• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobohoro

Jun is such a coward, I hope the end of the 4koma is just all three of the girls sexing each other in front of Jun after deciding he's such a loser.

Considering the doujins the author's done, this may not be a longshot.

Agreed.
I mean, reading Uwakoi brought back some perspective on how low a male main character can be, but Jun still is annoying. It's not even necessary for him to be this dumb 450 chapters in, him admitting to it and progressing towards some form of romantic relationship with Tomo wouldn't ruin the manga and would deliver enough material for another 500 chapters, so I really don't get the point.

Youkai Shoujo 81

Was there any hint towards a childhood friend with similar powers before?
Can't remember. If not, this feels kinda forced.
And Kaki man still having more forms is a good thing.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch457

Misuzu understands Tomo far better than Jun can ever hope to.

Prison School ch233

So badass.

I Am a Hero ch239

Looks like the cat's out of the bag.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch19

Don't mess with the General's precious feelings.

My Hero Academia ch114

Looks like they won't have time to rest.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch81

Ah yes, the typical childhood friend turned evil development.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch28

The pope's criticism of the heroes was pretty funny and on-point, I'll give it that.

G.ZZZ

Midora 394

Why is Setsuno still alive? All the gang is dead she should be with Jirou in the other world.
Bah, also Neo is still perfectly fine? It only vomited all he eated? Seriously?

In the end only Jirou's death was shitty i guess. Midora and Ichiryuu went out nicely.

Zonge-god.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail

Smarmy evil Jesus causes all of the non-virgins to orgasm to death.

Fairy Tail as fuck.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch845

I guess there's little doubt that Pudding is a good person at this point.

Let's see how long Luffy can hold against this army.

upandaway

One Piece

I have to wonder if they're gonna bring her along now once this arc is over. I can't really see a solution to the current situation where she stays with her mom. Plus, well, it really is a good pairing.
If the only reason why the marriage was considered "the point of no return" until now was the handcuffs, then that means the marriage is no longer the point of no return. I can see them really getting married now.

Surprised Luffy's endurance run already started, we'll see how long this lasts. I wouldn't be surprised if he really is defeated and moved from there but we'll see.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
My Hero Academia ch. 114

That color page is dope, as was you-know-who being shown again, but the panels of Deku holding back tears while looking at his license were the best. Really dug this chapter.

One Piece ch. 845

Eating food that talks? Yeah, how about no.

Sanji got a decent girl on his hands.

Love rush will end around chapter 17-18 typical instant shit can status

Red Sprite might get a bit more time but I can't see it lasting more then 25ish chapters.

DemWalls

I just realized that I haven't read anything manga since Bleach finished; time to reduce my ever growing backlog a bit, if only for research about some project I'm working on.

Kerberos in the Silver Rain vol. 1

The story may or may not be interesting, too early to tell, but I read this mainly because of the art. Been a fan since Veritas, best "clean style" I can think of.

bobohoro

One Piece 845

Wait, why is everyone assuming Pudding to be good? She was obviously lying to the Straw Hats about Sanji and the marriage, as well as probably lying to Sanji right now. After everything we've seen from Big Mom and her children, she seems to raise only psychotic people of the highly sadistic kind. Pudding might just be playing around with them and plotting something truly sinister.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Random harem member get, I guess. Entire series of chapters was pointless as fuck.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece 845

Wait, why is everyone assuming Pudding to be good? She was obviously lying to the Straw Hats about Sanji and the marriage, as well as probably lying to Sanji right now. After everything we've seen from Big Mom and her children, she seems to raise only psychotic people of the highly sadistic kind. Pudding might just be playing around with them and plotting something truly sinister.

Lola seemed fine.

One Piece 845

Huh. Didn't expect the first "Lets beat up a yonkou arc" to proceed like this, but I am liking where Sanji's character is going

My Hero Academia 114

Wait so lips girl is dead because of the yandere? nooooooooooo

Kyuur

If Sanji does marry this girl and bring her back aboard the Sunny, it'll a good twist on the lecherous nature joke that's been getting sort of old (not to mention Brooke fulfills the same role in many occasions). So it's settled.

Pudding for nakama.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Sanji does marry this girl and bring her back aboard the Sunny, it'll a good twist on the lecherous nature joke that's been getting sort of old (not to mention Brooke fulfills the same role in many occasions). So it's settled.

Pudding for nakama.

It would be an interesting dynamic going forward for sure, especially if that third eye is a devil fruit power.

So it is official that Toriko is ending

man we had one massive trip with that series.... RIP young prince

My Hero Academia 114

Mind blown that she is the blood sucking girl

makes more sense as to why she was interested in Deku

She probably collected the blood so that Mr. Face-Palm would be able to somehow turn it into unlocking All-Mights abilities for himself

Toriko 394

yup series is basically over next week

Midora basically saved the planet too

RIP Toriko.... finished before Gintama

Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records

This seems like some regular LN trash but I feel interested in reading it because the MC is actually entertaining. I expect that to stop pretty quickly but until then I'll keep reading it.

Two girls go to a magic academy wah wah blah blah the MC is a dude who seems like a shlub but is actually talented and just hates magic cause wah wah dark past he teaches the class and whatever.

But the shit he says is just funny and when he walks into the girl's changing room (because of course he does) him going "Nothing I say will convince you this was an accident, and I'll get beaten anyways, SO I SHALL ENGRAVE AS MUCH OF THIS SCENE AS I CAN ON MY EYES" got a chuckle out of me.

Shit got more interesting when he manned up and started to explain how magic worked which was more language based/definition based and as a dude who reads his Wittgenstein it was just curious enough.

Man I've been outta the manga loop for a while now. Just getting back in with

OINSHINBO

I freaking love this. The food is obviously drawn beautifully, but I even like the simple way the characters are drawn. For some reason, the characters' look sorta reminds me of Rumiko Takahashi's simpler drawings.

Aside from this, I ordered the 6th volume of Yotsuba &! (so happy it came back), and the first volume of The Drops of God. What have CLAMP and Yuu Watasei been up to these days?

OINSHINBO

I freaking love this. The food is obviously drawn beautifully, but I even like the simple way the characters are drawn. For some reason, the characters' look sorta reminds me of Rumiko Takahashi's simpler drawings.

Aside from this, I ordered the 6th volume of Yotsuba &! (so happy it came back), and the first volume of The Drops of God. What have CLAMP and Yuu Watasei been up to these days?

Like...3 sequels. xxxHolic: Rei, Tsubasa: Nirai Kanai-hen and CC Sakura: Clear Card.

Honestly, a lot while at the same time not a lot. =/

Now that we know Toriko is ending next week

we can officially conclude that the rushing since the Area 6 arc began was due to WSJ

and likely that is when Mitsutoshi received the news and had to start blitzing through a bunch of stuff and re-organize his series so that it was have some form of conclusion

even so I feel that Mitshitoshi choose that correct choice in cutting all that fat in order to ease its conclusion as much as possible

if he continued to just go on maybe we might of have a half assed ending like Bleach or Beezlebub

Arabesque

we can officially conclude that the rushing since the Area 6 arc began was due to WSJ

I don't think it is the official conclusion, no, because this isn't the first time an author decided to wrap up a story in a hurried* manner

But yes, since the battle skip post 1 millimetre Yuda fight, *something* happened that lead to Shimabukuro torpedoing the pace of the entire series and cutting out everything in between then and the conclusion. Was it Jump or was it himself? We'll figure it out in the future, possibly.

Either way, at least he got a chance to shine after blowing it the first time.

and likely that is when Mitsutoshi received the news and had to start blitzing through a bunch of stuff and re-organize his series so that it was have some form of conclusion

even so I feel that Mitshitoshi choose that correct choice in cutting all that fat in order to ease its conclusion as much as possible

I think this is something that we can say that did officially happened because it was clear that the story was being restructured in a way that made the series reach a logical end point.

As for it being the correct choice, I agree with that. Unless Shimabukuro had planned to each area to be interjected into each other over the course of six months, there would have been no convincing way for what we had seen from the final battle against Neo/Acacia to have been able to unfold in a satisfactory manner.

Say what you will about the pacing, but as break neck as it was, Shimabukuro had put in each chapter as much as he wanted in this final fight. And given that this is the conclusion he was leading to, it was much better than wasting time on the side cast going on their own adventures.

That said, if I had any criticism, the 4 Heavenly Kings own Areas should have been more of a bigger focus to be honest, with Area 6 just ... being off screen.

if he continued to just go on maybe we might of have a half assed ending like Bleach or Beezlebub

I think at this stage, given how Nisekoi, Toriko, and Gintama having been clearly wrapping up in the same time span as Bleach had been, that it's more likely Kubo just fucked it up royally on how he structured his chapters during this year.

It's more telling that "15" is not only a central point of the series throughout, but also made a big deal during the ending, I wouldn't be surprised that Kubo wanted it to end on the 15th anniversary. But of course, we had to fight a giant left arm for 3 months, then move on to fight a mutated flamingo owl to another 3 months, and then fight an undying Titan for ... ever?

Point is, whatever caused the rush to the finale like this, Mitshitoshi did the right (and smart) thing by focusing on Toriko's battle and the end game rather than what lead to it. He was much smarter than Kubo who became far too enamoured with his side cast *cough*Mayuri*cough* that he made his main character looks like a chump in the end.

Toriko at least ended up looking cool through his final battles. Ichigo looked ... well, we all know the "It's over" page.

Nisekoi had the "best pacing" of the 3 rushed to conclusion series only because it was written in a way that it could transition into endgame at anytime.

I wish the 400 chapters of this series had been 100ish chapters in the human world with the rest of the series being in the gourmet world since the series really came into it's own in the gourmet world and it got rushed to ending during that point. The ending has been a bit of a cluster and hard to follow but it is nice to see what was planned as opposed to what Bleach did.

Taruranto

OINSHINBO

Just avoid Modern Clamp altogether.

Arabesque

Nisekoi had the "best pacing" of the 3 rushed to conclusion series only because it was written in a way that it could transition into endgame at anytime.

I feel that contributed a lot to it, but also in that the cast and scope of the world in Nisekoi is also much smaller compared to Toriko. It felt more like a lot of what the focus in Toriko was forced into fewer places than was planned, and a lot of content was crammed in a relatively short amount of time (think 5 years of end game content in a 1 and a half year).

No excuses for Bleach because let's be honest, Bleach pacing had been literal molasses and it's world building had become nonexistent by the final arc,

I wish the 400 chapters of this series had been 100ish chapters in the human world with the rest of the series being in the gourmet world since the series really came into it's own in the gourmet world and it got rushed to ending during that point. The ending has been a bit of a cluster and hard to follow but it is nice to see what was planned as opposed to what Bleach did.

I feel somewhat conflicted on that idea. I feel that he human world saga is the best the series had been at, if only because it felt absurd while remaining grounded somewhat, and I felt that everything in the battle with Midora had been fantastic stuff.

Post time skip and entry into the Gourmet world, and things took a turn. Not for the worse, but the series started feeling like it was trying to constantly up the ante, to be more absurd, be bigger, more grandiose, just a lot more in every aspect. And while some of it was genuinely fun and still interesting to read, it did feel like it just lost focus on what made the human world stuff so enjoyable.

Once the split up happened and the 4 HK and Komatsu went their own ways to get the full course, it felt like the series just went out of focus. What we seen from Area 6 was interesting alright, but part of me now wonders why we were spending that time on, at best, secondary and at worst tertiary characters going to a tournament setting and lead by Komatsu of all people when Coco, Sunny, Zebra and Toriko had been going on faaaaaaaar more interesting journey, some of them completing their own core ingredient of their Full Course.

What we got in the finale was honestly kind of a blur in parts for the past year and a half, but I do think the series kind of got back on track by the end. Or at least knew that it had to come to a certain conclusion and set things up in a way that made sense for everything to end here and now, rather than scattering the narrative for long.

As for Bleach, consider this: Aizen's very final speech is meant to be the moral, the thing that Kubo wants his readers, some of which had been reading his series for the past 15 years, to take from it.

That bravery trumps despair, and courage is a what is most needed in life.

Think back to when this moral was ever brought up or used in the series, outside of the very final chapter, and you will see how little planning Kubo placed in this final arc of his.

Toriko, for as crazy as it had gotten, before and after the rush, had a focus on Toriko's generosity and desire to share meals ever with his bitter enemies.

Well so much of the pre time skip ingridients really could have been gourmet world stuff like early missions into the "easy" area which was still extremely difficult. Would have made the transition through each area less extreme in terms of needing to up the ante like you mentioned.

I wish Toriko had continued on as an anime, it was one of the few I marathoned through then watched weekly without the manga. The music was great, the voice acting was on point with all the high drama, FT Island gave a good song even, and I liked the plot. Meanwhile the manga could be messy to follow and it seemed lack some of the same charm :(

what if I told you guys I literally forgot how Ichigo defeated Yu Haw Bach

I mean it is all jumbled for me and I had to go look at the old chapters to actually remember it again

that is how unspectacular it was

like Arabesque stated... at least by rushing and dropping some arcs in Toriko, Mitsutoshi was able to actually have Toriko (the protagonist) have some impact on the ending

----

Nisekoi was on the other hand more suited to end at anytime since it had less things to cover and wasn't trapped with billions of characters, plots and world building

Wiseblade

Baby Steps (the last 5 chapters)

I don't really have a lot to say other than talking about how this continues to be the best solo sports manga. It's also nice to read a sports manga that doesn't have any of the typical "pretty boys doing well" trappings that have plagued the genre in recent years. Even if a harem is starting to form, at least it super subtle and doesn't come close to distracting from the main plot.

Ray Down

Banned
Toriko Penultimate Canceled Chapter:
This chapter and fight have been terrible
-Toriko complete his full course and does't feel like a big deal (just like how he at God a few chapters ago when he fused with his demon)
-Komatsu and the other kings cement there position of being pointless this entire fight
-Midora sacrifices himself out of the blue and turns to stone.
-I guess Neo is a good guy now.

If the next chapter doesn't end with them at a table eating I'll be disappoint.

Wiseblade

Weird to think that Bleach, Toriko and Kochikame all ended this year. Ignoring One Piece, the three best selling titles are now Haikyuu, My Hero Academia and Food Wars. Jump for the longest time has felt like it had a static roster, but has really fostered some big hitters in recent years. Weirder still to think that Assassination Classroom was bigger than everything but OP and Shueisha actually let it end after less than 4 years.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Weird to think that Bleach, Toriko and Kochikame all ended this year. Ignoring One Piece, the three best selling titles are now Haikyuu, My Hero Academia and Food Wars. Jump for the longest time has felt like it had a static roster, but has really fostered some big hitters in recent years. Weirder still to think that Assassination Classroom was bigger than everything but OP and Shueisha actually let it end after less than 4 years.

Hunter x Hunter is a big seller too, but that's deep in the "doesn't count" pit.

Jump is trying to push Black Clover hard, but it's volumes sales are just average. At least in Japan, somehow it gets in the Top 10 in North America. I guess both sides of the planet have shit taste in manga/anime. *glares at SAO fans*

Hunter x Hunter is a big seller too, but that's deep in the "doesn't count" pit.

Jump is trying to push Black Clover hard, but it's volumes sales are just average. At least in Japan, somehow it gets in the Top 10 in North America. I guess both sides of the planet have shit taste in manga/anime. *glares at SAO fans*

Ghost Tits/Yuuna is already a stronger seller then BC in Japan....Japan really loves its To Love-Ru type mangas (though to be fair, Yuuna is better then TLR....Darkness is porn it doesn't count.).

Yuuna is better than TLR because it has Oboro in it.

It's like Asu no Yoichi but without the suck
I guess they learned their lessons from Bleach and just let Matsui finish his work the way he wants to - which who would have thought led to a super satisfying and well paced ending!

BLack Clover will get huge with an anime. Watch.

I dont think Yuuna or whatever could get to big hit status even if it gets other media. Do series of its type ever do better than traditional action series?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost Tits/Yuuna is already a stronger seller then BC in Japan....Japan really loves its To Love-Ru type mangas (though to be fair, Yuuna is better then TLR....Darkness is porn it doesn't count.).

Haha ouch. I doubt English Jump will run it, they're very weary on ecchi ever since E-Robot. Then they picked up his second series, which is going to bomb out along with Red Sprite.
With Toriko leaving too, they need new blood. They should bite the bullet and start doing recent Haikyu chapters, not wait until all the old ones are translated. I can see them picking up Amalgam as well.

Haha ouch. I doubt English Jump will run it, they're very weary on ecchi ever since E-Robot. Then they picked up his second series, which is going to bomb out along with Red Sprite.
With Toriko leaving too, they need new blood. They should bite the bullet and start doing recent Haikyu chapters, not wait until all the old ones are translated. I can see them picking up Amalgam as well.

They can get more JUMP SQ series, like Moriarty the Patriot.

Soma has been ranking low lately

maybe after Gintama it may get the axe?

it seems that the echi gimmick wore off at the worst time

when the plot is at its all time low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom