• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Reborn is the worse, I will never not be mad at the ending
I was duped and thought Tsuna would be something for once.

Now what gave you that idea?
All that progression?The growth and experience?
Ha!
Reborn ending is some shit

Reborn's ending made me physically angry. Bleach was sad because it was like watching someone you cared about die an agonizing death so you just wanted it to be over while KHR made me want to suffocate it with a pillow.

You don't do this after the future arc, you just don't. That was "burn your tanks" bad.

Reborn ending will forever hold the crown of worst ending in Jump for a series that lasted over a year. I didn't particularity like Reborn prior to the final arc (the other family arc prior to it was quite horrid), but that ending and that arc was just beyond shit.

I think someone who only read the first 10 chapters of Reborn was told to write the ending
Makes sense
Actually now that I think about it, it all fits! Amano was so distracted from drawing all that BL innuendo instead of writing an actual plot to go with the fucking garbage battle royale tournament she went with for the final arc that she gave her editor the ending she had drawn in case Reborn never caught on as a battle manga and got cancelled anyways! Of course!

Fuckyoussu

Numb

Actually now that I think about it, it all fits! Amano was so distracted from drawing all that BL innuendo instead of writing an actual plot to go with the fucking garbage battle royale tournament she went with for the final arc that she gave her editor the ending she had drawn in case Reborn never caught on as a battle manga and got cancelled anyways! Of course!

Fuckyoussu

Indeed
Indeed

Time to forget Reborn and remeber again in a year or so and get mad all over

Fureru to Kikoeru 12
zD6wce0.png
If you want to be jealous of the MC for something, it should be for [image related] instead of that other sappy stuff. Not sure if this is leading up to a feint or genuine progress with his friend's circumstances, but this isn't exactly a long series so they can't dodge the issue too much.

Numb

Toriko 391

Toriko throwing out unlimited fork & knife works
mjlol.png

People always forgetting Acacias strongest weapon is his mouth
mjlol.png

What Would You Do If You Were To Die Tomorrow? (doujin)

tFpjL8k.png

Unfortunately that's a question I'll never know the answer to, because this doujin just killed me. At least I died doing what I loved. Much like she did.

Mahou Shoujo Tokushuusen Asuka 6
I'd totally play a Magical Girl Solid game. Inherent bias compels me to side with any female character that wields scissors, but I'd rather not see War Nurse get dissected. There's little danger for Rupture, since her adversaries being twins lowers their % win chance. Plus there's the whole being the MC thing.

Reborn's ending made me physically angry. Bleach was sad because it was like watching someone you cared about die an agonizing death so you just wanted it to be over while KHR made me want to suffocate it with a pillow.

You don't do this after the future arc, you just don't. That was "burn your tanks" bad.

Rebon's ending was so bad.

I can deal with a bad ending that's just disappointing or leaves things unresolved, or what have you. But Reborn actively undid 400+ chapters of development and just had the entire point of the series being that nothing ever changed.

It was so infuriating. I had kind of blanked a lot of that out of my memory until I found myself thinking about Reborn recently and then remembered that ending and how much it pissed me off.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yo i loved (hated) Reborn's ending, i was unaware that it was going to end so i got into the last chapter like it was a random one so i go on and read and all of a sudden Neo Vongola Primo happens.
I was super puzzled and still not sure what happened upon first reading to be honest, it took me some time to process that it actually ended like that.

And to think that i spent a lot of money on volumes for that...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

I guess they changed their mind and Soma's hot now.

Also, a full page of Dadservice.

Zweizer

Banned
What would you do if you were to die tomorrow? (One-shot) by Ajiichi

Cute short story about a death god who set her sight onto a sickly woman.

Verily, she chose the perfect wish~

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch64-65

Oh my, they did it!

Shokugeki no Soma ch187

Well, of course Soma's dish wouldn't be a bust at this stage.

Kengan Asura 37

Yeah, she seems normal. You should take her up on it Ohma.

Koisuru Yankee Girl 10

Aw he's starting to defend her and be nice to her and admit they're going out.

He's trapped. Mu hu hu hu.

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki 64+65

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Groundless - Sekigan no Sogekihei 15

Oh that lying sack of dicks. Also, very interesting that the resistance leader was a reporter and gave them their ideology and united banner to start the war but it's also going kinda shit because she knows nothing about war and has to rely on her subordinates to get anything battle-wise done.

Mahou Shoujo Tokushuusen Asuka 6

This manga is silly as fuck but I like it so much. It's got fan-service out the butt but the combat and storyline are just fun with them taking magical girls as real military tactics so seriously.

JulianImp

Reading a couple pages of this thread, I find it odd how most chapter/volume impressions here tend to amount single sentences, and how hard it is to make sense out of them if you don't follow the series yourself... It's a bit weird coming from the anime OT, at least.

I guess that's just how things roll around here, but it's way harder for me to get what you guys are talking about compared to when I'm on the anime side.

cntr

Banned
Typically when you read a manga, you read it for years and years on end, no breaks. Can't go detailed every single week, you know? And there's a much wider range of manga to read, so people might not start reading a manga until much later. Being vague helps avoid spoilers. And there's just plain not that much to comment on in a 15-18 page chapter compared to a 25 minute animation.

JulianImp

Typically when you read a manga, you read it for years and years on end, no breaks. Can't go detailed every single week, you know? And there's a much wider range of manga to read, so people might not start reading a manga until much later. Being vague helps avoid spoilers. And there's just plain not that much to comment on in a 15-18 page chapter compared to a 25 minute animation.

Yeah, I get that it's just a completely different medium where most series tend to be long-runners. But, say, the posts about that militarized magical girls series helped me learn what it was about to some degree. That's probably because the series is just getting started, as opposed to being on chapter 240 already, but still...

I also tend to forget that the weekly serialized works release in chapters, not volumes, and how that limits what you can actually write about such a small dose of material compared to a 21-minute show. But, as it is, most posts here are undecipherable to me, which lends the thread more of an alien feel.

Reading a couple pages of this thread, I find it odd how most chapter/volume impressions here tend to amount single sentences, and how hard it is to make sense out of them if you don't follow the series yourself... It's a bit weird coming from the anime OT, at least.

I guess that's just how things roll around here, but it's way harder for me to get what you guys are talking about compared to when I'm on the anime side.

You kinda get used to it though. There's quite a few series that I don't read that other people always comment on, and even through their one or two sentence reactions, I get a good idea of what its about, or whats going on.

A good example is Fuuka. I've never read a chapter and I don't plan to, but the reactions are fun to read.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah, the norm is to talk about single chapter (and for some series, one chapter mean only a single page). Once in a while, we do full review of a series or a volume for a series that already completed. Or we talk about development for popular manga. Anyway, check The OP since Dramatis compile some of the best impression or review that's a lot more user friendly.

Tokkyuu! Series impression
Well, since Grand Blue is getting popular, time to give a recommendation about a similar manga about diving, though this one focus on rescue team. The humor is similar to grand blue. Those diver guys really love to get naked everytime they're getting drunk.

Now, this one take its story far more serious.thw main character, Hyogo Kanbayashi is a good guy who want to join special rescue team called Tokkyuu. He's a pure hearted shonen guy who almost have no interest in dating woman.

The story are usually about the rescue operation that Hyogo and his team did and also his attempt to be recruited into Tokkyuu. There's many detail and a lot of exciting scenario about rescue.

Some of the disaster can be harrowing. At one point they talk about recent disaster like Aceh tsunami or similar stuff.

The art is great, there's many eye and body variation making each character very distinguishable. There almost no same face syndrome for male or female character.

Give it a read if you're into a story about rescue operation

upandaway

Yeah, I get that it's just a completely different medium where most series tend to be long-runners. But, say, the posts about that militarized magical girls series helped me learn what it was about to some degree. That's probably because the series is just getting started, as opposed to being on chapter 240 already, but still...

I also tend to forget that the weekly serialized works release in chapters, not volumes, and how that limits what you can actually write about such a small dose of material compared to a 21-minute show. But, as it is, most posts here are undecipherable to me, which lends the thread more of an alien feel.
I'm actually not really sure that the difference in mediums is the big reason why. It's true that there's less to write about 18 pages, but impressions here are usually reserved for monthly chapters too. I'd say it's what the thread grew into naturally, back from when it was about a handful of manga everyone read together, and there wasn't any need to write a short summary every week. There's also the fact that for roughly the same amount of story/content, going through it in manga form is twice as fast as watching it as an anime.

About indecipherable posts, consider that say you see an intriguing post about an anime/manga, it would be a lot quicker and require no effort to check the manga's first chapter out and see what's up with it in a couple of minutes. Compared to anime where it's less inviting.

Zweizer

Banned

Why say any more words than necessary?

kapowza

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch64-65

adorable

I've also been reading Katekin by the same author and while it's a lot more pervy it still has heart and humour.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch442

That man always means trouble.

Primo Piatto (One-shot) by Dowman Sayman

Short story about the virtues of eating good food.

Tejina Senpai ch32

Poor senpai has such a heartless assistant.

bobohoro

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch442

That man always means trouble.

A Guilty Gear crossover could be fun.
Although I have no idea how that would work.

Soma 187

I mean, that was kinda obvious.
Still, that page of Soe-dono was pretty badass. Undoing the tie before a foodgasm burst is a sign of total control.

dramatis

Well, Shengar is a guy who likes to go read something and then come back with 7 huge paragraphs agonizing over what he just read.

In short, there are a lot of posters who write a lot of short posts. Then there are posters who prefer being more detailed. Not everyone has the same taste or posting style.

Right now I think there's a bit of a lull period because there hasn't been, in the past few months, an exciting, broadly appealing new manga that gets everyone sucked in. There's been times where the thread goes on binges, and we haven't had that in a while. So it's been slow consumption of routine series + small fluffier/bloodier stuff.

I'm travelling for work so I'll have to wait til I'm back at the office to post a response but I'll get into why I stopped posting longer impressions/chapter readings later.

Short answer; it's not worth it.

Okay, so here's the thing:

There's a combination of factors that make it so the Manga thread is mostly a few sentences or one of vague impressions instead of the Athenium of Educated Manga Discussion.

1. Manga chapters are generally weekly, sometimes monthly and rarely do people talk about volumes instead of the latest chapter. As such, there is significantly less to talk about even if a lot happens in a chapter because they are shorter. You'll notice that monthly chapters often get more writing done about them and volume discussions got much more. That's just due to there being more to actually talk about. For example, Tomo-chan comes out every day and is a 4-koma so I sure as fuck am not writing a diatribe about it. My Hero Academia comes out weekly and generally has an okay amount to talk about because the chapters are very packed due to it's pacing. The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is monthly(?) and gets a LOT of deeper discussion in here because of it's themes, length and the amount of time between releases.

2. Following from 1, writing long write-ups of weekly chapters can get fucking exhausting especially with the amount of manga that most of us read. The vast majority of dudes posting in here aren't AnimeGAFfers and don't approach manga like them. Reading a chapter a week or even further between isn't an enormous investment and as a result a lot of us follow a fucking lot of manga whereas people in AnimeGAF maybe look at a handful of shows a season and drop all of them but one because a character used the improper term of endearment for a sister or one of the shots lingered too long after a character stopped talking or whatever. Manga readers are a little more accepting on the whole due to the significantly smaller time investment. Combined with the fact that there aren't seasons and that chapters for manga come out every day, there aren't lulls of discussion for the most part where we wait for the weekend and need to fill the time with sophistry or heightened examinations.

3. Because of 1 and 2, many manga readers treat this thread like Discord or Line conversations; they post immediate reactions to chapters which people see, check out the chapter, then react themselves. Like a time lapse Nico Nico video. Just leave your reactions and look at other people's. When it's a volume or longer chapter, as I said, you'll see a bit more discussion. Or if it's about a manga in general that may not circle around the current chapter. So since it's instant reactions, a lot of people try not to post spoilers or things that could ruin it for others as sometimes the notice that a chapter is out is seeing it posted about in this thread. I'm not one of those people, I posit that if a chapter is out it's fair game to talk about, but I'm an asshole.

4. Related to 3, AnimeGAF users who post longer impressions often treat it like a blog or their own review thread and I'm not gonna get into a discussion about AnimeGAF as my distaste for the majority of it is fairly well-trod at this point. If you're looking to C&P your blog post about how the first volume of Super Serious World War II Economic Destabilization Manga: Is My Country's Economy Really This Poorly Mismanaged?! so people can fluff you up or applaud your deep insights...well, this isn't really a thread where you'll find much reception. That's not to say we don't engage in elongated or deep discussions about more complicated issues or things of that nature; we certainly do. We're just a lot more laid-back and less "Here's my write-up" about it.

5. Something I do feel is a bit unfortunate, though this is hardly reserved for the Manga Community thread and certainly happens...well, fucking everywhere on this board and during my brief time in the Anime OT, is that most of the time it's just not worth the time and investment to write something long or insightful. For whatever combination of reasons above or that I haven't gone into, that's not really why people come to this thread. If you go back and would look at my posts when I started coming into the Manga Thread I'd dedicate paragraphs to discussions of single weekly chapters, new manga I just started out reading, responses to other people's impressions of a manga or reminiscing about manga I read. I pretty much stopped doing that when one or two or no people would read or respond to my posts. It's not like I wanted recognition; I just really love manga and really wanted to talk about things I was passionate about with other people. But that's not the form of discussion that is most common here, most people aren't going to read my long-ass impressions of Kengan Asura and start reading it or really discuss it to be frank. It is what it is at this point and it's hard to predict what will actually get a strong discussion going.

I'd love to constantly write about the manga I read at length but due to the nature of this thread or the general approach to it it's just not worth the time or viable. You can only write so many essays about the problematic elements of Tsugumomo obscuring it from being the best action manga going with 0 response without it getting to you.

As far as making it dense or harder to become involved in the discussions here, I'd honestly say it's much more welcoming or open to people coming in than most community threads on GAF. The majority of us are laid-back and read a variety of series so there's very little elitism or cultural gatekeeping here, the thread is rarely co-opted by clique-ish posters or overwhelmed by those with certain tastes (Zweizer doesn't just read Yuri for example) and if you begin posting your impressions to a series a lot of people follow you'll kinda fit right in. As someone who has tried to become a member of MANY of the OTs in Community threads the Manga Thread is probably the only one I actually felt invited or easy to get into. I barely post in any of the others I tried to become a part of.

I understand it's really bothersome to read a one sentence reaction to a series that you don't know anything about so it doesn't feel like you can enter the discussion but honestly a lot of series I discovered here were done simply by looking up a manga based on knowing the poster's tastes, seeing a lot of people posting about it (thank you Golden Kamuy) or seeing someone post a page from it. Longer discussions and deeper impressions are certainly better for getting those who don't know about a series involved with it but not all postings are designed around facilitating a person's entry into a series. It would be very nonsensical to explain, in detail, every new chapter of a weekly series that's been going on for 200 chapters every time you post in case someone doesn't get what you're talking about because they don't read the series.

Honestly, once you sorta find the groove of how this thread works I'd probably say it's the best and most chill OT in the Community section. I can count on like...one hand the number of arguments or fights that break out over a period of years whereas a lot of threads seem filled to the brim with snark, mean-spiritedness or elitism.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san 15

Poor GG-chan.

Tejina Senpai 32

Assistant-kun being (largely) immune to senpai's charms is the most incredible magic of all. Especially when she's in casual wear.

Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san 4

mIqoRTM.png

I'm surprisingly bad with horror movies. Watching The Ring as a kid kinda put me off them for life. Anyway, fond as I am of this series, this chapter was slightly disappointing for 2 reasons: Akari's friend was despairingly normal, and there were zero coffins involved in the sleepover.

[the thing]
👍

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, Shengar is a guy who likes to go read something and then come back with 7 huge paragraphs agonizing over what he just read.

In short, there are a lot of posters who write a lot of short posts. Then there are posters who prefer being more detailed. Not everyone has the same taste or posting style.

Right now I think there's a bit of a lull period because there hasn't been, in the past few months, an exciting, broadly appealing new manga that gets everyone sucked in. There's been times where the thread goes on binges, and we haven't had that in a while. So it's been slow consumption of routine series + small fluffier/bloodier stuff.

Yeah. Been a while since we got something big. I think the most recent one are Golden Kamuy, Kaguya want to be confessed, Helck.

I wish more people read Kuutei Dragon though. I really hope it get better so i can promote it with more confidence.

There's a combination of factors that make it so the Manga thread is mostly a few sentences or one of vague impressions instead of the Athenium of Educated Manga Discussion.

Honestly, once you sorta find the groove of how this thread works I'd probably say it's the best and most chill OT in the Community section. I can count on like...one hand the number of arguments or fights that break out over a period of years whereas a lot of threads seem filled to the brim with snark, mean-spiritedness or elitism.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san 15

Poor GG-chan.
Nice write up.
about the bolded one, i think we probably scared several Seo Kouji fan (lol)

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 4

Well, it goes exactly just how i expected it. She's right, having sex with sex worker while having almost zero social skills is like asking someone who can ride a bike to ride a motoGP bike at full speed. She's lucky her partner is very understanding, though working as a sex worker, she probably have experience having to deal with nasty customer.
The sex scene was handled really well. We get to see the main character facing her inner demon and a bit of humor that could totally happen during sex (the search for hymen!)

It's greaaaat!
Oh, Julianimp, since you can read Japanese, maybe you could give this one a try. There's free version on the author pixiv.

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 38

Ishigami is salty as fuck

Zweizer

Banned
The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness ch4

It went exactly as well as someone with zero social skills and zero sexual experience would manage.

Good thing the prostitute was a nice person and understanding.

I quite like how the majority of posts here are concise and, by and large, people won't write more than they need to, constantly faffing over how awesome something is. (except for dungeon meshi, which totes deserves that kinda treatment).

but then, i've already written way too many times about how much i despise excessive exposition, so no surprise there.

For me its usually because of the impressions are chapters which might not have much content or to avoid any spoilers and also i'm not really the type to post a lot.

If its either a completed series or i few volumes i will write a bit more but it wont be a bunch of paragraphs.

A nice ice breaker i usually notice in here is just asking about a series in question or any variation of the "what are good <insert genre here> manga's to check out" question. Another good one is just giving impressions and you might get a few to continue the discussion (usually in spoiler tags so as not to offend :p).

Nice write up Oni but here

I can count on like...one hand the number of arguments or fights that break out over a period of years whereas a lot of threads seem filled to the brim with snark, mean-spiritedness or elitism.

It happened in here a lot more than one hand, mainly in the height of the Big 3 era, but a combination of some of the series getting their own threads again, their quality declining or they ended and the usual posters who would be involved in the arguments either stop posting due to disinterest or relocating or being banned has toned down all of that stuff big time.

and to add to 5:

Also when it came to arguments the level of discourse pushed was so low most times that it now longer made sense for some posters. Why even bother writing up all that for a discussion when someone can plainly ignore it or cherry pick shit from it in an effort to still push whatever agenda they have? I have seen posters like Oni who had a lot to say in discussions at first and then they eventually "regressed" to one liners (Stat Flow for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom