• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a few manga/LN today, and also the ones from last month. My new bookshelves are all out of space already :(

tumblr_og1ht6Zjyd1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

Arabesque

Weirder still to think that Assassination Classroom was bigger than everything but OP and Shueisha actually let it end after less than 4 years.

If you think of Assassination Classroom as being the modern equivalent of Death Note, it ending in less than 4 years don't seem all that strange. Some manga have a short life span, high popularity and a live action movie franchise that seems evergreen.

As for Toriko, Bleach, Kochikame ending this year, outside of Kochikame (which did feel like it could run forever), manga that ran for such long periods of time are sort of an anomaly in a highly competitive magazine like Jump. You don't usually get to have an author work nonstop for 10 to 15 years on a single manga series, they usually make a successful one, and then come back with another one down the line. Mangaka's who end up hanging on to a single series for that long are usually at the end of their careers, at least in the past.

The crazy thing about this year is that in terms of ended manga titles in the magazine, it has been a little below average. A lot of long runners got finished, so naturally people are paying attention to it more so, but it is insane that Jump's out put of new mangaka and manga hadn't been as high as it used to be.

Soma has been ranking low lately

maybe after Gintama it may get the axe?

it seems that the echi gimmick wore off at the worst time

when the plot is at its all time low

Nah, if the volume sales drop and the reception continues being poor for a long time, it might be in danger, but as it is now it should be fine for the foreseeable future.

Rather than the gimmick wearing off, it's more that this arc (Central), Erina's dad and Hayama's heel turn had been meet with a lot of negativity.

Gintama is maybe going to go until late December if not cross into the new year to celebrate its conclusion, so it most certainly not going to get axed before then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Volume sales are fine Soma isn't getting axed lol. Bleach never got axed, Kubo just ran out of ideas.

Soma is a widget series anyways. You're all overestimating how much it would need to fall before they'd consider axing it.

Like consider that it has no real competition in what it does. It could drop sales by half and they wouldn't cancel it. Jump is struggling outside of a couple series.

Volume sales are fine Soma isn't getting axed lol. Bleach never got axed, Kubo just ran out of ideas.

Soma is a widget series anyways. You're all overestimating how much it would need to fall before they'd consider axing it.

Like consider that it has no real competition in what it does. It could drop sales by half and they wouldn't cancel it. Jump is struggling outside of a couple series.

Completely agree. Soma is one of their series which I see them wanting to keep. Especially with a bunch of long running series ending, they need new ones to take their place, and Soma is one of those.

Yep, unless Soma's volume sales start to decline badly I can't see them axeing it for at least another two years. At the moment its the third strongest SJ seller (HxH is in the hiatus pit), and even though fans obviously don't like the current developments I don't see this hurting the volumes sales much or at all. Jump would axe almost every other series before touching Soma, while having a good ranking can save your ass, it can't do much when the series below you in the rankings is selling 10X+ the amount of volumes.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch147

Oka's getting into trouble fast.

Not sure how it'll go with Mei's involvement, but I hope it won't worsen the situation.

jitsu wa watashi wa 147

Oka what are you doing? I'm not really sure I understand his reasoning.
Also I lol'd at Shimas "endless torture"

Tomo 456 - 457

Tomo really is getting stronger. Jun needs to get his ass in gear already.

MANUELF

Banned
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 147
Shima continues to show he is the true evil in the universe and across all times and space, no one deserves such torture

And now Oka is going to do a grave error that will only hurt more people in the end

Assass Classclass ended because the mangaka knows how to make self-contained stories. They did it with Neuro and they did it with Assass. Dollars to donuts that they wanted them to continue Assass in an endless popularity drag but the mangaka was like "Nah B."

Does anyone know the exact details of Selector Stirred Wixoss?
Saw like 2 chapters have been translated back in February and can't find any more details like how many are actually out or what the release schedule looks like.
This manga is way more interesting so far than this season of the anime.

dumbyugi

Mai Ball 51

I like the Franklin girls but this match has been going on for too long. It's the first round in the tournament but it feels like a semi. Some of the chapters have had the illusion of progress but with nothing actually happening. This has a similar problem to recent Saki where I just want the main character to hurry up and destroy everyone but it keeps focusing on everything else. I did find it amusing that they managed to find an excuse to show some bare tits in the middle of a match haha.

Komori-san wa Kotowarenai! 44

I hope this continues past graduation, I want to see them all in college. At the very least I want to see the main couple get together.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 147

I've been slowly working my way through this for weeks now and like, just as I've been catching up, this got all serious. I thought I signed up for goofy faces.

Oka needs to be smacked.

Boys be Zombitious (one-shot)
Zombie apocalypse short from the Blood Lad author, starring a hopeless guy who wants to die in the arms/teeth of a beautiful zombie girl. They're not my preferred undead by any stretch of the imagination, but I can still appreciate the guy's motivations. Sadly the ending hints at a human route, otherwise it's a worthy use of 5 minutes.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch458

Fancy metting you there!

Love Tyrant ch41

At last the fantasy world comes at an end.

Hell is next. RIP hell.

Already sounds more original than most of LNs out there.

bobohoro

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 147

Yo, Oka, that's not a good idea.
Mei won't fall for it. Or the gods of (mis)fortune will somehow intervene.
Or, if worst comes to worse, Shima will do something.

And that happy accident was brilliant.

World Trigger

it seems that worry is going to be quite troublesome during there future matches

likely they might lose their next match even though they got themselves a new team-mate

StayDead

Okusama ga Seitokaichou vol. 2

Misumi just keeps on winning. This is a hell of a lot better than I could've imagined it being. It's fairly obvious Misumi doesn't have a chance in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy to accept these miss-understandings for the whole manga.

bobohoro

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 1

Well, I can definitely see where the title Ghost Tits came from.
Art's good, MC looks to be not completely useless and I need some dumb, lighthearted series, so I'll give this one a chance.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shokugeki no soma latest
When all else fail, pull the fujobait. I mean, damn, Soma pulling hayama collar while saying, 'i want you to taste it', that surely will spark something

I don't have a problem with a Hayama heel turn, in fact Hayama is one of my favorite characters and his relationship with Jun is probably one of the best things about the manga, but it was just handled so poorly in a way that makes no fucking sense for him to do.

Yes, selling out to protect Jun makes sense. All of a sudden turning evil as if he needed to be evil to protect her instead of just being like "Dude, I have to do this to save her" makes no sense. Why's he hiding anything? Why is he pretending to be a shitbag? Why isn't he just saying "Yo dude, I'm doing this because if I don't they'll shut us down"

Edit: One Piece 845

Holy shit that woman has a huge hat

Lain

Seven Days | Monday-Thursday volume 1

I quite liked the flow of this one. It's quite... tender. It's what I'd expect from a yuri, feeling wise, but with two guys instead. I couldn't say if I like more Yuzuru or Touji, both have aspects to their personalities that I can dig and their chemistry is fun to watch.
I'm quite curious to see how their relationship will end up developing, will it go toward a real lovestory or will it end up in just friendship or will it end as it ended with all the previous attempts at falling in love for Touji.
I'm expecting the happy end. As a couple they're pretty cool.

Seven Days | Monday-Thursday volume 1

I quite liked the flow of this one. It's quite... tender. It's what I'd expect from a yuri, feeling wise, but with two guys instead. I couldn't say if I like more Yuzuru or Touji, both have aspects to their personalities that I can dig and their chemistry is fun to watch.
I'm quite curious to see how their relationship will end up developing, will it go toward a real lovestory or will it end up in just friendship or will it end as it ended with all the previous attempts at falling in love for Touji.
I'm expecting the happy end. As a couple they're pretty cool.

Seven Days is one of the best bl.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) Amazing EIGHTH WONDER (Uchi no Musume ni Te o Dasu na! - Oyako Heroine Funtousu doujinshi) by Tamaki Nozomu

Here you can see a h-doujinshi of the original manga by the same author, which to be honest isn't that much of a departure considering the source.

Zweizer

Banned
Beloved ch1-8 by Jaeliu

Wei Wei is a 34-year old ophthalmologist, who's been single for 2 years. Ding Yi is a 16-year old highschool student, who pretended to be studying in a college. They both meet in a nightclub, and following what Wei thought was a one-night stand, alongside a shocking revelation, DIng Yi proves herself to be a little bit more of a persistent presence in her life than expected.

Another Chinese webcomic depicting lesbian characters that's surprisingly pleasant to read. The art in particular is very pretty, especially the colors, but most notably, it's one of these rare series depicting a relationship with a noticeable age gap that I don't have a huge dislike for, somehow. Maybe it's the more subdued way their sentiments are depicted, which avoid the creepy fixation most other series fall into.

It might be a little early to judge, but it's a pretty promising webcomic, with a tasteful approach so far to an otherwise difficult to depict relationship.

JulianImp

Tetugaku Letra - Vols 4 and 5
Pretty cool, even though I still don't like contrived coincidences such as Yuzu's big sister finding the flier Ichinose's sister had brought to the club meeting, her deciding to invite the basketball girl there, Yuzu kicking a can and that can hitting a random short-tempered bypasser, resulting in the guy beating Ichinose up until the girl showed up to save him (and of course they never learned who he was because he had a goofy horse mask on that didn't obstruct his face at all).

Other than that, I did like the arc with Morino's previous teacher, the short guy (whose name I can't remember right now) and his attempts to make Yuzu feel better about herself (even if they just led to her returning to that asshole boyfriend of hers who had already admitted he was three-timing her by then), and the girl who was torn between helping her former friend or leaving her behind to focus only on what she wanted to do (I guess banzai gramps can become useful on ocassion).

bobohoro

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 10

Hey, this is surprisingly cute and decent. The cat chapter was nice, but the ghost foto and blossoming friendship was really well done.
The fan serivce is kinda meh. You either go at it full force or leave it out, this one falls right in the middle where it's kinda distracting and not really all that well done.
but overall, it's a pleasant read up until now.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 34 - 37

This continues to be pretty lewd. I'm wondering if there will be any girl that doesn't end up in Fuyuzora's harem?

Zweizer

Banned
I Am a Hero ch240

Suzuki is in quite a pinch. Should've kept his old shotgun.

Shokugeki no Soma ch190

Quite the expected outcome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

You gotta be kidding me. They didn't even announce the fucking winner.

I did find it interesting that Soma went with a super rare, high-quality ingredient this time since he's usually known for using cheap shit he found at the dollar store.

Soma 190

Completely expected everything, though I'm OK with that.
I'm sure Hayama will now realize the mistake he made by siding with central, though I don't really see him joining Soma's gang. Well, at least not right away.

Shokugeki no Soma

You gotta be kidding me. They didn't even announce the fucking winner.

I did find it interesting that Soma went with a super rare, high-quality ingredient this time since he's usually known for using cheap shit he found at the dollar store.

I'd say the winner is already obvious

As for the high-quality ingredients, its almost like he used a Hayama technique to defeat him.

Wiseblade

Kingdom (caught up)

These last 5 chapters have been super entertaining. But I don't understand how capturing Gyou is truly supposed to help conquer Zhao. It's a strong location that puts pressure on the front line and is a great staging point from which to capture the capital, but it's easy to cut off and suffocate an occupying force.

Do people actually expect anyone but Souma to win this?

This match? No. But he does lose occasionally. Though I think its obvious to everyone by now, that if losing a cooking match mean expulsion, Soma isn't going to lose as it would mean the end of the manga. Unless of course he had the ability to challenge the expulsion, which he would of course win.

Oct 24th - 30th Sales

*1. 168,863 168,863 Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare Vol.4
*2. 141,606 277,014 Saint☆Onii-san Vol.13
*3. 135,502 135,502 Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu. Vol.12
*4. 128,592 550,539 Kingdom Vol.44
*5. *99,940 427,489 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.23
*6. *87,275 192,751 Kinou Nani Tabeta? Vol.12
*7. *82,207 174,974 Giant Killing Vol.42
*8. *76,565 *76,565 ReRe Hello Vol.11
*9. *62,094 240,651 Diamond no Ace Act II Vol.5
10. *61,017 *61,017 I Am a Hero Vol.21

11. *58,453 *58,453 Kuubo Ibuki Vol.5
12. *47,444 *47,444 Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari Vol.4
13. *44,872 *44,872 Bread & Butter Vol.5
14. *44,672 156,428 Dagashi Kashi Vol.6
15. *43,567 308,184 Chihayafuru Vol.33
16. *43,045 *63,093 Vanitas no Carte Vol.2
17. *39,319 *40,940 Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid Vol.17
18. *36,832 727,520 Haikyuu!! Vol.23
19. *33,230 *52,696 D-Frag! Vol.11
20. *30,524 *30,524 Ore Yome.: Ore no Yome ni Nare yo Vol.8

21. *28,390 *28,390 Koifuru Colorful: Zenbu Kimi to Hajimete Vol.5
22. *25,038 *66,098 3x3 Eyes: Genjuu no Mori no Sounansha Vol.4
23. *24,601 *92,867 Kamisama no Iutoori Ni Vol.19
24. *24,485 285,956 Ajin Vol.9
25. *24,345 388,732 Natsume Yuujinchou Vol.21
26. *24,172 *24,172 Jisatsutou Vol.17
27. *23,956 *23,956 Jisatsutou Vol.16
28. *23,361 118,705 Days Vol.19
29. *21,764 118,624 Suki tte Ii na yo. Vol.17
30. *20,830 *55,100 Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii Vol.14

31. *20,493 *20,493 Sekai wa Nakajima ni Koi wo Suru!! Vol.3
32. *20,402 *41,680 Kaichou Shima Kousaku Vol.7
33. *20,307 *43,388 Sanzoku Diary: Real Ryoushi Funtouki Vol.7
34. *19,225 *60,183 Biorg Trinity Vol.10
35. *18,707 *18,707 Kirameki no Lion Boy Vol.1
36. *18,651 *18,651 Karneval Vol.18
37. *18,584 *77,418 Enen no Shouboutai Vol.5
38. *18,217 *71,399 Souboutei Kowasubeshi Vol.2
39. *17,729 *17,729 Ao Ashi Vol.7
40. *17,674 224,257 xxxHOLiC: Rei Vol.4

41. *17,636 600,268 3-gatsu no Lion Vol.12
42. *17,537 *18,179 Kidou Senshi Gundam Unicorn: Bande Dessinee Vol.16
43. *17,427 *28,749 Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Vol.10
44. *17,181 *82,683 Mashiro no Oto Vol.16
45. *16,734 *35,901 Fragile Vol.7
46. *16,272 *16,272 Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine Vol.7
47. *15,750 *21,470 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records Vol.4
48. *15,681 *58,744 Dear Boys: Over Time Vol.2
49. *15,374 116,059 Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san Vol.4
50. *15,346 *15,346 Yagami-kun wa, Kyou mo Ijiwaru. Vol.1

Zweizer

Banned
Himouto! Umaru-chan ch150-151

So many sweets. Nice to see everyone enjoying things together.

Not Lives ch52

Yeah, no chance it ends on such a note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom