• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
With the newest chapters Love Rush is 100% certain being axed, while Red Sprite...maybe they will give it a little extra time with Toriko leaving probably within 3/4 chapters or we will see a dramatic shift to an axing within the next two issues.

That's a neat idea about Red Sprite. Can potentially see it happening, but I doubt it. Red Sprite is good, but it lacks a certain flare and zaniness. The story and the characters lack a bit of personality.

Ascheroth

Saike Mata Shite mo (up to chapter 42)

Saike is an unambitious middle schooler with no dreams in life. One day his childhood friend gets run over by a truck. Overcome with sadness and regrets he eventually cries out to god and accidentally falls into a pond and drowns... only to wake up in his bed again and it turns out the accident hasn't happened yet.
Soon he realizes that he gained the power 'to return to the morning of the current day after drowning in that pond' and decides to use that power to help others.
Of course other people with strange powers start showing up as well and battles ensue.
And needless to say, Saikes power makes him walk a fine line between determination and insanity.
0kpVqBB.jpg
Battles are rarely brute force and mostly about 'how can I use my extremely limited power in the most effective/creative ways while finding out what extremely limited power my opponent has'.
Examples of powers include:
- turning things into styropor
- turning matter into hamsters that can shoot sunflower seeds like snipers
- dream social network
- a body that works like a Matryoshka puppet
- and more

On a scale from JoJo to Bleach, I'd say powers and how they're used are about here:
JoJo -----x-----|----------Bleach

It's a fun read.

StayDead

Ok, so I come in here for the first time to ask for some recommendations for something new to read on the train if you wouldn't mind please! I read manga in volume format rather than chapter by chapter due to the way I like to sit and read.

I've now caught up volume wise with and or/have finished and loved:

Kami nomi (TWOGK)
Shokugeki no Souma
Mob Psycho 100
Gakkou Gurashi
Highschool of the Dead (RIP :()
To LoveRu Darkness
Prison School
Umaru (I think I caught up?)

Any other suggestions for things I should pick up? I like manga such as the above, but I'm open to different suggestions. Preferrably not something that's been ongoing for 20 years as I'll never have the drive to catch up to it. Thanks for the time taken to read the post and if anyone has any suggestions I'll be very grateful. I've noticed now I'm starting to commute reading things has become a little bit easier as I actually sit down and concentrate on something.

Wiseblade

One Piece 844

As strong as it was when I read it on Wednesday.

Love Rush 11

This is SUPER dead. This is speeding to a premature ending faster than I expected. I thought it would at least make it to 16-17 chapters. Isn't that the Sueisha DOA threshold?

My Hero Academia 113

I'm relieved at least one UA student didn’t pass, and it was totally justified.

World Trigger 163

Throwing a match? What gets me is how accepting his teammates seem to be of the whole affair. So very un-shonen.

Food Wars

Disrobing has reached new levels of ridiculousness. I fully expect the final battle with Azami to trigger a School-wide Disrobe.

Soma's got this in the bag. Either that or some judging shenanigans are about to take place like with the unofficial duel with shinomiya.

Spring Weapon no 01 3

I'm calling it: this is not long for the world.

Red Sprite 10

I still have no attachment to this one. I seems to be dodging the guillotine so far, but the premise means it's never far from a premature ending.

The Promised Neverland 13

Schemes on schemes on schemes. I want to say I was always suspicious of Ray, but the author did just enough to quell my thoughts before throwing it all back at me.

Norman is proving himself once again to be the star of the show, constantly working behind the scenes to fulfill Emma's whims. He's up to his eyeballs in death flags without a care in the world.

One Punch Man 62.2

Murata the bes

Saitama-less chapters tend to drag though.

Rwby 1

SO THERE'S THIS SHOW CALLED RWBY

I HEAR IT'S PRETTY POPULAR

HERE'S THIS MANGA THAT IS TANGENTIALLY RELATED

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE

Ok, so I come in here for the first time to ask for some recommendations for something new to read on the train if you wouldn't mind please! I read manga in volume format rather than chapter by chapter due to the way I like to sit and read.

Kami nomi (TWOGK)
Shokugeki no Souma
Mob Psycho 100
Gakkou Gurashi
To LoveRu Darkness
Prison School

Any other suggestions for things I should pick up? I like manga such as the above, but I'm open to different suggestions. Preferrably not something that's been ongoing for 20 years as I'll never have the drive to catch up to it. Thanks for the time taken to read the post and if anyone has any suggestions I'll be very grateful. I've noticed now I'm starting to commute reading things has become a little bit easier as I actually sit down and concentrate on something.

Black Lagoon
Keijo
The Ancient Magus Bride
Noragami
Helck
Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!

Zweizer

Banned

Kami nomi (TWOGK)
Shokugeki no Souma
Mob Psycho 100
Gakkou Gurashi
To LoveRu Darkness
Prison School

Dungeon Meshi, Keijo and Jitsu wa Watashi wa are good solid works.

If you want to try something a little bit more different, I'd suggest Goodnight Punpun, Ressentiment and Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki. The last one just got completely translated recently.

Basara

I enjoyed the premise of the hero and villain falling in love with each other unintentionally (if there's anything else good with this type of plot, pls rec it to me), although the romance development was pretty meh. He fell for her for having somewhat of a backbone, and she basically fell for him cos he sexually harassed her, lol. Well, I guess I can't really expect much better from a manga from the 90s. Also there was absolutely no reason for Tatara's group to accept Asagi at all since he did all that shit in the Blue King's territory, among other things. He got off pretty much scot-free for all of it. Meanwhile Ageha got constantly shit on in this manga, it's ridiculous. None the less, it was good enough to keep me reading for all 27 volumes, and enough for me to check out what else this author wrote, of which the most notable was...

7 Seeds

One of the best manga I've read, I regret putting it off for years since I'm pretty sure someone here recced it to me when I was still a junior or something (I think it was flutterpuff or something? idk I haven't seen him around for a while). Made me cry at least twice. The fucking dogs, man. ;-;

Reading these back to back made me realize that the author's pretty hesitant on killing off major characters even though they're in situations where they logically should die, and that she's fond of these weird ass love triangles that go nowhere.

2 great mangas. Lmfao I totally agree with you on how BS it was that Asagi got off with little remorse and 0 karmic punishment. I looooooove 7 Seeds but I wish it was updated a bit more

-----------------

Bastard (webcomic)

I dont know if anyone here reads this, but I just started and caught up to this story this morning with about 73 chapters. The art style and moody color pallet work so well with this tense cat and mouse game featuring a high school student vs his serial killer for a father. One thing that I think is interesting is that in other psycho thriller stories the main character tends to be somewhat of a master planner but this main character is a dweeby schoolboy. It makes it that much more scary when the protagonist challenges his mentally and physically superior father.

dumbyugi

Kami nomi (TWOGK)
Shokugeki no Souma
Mob Psycho 100
Gakkou Gurashi
To LoveRu Darkness
Prison School

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
Keijo!!!!!!!!
B-gata H-kei
Oku-sama ga Seito Kaichou!
One Punch-Man
Me & the Devil Blues
Midori Days
Yotsuba&
Black Cat

Promised Neverland

I had a feeling he wasn't truly evil

but maybe he just wants entertainment then actually really caring for them

Kingdom

I have a feeling taking this risk will mean we might actually see one of the top rookies kick the bucket

Toriko

Okay everything makes sense after reading the better translation

goodness

Verelios

Kami nomi (TWOGK)
Shokugeki no Souma
Mob Psycho 100
Gakkou Gurashi
To LoveRu Darkness
Prison School

Eyeshield 21
Mx0
Angel Dentetsu
Magister Magi Negima (lol)
Eyeshield 21
Shaman King
Real!
Yotsubato
Eyeshield 21

The Ancient Magus Bride Vol 5

bSthFnK.jpg

The conclusion of the Leanan Shide story was touching and sad.

The story after that was very interesting showing the fairie kingdom and its inhabitants. The doctor backstory and the treatment used to heal Chise were pretty good.

Loved the Silky story explaining her origins. Silky <3.

The final chapter showing the arrival of winter had a "old god" with a very spooky and creepy design. Also dat kiss <3.

Great stuff, heartwarming volume. The magical creatures designs are always top notch and dat art <3.

Kami nomi (TWOGK)
Shokugeki no Souma
Mob Psycho 100
Gakkou Gurashi
To LoveRu Darkness
Prison School

My Hero Academia is great. I'll also say One Piece read in volumes is an amazing experience, but it's a super long series (Running about 19 years now) and still ongoing so I can understand if you don't want to invest the time

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido 1
Teenager who loves the eighties meets another kindred soul as his female classmate who's usually super quiet.

Someting blossoms between them. Is this interest ? Love ? Time will tell.

Will keep reading because of the really clean drawings, the eighties theme (everyone loves the 80s !) and the main waifu's Farrah Fawcet hairstyle.

StayDead

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I'm actually going to start with Okusama ga Seitokaichou. I actually saw the previews for the anime and thought it looked up my ally so think it could be a good fit. Another one is Keijo, but I'm watching and enjoying the anime for that right now, so I'll finish watching it first then re-read the manga to see if there's any difference.

If there's any more suggestions I'm happy to hear!

This week of WSJ was great like always, aside form like 2 series.

RWBY 1

The art started great but then went blend and IDK but this felt really empty!

Love rush

Love rush really does nothing for me. Characters are blend, the story is very meh. BUT the artstyle is decent.

Red Sprite 10

So yea...I really really love this! That battle YO! Tatsu is such a badass! Love the art! The comedy also felt just right for me. Also the way the story is going right now, I feel like I can hope that it won't get cancelled too soon. Who knows it might even SURVIVE!

MHA 113

Man I said it in the past and I'll say it again, MHA is really one of the best shonen manga out there. Horikoshi is a god of an artist and his story telling really hits home for me. 10/10 Gang Orca is cool as fuck!

I liked the rest of the magazine but don't don't have much to say tho. Sad Amalgam wasn't picked up.

Is there a truck epidemic in Japan where trucks are just slaughtering teenagers by the dozens? Seriously, if manga is anything to go by (and I'm pretty sure manga is documentarical in nature) 1 out of 4 high school kids get hit by trucks just after they say something important to a loved one or come to a realization.

new game! 40

Lol at Aoba eating all the alcohol candy. Though she's surprisingly relaxed. Figured she'd be the more hyperactive drunk.
On a side note, I wish I worked at a place where we could all just sat around and ate chocolate and chat
and get tipsy/drunk

Tower of God 301

Holy shit Baam is way too OP.

Tower of God 302

Some of the big players are showing up damn early in this arc

Lets see what he can do given his reputation.

Moaradin

One-Punch Man 62.2

Still bored of these jobber fights. Wish WSJ would release these faster since some of the more recent stuff I've been hearing about sounds pretty interesting.

Shokugeki no Soma 189

soma7vu6m.png

This is so ridiculous. I love it.

Watch this match end up in a tie somehow.

The Promised Neverland 13

I think most people expected it to go in this direction but it's still nice to get an explanation. Still really want to know Ray's motivation, outside of him just trying to secure his own survival.

Basara

I enjoyed the premise of the hero and villain falling in love with each other unintentionally (if there's anything else good with this type of plot, pls rec it to me), although the romance development was pretty meh. He fell for her for having somewhat of a backbone, and she basically fell for him cos he sexually harassed her, lol. Well, I guess I can't really expect much better from a manga from the 90s. Also there was absolutely no reason for Tatara's group to accept Asagi at all since he did all that shit in the Blue King's territory, among other things. He got off pretty much scot-free for all of it. Meanwhile Ageha got constantly shit on in this manga, it's ridiculous. None the less, it was good enough to keep me reading for all 27 volumes, and enough for me to check out what else this author wrote, of which the most notable was...

7 Seeds

One of the best manga I've read, I regret putting it off for years since I'm pretty sure someone here recced it to me when I was still a junior or something (I think it was flutterpuff or something? idk I haven't seen him around for a while). Made me cry at least twice. The fucking dogs, man. ;-;

Reading these back to back made me realize that the author's pretty hesitant on killing off major characters even though they're in situations where they logically should die, and that she's fond of these weird ass love triangles that go nowhere.
Mostly lurking, glad you enjoyed it. Waiting for updates for 7 Seeds is killer though. Still one of the best post apocalyptic mangas.

If you want one, but with a seinen mad Max feel I heartily recommend Desert Punk.

Revo

I'm so behind on Tower of God and Kubera ever since certain...events...prevented me from reading them consistently.

If you're interested in catching up, the official release (at least for tog) has gotten better from when it first started (although there are still a fair amount of mistakes and might not like the names they use). The tog release keeps up to date on the free releases and Kubera is like 2 dozen off from latest raw with the raw being on hiatus atm.

StayDead

new game! 40

Lol at Aoba eating all the alcohol candy. Though she's surprisingly relaxed. Figured she'd be the more hyperactive drunk.
On a side note, I wish I worked at a place where we could all just sat around and ate chocolate and chat
and get tipsy/drunk

Ah thank you for reminding me of something else I wanted to read.

How far ahead is the manga from the now finished anime?

Zansatsu! Ponytail (one-shot)
Horror short from the Chimoguri Ringo author featuring ponytails and wtf. Struck a lot of the right notes for me, so I'll bump his other works up my backlog by a few hundred places. It also prompted me to realise that single ponytails are pretty low tier in hairstyle rankings.

spiritfox

Since making that post, I've polled 100,000 people about their favourite hairstyles. Single ponytails were 43rd between 'mullets' and 'what are you doing in my house?'

I think the conclusions here are obvious.

The conclusion that 100,000 people have bad tastes, yes. Ponytails are the epitome of functional yet fashionable hairdos. Easy to do, yet still stylish. Plus there are many different ways to tie that ponytail, each having their own flair.

I regret starting something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom