• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verelios

Can someone spoil :RE for me or tell me if its good? Because I dont know if I have time to read it because I was confused by the plot. Too many new characters to keep track off...
Its...interesting. I wouldn't say it's as cohesive thematically as TG, but there's a lot of world building, intrigue and CCG fuckery.

I'd say if you liked the latter 3/4ths of TG then read it, you're getting something of a similar(!) standard.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Its...interesting. I wouldn't say it's as cohesive thematically as TG, but there's a lot of world building, intrigue and CCG fuckery.

I'd say if you liked the latter 3/4ths of TG then read it, you're getting something of a similar(!) standard.
Eh yeah I think I won't bother.

Shengar

How much of that is due to the source material?
A LOT I reckon. I said that because the problem I encounter is the liberal use of infodump. Seeing how the story unfolds and the information contained within the dumps, it's clear it already structured like that from the start.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

I don't understand people bemoaning the state of manga. There is so much good stuff out there that I read all the time and so much of it is good. In fact, so many new series coming out have been either excellent or some of my favorite to read. And it's in a ton of genres too! There's so much out there!

THERE'S SO MUCH GOOD MANGA GUYS
I wouldn't bemoan if the manga I read being complete dogshit with no redeeming value. But when it got nice art, and coupled with good concepts that appeal your rarely covered interest? That's the moment I want to punch the artist for wasting their talent and the author for their concept. These guys really need basic storytelling to make their story aat least readable.

Ascheroth

A LOT I reckon. I said that because the problem I encounter is the liberal use of infodump. Seeing how the story unfolds and the information contained within the dumps, it's clear it already structured like that from the start.

I wouldn't bemoan if the manga I read being complete dogshit with no redeeming value. But when it got nice art, and coupled with good concepts that appeal your rarely covered interest? That's the moment I want to punch the artist for wasting their talent and the author for their concept. These guys really need basic storytelling to make their story aat least readable.

As someone who had a phase where he read a lot of LNs....
Yes, most of them are really fucking bad with infodumping. Made me stop reading Overlord even though I enjoyed the premise, but there came a point where I just couldn't continue anymore.

It was probably in one of the later volumes, where it was written from the viewpoint of some soldier dude in a castle, and everytime he looked at anything, it was like he had to reminisce the history of the entire kingdom in multiple paragraphs or something.
Dude looks at a knight, infodump how the entire knight system in the country works.
Dude looks at maids, infodump on where they are from, how they are different then normal maids etc.
Dude looks at a knight statue, infodump how they were made, from what they were made, how their significance changed over various generations and whatever.
And so on.
Mr. Author, it's cool that you thought about your world a lot, but that's not how you present it.

Girls of the wild latest chapter

Terrible writing...what an artificial way to deal with tension in the story. Also, the author has made Jaegu a very dense character.
It was getting better too...

Nah, using your cellphone is too hard, lolbatteries. I'm gonna keep reading this garbage because Queen is cute but holy hell is Jaegu obnoxious.

Zweizer

Banned

Yeah, that's what I thought. The quality of the characters/story themselves aside, the expositions are one of the most glaring weaknesses of these LN adaptations.

Jintor

now that i think about it it's usually anime where I remember a lot of "We will now pause while the protagonist/narrator literally expains this country's necessarily information to the viewer"

cntr

Banned
It's a lot easier in manga, where you can just insert infographic pages. Books don't insert informational pages except as appendices for some reason.

Gunbuster had 5-minute informational shorts explaining physics and the solar system that were also excuses to get Noriko to talk about Sailor Moon. I guess it worked?

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch430

She'll be fiiiine.

New Game! ch39

Don't bully Nene.

Surprisingly, Hifumi makes for a better leader.

Bloom into You ch16

Looks like Yuu still has a long way to go.

Tejina Senpai ch30

Going off with a bang stab.

Jintor

It's a lot easier in manga, where you can just insert infographic pages. Books don't insert informational pages except as appendices for some reason.

Oh that's not true. Books can easily have long rambling diatribes where characters think in the privacy of their own heads or an unseen narrator just sketches out the world. I was thinking mainly of Discworld books where there's a lot of "[long explanation about the socio-economic status of Ankh-Morpork] thought Vimes" sort of thing going on.

Brilliant books, by the way.

spiritfox

Nice to see some Pratchett love here. He's one of the best authors in weaving information into general dialogue and scenes without making it seem out of place. Maybe the problem with LN authors and their tendency to infodump is due to the lack of experience in writing. It's very tempting to want to explain everything after all.

Shengar

As someone who had a phase where he read a lot of LNs....
Yes, most of them are really fucking bad with infodumping. Made me stop reading Overlord even though I enjoyed the premise, but there came a point where I just couldn't continue anymore.

It was probably in one of the later volumes, where it was written from the viewpoint of some soldier dude in a castle, and everytime he looked at anything, it was like he had to reminisce the history of the entire kingdom in multiple paragraphs or something.
Dude looks at a knight, infodump how the entire knight system in the country works.
Dude looks at maids, infodump on where they are from, how they are different then normal maids etc.
Dude looks at a knight statue, infodump how they were made, from what they were made, how their significance changed over various generations and whatever.
And so on.
Mr. Author, it's cool that you thought about your world a lot, but that's not how you present it.
That kind of infodumping is the fucking worst. Dropping tons of information that completely unrelated nor signifies nothing to the story while grinding the narrative into a halt. To make thing worse, the infordump is written in the most boring way possible you can imagine.

Of course not all LNs are like this. Both Leena's World Map and Spice&Wolf are example of using infodump not in an egregious way. The latter actuall utilized "infodump" in a way that it progress AND showing the background of Laurence as a character. What I found funny about SnW is that being a novel that was written by Hasekura after he read history book on medieval age economy doesn't make him obnoxiously writes everything he got from his main source of inspiration into his story. He know that SnW first and foremost is a story about Laurence and Holo. All the economy stuff come after it just because Laurence happened to be a travelling peddler.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The quality of the characters/story themselves aside, the expositions are one of the most glaring weaknesses of these LN adaptations.
After some thinking, I feel bad for wholly blaming the mangaka who take the adaptation. It's not their fault that the source material is badly structured from the get go. What can you do when in the LNs an obnoxious amount of infodump expositions being treated as an important part of the narration (it is not)? You can either beg for a more creative freedom since to trimmed those shit down you need to replace them with something or just suck it up and clutter your beautifully drawn manga with bunch of unimportant information.

Gunbuster had 5-minute informational shorts explaining physics and the solar system that were also excuses to get Noriko to talk about Sailor Moon. I guess it worked?

I admit that it's not just about infodump themselves being bad. It's unavoidable especially in fantastical work for the author to gives exposition so the reader could understand the context of the narrative better, especially when magical plot devices were being used. What makes good and bad infodump different is about timing, quantity, and most important of all, the quality of the exposition itself.

There's this my a favorite novel of mine who do an infodump on embroidery. But since the prose is so beautiful, I don't really mind about it. Same with any other medium where they able to do exposition whilst keep the engagement of its reader/viewer/player.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, in the end, it boils down to writing. You can make anything work if you write it well.

(that's why Pratchett was the best)

Ascheroth

Yeah, infodumping isn't automatically bad. I'm pretty sure I've read a few things with heavy infodumping that were still very fun to read.
But they are also definitely something that's very easy to get wrong and to make matters worse they are also very tempting to write when you have thought up all this cool stuff and want to share it.

I was talking about manga in general. Of course there's shit manga that I complain about all the time, but I'm reading so many good series that if someone's just like "Ugh, there's nothing to read, there are like 2 good manga ever" when it just shows people aren't trying to find good ones.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I forgot who asked me this but the manga was called Moujuusei Shounen Shoujo. Its only 3 chapters right now so I dont know where the story goes but I just found out who the author was so dont get your hopes up.
I was talking about manga in general. Of course there's shit manga that I complain about all the time, but I'm reading so many good series that if someone's just like "Ugh, there's nothing to read, there are like 2 good manga ever" when it just shows people aren't trying to find good ones.
That's why I sometimes check MAL reccomendations if I have literally nothing to read or watch, because I rarely ask for recommendations on here or anywhere. I also just tend to search in whatever genre I like. I found some great and weird stuff. Like this one about a woman who really likes Sentai stuff.

Zweizer

Banned
Y'all are such scaredy-cats!

And that eye-licking manga was a perfectly sweet and delicious romantic story. It just happens to transcend some boundaries.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone have any opinions on a good digital device for manga reading? Looking at a dedicated comic and manga tablet that's not an iPad. Need expandable storage.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Anyone have any opinions on a good digital device for manga reading? Looking at a dedicated comic and manga tablet that's not an iPad. Need expandable storage.
Kindle Fires.

Or just a 120+ gig ipad pro.
Edit: wait a minute, I think Samsung Tablets will be best for you. I wish I had to explain why but I am on my way to eat out for lunch.

Zweizer

Banned
Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch60

Let their third year commence.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch12

The princess is indeed the scariest monster.

Jintor

Maou Maou Yuusha (manga) gets away with economic infodumps because it's almost always in context of one character lecturing another

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I very strongly disliked the latter half of Tokyo Ghoul to the point I felt comfortable not getting anywhere near RE.

Need to watch my sugar intake after these

Horimiya 70

Hmm seems the author can actually fucking do it aka let me care about couples who are not the main couple.

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch60

They are back

Nice start to 3rd year for both of them tbh.

Chikyuu no Houkago 27

Sometimes is good to just relax in a bath.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 27 - 32

Looks like another girl is going to be going after Fuyuzora.

And so on.

Pretty much my problem with togashi's exposition nowadays.

cntr

Banned
I remember the Tintin books presented the history of Syldavia by having Tintin read a tourist guide, and the next few pages were just the guide itself

always thought that was brilliant

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 12

vCVnfsa.png

Another chapter of the manga, another chapter added to the survival guide. I'm assuming the princess's level + stats are like something out of post-game Disgaea, so she won't get much EXP from defeating the intruder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom