• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

Hey, MangaGAF. Long time, no see (except for all of you I chat with!)

I saw this survey kind of thing on ComicGAF, and I thought it would be fun to drop it here, so I stole it. Think of 5-10 options for questions with plurals.
Favorite Ongoing Manga? (5-10)
Helck
Dungeon Meshi
One Piece
Mahou Tsukai no Yome
Kingdom
Golden Kamuy
Hakumei to Mikochi
Yotsuba&!
Vinland Saga
REAL (if it is still ongoing)

Favorite Completed Manga? (5-10)
Spirit Circle
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Sengoku Youko
Fullmetal Alchemist
Parasyte
Japan Tengu Party Illustrated
Voynich Hotel

First Manga?
Either Dragon Ball, Doraemon, or Kobo-chan. Most likely Doraemon.

Favorite Character?
Fortuna (and all of his other life incarnations) from Spirit Circle character wise.
Douren from Sengoku Youko for the cool factor.

Favorite Scene?
Dr. Hiruluk's Death
The death of Shinoubu's Master from Japan Tengu Party Illustrated

Favorite Artists?
Mizukami Satoshi
Oda Eiichiro
Inoue Takehiko
Makoto Yukimura
Dowman Sayman
Favorite Writers?
Mizukami Satoshi ( I considered him more of a great writer than artist though his ability to translate those writing into a perfect visualization is still amazing)
Nanao Nanaki

Series that almost made you quit manga?
None so far thankfully

Late to the lists, as usual.

Favorite Ongoing Manga? (5-10) / Favorite Completed Manga? (5-10)
3568548952ygsv6.jpg

Left to right:

Ongoing
Screaming Lessons (+Reincarnation) / Spine House / The Little Match Girl / Abyssal Naval Base (doujin) / Attack on Titan

Completed
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia / Madoka Magica: Rebellion / Prunus Girl
Komorebi no Kuni / Azumanga Daioh / Franken Fran / Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime

First Manga?
Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu

Favorite Character?

5ug1BRR.gif

Favorite Scene?
HUGE Madoka Rebellion spoilers

Favorite Artists?
Suzuki Sanami, Maybe, Hirame, Tokuno Shotaro, C.R, Kenkou Cross, Ishikawa Emi, Kigitsu Katsuhisa, Mihara Mitsukazu, Honna Wakou, Ganmarei

Favorite Writers?
Seno Soruto, Dowman Sayman, Suzuki Sanami, Carcharias, Ishikawa Emi, Maitake, Kumeta Kouji

Sweet Poolside. Just kidding, it'd never happen.

---

Hopefully it can be of interest to other folks~
This is super interesting indeed.

elyetis posted after i started counting but the results somehow stayed the same
Make sure you keep the original this time, it'll be worth thousands one day.

Also RIP DTL. You were too [good/bad/DTL] for this world.

Shengar

(splitting the post for easier reply)
Yo, is FullMetal Alchemist any good? Is it worth reading?
It is THE go to manga for staple shounen. Everybody who's into shounen should read it at least once, despite their later verdict on the series. While it's true that FMA is good, it's not the best. FMA perhaps one of the fewer case of where the part is better than the sum. The battle choreography is great, the overall storyline is good, the tone being pretty consistent all around even with comedy here and there, and the pacing is just right. But in the end it doesn't gives much impression than a manga of its quality should be. There's a coherent underneath the story, but the epilogue doesn't wrapped all the conflict with those said themes.
It's a pretty good manga that suffers somewhat from being too stuck to the main characters after it transitions from a small personal story to a world focused story.
You put it better than me. FMA main failing that is.
I started reading Golden Kamuy because all y'all talk about it but I was suddenly struck by the fact that this may be the only manga I've ever read that actually mentions, let alone has as characters, Ainu people.

I know it's not surprising considering Japan's general treatment of the Ainu but what other manga actually mentions them? What high school manga has ever had an Ainu student? Or an Ainu character? I think Native Americans get more representation in manga than Ainu people.

There's Ainu characters during Hachiken's ancestor flashback chapter (IIRC Hachiken too have Ainu blood in him). Not surprising if Arakawa also have some Ainu blood in her.

Outside manga, Toukiden feature a lot of Ainu historical figure that most of the time clashed with the Japanese people. Surprisingly the description of them sounds honest and KT doesn't try to masked the Japanese atrocity towards the related figure.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Bonus - Manga you should read so you can be that cool guy who liked it before it became an anime

Golden Kamui
Dungeon Meshi
Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To
Tokyo Ghoul;Re
I Am A Hero (maybe someday)
Konodori
You still have a few weeks before March Comes In Like a Lion

Adding a few more

Helck (ONE web manga (the app, not the author) been pretty popular and i remember there's a popular demand for the series to get animated)
Shiori Experience (licensing is gonna be a bitch, but i hope someone deliver)
Grand Blue (sell been good, and it got baka to test author behind it)
Kakushigoto (could get an OVA adaptation)
Love is Hard for Otaku (probably going to get short anime)
Nomi Joshi (short anime as well)

Hey, this seems fun!

Zweizer list
Hopefully it can be of interest to other folks~

Yup, adding this to to read this since i haven't read some of it.

Pleasantly surprised by the amount of Doraemon as answer to the first manga read question.
If i had to take a guess everyone who answered with that is from an Asian country, am i right?

I'm from asian country, and yeah, i spend most of my childhood reading doraemon or watching them on tv.
Amazing!

phaze

Boku no Hero Academia ~50-104

All caught up. I knew more or less All Might's fate but still came away fairly impressed at how his and All for One's clash was handled. It's sort of refreshing to not have this mentor figure guy die. All for One too, as someone who was more interested in Shigaraki's growth then just his own success and well being, came off as a bit more then just standard big bad. Though I have to say, the backstory at play seems supremely silly, the way it was told and implied that All for One really ruled all of Japan until 5 years ago when All Might finally beat him. Surely his "evil" rule should have left more of a mark on society and people's memories that is the case.

Surprisingly enough, I came to enjoy the extensive cast of Clas 1-A. Not sure what's the difference between this and some other shounens where similar things tended to grind my gears (maybe not forcing each member of the class to have a pointless duel in each arc ?) but even if a lot of them are still flat and undeveloped, I like their mutual interactions. They feel like a genuine class. Oh and, I can't believe what I'm saying but I kinda like Bakugou now. I still thinks its poor choice to have a character art start from a place, where the character flaw is magnified to comical proportions with absurd reasons for it but he's come a long way now. I hope Todoroki will get some spotlight soon too. It's been a while since the tournament arc and I'm a always a sucker for characters like him. Deku could stand to loose some his "I will protect you" cheese and his moveset starts to get tiring but he's still alright.

So, a good read to be sure, just hope Horikoshi didn't shoot his load and will be able to continue in this vein.

Voynich Hotel 01-05

I don't get it.

(splitting the post for easier reply)

It is THE go to manga for staple shounen. Everybody who's into shounen should read it at least once, despite their later verdict on the series. While it's true that FMA is good, it's not the best. FMA perhaps one of the fewer case of where the part is better than the sum. The battle choreography is great, the overall storyline is good, the tone being pretty consistent all around even with comedy here and there, and the pacing is just right. But in the end it doesn't gives much impression than a manga of its quality should be. There's a coherent underneath the story, but the epilogue doesn't wrapped all the conflict with those said themes.

You put it better than me. FMA main failing that is.

There's Ainu characters during Hachiken's ancestor flashback chapter (IIRC Hachiken too have Ainu blood in him). Not surprising if Arakawa also have some Ainu blood in her.

Outside manga, Toukiden feature a lot of Ainu historical figure that most of the time clashed with the Japanese people. Surprisingly the description of them sounds honest and KT doesn't try to masked the Japanese atrocity towards the related figure.
Pretty sure the ishvalan's in FMA were also based heavily on the Ainu, though that's a fantasy equivalent type of thing

cntr

Banned
Though I have to say, the backstory at play seems supremely silly, the way it was told and implied that All for One really ruled all of Japan until 5 years ago when All Might finally beat him. Surely his "evil" rule should have left more of a mark on society and people's memories that is the case.
It's more like that the predecessors dismantled All for One's empire over the decades, and All Might thought he was the one to finally kill him.

spiritfox

It's more like that the predecessors dismantled All for One's empire over the decades, and All Might thought he was the one to finally kill him.

I see it more like a Yakuza style organized crime empire that works in the shadows but has ties to all the major politicians and businesses.

cntr

Banned
I see it more like a Yakuza style organized crime empire that works in the shadows but has ties to all the major politicians and businesses.
Yeah, me too. But it wasn't a single collapse with All for One's defeat, it was a long prolonged war between the users of One for All and All for One.

Ross61

Boku no Hero Academia ~50-104

All caught up. I knew more or less All Might's fate but still came away fairly impressed at how his and All for One's clash was handled. It's sort of refreshing to not have this mentor figure guy die. All for One too, as someone who was more interested in Shigaraki's growth then just his own success and well being, came off as a bit more then just standard big bad. Though I have to say, the backstory at play seems supremely silly, the way it was told and implied that All for One really ruled all of Japan until 5 years ago when All Might finally beat him. Surely his "evil" rule should have left more of a mark on society and people's memories that is the case.

Surprisingly enough, I came to enjoy the extensive cast of Clas 1-A. Not sure what's the difference between this and some other shounens where similar things tended to grind my gears (maybe not forcing each member of the class to have a pointless duel in each arc ?) but even if a lot of them are still flat and undeveloped, I like their mutual interactions. They feel like a genuine class. Oh and, I can't believe what I'm saying but I kinda like Bakugou now. I still thinks its poor choice to have a character art start from a place, where the character flaw is magnified to comical proportions with absurd reasons for it but he's come a long way now. I hope Todoroki will get some spotlight soon too. It's been a while since the tournament arc and I'm a always a sucker for characters like him. Deku could stand to loose some his "I will protect you" cheese and his moveset starts to get tiring but he's still alright.

So, a good read to be sure, just hope Horikoshi didn't shoot his load and will be able to continue in this vein.

Voynich Hotel 01-05

I don't get it.
About All for One, he was in the underground mastermind a long time ago. All Might wasn't the first to stop him, just the latest. He's been a continuing threat that users of One For All has had to stop.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yeah, i also read manga with gay character like Otouto no oto or Kinou nani ga tabetta? (highly recommended), but i rarely read yaoi doujin. Anyway, i think DTL recommendation, yaoi or not, is needed to get variety of opinion on mangaGaf or animegaf. It'll be boring if everyone agree at one thing anyway.

A Spring Evening in the Forest of Mystery

A one shot based on St. Lucia legend. Published in Harta so you know this is going to be good stuff.
The artwork is great, and i think the author should use it as an advantage. I feel like there's unnecessary exposition in several scene, but overall, it is good. I hope the author make another works.

phaze

Yes but do you dismantle that empire in a meaningful way if you can't beat the man himself ? Surely he would have moved against the threat those All for One users signified and if he was only beaten 5 years ago, then his influence should still be massive at that point in time.

I dunno, it's all very vaguely stated.

About All for One, he was in the underground mastermind a long time ago. All Might wasn't the first to stop him, just the latest. He's been a continuing threat that users of One For All has had to stop.

Unless I'm reading a wrong translation, it's explicitly stated that All Might was the first to beat him.

That's normal.
hard to explain it without too much spoiler, but you will get it as the story goes

At least am glad that there's still a chance I will "get it: at some point and not just my shit taste.

cntr

Banned
I mean, All for One can't manage an entire nation-spanning criminal organization alone, you can cripple his underground empire long before you kill him proper. He talks about how his friends and allies were all killed, after all.

All Might was one of the first One for All users to have enough strength to fight him directly.

Thanks for the Ainu information guys. Amusing or sad that I've read most of those manga and didn't remember the Ainu characters.

Also I'm not doing that list thingy, I hate lists. My shit memory makes them useless.

I also find it...interesting that the most...uh...interesting turn in Hajime no Ippo recently is Takamura's growing resentment for Ippo. After a real lengthy period of stalling and shit fights we finally get a great, one of the best, Ippo fights and when he loses it sparks in Takamura this anger that we're not used to seeing from him but that comes from a legitimate place.

Busaiku

Anyone picked up the recent Maria Holic releases from One Peace?
Saw that the first 6 volumes are omnibuses, but volume 7 goes back to regular format.

I can still easily find the first 6 volumes that Tokyopop released, and I'd prefer to get those over omnivores.
But, does anyone know if the language is really different? Like one publisher using Japanese honorifics, and the other not?

pbayne

I also find it...interesting that the most...uh...interesting turn in Hajime no Ippo recently is Takamura's growing resentment for Ippo. After a real lengthy period of stalling and shit fights we finally get a great, one of the best, Ippo fights and when he loses it sparks in Takamura this anger that we're not used to seeing from him but that comes from a legitimate place.

Yeah its been a slow build-up but you can see why Takamura is starting to resent him. He has so many reasons:

-Coach seemingly lavishes more attention on Ippo despite him not being close to Takamura's level.
-His growing frustration of not getting his next title shot.
-The growing worry of the coach's health, might not be around to see Takamura fulfill his dream.
-Ippo's fucking wishy-washy attitude for god knows how long.
-Takamura's eye injury(though that's just speculation) could be getting worse.

I don't think he'll ever outright hate Ippo but i could definitely see Takamura taking him down a peg or two soon.

Zweizer

Banned
Horimiya ch69

Poor Sengoku.

Oniichan Control ch31 (End)

It ended a bit abruptly on a typically vague note and with way too little bloodshed to my liking, but at least someone got a happy ending.

At least am glad that there's still a chance I will "get it: at some point and not just my shit taste.

VH is a great ride, but man isn't confusing as fuck especially towards the beginning. Just accept Dowman into your heart, and all will make sense.....(it will not, Dowman is a crazy person that we have all come to accept and love for all his quirks).
And here is some random new Dowman art...
CrHTUeIVUAAZwUc.jpg:large

dramatis

VH is a great ride, but man isn't confusing as fuck especially towards the beginning. Just accept Dowman into your heart, and all will make sense.....(it will not, Dowman is a crazy person that we have all come to accept and love for all his quirks).
And here is some random new Dowman art...
CrHTUeIVUAAZwUc.jpg:large
You know, I remember Dowman doing some sort of Persona fanbook before

Guess we know what he'll be playing in two weeks or so

Manga Sales (Japan) Aug 22nd - 28th

*1. 298,598 *,300,573 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol.8
*2. 169,068 *,333,147 Terra Formars Vol.18
*3. 151,159 *,453,549 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.22
*4. 133,882 *,479,566 Detective Conan Vol.90
*5. 118,816 1,313,303 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.20
*6. 100,204 *,100,512 Akame ga Kill! Vol.14
*7. *98,341 *,*98,341 Vinland Saga Vol.18
*8. *85,306 *,262,602 Diamond no Ace Act II Vol.4
*9. *79,160 *,168,551 Golden Kamuy Vol.8
10. *64,954 *,*64,954 Inuyashiki Vol.7

11. *62,007 *,134,429 Akatsuki no Yona Vol.21
12. *59,336 *,183,832 Ahiru no Sora Vol.45
13. *56,350 *,447,063 Dungeon Meshi Vol.3
14. *55,832 *,108,150 Kamisama Hajimemashita Vol.25
15. *54,266 *,106,246 Fruits Basket: Another Vol.1
16. *47,219 *,*47,219 Kanojo wa Uso wo Aishisugiteru Vol.20
17. *47,135 *,*47,135 Overlord Vol.5
18. *44,173 *,*44,173 Tonari no Seki-kun Vol.9
19. *42,480 *,*42,480 Sensei Kunshu Vol.10
20. *40,847 *,114,683 Tsubasa: WoRLD CHRoNiCLE - Niraikanai-hen Vol.3

21. *38,344 *,*38,344 Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? Vol.5
22. *38,233 *,*38,233 Akame ga Kill! Zero Vol.5
23. *38,109 *,123,901 Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Vol.10
24. *36,441 *,100,209 Kamisama no Iutoori Ni Vol.18
25. *35,193 *,*69,994 Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu Vol.3
26. *34,586 *,*34,586 Short Cake Cake Vol.3
27. *34,323 *,113,395 Baby Steps Vol.41
28. *31,532 *,*94,514 Kyokou Suiri Vol.4
29. *31,365 *,*31,365 Kasane Vol.9
30. *31,192 *,*31,192 Fate/Apocrypha Vol.1

31. *31,128 *,*98,520 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: Coda Vol.1
32. *30,445 *,*31,803 Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru Vol.12
33. *30,232 *,*30,232 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 'Kono Watashi no Mono to Nare, Yuusha yo' 'Kotowaru!' Vol.18
34. *28,702 *,*28,702 Battle Studies Vol.7
35. *28,370 *,*28,370 Dragon Quest Retsuden: Roto no Monshou - Monshou wo Tsugu Monotachi e Vol.25
36. *27,967 *,*27,967 Honey Bitter Vol.12
37. *25,905 *,*25,905 Joou no Hana Vol.14
38. *25,271 *,*49,713 Fukumenkei Noise Vol.10
39. *24,840 *,*93,222 Days Vol.18
40. *24,575 *,*74,312 Enen no Shouboutai Vol.4

41. *24,470 *,125,370 L♥DK Vol.21
42. *24,073 2,387,144 One Piece Vol.82
43. *23,734 *,*50,666 Usogui Vol.43
44. *23,273 *,*23,273 Te wo Tsunagou yo Vol.1
45. *22,562 *,*22,562 Smokin' Parade Vol.2
46. *22,392 *,*24,817 Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gyakushuu no Char - Beltorchika's Children Vol.4
47. *22,063 *,352,609 Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Vol.1
48. *21,953 *,*21,953 Fate/Grand Order: Comic à la Carte Vol.3
49. *21,661 *,*21,661 Nietzsche-sensei: Conveni ni, Satori Sedai no Shinjin ga Maiorita Vol.6
50. *21,544 *,*74,041 Area no Kishi Vol.53

Zweizer

Banned
Manga Sales (Japan) Aug 22nd - 28th

*1. 298,598 *,300,573 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol.8
13. *56,350 *,447,063 Dungeon Meshi Vol.3
33. *30,232 *,*30,232 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 'Kono Watashi no Mono to Nare, Yuusha yo' 'Kotowaru!' Vol.18

Good.

It's been a while since we last got a chapter of Maoyuu translated though.

Jintor

dowman is this weird case where i dunno if i actually like any of his manga (at least none have really grabbed me) but damn i love his art

Nukoduke! ch.80
It's never easy being the center of attention for a Nuko. Especially in their own damn home.

Tomo-chan latest
Roughly four hundred chapters in, and we're now at a major flashback. Tomo's still hella strong as a little kid.

Oniichan Control END
It finally came. The last chapter. The result is...

...alright for what it is, though I'm still disappointed that my wish for everyone to end up in jail for their bullshit in the previous chapter didn't happen. In fact the outcome of that just gets brushed over in the first few panels then jumps straight to a time skip. Even with it opting for a happy ending there's still a bit of satisfaction seeing where some of the characters end up in the 3 years since. But even then, for where it ended up things feel rather rushed. At least it ended on a good punch line.

Also a bit late to this, but fuck it I'll try anyway.
Favorite Ongoing Manga?
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko, Engaged to the Unidentified, Nukoduke, Criminale, Prison School (though admittedly, I haven't kept up to date for it since ch.200)

Favorite Completed Manga?
Devilman, Getter Robo Saga, Akira, Needless

First Manga?
Some early volume of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Favorite Character?
Adam Blade

Favorite Scene?
Halfway point in Devilman, where Akira warns the reader about events that are about to transpire.

Favorite Artists?
Hirohiko Araki, Ken Ishikawa, Go Nagai

Favorite Writers?
Go Nagai, Hirohiko Araki

Not really any series that made me quit it. If anything, reading more manga is what made me almost quit watching anime since I find less and less things to pay attention to each season.

Mediking

Kangoku Gakuen 227

This situation is starting to hit Dragonball Z levels of stalling of moving the story along. Hahah just revive the woman already!!! Listen, Hiramoto Akira!!! I get that you love to show a different side of that woman but it's time to move on!!! You can still have that side of her when you revive her!!! Let's just move on to the next Arc! Please!!!

MANUELF

Banned
Oniichan Control ch31 (End)

It ended a bit abruptly on a typically vague note and with way too little bloodshed to my liking, but at least someone got a happy ending.
I need your help smut lord, I remember reading a manga similar to this one where the sister who is not a sister but an adopted cousin made the brother be interested in her by eliminating every porn of him that didnt included a little sister character and a girl want to put a strapon and do him but after saying that she runs and is run over by a trailer, something like that

Zweizer

Banned
I need your help smut lord, I remember reading a manga similar to this one where the sister who is not a sister but an adopted cousin made the brother be interested in her by eliminating every porn of him that didnt included a little sister character and a girl want to put a strapon and do him but after saying that she runs and is run over by a trailer, something like that

I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother!!/Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! by Kouichi Kusano?

dani_dc

This all sounds hilariously absurd.

I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother!!/Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! by Kouichi Kusano?

I shouldn't be surprised at this point and yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom