• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yu Yu Hakusho is the only shounen I can think of where the tournament arc is the only thing that really holds up, and that's mostly because of the anime.

stuff like the four saint beasts arc? blegh.
Four Beasts was so bad it got the manga canned.

Anime version is all right, mostly because it has to write its own story halfway.

Yu Yu Hasuko 30

Maybe it's because of HxH, maybe it's because I read nothing but good thing about it, but quite honestly this is not doing it for me. The fights are boring, the characters aren't impressive and everything about Keiko is zzzz.

Does it get better or it's one of these things that "you had to be there"?

When the core 4 finally start working together is when the series really hits it's stride. Their is a reason the og anime cut a lot of the first chunk of the manga to quickly get the gang together. It's also something Togashi learned for HxH.

eh.... wouldn't go that far. HxH is pretty much a duo manga most of the time. Leorio and Kurapika are much more secondary than kurama and hiei.

You can clearly see Togashi realize that he doesn't need to give a fuck about drawing the scenery as the manga progresses tho :D

eh.... wouldn't go that far. HxH is pretty much a duo manga most of the time. Leorio and Kurapika are much more secondary than kurama and hiei.

You can clearly see Togashi realize that he doesn't need to give a fuck about drawing the scenery as the manga progresses tho :D

That's only for the greed island and chimera ant arc where they get forgotten about which probably feels a lot longer of a gap for people who read ca during hiatus hell. They return to prominence during the most recent arcs and even during the tower arc we keep up with what they're doing to a lesser extent and the plan is to reunite in yorkshin iirc.

Tsugumomo 93

Following up that flashback arc with a goddamn tournament arc is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It'd be like following up Marineford with some crap-ass arc about Fish people.
oh wait

Overall might have the best fights in a manga I've ever seen but its far too problematic™ to ever seriously recommend, even moreso then To Love Ru Darkness or Monogatari.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
When the core 4 finally start working together is when the series really hits it's stride. Their is a reason the og anime cut a lot of the first chunk of the manga to quickly get the gang together. It's also something Togashi learned for HxH.

OH snap he does HxH? I did not know that. It's kind of amazing for me to think The Chimera Ant Arc(the single best arc in Shonen anything I think) was done by the same guy.

OH snap he does HxH? I did not know that. It's kind of amazing for me to think The Chimera Ant Arc(the single best arc in Shonen anything I think) was done by the same guy.

Yeah HxH in a lot of ways feels like Togashi learning from the strengths and weaknesses of YYH to make the master class that is HxH.

Screaming Lessons 44

IT LIVES. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 2 YEARS.

S7tvfv4.jpg
SHAME THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WILL ONLY BE ANOTHER 30 PAGES OR SO, AHAHAHAHA-

-wait, no, she actually walked away from this chapter with all of her bodily functions intact. That's quite an achievement for one of this series's tempMCs, though her crime was low tier + she showed remorse so it's not wholly surprising. Her senpai getting some unwanted parenting was a bit harsh though, since it's the duty of friends to scare their friends shitless when the opportunity presents itself. I'm too sleepy to ponder the existential implications of Yomi receiving a house call from LesserYomi.

If I have to wait another 2 years for the next chapter then I'll start organising my own screaming lessons.

Tsugumomo 93

Following up that flashback arc with a goddamn tournament arc is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It'd be like following up Marineford with some crap-ass arc about Fish people.
oh wait

Overall might have the best fights in a manga I've ever seen but its far too problematic™ to ever seriously recommend, even moreso then To Love Ru Darkness or Monogatari.

Ah toldz ya

Tsugumomo 93

oh wait

Now you see what Oni has been saying (with the other readers agreeing) for the longest time.

I would say yes as the mangaka draws the best action scenes to paper in manga today.

Just...y'know. Steel yourself for labias. If almost hentai levels of nudity are bad news bears for you then no it is not worth it.

Moaradin

Red Sprite 11

These last few chapters have been pretty alright. I think the manga has potential, and perhaps that's why Jump seems to be giving this one more of a chance?

Shokugeki no Soma 190

The outcome is so obvious at this point. No idea why they're dragging it out.

The Promised Neverland 14

Turns out Ray was playing 4d chess as well. Quite the predicament Norman is in.

I would say yes as the mangaka draws the best action scenes to paper in manga today.

Just...y'know. Steel yourself for labias. If almost hentai levels of nudity are bad news bears for you then no it is not worth it.

Probably not. I don't think I can in good conscience recommend it. It's not even a side thing its often the main thing. You'll have to decide for yourself.

How bad is it compared to something like Prison School (which I was fine with).

Boogiepop

Maaaaaan, US Shonen Jump space is being wasted on RWBY. I suspected as much from chapter 1, but yeah, this seems to absolutely be the level of garbage you tend to see from anime->manga tie-in/adaptation stuff that only exists (and sadly tends to often get translated officially over better stuff) because of the name and nothing else. Plus bonus points that I haven't seen the series too, for extra "fun". Bleh. I'll give it a little longer to maybe actually find footing, but this may be the first thing in the magazine that I'll just skip over each week (which is saying a lot, since I tolerated Bleach to the end despite not being fond of it for forever. Though to be fair a chapter of Bleach was often, like, a minute to read through).

Seriously though, super disappointed to see this making it in over literally anything else, except I guess more stuff that falls into the same category of uber-crap.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can US Jump have "wasted slots"? It's a digital magazine, it's not like Japan's Jump which sends out a phone book of cheap paper every week, and prefers to limit itself to around 20 series.
US Jump has weekly and monthly series (and One Punch Man).

There's always the issue of time and manpower of course, but even then there's no worries about paper.

I do agree, RWBY feels pointless to have around.

Maaaaaan, US Shonen Jump space is being wasted on RWBY. I suspected as much from chapter 1, but yeah, this seems to absolutely be the level of garbage you tend to see from anime->manga tie-in/adaptation stuff that only exists (and sadly tends to often get translated officially over better stuff) because of the name and nothing else. Plus bonus points that I haven't seen the series too, for extra "fun". Bleh. I'll give it a little longer to maybe actually find footing, but this may be the first thing in the magazine that I'll just skip over each week (which is saying a lot, since I tolerated Bleach to the end despite not being fond of it for forever. Though to be fair a chapter of Bleach was often, like, a minute to read through).

Seriously though, super disappointed to see this making it in over literally anything else, except I guess more stuff that falls into the same category of uber-crap.

I dont like how most of RWBY has no backgrounds.

Verelios

How bad is it compared to something like Prison School (which I was fine with).
Read the first volume. Now multiply that by 2 for lewdness and amazing action scenes every succeeding volume. I wish I was joking, especially when I realize they're in MS.

Fairy Tail 408

Uh huh. Okay, so...what? I'm not even going to stress myself since this is my junk food along with Black Clover.

Boogiepop

Can US Jump have "wasted slots"? It's a digital magazine, it's not like Japan's Jump which sends out a phone book of cheap paper every week, and prefers to limit itself to around 20 series.

There's always the issue of time and manpower of course, but even then there's no worries about paper.

Yeah, at least in my mind they presumably want to limit the amount of resources (translations, etc) that go into the magazine, hence why it's stayed more or less consistent (I think it jumped a few times thanks to the additions of monthlies and whatnot, but more or less seems to hold steady in number of series, IIRC). Though I suppose it's not fair to say with 100% certainty that if they didn't add RWBY they could have, say, picked up Amalgam of Distortion instead. But it certainly does feel that way to me, if nothing else.

gintama 611

I know this is the ending, but I hope this whole war thing doesn't get dragged out too long.
Another thing, I don't know if its ever been addressed, but what is the rest of earth doing? Did aliens land there too and modernize everything? Are they still living in an 1800's world? I know this is mostly a gag manga, but its like Japan is the only country on earth.

grand blue 6

Those first two pages alone had me laughing.
All that work to get Chisa to do the thing for nothing. They end up having to do the boycon in the end no matter what.

Trash. 2-41
If you want good detailed action, plenty of that but IMO the only good and interesting characters is Marin as she's basically hot headed Wolverine with axes and Minoko. Ruschia was boring and most of the villains end up dying aside and not really having any personalities aside from whacky psycho murderers aside from two thus far. Also the manga doesnt do a good job of building up the baddies, its always 'Well heres the psycho murderers' and they then fight and now they're dead. Plus six volumes in, we still dont have much background info regarding the two MCs aside from few brief flashbacks explaining bits bout their personalities.

Grand Blue 1-15
I was close to not reading this with chapter 1 seemingly being a boring inspirational adventure romcom manga about diving but well, the picture should tell you enough.

This is easily one of the funniest mangas I've read and up there with Kaguya-sama. Its character interactions are grand, their expressions are demonic looking but damn hilarious to look at and the jokes are damn good. While most of the time its humor based, there are some moments here and there where we actually learning a thing or two about diving but when its not about diving, its usually about drinking, nudity and misunderstandings.

The characters are also all pretty likable too, Iori's airheadedness, Nanaka with the siscon complex and being Iori's motherly caretaker to the senior titans to Chisa's stern cold behaviour to all the bs the gang pulls and the obviously not-otaku Kitahara bro and few more that are just as likable.

My only gripe is the whole cousin thing, its the only really generic trait that the manga has that annoys me but thankfully, their cousinship thing isnt focused on too much and usually ends up in gag either way.

Yeah the RWBY manga is super inconsistent art wise and the story feels like it assumes you already know about this world.

Their editors and translators can only work on so many series a week the time they're wasting doing RWBY could be used to translate something else.

bobohoro

Is Tsugumomo worth reading despite the problematic™ stuff?

Like others've said, it's way above and beyond stuff like Prison School or TLR Darkness. Heck, there's enough hentai out there that is tame in comparison to Tsugumomo, and the presented material can make anyone feel uncomfortable really fast.

That said, it still has some of the best action scenes of modern manga, a likeable cast (if you ignore most of the sexual harassment, which can be rather impossible) and a surprsingly good and emotional story at times. And the closing words of the mangaka are straight up hilarious...or disturbing. Try it, the manga doesn't really hide its true colors, so you'll see what you're in for really fast and can bail out in the beginning.

Youkai Shoujo 83

I mean, Hime is great, but that soggy emo farewell was a bit much. Halfway through I thought we would be in for a senseless rescue arc. Good thing Trash-kun did something right.
The nosebleed stuff on the other hand remains dumb.

Revo

Nukoduke! 89

Feels a bit surprising it took this long for a sleepover. But when you consider her owners, it makes complete sense.

Onideka 8
There was only one way this fight was going to end, but it still sucks. RIP maid. If cuteness truly were justice then she would've won. Now my interest nosedives until another entertaining foe shows up, because the lead duo sure can't carry this manga by themselves.

Shengar

Akai mi Hajiketa

A neat short story or one shots in this case of romantic encounters or stories. There isn't anything extraordinary but the overall package is consistent and none of it being particularly bad or anything. One thing that need to be noted is how the stories are quite diverse in their premise and execution. There's even a story about friendship between three girls, so that's a big plus.

Zweizer

Banned
Okusan ch34

Senpai's aren't bad either~

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch83

Well, as long as Hime is staying.

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki ch24

Such a handy mount.

The most unrealistic aspect of the series is probably how cooperative the players are. From my short experience with MMOs, they would stop at nothing to shortchange and swindle you.

Shengar

Zweizer, most of your recommendation is yuri or shoujo-ai. I asked for boy meet girl, not girl meet girl!

Zombie Maria is nice though, albeit the ending is pretty weak due to lacking execution.

bobohoro

Hajime No Ippo 1158...or is it?

The manga where every one in a while you get the feeling someone just quit on the job in the middle of it all.
I'm waiting for the day when a chapter ends mid-page.

And Ippo's progress in terms of romance is rather...sad. They are how old and had the hots for each other how long now?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The manga where every one in a while you get the feeling someone just quit on the job in the middle of it all.
I'm waiting for the day when a chapter ends mid-page.

And Ippo's progress in terms of romance is rather...sad. They are how old and had the hots for each other how long now?

Seriously, I thought there was a page missing or something. Some of these chapters feel like they should be combined.

Ippo is in that weird place where dude has 3x the number of fights under his belt that his coach got, but we still supposed to assume that kamogawa is some mad yoda type training a particularly strong luke.

...what progress? Manga is static as fuck.

The problem with Ippo is that it actually looked like Ippo would start being the main concentration of good storylines again because that Rodriguez fight was one of the best fights of the manga hands down after YEARS of shitty Ippo fights with only Takamura to keep us afloat and now they're drawing this punch drunk shit out too much and oh yeah Itagaki is still in the manga which automatically makes every chapter with him in it the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom