• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

Banned
It really makes no sense not to add it to their digital manga they already have the rights and dozens of chapters available just announce "hey its coming and for 2 weeks the whole series is free to catch up".

They have to translate the entire thing though. They're likely working through it as fast as they can

dani_dc

Usagi Drop 32

I didn't care for the time skip, but this flashback is completely useless, we already have a good idea of what happened during middle school, there's no point to go and show us in detail.

dani_dc

Usagi Drop 54-55

The father complex for Daikichi wasn't odd, but the story suddenly pushing for it as a possibility (just because they're not related after all, as if that was the issue) and Daikichi telling her to wait two years is an awful direction to take.

I was expecting him to tell her that he was still her dad, not to feed into her unhealthy delusions.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Usagi Drop 54-55

The father complex for Daikichi wasn't odd, but the story suddenly pushing for it as a possibility (just because they're not related after all, as if that was the issue) and Daikichi telling her to wait two years is an awful direction to take.

I was expecting him to tell her that he was still her dad, not to feed into her unhealthy delusions.

I know? Isn't it great! One of the weirdest turns I've ever seen in a manga and it almost retroactively ruins this really cute series for me if it wasn't such a ridiculous a turn to take.

shokugeki no soma 189

Yeah, Soma's got this. After everything that happened, he had to win this anyway.

But more importantly, I want that suit that Nakiri has. I mean not only did it explode off his body, but its back together in the next panel, only to come off again later.

dani_dc

Usagi Drop

CDnDNF7.jpg
At the age of 30 Daikichi finds himself forced to adopt a young child of a mere 6 years old, Rin, left behind by his grandfather death.

The story follows the growth of both characters, but mostly that of Daikichi and how he has to how to adapt his life to the fact that he was now a parent.
We see his social life changing, unable to meet with his coworkers after work, he finds himself seeing his social cycle replaced by other parents (such as the mother of Kouki, Rin's best friend, with whom he gets romantically interested), and through all of this he grows as a person.

Half way through the series there's a timeskip, and the story focused on Rin and Kouki teenager years, to be honest this is when the series becomes a lot less interesting, this is hardly an unusual subject in manga/anime, and even though there are still some interesting themes regarding the lack of two parents (such as Kouki mother complex), a lot of the time is spent on regular teenagers drama that you could find in any other mangas.

Towards the end there's a reveal of Rin having a father complex for Daikichi, which is understandable considering their relationship. But then we get the twist that Rin and Daikichi are unrelated (this never gets explained), and somehow this lead Daikichi to accept Rin feelings and the series ends with them being engaged and talking about having babies together.

??????? said:
This happens despite the fact that them not being blood-related is completely irrelevant, he raised her as a father for over 10 years, she barely remembers a life before him. This is essentially Daikichi dating his own daughter.

There were never any hints of Daikichi having romantic feelings for Rin, we always see him referring to her as his daughter, so not only is the ending disgusting, it's not even built up in any way and comes off as completely out of character. The ending has absolutely no redeeming qualities, outside of seeing other people react to it.

I could not even bring myself to read any of the "extra stories" that involved Rin as a child. I only managed to read the last extra chapter that takes place after the ending, only to find out that everyone seems to have just naturally accepted Daikichi being engaged with Rin.

The fact that the ending tries to normalize grooming makes this one of the most disgusting manga I've read.

????????????????????????? said:

What started as a cute series about someone learning to become an adult, somehow ends up as a grooming story.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
For the sake of discussion, I did actually really like the teenage bits. I think there is an appeal in watching child characters grow up and eventually deal with more adult problems. That's part of the reason I really like Pun Pun, and I do think just the fact we saw them as kids does give the teenage bits a serious edge. Also I feel like calling it "grooming" gives it a lot more credit and forethought to, what I still consider, a really bizarre end. After the other kid's big arc which feels like it should be the end, this shit comes up and, I don't know about you, but it feels so out of nowhere I almost feel like it has to be a joke or at least a "fuck you" for reading?

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 15

vap1EBH.png

That explains everything. Or at least it would if it were actually true. I think adding 'don't talk to anyone about anything because they may be the princess in disguise' to the survival guide might be overkill.

Yuzumori-san 9

It's very nice that you're friends with Mimika. Very nice. Very. Nice. On this day, war was declared. Only 1 can survive, and until the title gets changed to 'Shiori-san' I know who I'm betting on.

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 4

TALHxTJ.png

She's saving your life every chapter, you should probably be more grateful dude. Especially if you're facing death by tentacles of the non-sexy variety. I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.

bobohoro

Picking up both of these

Seconded. Held off on Dungeon Meshi until now and will probably start the series with the official volumes then. Same for My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, which seems really interesting from the impressions in this thread.

Tomo-chan 455

Jun with the casual sexual harassment. This will stay akward for quite some time.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch455

So he's a molester as well.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch15

She has all the makings to become one at least.

On the bright side, there was only one casualty this time.

Drifters ch62

Thus began the battle. Good thing some of them are pretty enthusiastic about it.

Nyoroko's Live Broadcasting! ch3

Well then, they've sure made an interesting acquaintance.

dani_dc

For the sake of discussion, I did actually really like the teenage bits. I think there is an appeal in watching child characters grow up and eventually deal with more adult problems. That's part of the reason I really like Pun Pun, and I do think just the fact we saw them as kids does give the teenage bits a serious edge. Also I feel like calling it "grooming" gives it a lot more credit and forethought to, what I still consider, a really bizarre end. After the other kid's big arc which feels like it should be the end, this shit comes up and, I don't know about you, but it feels so out of nowhere I almost feel like it has to be a joke or at least a "fuck you" for reading?

The teenage years weren't too bad, but to me this manga, up to that point, wasn't about Rin, but really about Daikichi, unlike Punpun where it was always about him. It was an odd change of pacing.

It did come out of nowhere, but it makes their entire relationship toxic in hindsight. Daikichi accepting to date Rin puts his entire relationship with Rin in a very bad light.

Or that she suffered from a father complex and was using the series for her own wish fufillment.

I'm tempted to go with this as well, considering this is a Shojo I'm not sure the author was really catering to anyone but herself.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Usagi Drop

At the age of 30 Daikichi finds himself forced to adopt a young child of a mere 6 years old, Rin, left behind by his grandfather death.

Now you know our PAIN!
Honestly, Usagi Drop ending is one good example on how to ruin a series. The story post timeskip is already weak, but then author just had to ruin it!

Kaguya wants to be confessed to 40

Oh yeah, my boy Ishigami dishing out fighting words againts Fujiwara.
Also, i'm sure by the time the festival come, Kaguya and Miyuki will work together to get Ishigami out of the way...

Oh boy! Usagi Drop reactions! This is fun. I remember reading it and basically pretending the end didn't exist all those years ago.

Tomo-chan 455

Alright Jun, you're starting to piss me off. You've shown in a number of chapters that you're not THAT fucking obtuse and are purposefully lying to yourself and keeping yourself in a situation you know isn't real anymore and your big solution to all this is 'IF I IGNORE IT AND PRETEND SHE'S A GUY THEN EVERYTHING IS PERFECTLY FINE' so that you're THAT fucking stupid to try and remove her fucking hoodie? What did you fucking think would happen you stupid git? She has breasts did you think they stopped existing because you wanted it hard enough? FUCK

Also something something Carol something something fluffernutter sandwich,

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 4

This manga is way more violent than I thought it would be like...after the first chapter. Not complaining, I've read Drifting Classroom, but still seeing bad shit happen to kids this starkly is unusual nowadays. I do like the atmosphere a lot though, I think it gets horror right when a lot of manga nowadays don't really get how to be disturbing or creepy, just violent or gross. Even if this manga can get violent and gross too. Hayakawa glitching out is a new wrinkle.

Also Class Pres living this long is super surprising since she's a total bitch and keeps getting them into trouble. This chapter in particular was cool because it was almost like an SCP entry where folklore had ties to something that was actually supernatural or freaky and oh god they're getting their guys ripped out through their asses oh jesus

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 15

That's correct (low voice).

Gintama 610

Man, talk about blowing your Chekov's Gun you introduced to the manga 500 chapters ago. Damn you Gorilla-sensei.

Ene no Shoubatai 48

Checked in to see if this is still trash and yep, it's still trash. Annoying. I like this dudes art a lot but after he dropped the ball with Soul Eater this manga has been legitimately turrible.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
uwakoi END

BOIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Lmaoooooooooooo

Holy shit my sides are in orbit. Loooooooooool.

Everyone get on this shit

Okay, let's give this a shot

Uwakoi 1
Why are the main character named after future diary character? Okay... this is kinda lewd

dani_dc

Now you know our PAIN!
Honestly, Usagi Drop ending is one good example on how to ruin a series. The story post timeskip is already weak, but then author just had to ruin it!

Oh boy! Usagi Drop reactions! This is fun. I remember reading it and basically pretending the end didn't exist all those years ago.

I'm usually not a believer of the "It was so bad it retroactively ruined the rest of the series/franchise" line of thought, but Usagi Drop ending actually managed to accomplish that.

Gintama 610

Well hopefully they are revived after this battle with their memories intact

World Trigger 163

The only thing I am worrying about for the next match isn't their strength but the fact that MR Horn may think he has to do everything by himself and would destroy the teams teamwork

bobohoro

I read final chapter and lewd, so might as well...

Uwakoi 1

Destructive personality? Well. Can't see how this ends up being a comedy that will kill you with laughters, but I'm gonna have a closer look.

I think I was mislead. The only way this can end with me laughing is a nice boat ending.
The art isn't all that great either.

Wait, this might actually get fun.

Oh my. If they just played it for indecisiveness I would be annoyed, but this is straight up honest cheating, lying and sociopathic love triangulating.
And all three are mentally broken it seems.
Great.

All this Uwakoi stuff made me check it out and realize that I had scrubbed it from my mind like, years ago when I first dropped it.

MC makes dude from School Days look like an upstanding citizen

dani_dc

Idol Ace

What's this? A manga by Adachi that's about an idol rather than a kid wanting to play baseball?

I have to check this!

Xm2YPpf.png

I should had seen this coming.

It's about an idol that switches places with her male friend (which looks exactly like her) so she can play Baseball.

I suppose at least it's not following the same plot line as Touch.

Lain

Never been a Oh My Goddess fan, didn't even read it apart from the various parodies, but this upcoming (haha) figure is pretty hot.
2eec.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom