• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I started thinking the same some months ago. But I've been silent until now.
It's because MangaGAF sucks. I would say I like more manga than anime, but animeGaf is better than mangaGaf.

90% of the posts as you said are one-liners, super short impressions of a new chapter. They are so short that are worthless, they basically are "this is good", "this is lewd", "this is so-so", "X happened", etc.

In truth, I consider that what's truly happening is people saying "I'm reading this" in a roundabout way, that's the true meaning of their posts. At least that's the only meaning I get from them. It's like annotating in MAL what they wrote.

People will put excuses like "well, this manga is weekly so usually there isn't a lot to say from just 20 pages". It isn't like after watching a 60 minute episode of a HBO series, you see.
Well, if nothing happened worth commenting, maybe they shouldn't post a fucking comment. It isn't that hard. You don't have an obligation to write in the thread every time you read a chapter of something, maybe they should do it when they really have something to say that it's worth sharing in a specific chapter. Or maybe write a post every 6-7 chapters commenting on how the series is going. Or if it's a short manga don't write the moment you read 2 chapters, wait until it's finished before writing the impressions.

If we were in a Offtopic or even gaming side, some mods would give bans for the high amount of spam messages with low content, you aren't supposed to write a 5-word comment of a game for every 10 minutes of play you do or even 5 minutes of a film you are watching, but this is Community where things are more left unchecked, threads are allowed to be more a stream-of-consciousness / informal chat.

A few examples from some pages ago

The funny thing is that the half dozen people that mostly post in this machinegun style and also read the same series don't bother to discuss or engage each other comments. Each one just drops their 6 words sentence and usually that's it.
I get where you are coming from but people never really engage anymore so it's hard to post much more than a short impression to see if people have a more focused opinion.

It's easier to do on somewhere like Reddit or Something Awful where individual series get their own thread but I really like GAF so I'm gonna just post a short impression if I have one. If people don't react they don't.

Wiseblade

World Trigger definitely suffers from the same problem that a lot of Sentai/Power Rangers seasons have. A massive global threat entirely focused around a mid-sized Japanese town. It also reminds me of how the opponents escalated in the Inazuma Eleven games from Other schools in town > Aliens > other real world countries. Do Japanese people just never travel abroad?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
World Trigger definitely suffers from the same problem that a lot of Sentai/Power Rangers seasons have. A massive global threat entirely focused around a mid-sized Japanese town. It also reminds me of how the opponents escalated in the Inazuma Eleven games from Other schools in town > Aliens > other real world countries. Do Japanese people just never travel abroad?
Look, man Angel Grove is a dangerous place.

Wiseblade

Look, man Angel Grove is a dangerous place.
I always appreciated when the writers would go out of their way to explain that the invading force was just that stupid, that they held a personal grudge against the Rangers or localised the threat somehow. But when you're based on the moon or have an orbiting invasion force, you're stretching suspension of disbelief for no good reason.

I always appreciated when the writers would go out of their way to explain that the invading force was just that stupid, that they held a personal grudge against the Rangers or localised the threat somehow. But when you're based on the moon or have an orbiting invasion force, you're stretching suspension of disbelief for no good reason.

Reminds me of Bleach where the afterlife was based on some early 20th century Japan, and why there existence threatening threats kept dicking around in this small inconsequential Japanese town Ichigo and co lived in.

To be fair, World Trigger does try to offer justification by explaining that their HQ has some tech that forces almost all invasion portals to be localized in a radius around it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
To be fair, World Trigger does try to offer justification by explaining that their HQ has some tech that forces almost all invasion portals to be localized in a radius around it.
That's actually better than no reason. Yet, the trope of Japan being central to the setting is not gonna change.

Shengar

I'd love to constantly write about the manga I read at length but due to the nature of this thread or the general approach to it it's just not worth the time or viable. You can only write so many essays about the problematic elements of Tsugumomo obscuring it from being the best action manga going with 0 response without it getting to you.

Sorry I haven't read it yet ;___;

In regard to long-short post, I think I have similar complaint to that in the past. But as time goes on, I could understand why MangaGaf filled more with short impression that the longer one, the medium being an obvious factor here. For me, I'm only write long impression on a finished manga. Writing a lengthily analysis for an ongoing manga have chance that what I write will be nullified or making me looks stupid by a new chapter. There's an exception of course like Helck where the ongoing quality just keep showing or like Gunka no Baltzar where it's not able to fully realize its full potential.

On reactionless on long post, on my experience, it's not like people don't like reading huge wall of text (as long as they're not insufferable or anything). Most of the time people just haven't read it (they probably start doing so because of your lengthily post though), or agree with what you're saying. When the latter is true, there's nothing to be gain if you're just going to say that you're agree with it right? Also I probably miss some long impression because I don't visit GAF that often in recent years anymore.

Wiseblade

Reminds me of Bleach where the afterlife was based on some early 20th century Japan, and why there existence threatening threats kept dicking around in this small inconsequential Japanese town Ichigo and co lived in.
(I can't believe I'm about to defend BLEACH)

To be fair, the town is stated to be the nexus of some spirit leylines or somesuch to explain why everything happens there. No explanation for why the afterlife is explicitly Japanese though.

That tech only draws the portals away from the town, it's never stated that it is covering the entire world.

Revo

Toriko 391

Lol, everyone just losing half their bodies.
The best thing is that because it's toriko I don't even know if they're half dead or fully dead or okay with losing half their bodies because they ate a special food.

That tech only draws the portals away from the town, it's never stated that it is covering the entire world.
Oh, was that it? Been a while since I remember it being brought up, so I must have gotten it wrong. Guess them aliens must really want to conquer that small Japanese town in the middle of nowhere. Maybe the organs there are particularly good.

cntr

Banned
I've always appreciated how Araki is willing to use non-Japanese characters and set Jojo outside Japan.

Only two parts take place in Japan, and only four Jojos are explicitly Japanese. Except DiU makes Morioh look like an American suburb, and one of them moved to Italy and thinks of himself as Italian.

dramatis

Ba ha ha ha ha ha.
Be respectful. The latter part of your post is poor behavior.

GAF has only been down and crappy for a day, everyone got strung up.

What I will say is that detailed long posts usually get the benefit of being picked for recs banner in the OP compared to short one liners, because they are more informative. Granted, people still read what's on the recs list without reading the poster's commentary first.

Ex-fucking-scuse me?

He writes an entire diatribe dedicated to shitting on this thread and the posters in it and I'M disrespectful?

Are you guys fucking serious?

You just need to disagree politely, no need to tell people to fuck off. "X is better than Y" arguments are not worth getting THAT worked up.

MANUELF

Banned
To the users who were talking about there being no discussion in ManGaf should check the mangas OTs, at least in the One Piece one we just had a heated debate about the usefulness of women in the crew and the series in general

Wiseblade

Oh, was that it? Been a while since I remember it being brought up, so I must have gotten it wrong. Guess them aliens must really want to conquer that small Japanese town in the middle of nowhere. Maybe the organs there are particularly good.
I mean, it could operate on a global scale but it is brought up in the story in the context of protecting the city. The rest of the world basically is never mentioned.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have a feeling Toriko is going to pull an Edo Tensei and resurrect everyone that has died as of late.

To the users who were talking about there being no discussion in ManGaf should check the mangas OTs, at least in the One Piece one we just had a heated debate about the usefulness of women in the crew and the series in general

That discussion has happened here many times in here as well though.

Just an after effect of moving the topic somewhere else.

If it's that important i say just go to the thread that is dedicated to the topic at hand. *shrug*

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch443

Pfft, Jun keeps disappointing.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai ch23

4DSHeKF.png

Being a Dullahan is not very practical.

dramatis

Ex-fucking-scuse me?

He writes an entire diatribe dedicated to shitting on this thread and the posters in it and I'M disrespectful?

Are you guys fucking serious?
I'm treading on backseat modding to tell you that you can be banned for telling people to fuck off. Do you understand why I left that line out of quoting your post and why I worded my post the way I did? Read between the lines.

Yes, he wrote a long post crapping on posting styles in this thread. But that is his prerogative and an answer such as "fuck off back to the anime thread" is not conducive to a better community or a better discussion. That kind of attitude drives people away.

I'm treading on backseat modding to tell you that you can be banned for telling people to fuck off. Do you understand why I left that line out of quoting your post and why I worded my post the way I did? Read between the lines.

Yes, he wrote a long post crapping on posting styles in this thread. But that is his prerogative and an answer such as "fuck off back to the anime thread" is not conducive to a better community or a better discussion. That kind of attitude drives people away.

Please don't act like you're risking yourself to do me any kind of favor.

If it's his prerogative to write a post that could be classified as not conducive to a better community or better discussion, as it was designed for neither, then I have no problem giving it the correct amount of respect in response; which is to say, none.

If it drives him away from posting here I'm sure in my heart of hearts I won't really care.

HStallion

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch443

Pfft, Jun keeps disappointing.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai ch23

Being a Dullahan is not very practical.

So the view of the world of a toddler strapped to their parents chest is a terrible one.

Wiseblade

That discussion has happened here many times in here as well though.

Just an after effect of moving the topic somewhere else.

If it's that important i say just go to the thread that is dedicated to the topic at hand. *shrug*
This is why I'm annoyed by all those separate manga threads. If there's anything restricting discussion here, it's that anything popular gets spun off into its own thread which is dead 6 days of the week.

HStallion

This is why I'm annoyed by all those separate manga threads. If there's anything restricting discussion here, it's that anything popular gets spun off into its own thread which is dead 6 days of the week.

The HxH manga thread is certainly very active with every new release...

JulianImp

I'm kind of glad to read some of you guys' opinions on the thread and the general posting habits, and having read your points of view I agree that it isn't as simple as proclaiming "AnimeGAF's better" and calling one-liner posts crap or something, when you're actually reviewing the equivalent of a five-minute short anime episode (if even), which might even cut off before anything worthwhile actually happens.

Then again, I also agree that spinning off too many shows into their own separate threads can be detrimental to the health of both the individual series' OT and the compilation thread as well. I saw it over and over with anime JoJo where we'd all watch the latest episode on Fridays, and then the rest of the week would get filled with idle chat, people going *wink wink nudge* with manga spoilers or references and not much else, making it kind of a waste. Then there were other shows like Gakkou-gurashi, where the threads were just dead the whole time except for three or four episode impressions every week.

The counterarguent could be that, say, specific series' discussions would be harder to follow in the MangaOT if they get drowned amidst other series', so I guess that series that happen to be particularily popular really ought to get their own threads in order to avoid cluttering the manga OTs up and making things harder to read for everyone.

PK Gaming

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness

Has this caught on with MangaGAF yet? Because if not, then it should, because it's really, really good. It's an autobiographical style manga that deals with a college dropout who's suffering from loneliness (duh), depression, sexual frustration, intense social anxiety and trying to live as an adult despite not having a direction in life. In short, it's kinda heavy.

I think what makes this manga really work is how relatable it is. It's depressing, but not overwhelmingly depressing to the point where it feels inauthentic. This is a manga based on real life dealing with real ass problems, and I think most of us can relate to at least some of the things the author is experiencing. And it's not all depressing; she knows when to pull back and go for levity and general humor when its necessary.

But yeah, this is probably the best manga I've read in years. 200%/10, absolutely would recommend to pretty much anyone.

dramatis

Please don't act like you're risking yourself to do me any kind of favor.

If it's his prerogative to write a post that could be classified as not conducive to a better community or better discussion, as it was designed for neither, then I have no problem giving it the correct amount of respect in response; which is to say, none.

If it drives him away from posting here I'm sure in my heart of hearts I won't really care.
It's not about me risking anything; I try my best not to trod into territory that I shouldn't be in.

What I ask for is simple: don't act like a dick to other posters just because you don't like what they post. He gave reasons, details, and made a lengthy commentary regarding his personal opinion about what he preferred in Anime GAF over Manga GAF. You, on the other hand, just told him to "fuck off back to anime GAF". I think it's pretty obvious the one who is in the wrong is you.

The problem here isn't that he has a negative opinion of the manga OT, but that you dismissed his opinion through insult and lashing out, and then expected people to back you up as if you were righteous. That's arrogance.

we had discussion about separate manga threads too and stuff

it is just I guess that do to the fact that there are too many series we usually make reviewing such things in depth as minimal as possible in order to keep things balanced

we also have grouping days due to serialization releases

usually through out the week we follow the same pattern over and over again

it is more like a relaxed known atmosphere that I guess is harder to follow if you are new to this thread

Shengar

I'm kind of glad to read some of you guys' opinions on the thread and the general posting habits, and having read your points of view I agree that it isn't as simple as proclaiming "AnimeGAF's better" and calling one-liner posts crap or something, when you're actually reviewing the equivalent of a five-minute short anime episode (if even), which might even cut off before anything worthwhile actually happens.
Honestly though I found writing long impression for an ongoing series is rather weird if not wasteful. Because what I write could be rendered meaningless if the said series took a weird turn and we know how a lot of anime and manga jumped the shark. Unless the point of impressions is emphasized on details that found within that episode/chapter or technical execution (animation for anime, paneling and flow for manga, art consistency for both) which is will stay true regardless of what happened in the future episode/series.

oh never noticed OniBarubaru got hit

hopefully it is just temporary seeing as he is the sole leader of the Rindou Snake theory fandom

World Trigger 161

Well now we've finally seen all the members of the Tamakoma branch seems like we've the whole thing in order now

also lol at Rieji being all stiff when the operator Yuri returned

Kingdom

Karyo ten is insane with these trails lol

anyway those archer guys are pretty good... I wonder if one day they will face off against the archer rookie in that other kingdom

bigkrev

So you didn't throw your Nisekoi volumes into a fire, bigkrev? Aw.

Wrong waifu won, ect

The actual reason is that I'm not going to finish buying the series because I am trying to stop spending money on things I don't like, and thus would rather have it off my shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom