is no way she is going to be revived, nope not at all, this is very shocking and unexpected
5 chapter at most before she revives

CrazyDude

q
Promised Neverland 4

Norman is going to die helping the rest of them escape, isn't he. :/ Also I noticed something that may be the single hint to this ending up a battle shonen; the little girl was impaled with a rose? Could be something related to the 'food' aspect or the shonen-y power of Mom.
He will "die" off screen and come back later in the story as a bad guy working for the demons. He had a crazy look in this chapter. He probably will work with demons to get the kids back to the farm in exchange for Emma's life.

Wiseblade

Promised Neverland 4.

Still enjoyable. Don't think this will turn into a generic action shonen but I can see it getting a lot more action heavy later on (with the kids strategically leading some sort of human faction vs the aliens/monsters)
I don't know, a straightforward despair manga would look out of place in the current jump Lineup and would be entering a heavily contested genre. These 4 chapters suggest something closer to a breakout/heist manga, similar to early Prison School but without the smut.

Usobuko

Banned
I just finished all of the available Dungeon Meshi chapters. Now I have to wait until October like the rest of you guys.

Great story. Love the characters, their interactions,and reactions. The author really mastered the odd little comical character reactions. I love the look on Senshi's face during those times. Laius is dumb lol, Marcille is great.

The author is Kui Ryoko, a relatively newcomer. Be sure to check out the rest of her/his works. You might also be pleased that sales of Dungeon Meshi is on-par with mid-high tier Jump series, like Nisekoi / Toriko for example.

The author is Kui Ryoko, a relatively newcomer. Be sure to check out the rest of her/his works. You might also be pleased that sales of Dungeon Meshi is on-par with mid-high tier Jump series, like Nisekoi / Toriko for example.

Actually its trouncing those two series in sales, here are the first two week of sales for the latest volumes for all three series (Nise/Tor came out a week prior so I have to do just two weeks).
Nisekoi Vol.24 195,154
Toriko Vol.40 177,626
Dungeon Meshi Vol.3 ,390,713

Really the only Jump weekly series that out sells it at the moment is One Piece and Haikyuu, with it being about on par sales wise as Shokugeki no Souma (last volume did 335,904 in its first two weeks).

Usobuko

Banned
Innocent ended too? This two weeks gonna be good.

Actually its trouncing those two series in sales, here are the first two week of sales for the latest volumes for all three series (Nise/Tor came out a week prior so I have to do just two weeks).
Nisekoi Vol.24 195,154
Toriko Vol.40 177,626

Really the only Jump weekly series that out sells it at the moment is One Piece and Haikyuu, with it being about on par sales wise as Shokugeki no Souma (last volume did 335,904 in its first two weeks).

Well deserved.

Nisekoi Vol.24 195,154
Toriko Vol.40 177,626

Anime soon. They won't sleep on those sales on Volume 3 of the series. Impressive.

Zweizer

Banned
Nisekoi Vol.24 195,154
Toriko Vol.40 177,626

It's nice to hear about its success. Without a doubt one of the best manga currently running.

Comic Girls vol2 ch5

Must be tough dealing with two hurdles at the same time.

dan2026

The Promised Neverland 4

Still the most interesting thing Jump is putting out.

But I am deathly afraid it will jump the shark with some sort of shonen bullshit.

Mediking

One of my favorite moments in One Piece manga was the Don Krieg Arc. It was so good. It was tense and full of adrenaline and character development. I still like it more than the Arlong Arc.

mdubs

Banned
Promised Neverland 4
I definitely have a hard time seeing how Promised Neverland's story is going to last more than two volumes given the characters and the general set up. Like it's interesting but I don't love it or anything

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think its more Oda gets annoyed when the fan base poo poos an arc so he makes it extra relevant.

"What's that? You didn't like Skypiea and thought it was "filler"? Well, you see that all that Mantra? That's actually Haki, and is going to be important for the rest of the series. That Poneglyph Robin reads about the great weapons? We meet one of them. That flashback with Noland that some of you thought "wasted time"? One of the keys to saving Dressrosa!"

Also, Lola's Vivre Card coming back into the story was going to happen at some point. Oda purposely set it up. That's how telling a story tends to work.

"What's that? You didn't like Skypiea and thought it was "filler"? Well, you see that all that Mantra? That's actually Haki, and is going to be important for the rest of the series. That Poneglyph Robin reads about the great weapons? We meet one of them. That flashback with Noland that some of you thought "wasted time"? One of the keys to saving Dressrosa!"

Also, Lola's Vivre Card coming back into the story was going to happen at some point. Oda purposely set it up. That's how telling a story tends to work.

I thought you just retconned it in later via flash backs?

Berserk v22-23 Dark Horse Ed.

These cover farpico's backstory and guts` breast-biting saga.

Man. What a difference a proper translation makes. Serpico is by far the realest character in the whole damn book, and Guts's shift into accepting others is so much more developed compared to the initial scans it ain't even funny. Dude's a walking ball of melancholy by the time they rejoin, and now it makes perfect sense that he'd more than cherish their company. Also denotes clear character growth for him, obviously.

Something that i'd forgotten is that puck already knows all of Guts's backstory as far as the eclipse goes, since he was present when it was told to Rickert.

Additionally, the extra dialogue made Azan a complete (and consistent) bro even during the mozgus arc, and more than confirmed that Griffith might be an asshole, but dear gods, dude has nothing on Nina. That boy she fucked off with is dead as they come, should she ever get her hands on a behelit.

Also had forgotten that griffith went out of his way to rape casca directly in front of guts. Kinda surprising, given how important that bit is to overall plot progression.

oh, and locus is extra noble and shit. And guts has the same effect on Zodd that he had on griffith, but zodd also <3 skullie, obv.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I started reading Golden Kamuy because all y'all talk about it but I was suddenly struck by the fact that this may be the only manga I've ever read that actually mentions, let alone has as characters, Ainu people.

I know it's not surprising considering Japan's general treatment of the Ainu but what other manga actually mentions them? What high school manga has ever had an Ainu student? Or an Ainu character? I think Native Americans get more representation in manga than Ainu people.

Horohoro from shaman king is ainu if i'm not wrong. Then there's Nakoruru from Samurai Spirit (video game, but there's a manga adaptation so i guess that count?)

Nisekoi Vol.24 195,154
Toriko Vol.40 177,626

Well deserved. Dungeon Meshi is damn good and i'm glad the author got the recognition.

Moaradin

Red Sprite 1

Not bad. Very standard shonen stuff so far, but I like the steampunk setting. MC powering up the airship was pretty cool. I'll read more of this.

The Promised Neverland 4

I can see them teasing what the outside world is like for quite a while. Glad this got picked up by Viz.

cntr

Banned
Red Sprite 1

Like the steampunk setting, and the concept of "thundercore humans" is a nice science-fiction-esque touch. Not confident until I see more, but hope this'll be good.

L.O.R.D

Fairy Tail 499.

Yeah, a main-ish character died. Yep, of course, there is no way she is going to be revived, nope not at all, this is very shocking and unexpected
5 chapter at most before she revives

my thought exactly,but i think it will only take 1 or 2 chapter to know she is still live inside him,literally.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Tong 1

Ok so ive finished Dokgo Rewind and am now seeing what else this author has. Apparently theres a side story about this guy who amde a cameo midway throught Dokgo. I guess its time for that one part from Dokgo Rewind to make sense i think. Dude its a alot more straight shooter than the other mc. Also seems like a older woman character is gonna be the new voice of reason. Havent seen the big bad just yet.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch400

Such violence.

New Game!: The Spinoff! ch6-7

What a bunch of traitors.

Gal and Otaku can't understand each other ch5

That's one way to motivate her.

Precarious Woman Executive Miss Black General ch3

Braveman incurred quite the trauma.

DTiW4EC.png

Men are so simple.

Doubutsu no Kuni 1-53/END
Oh hey, a new manga from the creator of Zatch Bell this looks like it could be a cute and wonderful adventure about animals.
..........I'm okay with this too! While there are some lightheartedness found in the manga (mostly in the first 1/3rd and via Salad Udon in the later half), it never strays far from the dark realities of being the prey. For a manga mostly about animals fighting, it does a damn good job doing battles though this is partially thanks to the fact that the more "advance" animals of a species tend to become bipedal and humanlike figures.
The mangaka also does a great job of giving life to the animals via a wide array of facial expressions for each species (except llamas, fucking llamas). While it did have a slow start, Animal Land comes into its own and improves upon what the mangka learned while creating Zatch Bell.
FUCKING Soba!

Well, it is in Jump. Also what whould you classify as shonen bullshit?

Basically if we get to like chapter 20 and we introduce like magic demon swords or the main characters develop heat vision to fight against the demon monsters. Most people are hoping they'll defeat the monsters if they fight them through clever planning as the series has set up through its first 4 chapters.

Kieli

What does it mean for Viz to pick up Promised Neverland?

I thought Shueisha makes the final call as to whether or not to continue serialization.

Verelios

What I love about comedies like Hinamatsuri and Barakamon are their gradually progressing character arcs that flesh out characters while keeping it funny. Other manga's that use a static storyboard aren't bad, it's just I'm can't connect with their characters as well.

The day a new chapter comes out is when I'm at my happiest, but for Hitomi, it was Tuesday.

What does it mean for Viz to pick up Promised Neverland?

I thought Shueisha makes the final call as to whether or not to continue serialization.

Viz's US Shonen Jump does whats called a jump start for almost all JP Shonen Jump series where they show off the first 3 chapters. Viz picking it up means they'll continue to translate it and include it in their monday web magazine same day with Japan. Promised Neverland could get shit canned in 2-3 months and Viz can't do anything about it. Its why people joke about the viz cancellation curse for a long while everything Viz picked up got shit canned by Shueisha almost instantly or within a year.

The reason we're excited is because many of us feel Promised Neverland has potential and Viz's jump with the ending of Bleach and Nisekoi got really thin on weekly series. The last several jump start series got passed over by Viz for one reason or another some which got instant shit canned (monofu and buddy strike) and others that seem to be doing moderately okay in Japan (Yaiba and Samon) so some of us were concerned/frustrated.

Viz's US Shonen Jump does whats called a jump start for almost all JP Shonen Jump series where they show off the first 3 chapters. Viz picking it up means they'll continue to translate it and include it in their monday web magazine same day with Japan. Promised Neverland could get shit canned in 2-3 months and Viz can't do anything about it. Its why people joke about the viz cancellation curse for a long while everything Viz picked up got shit canned by Shueisha almost instantly or within a year.

The reason we're excited is because many of us feel Promised Neverland has potential and Viz's jump with the ending of Bleach and Nisekoi got really thin on weekly series. The last several jump start series got passed over by Viz for one reason or another some which got instant shit canned (monofu and buddy strike) and others that seem to be doing moderately okay in Japan (Yaiba and Samon) so some of us were concerned/frustrated.

I thought yaiba and samon arent doing too hot.

Of the new series red sprite is the only Id buy so zi hope viz getd it.

Promised neverland depends on if Ray has a big role but I cant get into Emma

I thought yaiba and samon arent doing too hot.

Of the new series red sprite is the only Id buy so zi hope viz getd it.

Promised neverland depends on if Ray has a big role but I cant get into Emma

Well they haven't been instant shit canned like buddy strike or monofu, they seem to be hovering in the middle of the magazine not major hits but not major flops either.

Aizo

Banned
Hey, MangaGAF. Long time, no see (except for all of you I chat with!)

I saw this survey kind of thing on ComicGAF, and I thought it would be fun to drop it here, so I stole it. Think of 5-10 options for questions with plurals.

Favorite Ongoing Manga? (5-10)

Favorite Completed Manga? (5-10)

First Manga?

Favorite Character?

Favorite Scene?

Favorite Artists?

Favorite Writers?

Series that almost made you quit manga?

LeleSocho

Banned
Funny thing
Favorite Ongoing Manga? (5-10)
Yotsuba&!, Amanchu!, Toriko, Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko!, OnePunchMan (One version).

Favorite Completed Manga? (5-10)
Aqua+Aria (it counts as a single work right?)

First Manga?
Dragon Ball

Favorite Character?
Yotsuba Koiwai

Favorite Scene?
Akari's
last letter to Penpal
is pretty touching (always speaking about Aria here)

Favorite Artists?
Togashi, Kozue Amano, Azuma, Part 2 Araki.

Favorite Writers?
blank (don't really pay attention to writers or if they are different from the artists)

Series that almost made you quit manga?
None so far.

Aizo

Banned
Copying from what I posted in ComicsGAF, so my format is different. Ignore that. I don't want to edit that on mobile as I'm about to fall asleep.

I'd like to do this again in a few months, when I'm sure I will have a different perspective after getting through some stuff I'm really looking forward to reading.

Favourite Ongoing
Berserk, Otoyomegatari, Vinland Saga, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece (until the time skip)

Favourite Completed Runs
Itou Junji Kyoufu Manga Collection, Solanin, GTO, Eyeshield 21, Shonan Junai Gumi, Sanctuary, Homonculus, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (Case Files)

Favourite Artists
Miura Kentarou, Inoue Takahiko, Murata Yuusuke, Hirohiko Araki

Favourite Writers
Itou Junji, Miura Kentarou, Hirokane Kenshi, Kago Shintarou, Matsumoto Taiyou

First Comic?
Kindaichi and Doraemon were given to me as a child from a Japanese exchange student. That's when I first discovered manga.

Favorite Character?
Onizuka Eikichi was when I was younger... Maybe Thorfinn or Guts now?

Favorite Scene?
I don't think I can answer this one.
Gon's transformation in Hunter X Hunter... Burning the boat in One Piece... Final game in Eyeshield... Thorfinn's failed revenge in Vinland Saga... I'm not good at this.

Book that almost made you quit comics?
Never felt like quitting manga. I did cut back a ton, but that's just life. I kind of did quit American comics, though. It was not a particular comic, but the fact that I was a child and didn't understand all the crossovers and content missing from what I was reading in both Marvel and DC things. Infinite Crisis confused elementary school me.

I was attracted to the way Japanese comics had a consistent writer and artist, lacked the baggage of a connected universe or events, and the consistent release schedule (for the most part). Since being introduced to Image, though, I love Japanese and Western comics equally (and for completely different reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom