• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Primo Piatto (oneshot)
A tales about immortality. Yeah, it's Dowman Sayman alright. Didn't see the ending coming.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san 15

That is kinda nasty when you think about it. Fusing with cockroach *shudder
Also, braveman is the hero we deserved and need.

Zweizer

Banned
Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch15

Poor GG-chan. Talk about making a wish upon a Monkey's paw.

WX1sjEb.png

Words of wisdom that too many forget.

Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san ch4

Akari is the scariest.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
My Hero Academia ch. 111

Inasa holding that petty grudge tightly.

I like the explanation for holding this exam - looking for a Justice League of sorts, rather than the next All Might.

Shinriji

Chikyuu no Houkago 27

Always nice getting a sol chapter between plot ones.

Is this "After School of the Earth"? This POS was licensed last year and I bought all 6 volumes because I was intrigued by the anime shown on Crunchyroll.

Stop it before it's too late. Seriously.

pbayne

Butterfly Neighbor

So ageist. 30 is ancient, jeez. Nice age-gap romance.

Hatsukoi Kouho

So your marrying a guy because he looks like a guy your granmother dated once? ffs Japan.

Gyu...tte Shite Ii?

So your "loaning" your sister to be a pillow for some guy? Double ffs Japan.

Revo

Is this "After School of the Earth"? This POS was licensed last year and I bought all 6 volumes because I was intrigued by the anime shown on Crunchyroll.

Stop it before it's too late. Seriously.

There's apparently not that many chapters left so I might as well see it to the end. If it becomes a wreck, might as well have a laugh.

upandaway

My Hero Academia ch. 111

Inasa holding that petty grudge tightly.

I like the explanation for holding this exam - looking for a Justice League of sorts, rather than the next All Might.
Well theoretically an All Might type would excel in this exam too. He'd excel in any exam that isn't straight up cooperation-only, that's his whole concept, so shifting the exam to this is objectively good

Loved this chapter, Deku is the best

Zweizer

Banned
Dungeon Meshi ch28

Nice breather chapter. They really came a long way, and it's pretty heartwarming to see the mreunited again.

This has got to be the most appetizing meal so far.

My Hero Academia ch111

Talk about a bad moment to have a bone to pick.

Reading a couple pages of this thread, I find it odd how most chapter/volume impressions here tend to amount single sentences, and how hard it is to make sense out of them if you don't follow the series yourself... It's a bit weird coming from the anime OT, at least.

I guess that's just how things roll around here, but it's way harder for me to get what you guys are talking about compared to when I'm on the anime side.

I started thinking the same some months ago. But I've been silent until now.
It's because MangaGAF sucks. I would say I like more manga than anime, but animeGaf is better than mangaGaf.

90% of the posts as you said are one-liners, super short impressions of a new chapter. They are so short that are worthless, they basically are "this is good", "this is lewd", "this is so-so", "X happened", etc.

In truth, I consider that what's truly happening is people saying "I'm reading this" in a roundabout way, that's the true meaning of their posts. At least that's the only meaning I get from them. It's like annotating in MAL what they wrote.

People will put excuses like "well, this manga is weekly so usually there isn't a lot to say from just 20 pages". It isn't like after watching a 60 minute episode of a HBO series, you see.
Well, if nothing happened worth commenting, maybe they shouldn't post a fucking comment. It isn't that hard. You don't have an obligation to write in the thread every time you read a chapter of something, maybe they should do it when they really have something to say that it's worth sharing in a specific chapter. Or maybe write a post every 6-7 chapters commenting on how the series is going. Or if it's a short manga don't write the moment you read 2 chapters, wait until it's finished before writing the impressions.

If we were in a Offtopic or even gaming side, some mods would give bans for the high amount of spam messages with low content, you aren't supposed to write a 5-word comment of a game for every 10 minutes of play you do or even 5 minutes of a film you are watching, but this is Community where things are more left unchecked, threads are allowed to be more a stream-of-consciousness / informal chat.

A few examples from some pages ago

Helck 77.1
Thats a face I wasnt expecting to see.

Keijo 94
Onee-sama~

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch432
How rude of Tomo!

Keijo ch94
Everyone needs an onee-sama.
Nozomi has the best imagination.

The New Kurosawa ch56
USA USA USA

Baby Steps 273
Never actually heard of beach tennis.

Baby Steps 274
Big Kanda, being the number filler.

Prison School ch. 230
Not sure if Andre's in heaven or hell right now.

Helck ch. 77.1
Not even Helck can stop Helck.

One Piece
Nami being useful +1

jitsu wa watashi wa 144
we can't all be good at singing.

Tomo 428 - 434
Carol knows nothing of the real world.

The funny thing is that the half dozen people that mostly post in this machinegun style and also read the same series don't bother to discuss or engage each other comments. Each one just drops their 6 words sentence and usually that's it.

Welcome to the Ballroom Volume 1
Wkcc.jpg

For a first volume it wasn't bad, though it's not as grabbing for me as Subaru and Moon.
Looks like Fujita is the usual normal spineless guy with hidden talent not even he knows or realizes which will come out with some hard work and practice, or something. I could be off-base but that's the way he looked to me. It's not a bad thing per se but it feels a bit boring. Bonus point for at least trying to work on changing himself from the first volume, raising his status over some other main characters.
I didn't find the use the author did of Shizuku to be all that cool to be honest. Willingly or unwillingly, it did end feeling like she's more of an accessory than another main character or someone important to the story other than she's gorgeous in her dancing dress.

I think it was me who wrote an hyperbolic post about it, not Dramatis :p.

Yeah, it's a very standard sports/competition series, it isn't like there is a big secret twist later. For me it works because the pure execution of the work, including the drawing. But the author deepens a bit in the characters in later volumes.

upandaway

Seriously though, what was the last big group binge? The last significant one I can think of was Molester Man and that was years ago.
Dungeon Meshi or Tomo-chan? Although I didn't join in so I'm not sure how many did. The most recent one I remember for sure is Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou

Dungeon Meshi ch28

Nice breather chapter. They really came a long way, and it's pretty heartwarming to see the mreunited again.

This has got to be the most appetizing meal so far.

No joke. Freshly toasted bread, caramelized onions, cheese and medium rare meat? gimme dat. gimme dat now.

LeleSocho

Banned
You can only write so many essays about the problematic elements of Tsugumomo obscuring it from being the best action manga going with 0 response without it getting to you.
I feel so guilty reading this :(

I started thinking the same some months ago. But I've been silent until now.
[other stuff]
I'm not going to say you are wrong because you are not the first one to raising questions about this "one liner" posting that goes on here and probably won't be the last and i genuinely think you guys have a point.
Since this thing has been noticed i've been posting less and less because i want everyone to have a good time here, i don't post my daily comment on Tomo-chan chapters and i'm sure to comment only chapters that i particularly enjoyed but even then it's always a couple of sentences and no more because i really think that the sense of a whole chapter can be expressed in one-liners.
Now this week i have yet to comment Toriko's chapter and i'll do it now but in two ways, one where i feel it's good and another where i'll put all of myself to be as verbose as possible.

---
Toriko - 391
Everybody and their mothers got destroyed but somehow they do not care.

Toriko - 391
Ichiryuu is surprised to see Frohze but he really shouldn't be since they are both "dead" and because of all the stuff we've seen in the manga before, Acacia is a dumdum because he's cooking himself eating all this rage but at least he has eye lasered everyone now and doesn't have to worry about them in the fight against Toriko. Funny that Komatsu, a "normal" human, doesn't care that half his body is missing but has that reassuring look for his friend.
Teppei just chilling there waiting for stuff to happen...
---

To me the second type of post doesn't add absolutely anything to the discussion compared to the first one which is succinct and manages to get the point across... that's why i rarely or never make long posts on a single chapter.
Despite all this though i think i'll continue to post rarely if these short posts bother people so much.

Arabesque

Dungeon Meshi 28

One of the few rare moments we see a serious Laius, and it is pretty heartwarming seeing him with his sister again. Pretty nice laid back chapter after everything that happened to lead us here.

That cliffhanger tho

I guess the elf was just hanging around for the past 1000 years in the dungeon?

anyways I wonder what the deal with farlyn is

joking aside, this chapter just cemented that whatever that black magic was, it made Farlyn either a part dragon or supercharged her with dragon quantity magic, I think

To me the second type of post doesn't add absolutely anything to the discussion compared to the first one which is succinct and manages to get the point across... that's why i rarely or never make long posts on a single chapter.
Despite all this though i think i'll continue to post rarely if these short posts bother people so much.

I don't have much to add to how other people post, since it never bothered me because I learnt how people like to post in here and what the place is like. I like reading in depth post from time to time if they have a lot to add, especially if they were for a volume or a series review (or just a read through of a bunch of chapters, for example) but reading shorter posts give a more succinct impression of what might be a short or one off chapter. That's not to say I don't think the opposite is also nice to read from time to time, but like the examples you used, sometimes there just isn't much of substance in the mostly read series in the thread. The first example gets across the most important stuff, unless you start to go through a recap of what happened in the chapter and try and find meaning where there isn't.

Speaking personally on my posts, I am someone who had been criticised (not here, but it happened a few times elsewhere) before for being long winded and my posts being filled with a lot of filler or uninteresting insight. Part of it is because the stuff I right about isn't worth the effort put in, part of it because of my writing style, part of it just because people aren't really that interested in discussing whatever the thing is. It made me realise it is always best to either keep what I say direct and short, or try and find actual interesting stuff to write and talk about in whatever. It hasn't been working out as well as I hope but I try to improve.

I honestly think it is better for people to write however they wish to, even if it is a short sentence, so long as it is what they want to write. Better than feel obligated they need to write something longer without having anything more to say.

jman2050

How about people post the way they want to post and we don't make judgments based on arbitrary posting guidelines that don't exist. The OP has clear and simple rules regarding usage of bold type to help deal with issues regarding spoilers and general readability but other than that who truly gives a crap if impressions are an entire essay or just one sentence?

I'd add another thing that stifles conversation is people who read stuff what they official get released via Viz or Crunchy vs those who read chapters as soon as someone gets it translated online. Take a popular series like One Piece you have some people who post here when it is fan translated, some who post in the OP OT when it's translated, some who post here when Viz releases the chapter on Monday, and some who post in the OP OT when the chapter happens. People who read the official releases often avoid these threads to avoid discussion which limits conversation, and by the time they're able to discuss everyone else has moved on to the early leaks for next weeks chapter. GAF mods could come down hard and say "no discussion before the official release" but that would hurt both this and Anime GAF for the various series that don't get officially translated/released in English.

Jintor

Who gives a fuck how short your impressions are? If I want to write something substantive I will and if I want to write something off the cuff I will. I do it in AnimeGAF and I do it here.

Take Throx's effortposts on Eupho in animeGAF. A) They're not the norm, and B) Almost nobody has the substantive musical background necessary to say anything more than "I appreciate your post because of X Y and Z".

But he's not writing them for you. He's writing them for himself. And it's the same thing here.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Boku no Deku is the best i appreciate the logic of the test. It be ridiculous to expect another All Might to just "appear" Its also perfect set up for All Deku to appear!

Arabesque

I'd add another thing that stifles conversation is people who read stuff what they official get released via Viz or Crunchy vs those who read chapters as soon as someone gets it translated online. Take a popular series like One Piece you have some people who post here when it is fan translated, some who post in the OP OT when it's translated, some who post here when Viz releases the chapter on Monday, and some who post in the OP OT when the chapter happens. People who read the official releases often avoid these threads to avoid discussion which limits conversation, and by the time they're able to discuss everyone else has moved on to the early leaks for next weeks chapter. GAF mods could come down hard and say "no discussion before the official release" but that would hurt both this and Anime GAF for the various series that don't get officially translated/released in English.

I feel that is a different topic altogether, since how short (or long) a post is doesn't stifle conversation in the thread, or at least I hadn't gotten that impression from my time here. If a chapter or series has something interesting that warrants discussion, it will happen regardless of how the length the posts made about it are. You can't force people to have a convo about stuff they don't find interesting.

In regards to the issue of official vs scanlations, well that is out of everyone's control here. The official release can never beat the speed of the scanalations (because they need to commit to the street date of the magazine, which scanalations make a point to never do) and the most popular WSJ series are not going to stop being scanalated before they are out officially because of numerous reasons. Asking people who read the official WSJ series to not wait or asking the people reading the scans to wait (or hide everything under black bars) isn't convenient to anyone, and honestly if people would want to talk about something they should be free to do so whenever they feel like to. I wrote stuff on Orange and ReLife when they first came on Crunchy, all when discussions on them were nonexistent or long since done on their past chapters, because I wanted to or came around to feeling like writing stuff on them at the time. Or, like Jintor said

But he's not writing them for you. He's writing them for himself. And it's the same thing here.

Edit:

Akatsuki no Yona 130

I have to say, Kusanagi is milking every bit of Zeno's suffering these past arcs like it is no ones business. I guess his popularity post his revelation and the OVA did wonders for her.

Am curious to see how that little plan of controlling super humans is supposed to work exactly. Also happy to see English volume 2 doing super well in the US.

Blue Exorcist 82

Shiemi's rejection and follow up went on better than expected. Was worried about the whole Amaimon's return but thankfully that was settled as well as it could have been. Looking forward to where she goes. I liked the bit with Rin not wanting to fight his brother also.

I'm glad Bon and Lightning's investigation at least lead us *somewhere* rather than the 2 dicking along for another 3 months on nothing.

(NSFW)Koishirete Uwabami! (Fate/Grand Order doujinshi)

I was checking through the older pages in the the thread, seen something related to FGO, and figured I'd check it out. The comparison to moth girl should have tipped me off on what it was going to be like. That and Zweizer.

It's alright, I guess? Not my thing, will stick to the comics anthologies instead.

Kiyo is still bae tho.

KcLEfBY.jpg

PK Gaming

Who gives a fuck how short your impressions are? If I want to write something substantive I will and if I want to write something off the cuff I will. I do it in AnimeGAF and I do it here.

Take Throx's effortposts on Eupho in animeGAF. A) They're not the norm, and B) Almost nobody has the substantive musical background necessary to say anything more than "I appreciate your post because of X Y and Z".

Damn right

Caught up to World Trigger and realized I was kinda wrong on the whole pacing stuff since they kinda balance it out and try their best to focus on the four eye guys growth. Still what bothers me is something that is outside the plot but rather the world itself. I get it that in most manga the world revolves around japan so they usually don't focus on this stuff but literally a dimensional/solar invasion of mini countries coming at this village/town over and over again you would think (especially since the media reports on this) that the rest of the world would change to address this threat military like what border is doing but yet Border seems to be alone in this and what is worse they have to rely on sponsors to help them deal with these things instead of idk the UN.

I mean sure the first invasion seemed to have maybe the Japanese military involved but yet they got overwhelmed somehow against this enemies that don't seem that powerful relative to modern military hardware... granted it seems they might've only used tanks and ground forces instead of actually air superiority but still just from that experience alone you would assume the world would like border go into development of trion research and weaponry. I mean if they did and had trion bodies that can bail too then you would literally have a whole planet of potential trigger users and trion arms that would easily crush the main enemy country that they are currently facing that at most might be the same size as Japan in land mass.

I mean think about it D:

but then again this is fiction and maybe like Bleach this town is in a vacuum away from outside interference

Reading a couple pages of this thread, I find it odd how most chapter/volume impressions here tend to amount single sentences, and how hard it is to make sense out of them if you don't follow the series yourself... It's a bit weird coming from the anime OT, at least.

I guess that's just how things roll around here, but it's way harder for me to get what you guys are talking about compared to when I'm on the anime side.

Some of us used to actually right in depth stuff.... more so when we were newer here but when we got more series on our belts and actually stayed here longer we became more relaxed

we sometimes still do occasionally (for completed series) but usually the people here on MangaGAF are the same posters that we basically understand each others personalities and characteristics (at least in Manga reviewing)

hence a few words is enough for us to understand.... no one wants to read some long indepth review usually, especially if it is basically what you just read

it is also a mixture of avoiding spoilers for people and also not posting the obvious that some already will mostly know since they too read the same series

If it warrants anymore interest then we reply and they reply and so and so forth

MangaGAF is like the more relaxed AnimeGAF older brother

Arabesque

Border seems to be alone in this and what is worse they have to rely on sponsors to help them deal with these things instead of idk the UN.

But the sponsors are actually useful, unlike the UN.

In regards to the lack of insight in the relation and reaction the outside world has to what's going on in Mikado City, in story the reason is that it:

-happened in a relatively short amount of time not too long ago (only 4 and a half years ago) and that the "Old Border" that first responded to the invasion handled things more effectively than the military they decided to entrust them with the protection of the city.

-incidents like the one that happened aren't the norm, so while everywhere in the world people with high triton are spirited away with much fuss, whichever Nation State that invaded 4 years ago ended up acting completely differently from usual.

-ultimately, regardless of how shocking or terrifying what happened in this small city, the world at large moves on? I mean, if Border says they will handle it, why would anyone bother with the trouble of protecting this city in the middle of nowhere

The meta reasoning is mostly because Ashihara wants to 1) have his Stargate like Sci-Fi story and be able to keep track of every character in it and 2) keep it personal and possible to follow along the cast on their journey to the other worlds.

About the Trion technology, well, it is being researched on, but since it's tangential to the core cast's goals and problems, it isn't expanded on as much. And again, the tech is still relatively new (only known about for 10 years under Old Border, 4 years to the public at large) so it can be hand waved as "they aren't still at the point where they can make the tech available for wide usage yet".

I think part of it has to suspend your disbelief a bit to get along with the story, since to begin with, the story could be seen as enlisting kids and teenagers to become the equivalent of glorified mercenaries. But since the context in the story shows the case differently, you just go along with it.

but then again this is fiction and maybe like Bleach this town is in a vacuum away from outside interference

I think with Bleach, Kubo just never had the need (or the drive) to ever explore the living world outside of Standard Japanese City Type A because he could always create and entire plane of existence that he could say "Mexican Hot Topic Models live in a desert" or "Feudal Samurai live here now" that he could do whatever he liked with.

In World Trigger, Ashihara seems to want to make a story about 4 people in a small city going on a journey to find the brother of their friend. So while there is a world at large out there, it's not important to the story he wants to write and draw.

Glad you came around somewhat on World Trigger, I do agree it would be cool/will be cool when we get to see the larger world trigger world and not just this one town we've been in the whole series. At the same time the story is so focused on our core 3/4 characters there really hasn't been much of a reason to do so. I'd respond more but bed work zzzz

How about people post the way they want to post and we don't make judgments based on arbitrary posting guidelines that don't exist. The OP has clear and simple rules regarding usage of bold type to help deal with issues regarding spoilers and general readability but other than that who truly gives a crap if impressions are an entire essay or just one sentence?

Who knows if maybe in the future they'll will expand world triggers horizons

seeing as right now the author is laser focused in completing a checklist with as much detail as possible instead of a quick montage

on the world aspect... I don't assume the world would be interested in protecting that town per-say but rather after a media outburst and seeing footage of a ground army losing to these beings I would assume the world would want to acquire trion capabilities for trying to maintain the upper edge or some form of the military industrial complex

also they would likely wish to invest money on researching the so called smaller trion worlds seeing if they would ever pose a global thread

I'd assume we would've seen a trion arms race... I mean the bailout ability would do wonders in modern warfare and force-field shields and stuff too?

who knows... again like stated the author could just be focused on the town alone and not try and add the complexity of global consequences

-------------------
Edit: Also how this series goes into detail about tournaments, weapons, and strategies it can literally be made into a online team shooter game lol

spiritfox

If you want more substantial impressions why don't you start by doing some yourself? It's not like we'll chase you away for writing blocks of text.

NY Times Top Manga Sellers Oct 2nd - 8th

*1. Akatsuki no Yona Vol.2 (NEW)
*2. Shokugeki no Souma Vol.14 (NEW)
*3. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*4. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Vol.12 (NEW)
*5. Black Clover Vol.3 (NEW)
*6. Momochi-san Chi no Ayakashi Ouji Vol.6 (NEW)
*7. Berserk Vol.1
*8. Sousei no Onmyouji Vol.6 (NEW)
*9. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.8
10. One Punch-Man Vol.1

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I don't get it. When I do sit down and bang out some impressions / reviews, they rarely generate any discussion. Occasionally I'd get a comment here and there, but usually not. Which, you know, I get that, it's fine. Maybe no one is really feeling what I've read, or cares for how I type, or it's an older series that's been gone over who knows how many times so who even cares anymore, or w/e. But then when I make smaller posts, I get called out for it.

alright then

Surprised to see the first volume of Berserk on the list. Any particular reason for that??

I'm only guessing, but with the recent anime season finished up and Dark Horse announcing they're reprinting some volumes, maybe people are interested in collecting the series again.

who knows... again like stated the author could just be focused on the town alone and not try and add the complexity of global consequences

-------------------
Edit: Also how this series goes into detail about tournaments, weapons, and strategies it can literally be made into a online team shooter game lol

I do think it's best not to think too globally for World Trigger, but I just sort of handwave it to myself that Border isn't willing to spread out trion tech, in order to not kick off a global arms race and the like. And because they've forced the majority of invasions to only ever happen around their base, they have a legit excuse for not sharing it.

And yeah, there's tons of details during the Rank Wars. It does feel like it's dragging on a bit long now though....in a few chapters, the Rank Wars really will have taken up half the series. I still enjoy it because Ashihara has done well in mixing in character growth, build up for the expedition, and even that minor invasion arc, but I'm about ready for it to end.

pbayne

Vagabond BigAss Viz edition (3 in 1)

What can i say, it was fantastic.
Fair play to Viz because its one of the better big omnibus ive ever held. Big enough to fully appreciate the art but not too uncomfortable or awkward to hold, perfect really.

Soma 187

So I guess being a good cook raises the attractiveness in the eyes of the twins. Also the part of them playing with kurokiba was pretty funny.

Anyway, I wonder how hayama's dish will do. I'm kinda thinking it will be a split vote since you only need a majority to win.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma 187

So I guess being a good cook raises the attractiveness in the eyes of the twins. Also the part of them playing with kurokiba was pretty funny.

Anyway, I wonder how hayama's dish will do. I'm kinda thinking it will be a split vote since you only need a majority to win.
They kinda look similar. No idea how you're supposed to tell the difference between an attractive or unattractive anime character. Like every character in Shokugrki is super fit and stacked or ripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom