• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished Welcome to the ballroom volume one and holy shit...I'm in love with a new manga. That ART! Gourgeous!

I also really like the characters. I love em all so far. Hoping it stays that way.

mdubs

Banned
I just finished Welcome to the ballroom volume one and holy shit...I'm in love with a new manga. That ART! Gourgeous!

I also really like the characters. I love em all so far. Hoping it stays that way.

Yay! It gets a lot better - the art is fantastic in the later going.

Also my quote is on the back of the book :3

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Basara

I enjoyed the premise of the hero and villain falling in love with each other unintentionally (if there's anything else good with this type of plot, pls rec it to me), although the romance development was pretty meh. He fell for her for having somewhat of a backbone, and she basically fell for him cos he sexually harassed her, lol. Well, I guess I can't really expect much better from a manga from the 90s. Also there was absolutely no reason for Tatara's group to accept Asagi at all since he did all that shit in the Blue King's territory, among other things. He got off pretty much scot-free for all of it. Meanwhile Ageha got constantly shit on in this manga, it's ridiculous. None the less, it was good enough to keep me reading for all 27 volumes, and enough for me to check out what else this author wrote, of which the most notable was...

7 Seeds

One of the best manga I've read, I regret putting it off for years since I'm pretty sure someone here recced it to me when I was still a junior or something (I think it was flutterpuff or something? idk I haven't seen him around for a while). Made me cry at least twice. The fucking dogs, man. ;-;

Reading these back to back made me realize that the author's pretty hesitant on killing off major characters even though they're in situations where they logically should die, and that she's fond of these weird ass love triangles that go nowhere.

Obaa-chan to Game 1-2
A cutely drawn manga depicting a gamer girl and her grandma who frequently visits her.
s1sEd.jpg
It also features broken innocence.

Nejimaki Kagyu Vol 4 - Vol 5
mW0MEMf.png
Hard to not like her design.
Lol, that sisters rival tease only to end up with not only one but two rivals for Kagyuu to fight for with her buds. Interesting way, I guess, to start off this new training up arc. I also dig Marble and the student council designs but cant help but feel the introduction of the student council members being rushed. And as always, the author sure as hell knows how to make use of those expression close up panels, especially the final panel with Yoh, hoo boy.

City 1
Hmm, this seems to have a possible plotline, it starts off with a bird stuck and turned to stone and then we're introduced to a city and its people. It feels toned down in terms of gags in comparison to Nichijou. The characters so far is a debt ridden Nagumo, an old man with cameras watching and settings traps on a teen baker, and seemingly a normal few others including a baker, a policeman and a trader. I also liked the smooth transition from one character introduction to another. Art looks nice and its very detailed thanks to really nice shading and inking of the backgrounds.

Kvik

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro #12

A rather tragic tale of a corporate slave who lost everything after inadvertently becomes a molester, ultimately finding salvation in watching joushikousei frolicking about.

elyetis

I honestly prefer H2 to Cross Game despite really liking both. I still need to read the other series like Touch though.
H2 is probably the one I liked the least from the Adachi's I've read, but to be fair I only read that one once probably because I didn't like the ending, maybe today my opinion would be quite different.

Top 3 in no particular order would be Touch, Cross game, Katsu.

Q and A is nice but didn't catch me that much probably because it's pretty short.
IdolA is really nice... but only 1 volume.
Mix could end up really good, but it still need time, I could see that one being another ~20+ volume.

Nejimaki Kagyu Vol 4 - Vol 5

Lol, that sisters rival tease only to end up with not only one but two rivals for Kagyuu to fight for with her buds. Interesting way, I guess, to start off this new training up arc. I also dig Marble and the student council designs but cant help but feel the introduction of the student council members being rushed. And as always, the author sure as hell knows how to make use of those expression close up panels, especially the final panel with Yoh, hoo boy.

Can I just say that I fucking love this manga?

Usobuko

Banned
I'm at the latest raw, Kengan Ashura is better than Baki at illustrating over-the-top fights and hyping the contestants, I will give it that.

I'm at the latest raw, Kengan Ashura is better than Baki at illustrating over-the-top fights and hyping the contestants, I will give it that.

It also really likes introducing someone only to get them wrecked in like, one hit, so I'm fully expecting half the dudes in the tournament to lose in like a panel. I'm told that doesn't happen in the RAWs tho, so who knows?

Grand Blue 14

This manga slays me. I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard at a manga.

Usobuko

Banned
It also really likes introducing someone only to get them wrecked in like, one hit, so I'm fully expecting half the dudes in the tournament to lose in like a panel. I'm told that doesn't happen in the RAWs tho, so who knows?

It's a 32 contestant tournaments.

There are people who are indeed out-classed badly in the first rounds but by the second rounds, the gap between the remaining fighters shrinks. This manga is also kinda unconventional sometimes, nothing is written in the stars for the fate of the fighters.

Fairy Tail 508
Huh, why am I not surprised.

Ooooh City has been released already? that's great!
I wonder how the last chapter of Nichijou was... i'll miss those characters ;__;

It was a gag of believing in the principal's new hair unless you meant the finale chapter and yeah, they were pretty great. I can only hope we get another anime from all the other unused chapters.
Its never going to happen :C

Can I just say that I fucking love this manga?

Sure, its pretty dang great.

I'm a stick in the mud at this point, but it's very easy to not like her design.

For curiosity's sake, can I ask why?

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 508

Well, you know. The worst thing is, I'm not surprised. At all.

Oh and regarding Uwako...nah, let's just forget that I ever read that.

pbayne

Riki-oh 22

Haha wtf is even real any more. There's so much shit that happens in this manga "just because". A dude gets his stomach cut open to reveal he's been secretly hiding gold bars in it for 20 years. Why? Fuck don't ask me it has nothing to do with the plot at all.

And apparently Rikioh and his brother are now manifestations of theist liberals vs atheist communists which is somehow tied to a nuclear explosion at a reactor that a prison warden owns? But first Rikioh has to fight the terminator.

dramatis

For curiosity's sake, can I ask why?
What is likeable about that design?

The absurdly short miniskirt paired with thigh-high stockings to make the same old "absolute territory"?

The crop top to ensure more skin is exposed on the extremely tiny waist bent ridiculously?

The usual "huge boobs on thin girl" staple of fanservice design?

I remember there was once a post from somebody who was like "WOW check out this awesome female character!!!!" and then he posted a spread of a girl riding a tiger...in a bikini.

I really shouldn't be surprised that there has to be an explanation for why the design you posted may be unlikable, but I am.

World Trigger

Odd that Yuzuru feels that way but I didnt think his team would have doubts about making it. They are kind of powerful.

Food Wars

Why make us wait another weak, this is painful. Though I wanted this arc to last longer because SoKuga has been really awesome this whole arc.

Forgot to post my impressions from last week cause Promised Neverland blew my mind but we back

Viz Jump Impressions 10/31

Black Clover 84

Well that was quick to get Asta's arms healed, but at least there seems to be a catch where the witch queen will be an antagonist to Asta and co later down the line.

One Piece 844

Goda.jpg

Love Rush 11

Rushed cancelation ending is in full effect

My Hero Academia 113

Glad to see Todoroki got punished for his stupidity. Guess he'll have a Killua moment on the next test where he tag team wrecks face with tornado guy. Orca was a boss hope he comes back again soon.

World Trigger 163

Everyone has a crush on Amatori was basically all I got out of this chapter, we need to hurry up and get to the next squad battle and the away trip.

Toriko 393

So Aracia was a good guy possessed by Neo afterall, not much more to say but this payoff loses impact due to the rushed nature of this finale.

Food Wars/Shokugeki no Soma 189

I like how disrobing and exploding clothing is a canonical thing in universe and not just audience conveinence. Safe bet is Soma wins since he has to or otherwise will get expelled unless shenanigans happens.

Spring Weapon no 01 3

Ehh the joke is already getting old to me won't lose sleep if Viz skips it

Red Sprite 10

Seems like the series is trying to survive with the introduction of the loli queen but I dunno how effective it'll be. Unlike Love Rush this doesn't seem like its rushing to conclusion.

The Promised Neverland 13

Appreciated the explanation of the hints along the way and the master class 4d chess being played by Norman, Ray, and Mom. Mangaka did a great job showing evil Ray faces this chapter.

One Punch Man 62.2

Zzzzz

Rwby 1

Art is okay but this feels like a tie in manga that assumes the audience is familar with this world and characters already. It was hard to tell the girls apart and the pointless action to start was pretty but pointless. Maybe I'll have to give RWBY another chance sometime soon.

No comment about Amalgam of Distortion but I suppose they could announce it next week like they did with Love Rush.

Promised Neverland

Its the best when its not focused on Emma and focused on Norman and Ray. I was turned off by the spy thing at first because Ray seemed to good, but this chapter makes it work. Im glad Norman has some trust in him as a family/and very close friend. And I figure Ray seems to want to escape too.

It's a 32 contestant tournaments.

There are people who are indeed out-classed badly in the first rounds but by the second rounds, the gap between the remaining fighters shrinks. This manga is also kinda unconventional sometimes, nothing is written in the stars for the fate of the fighters.

Yeah, the manga has a really surprising amount of breaking from how you thought things would go or normal manga tropes. For a fighto manga that is exceedingly rare.

I dropped Fairy Tail a long time ago, but I got curious and read the chapter. Oh boy...
This wasn't even subtle. Oh, and he just told us who's a virgin and who's not.

I'm dying from reading this chapter. Also rip all of Team Natsu except maybe Gray and Juvia since they were knocked out. Mashima is such a troll. The fandom is gonna go ballistic with their shipping and who slept with who lmao.

Cana not being affected was the biggest surprise tbh lol.

I dunno about Rahkeid being Zeref's son though. Might be something he just says to make himself feel important.

mdubs

Banned
I'm predicting that Amalgam will be joining in a couple weeks. Probably waiting for the certain Love Rush cancellation before adding it in.

Edit:

Happy Halloween from Horikoshi!

CwHOJP_VMAQ9for.jpg:large

DTL lives! Long live DTL!

Toki Doki (one-shot)
A breathtaking follow-up to Nisekoi starring the son of Shuu x Ruri and the daughter of Tsugumi x
_________
. Watch in amazement as they overcome their heritage, their traumas and armies of yakuza, all for the sake of being reunited with the person closest to their heart. An emotional roller-coaster of love, betrayal and corruption wrapped up in that trademark Komi magic.

N.B - The above description may bear no resemblance to the contents of the depicted manga.

Burbeting

Banned
Fairy Tail 508

I shouldn't be surprised but I am Mashima went THAT far. The whole chapter was basically "orgasm magic, lol". The series has always been really sleazy, but it is still targeted at boys aged 7-15, right? Might actually stop reading this altogether now.

upandaway

Promised Neverland 13

Figured he really is playing both sides, it makes the most sense and it's something everyone would try in his position. It's surprising that he was the one who made them discover the truth though, wouldn't have guessed that.

We knew Norman's gonna try and reform Ray because of his question to Emma but it didn't really go as smoothly as I'd like, Ray was calm the whole time. Not sure if this will work.

Norman's got enough death flags to build a castle out of them but I'm having second thoughts just because of how dependent everyone else are on him

DTL lives! Long live DTL!

Toki Doki (one-shot)

A breathtaking follow-up to Nisekoi starring the son of Shuu x Ruri and the daughter of Tsugumi x
_________
. Watch in amazement as they overcome their heritage, their traumas and armies of yakuza, all for the sake of being reunited with the person closest to their heart. An emotional roller-coaster of love, betrayal and corruption wrapped up in that trademark Komi magic.

N.B - The above description may bear no resemblance to the contents of the depicted manga.
Oh fuck off Komi

World Trigger 163

I can enjoy these slice-of-life chapters every now and then, as a welcome change from rank wars again and again. I wonder if Izuho will end up being the sniper replacement for Akane, and increase her relevance. Still, Yuma with that declaration at the end, things are gonna get pretty heated.

With the newest chapters Love Rush is 100% certain being axed, while Red Sprite...maybe they will give it a little extra time with Toriko leaving probably within 3/4 chapters or we will see a dramatic shift to an axing within the next two issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom