• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, I bought the first 3 Volumes for my friend for his birthday because I thought it was so unique and good at the start and then it suddenly shit the bed. And not like, gradually got to that point. It was exactly like 7 Deadly Sins where it hit a certain arc and all of a sudden it was like from an 8 or 9 to a 4.

Zweizer

Banned
My Hero Academia ch113

There'll most likely be some last chance.

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki ch23

He got dragged into soemthing troublesome again. At least it's for a good cause.

Like, I bought the first 3 Volumes for my friend for his birthday because I thought it was so unique and good at the start and then it suddenly shit the bed. And not like, gradually got to that point. It was exactly like 7 Deadly Sins where it hit a certain arc and all of a sudden it was like from an 8 or 9 to a 4.

It's because people need to accept that they had an idea for one arc, not a 500 chapter series to sustain itself.

Though I disagree about Nanatsu no Taizai, it was always around a 5 that occasionally hit a 7 because of how extraordinarily bad the fanservice is.

It's because people need to accept that they had an idea for one arc, not a 500 chapter series to sustain itself.

Though I disagree about Nanatsu no Taizai, it was always around a 5 that occasionally hit a 7 because of how extraordinarily bad the fanservice is.

Yeah, I can see that. I just liked it cause of the art and the fights were totally baller and then the exact moment it turned AWFUL was in the same span of time they revived Hawk and gave him a fucking DBZ scouter. I am almost positive this was chapter 100.

Now it's only worth reading for Escanor, King of Ballers

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yeah, I can see that. I just liked it cause of the art and the fights were totally baller and then the exact moment it turned AWFUL was in the same span of time they revived Hawk and gave him a fucking DBZ scouter. I am almost positive this was chapter 100.

I dunno, I actually have always liked the series mostly because I really like all the Sins. They are fun characters in their own ways for one reason or another, and I loved how ridiculously OP they are in a lot of fights. My favorite thing in any fiction is villains getting flustered at not being the baddest dudes in the room anymore. But yeah, that fucking power scouter was terrible and I think it a blessing every time we get a chapter without power ratings.

Escanor is, in fact, the only redeemable quality of the series now, dude is the best. That and I have a soft sport for Merlin literally just being so stupidly brokenly OP that there is no reasonable counter and she does whatever she wants.

yeah Toriko is likely going to end in chapter 400

what would be funny is after WSJ rushed the series they decide not to end it since some new series are not doing the projected numbers lol

One Piece 844

On one hand, this is pretty good.

On the other, we passed this point years ago in Enies Lobby. Whats the difference between declaring war on the World Government and declaring war on Big Mom? Luffy was going to do both of those anyway. Does Sanji really think Luffy has no chance against Big Mom?

Kyuur

One Piece 844

On one hand, this is pretty good.

On the other, we passed this point years ago in Enies Lobby. Whats the difference between declaring war on the World Government and declaring war on Big Mom? Luffy was going to do both of those anyway. Does Sanji really think Luffy has no chance against Big Mom?

Of course he thinks they can beat Big Mom. He can't figure out a way of not losing his hands / Zeff in the process. It's more akin to the Arlong arc than anything, but this time it can't be solved by Luffy just kicking the big bad's ass.

yeah Toriko is likely going to end in chapter 400

what would be funny is after WSJ rushed the series they decide not to end it since some new series are not doing the projected numbers lol

I doubt it I imagine if anything they'll just throw more new series at the wall to find more promised neverlands.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What fan request you were talking about?

The cover with Sugar making grape jam with a pack of wolves.
The last several chapters (not including color pages) have been Oda drawing fan requests. Probably to hold off until he prepares the next cover story.

Lexxism

The cover with Sugar making grape jam with a pack of wolves.
The last several chapters (not including color pages) have been Oda drawing fan requests. Probably to hold off until he prepares the next cover story.
Dammit. I didn't notice those notes at the bottom.

I'm going to be mad if Sawamura doesn't become the ace before the start of the summer tournament. It's pretty much now or never. Please, no bullshit two ace.

God damn right. Miyuki acknowledged him, Furuya is falling apart, and only has really two pitches. It's time.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch454

Such boundless enthusiasm.

Henjo - Hen na Joshi Kousei Amaguri Senko ch18

It's pointless to try and hide at this stage.

upandaway

Hero Academia

Yeah, the writer seems to kind of cloud over how this guy hangs on for the ride. So far he seems pretty weak and useless. I suppose he felt the story needed a class room clown/pervert though...
Mineta's power is good with incapacitating people without hurting them which is perfect for a hero. He matches well with tons of other powers too. I can imagine him passing teamwork exams easily.

What I don't really understand is the invisible girl. I guess her power is so specialized that she just doesn't do what the rest of the class are doing.

Hero Academia

Mineta's power is good with incapacitating people without hurting them which is perfect for a hero. He matches well with tons of other powers too. I can imagine him passing teamwork exams easily.

What I don't really understand is the invisible girl. I guess her power is so specialized that she just doesn't do what the rest of the class are doing.

Invisisble girl is just a gag character who's continued success off screen is either a joke or secret bad guy twist down the road.

Ascheroth

Hero Academia

Some of us in the MHA thread speculated that her power isn't actually invisibility but instead light refraction after the Aoyama chapter (navel lazor guy), where she blinded the attackers.
Which would change everything.

The test wasn't about combat abilities. Mineta's ability to glue things together should be invaluable in a disaster scenario. Using his hair to keep structures from breaking, using his anal bead attack as a rope, immobilizing people that are hurt and so on.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shokugeki no soma 189
lmao, a special type of cloth explosion.

Boku no hero academia 113

Well, i mean, sticking stuff power is definitely powerful in the right hand. Didn't expect Mineta to pass too until i remember he's actually above average in grade and that he grow some balls after the whole getting attacked by the villain.

Vinland Saga 132
Good job on Hilda stopping those rapist. Still, it sad that raping and pillaging is in their culture. I still remember Thorfin just shrug it off when he saw his 'teammates' raping a woman.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 14

KA6MTKd.png

Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Jin must be some kind of esper, because there's definitely no way he could've figured that particular truth out otherwise. Also plz no bully Chloe.

well the future of WSJ will be interesting to say the least :/

I mean they have a fairly strong stable of new series when you add them up (BC, MHA, SnS, PN, WT, the lewd one) along with smaller series that do well enough (KnY, StS, Zumo, Isobee) and of course One Piece. Obviously taste will vary on the various series mentioned above but Jump is in a fairly safe place to meat grinder through new series to find more hits.

I mean they have a fairly strong stable of new series when you add them up (BC, MHA, SnS, PN, WT, the lewd one) along with smaller series that do well enough (KnY, StS, Zumo, Isobee) and of course One Piece. Obviously taste will vary on the various series mentioned above but Jump is in a fairly safe place to meat grinder through new series to find more hits.

BC is ehhh even though I read it is is overly barebone

Soma feels like it is declining

WT is nice but not ground breaking

so is MHA

it seems maybe for me at least there isn't that many new ground breaking Shonen series

it seems my future will be with less manga except following a certain few, primarily some top gold tier Sienen... I am fine with it seeing as I'll be more and more busy with my life moving on

mdubs

Banned
There's also Haikyuu, and for some stupid reason, we don't get in English.

FWIW I don't think that them being a couple hundred chapters behind is a stupid reason. They're already running the chapters for free on their site, so I assume they'll add it once it catches up.

That said, I would welcome them adding it immediately

BC is ehhh even though I read it is is overly barebone

Soma feels like it is declining

WT is nice but not ground breaking

so is MHA

it seems maybe for me at least there isn't that many new ground breaking Shonen series

it seems my future will be with less manga except following a certain few, primarily some top gold tier Sienen... I am fine with it seeing as I'll be more and more busy with my life moving on

There is a reason I qualified my post with taste will very. Looking for shonen series to constantly break new ground doesn't seem that realistic and an argument could easily be made that all of the current successful SJ series do break new ground in one format or the other but that's not important to how much anyone enjoys them.

There's also Haikyuu, and for some stupid reason, we don't get in English.

Yeah that belongs in the first category of successful hits I always forget it since I don't read it :X US Jump needs to stop derping around and include it.

FWIW I don't think that them being a couple hundred chapters behind is a stupid reason. They're already running the chapters for free on their site, so I assume they'll add it once it catches up.

That said, I would welcome them adding it immediately

It really makes no sense not to add it to their digital manga they already have the rights and dozens of chapters available just announce "hey its coming and for 2 weeks the whole series is free to catch up".

bobohoro

Attack On Titan Latest

Started it some time ago, paused for a few months and read the last 20 chapters in one go. Started off interesting and disturbing, went into a lull about 40 chapters in where it stalled for time and came out really strong afterwards, with revelations that made sense for the most part and looped back nicely. Background story is sound and the potential for future conflict is pretty great.

Shame a few of the more interesting characters have been killed off, as well as some really outliving their usefulness in the last arc. The basement chapter itself also lacked a bit of tension, although I can see how people following the manga for years would have been more than ok with it transitioning quickly into the big twist.

Overall I'm quite pleased with it, it's gorey, twisty and has something original in terms of art and setup. The only thing a bit lacking are the characters. Sure, some are cool, some badass and many pretty messed up, but they aren't quite charismatic, endearing or really relatable, which lessens the dramatic impact. But I guess that's down to the setting and insanity of them all, so I'm not quite sure it would be fitting otherwise.

Revo

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 40

Fujiwara deserves this wholeheartedly.
And Ishigami continues to be best.

I find it weird when people are looking for the "next big earth-shattering Shonen series!" when the past ones they're referencing are Naruto and Bleach. Maybe in popularity sure, but there were better manga running alongside them during their entire runs. I'm pretty happy with a lot of the shonen offerings today.

Kaguya Wants Ta Bone 40

Yo Fujiwara taking that L and from Ishigami of all people. Take that, suckah. Your machinations are at an end!

Marunase Shiiton Gakuen 14

I always feel weird when anime/manga/people/whatever go "Well it's not like we care what you say your gender is" and then repeatedly misgender them or say "Call yourself what you want...but you're still female" It always reeked of back-handed unacceptance like "Sure, freak, I'll call you that"

Speaking of good announcements, Seven Seas has licenced My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness.

Yaaaaaaassssssssssssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom