• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Yo! I'm looking for some manga recommendations. I'd prefer more serious stuff, and am currently leaning towards slice-of-life/drama or sports manga. Something that has a fair amount of chapters to read already.

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Additionally some of my favourite stuff is: Hikaru No Go, Twin Spica, and anime-wise Planetes, Welcome to the NHK and Barakamon.

Things I don't like:
* Moe-crap / Gratuitous panty-shots / "ecchi" stuff
* Complete comedies
* No character development.
* Too much naval-gazing.

If someone can compile that into some recommendation that'd be nice.

I was thinking of maybe reading Eyeshield 21 though I have no interest in football.
Did you really score 3/100 on an exam?

upandaway

You know, it's been almost four years since I started doing the manga OPs.

I never read as prolifically as some of the other Manga GAF members, but I'm still reading some stuff here and there.

It's been a good four years, and the next four years will probably be a bit different, but I think no matter what Manga GAF will probably still have that "I forgot how lewd this hentai is" feeling in it, because that's kind of timeless.
Wow didn't realize that much time passed. You always put a lot of effort in, thanks drama. It was always awkward trying to peer pressure someone into opening it before a mod locks our thread for being too long.

Yo! I'm looking for some manga recommendations. I'd prefer more serious stuff, and am currently leaning towards slice-of-life/drama or sports manga. Something that has a fair amount of chapters to read already.

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Additionally some of my favourite stuff is: Hikaru No Go, Twin Spica, and anime-wise Planetes, Welcome to the NHK and Barakamon.

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

I was thinking of maybe reading Eyeshield 21 though I have no interest in football.
Slice of Life:
Otoyomegatari
Hakumei & Mikochi
Flying Witch
Shirayukihime

Sports (the best ever):
Baby Steps

Given recent events, just to make sure:
Yotsuba

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

Golden Kamui
Keyman
Glass Mask
Helck
Sanctuary

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

Read Haikyuu!! and Ace of Diamond.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Golden Kamui
Keyman
Glass Mask
Helck
Sanctuary
For sports read Hinomaru Zumou even if you have no interest in sumo at all it is is extremely well executed and has perfected the action of hyping a moment up to an art. Also has a wide array of well developed side characters and a likeable protagonist. There's a reason why it's managed to claw it's way to remain on shounen jump for over a 100 chapters despite selling like dog shot because of it's high rankings.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Toriko 395

Well that was a rushed shitty terrible ending but no surprise here.

Edit: Lol didn't realize there was one more chapter but still... what a crock :/

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

Dungeon Meshi
Mizukami Satoshi tanpeshu
Slam Dunk
Re-life
Cross Game
H2

Oddman 11 27

I remember when it first started as reverse gender Scott Pilgrim. Now, the story somehow turn into Setsu and her yuri harem slice of life. You know what? I'm okay with this.

EDIT; oh wait, dude appear in previous chapter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I Am A Hero 239 to 242

Oh shit. Is our hero finally fucked? Also what the fuck is even going on anymore in this series? I like it but it has taken quite a few turns I wasn't expecting with the super human mutants and the giant body horror monsters made of countless infected.

Zweizer

Banned
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch39-40

Kid should just learn to own it.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch20

Being a cat is a job in itself!

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san 20

eMhRP8b.jpg

Peco

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

Rookies
Dorohedoro
Holyland

mdubs

Banned

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

If you liked Barakamon, read Sweetness & Lightning.

If you want sports shonen, read Haikyu!!, Cross Game, or Welcome to the Ballroom.

If you want a superhero comic with awesome visuals, read Ultraman.

upandaway

Flying Witch 24

Hamabe is so good. What a guy. And since Chinatsu is amazing too it makes sense that they matched up so well, I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Sandfox

Currently reading:
* Vinland Saga
* Silver Spoon
* Mob Psycho 100%
* My Hero Academia

Things I don't like:
* Complete comedies
* Too much naval-gazing.

Eyeshield 21 is really good.

upandaway

Hakumei & Mikochi 17

x23Zfgh.jpg

Rest in peace hakumei. People who order spicy things have no one to blame but themselves (moreover they put everyone else at the table at risk too. hmph)

Verelios

The ironic thing about Mai Ball is the actual soccer, drama and pseudo play making is interesting, if we got to see them more without the cheese. I mean, you can have cheese anywhere, that was the premise and every chapter reinforced it, but in the middle of a match?

dumbyugi

I'm just glad the match is finally over. Not because it was bad but because I don't think the first round should have been this long. Looks like it's probably going to go the Eyeshield 21 way of having the team almost lose only to have some new tactic that wins them the match. Also means we can finally get to the after match bath house scene lol.

bobohoro

Wait, there is an actual lewd football manga?

Mai Ball 1

Nice art, even the low pass panels looked pretty well done. I'm definitely interested.

Hajime no Ippo 1158:
Kumi appears, and yet somehow there's still no romantic development whatsoever. 27 fucking years and they still haven't progressed even a little bit.

Detective Conan 978:
Getting focus on Wakasa this case, so I'm looking forward to finding out more about her. I doubt we'll get any confirmations about her identity/allegiance, but we should at least get some strong clues by the end of the case.

I went down a rabbit hole recently that got me to find something I've been trying to examine and explain for a while now in ways I didn't know before. I'm...still working on doing a really good examination of the dichotomy between anime and manga having strong women characters who if you took them solely from a character/story perspective are miles ahead of Western interpretations of "strong" or "independent" women but physically are often used for fan-service and eye-fucking in ridiculously designed costumes and angles or situations that go against their character in order to appeal to a male demographic/idea of masculinity/femininity. Due to the Ghost in the Shell trailer, I found out that Roger Ebert reviewed the original anime movie and while a generally terrible review because he basically just describes events that happen in the movie and then goes "It was pretty good 3/4 Stars" with barely any critique or examination of elements from it, he actually points out the element of anime I'm talking about above by saying that the Major is a strong female character who nevertheless shows off her titties and not entirely for artistic reasons. He then makes reference to a recent (at the time in '95-96) article in Film Quarterly that examined the life of salarymen in Japan who often found their lifestyle trapping and claustrophobically binding, wearing them down every day, and finding their freedom in women who generally did not have to do the work they did; living vicariously through depictions of women who were the heroes and independent and free to do these things they could not. But because they were still men as the target audience it couldn't just be strong women doing independent things; they still had to at the end of the day be a service towards the men. I had never really thought about it that way before, and to be completely honest I feel that with the audience shift in anime to be mainly targeted at younger people or otakus that this idea can still hold up; a lot of kids could feel trapped by school or parents or tradition/grades/Japanese culture or as an older otaku by the life that they find themselves in and use this anime/manga as freedom from those things while still being men who cannot see a woman being all these things they can't be without needing a tit or panty-shot to keep them grounded or being depressed watching someone do what they can't.

I think it's actually different from the similar notion of the popular self-insert harem protagonist/variations thereof that have also become popular because of the gender of the characters. Often the woman who is strong and independent is not meant as a self-insert but as liberating to watch and envy but not want to be. You watch what they do and their freedom and wish you had FREEDOM like her, but not HER freedom, if that makes sense. Therefore you can project your desires on top of her desires or her freedom and strength and not directly feel weird when she falls on top of some guy's dick because you are not her.

What's unfortunate is that I seem to be at a roadblock following this further because after 2 hours of searching I have been unable to find this specific article or a good place to look for it. The Film Quarterly site only has articles going back to 2005 and only select articles and I cannot find another site that has logged any specific articles or a searchable database of their '90s output. Likewise, I am unsure if public libraries would carry such old issues of Film Quarterly and get the distinct feeling that the ones that do, or rather any physical place that does, wouldn't be around me.

Which is too bad because I really wanted to go in depth to look at this as it might kick my ass into gear to actually continue working on my self-imposed research paper regarding this and posting yet another thread on GAF with an OP that's way too long and in-depth except this time it won't be about girls fucking dudes in the butt with strapons.

Zweizer

Banned
That's an interesting interpretation of the differences in representation of female characters. Wish you all the luck in your research. I'll be eagerly waiting for your paper, that's for sure~

except this time it won't be about girls fucking dudes in the butt with strapons.

I don't see why not!

bobohoro

Keep at it Oni, I'd be quite interested in that.
And the pegging-thread was ace, very informative and well written.

Hajime No Ippo 1159

That's not what I had imaigined after the cliffhanger last chapter.
Like, at all.

Tsuntsun.

I went down a rabbit hole recently that got me to find something I've been trying to examine and explain for a while now in ways I didn't know before. I'm...still working on doing a really good examination of the dichotomy between anime and manga having strong women characters who if you took them solely from a character/story perspective are miles ahead of Western interpretations of "strong" or "independent" women but physically are often used for fan-service and eye-fucking in ridiculously designed costumes and angles or situations that go against their character in order to appeal to a male demographic/idea of masculinity/femininity. Due to the Ghost in the Shell trailer, I found out that Roger Ebert reviewed the original anime movie and while a generally terrible review because he basically just describes events that happen in the movie and then goes "It was pretty good 3/4 Stars" with barely any critique or examination of elements from it, he actually points out the element of anime I'm talking about above by saying that the Major is a strong female character who nevertheless shows off her titties and not entirely for artistic reasons. He then makes reference to a recent (at the time in '95-96) article in Film Quarterly that examined the life of salarymen in Japan who often found their lifestyle trapping and claustrophobically binding, wearing them down every day, and finding their freedom in women who generally did not have to do the work they did; living vicariously through depictions of women who were the heroes and independent and free to do these things they could not. But because they were still men as the target audience it couldn't just be strong women doing independent things; they still had to at the end of the day be a service towards the men. I had never really thought about it that way before, and to be completely honest I feel that with the audience shift in anime to be mainly targeted at younger people or otakus that this idea can still hold up; a lot of kids could feel trapped by school or parents or tradition/grades/Japanese culture or as an older otaku by the life that they find themselves in and use this anime/manga as freedom from those things while still being men who cannot see a woman being all these things they can't be without needing a tit or panty-shot to keep them grounded or being depressed watching someone do what they can't.

I think it's actually different from the similar notion of the popular self-insert harem protagonist/variations thereof that have also become popular because of the gender of the characters. Often the woman who is strong and independent is not meant as a self-insert but as liberating to watch and envy but not want to be. You watch what they do and their freedom and wish you had FREEDOM like her, but not HER freedom, if that makes sense. Therefore you can project your desires on top of her desires or her freedom and strength and not directly feel weird when she falls on top of some guy's dick because you are not her.

What's unfortunate is that I seem to be at a roadblock following this further because after 2 hours of searching I have been unable to find this specific article or a good place to look for it. The Film Quarterly site only has articles going back to 2005 and only select articles and I cannot find another site that has logged any specific articles or a searchable database of their '90s output. Likewise, I am unsure if public libraries would carry such old issues of Film Quarterly and get the distinct feeling that the ones that do, or rather any physical place that does, wouldn't be around me.

Which is too bad because I really wanted to go in depth to look at this as it might kick my ass into gear to actually continue working on my self-imposed research paper regarding this and posting yet another thread on GAF with an OP that's way too long and in-depth except this time it won't be about girls fucking dudes in the butt with strapons.

If you ever write it I'll be there to read it like that strapon thread lol, good luck

Joe Molotov

Hi MangaGAF, I read sum mangas, can I post here now?

I was in the mood for some dark fantasy like Berserk, so I went to BAM and picked up the first two volumes of Ubel Blatt. It was pretty cool, it was badass, I liked it. I've heard that Vinland Saga is good too, so I'll check that out sometime as well.

BAM was doing Buy 2 Get 1 on manga, so instead of just buying another volume of Ubel Blatt, I thought I'd class my shit up with a prestige manga. I decided to pick up The Girl on the Shore, not knowing anything about it except that Inio Asano is supposed to be kind of a big deal, and the back cover made it sound like a coming-of-age SOL.

Am I on a list now? There were way more cumshots than I was expecting, fam. I didn't even see the inconspicuous 18+ until I'd already bought it, officer. :eek:

But seriously though, I liked it although it was bit more...intense than I anticipated.

Zweizer

Banned
If you want to read more Asano, read Solanin, then Goodnight Punpun.

If you'd like more fantasy manga, Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon is a great series that's highly recommended.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Am I on a list now? There were way more cumshots than I was expecting, fam. I didn't even see the inconspicuous 18+ until I'd already bought it, officer. :eek:

But seriously though, I liked it although it was bit more...intense than I anticipated.

laugh.gif

LeleSocho

Banned
Hakumei & Mikochi - 1 to 10

A manga about 9 centimeters girls and their life in the forest, they build things, they explore, experience places and animals and they eat... A LOT! The artstyle is rich and gives a warm feeling, recommended!

cntr

Banned
OniBarubary: You might be interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, specifically, the sixth part, Stone Ocean. I think you've been watching the anime? So you'll probably know that the series hasn't been too different than most manga and anime at handling women.

But that changes dramatically with Stone Ocean, which is a heavily westernized seinen series. Jolyne's a fantastic main character, and Araki writes her in a way that's extremely western, including having almost zero fanservice in SO. Jolyne's abilities and fights aren't any simpler or toned down compared to what the male Jojos get. They're arguably even more hardcore.

She's the best written woman in any manga I've ever read, and your description of the differing approaches Western and Japanese works take made me think of the way she's handled. Recommend checking it out. Though you'll need to finish Part 4 and 5 first.

OniBarubary: You might be interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, specifically, the sixth part, Stone Ocean. I think you've been watching the anime? So you'll probably know that the series hasn't been too different than most manga and anime at handling women.

But that changes dramatically with Stone Ocean, which is a heavily westernized seinen series. Jolyne's a fantastic main character, and Araki writes her in a way that's extremely western, including having almost zero fanservice in SO. Jolyne's abilities and fights aren't any simpler or toned down compared to what the male Jojos get. They're arguably even more hardcore.

She's the best written woman in any manga I've ever read, and your description of the differing approaches Western and Japanese works take made me think of the way she's handled. Recommend checking it out. Though you'll need to finish Part 4 and 5 first.
Agreed. It's kind of weird that in the following Jojo arc the lead woman goes back to fanservice/object mode for the most part lol

cntr

Banned
It's a bit strange yeah, though I don't think Araki was intending it to be read as fanservice in SBR as much as he was just being weird

treading into spoiler territory to get into details,
but I suspect Hot Pants was meant to be the major heroine, not Lucy, but it ended up going that way as a side effect of the story focus on Johnny and Gyro

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Otoyomegatari ch. 60

This was pretty cute.

Also, this is apparently going on hiatus until May. Fuck me that's a wait.

Happiness ch. 22

This dude is pretty shady and Yuki ain't worth saving. Gosho is in way over her head, but considering she doesn't have anyone else to turn to ... pretty bad situation.

The Promised Neverland ch. 15

Emma letting Ray know she ain't playing around with that arm grip.

I Am A Hero ch. 243

Uh, is this more of Kengo's weird fetish shit again? What even was this chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom