• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 38

And another girl joins the inn. Though when they showed the room layout, there were two empty rooms. So I wonder when the other two girls that are after Fuyuzora will move in?

Nanashi no Asterism 5
hjxU3Bb.png
I apologise for doubting Asakura's motives. A man who appreciates black hair is truly a discerning and cultured man. ... So anyway, he did actually have a real interest in Tsukasa, but naturally that's not the full story. Meanwhile, nearly everyone else continues to keep their true feelings bottled up and then monologue about them.

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 510

I really don't care about Sting or Rogue. Looking back, that arc might be the one that ultimately lost me.
But oh well, at least the plot is moving forward.
Somewhat.

Mai Ball 7

That's a rather creative way to start your harem.

Shengar

I think it's actually different from the similar notion of the popular self-insert harem protagonist/variations thereof that have also become popular because of the gender of the characters. Often the woman who is strong and independent is not meant as a self-insert but as liberating to watch and envy but not want to be. You watch what they do and their freedom and wish you had FREEDOM like her, but not HER freedom, if that makes sense. Therefore you can project your desires on top of her desires or her freedom and strength and not directly feel weird when she falls on top of some guy's dick because you are not her.

This explains the strange juxtaposition of Japanese cultural force towards female character in general. Like Japan is not shy nor being stranger to all-female cast show or female characters, and there's hardly bollocks reason of female character do not sell. At the same time there are rampant amount of unnecessary fan-service element attached to many female characters even when it's not make sense.

In the end of the day though, I still somehow grateful of this Japan's approach to female (main) character. At the very basic level it at least make people accustomed to the idea of watching a show or reading a manga that featured a main character from the opposite gender, unlike in Western world particularly US until recent decade.

Yeah Japan always that great recipe for something but always managed to royally screw it up.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Nanatsu no Taizo Caaaaaaalled it. Also, oh boy... a training arc.

Promised Neverland Haha Emma has a dark side too. I'm so glad, her sugar attitude as a character was a little much, especially in the face of recent reveals.

Kimi ni Todoke 30-66 When I posted a few weeks ago, someone said "you mean that slow manga?" To them, I say, if by slow you mean there is a multi-chapter arc where the primary conflict is "can Sawako hold Kazehaya's hand???" Yeah its pretty slow, but it does things I love in romances constantly and the characters are all just great.

Magi 310 to current Man I love Magi! I don't know why I always drop it for a few months and come back. Maybe because this is one of those manga better read in chunks? Hmmm? Anyway, in the MHA thread i was talking about world building and how I don't think manga in general does it well. Redacting somewhat, Magi has great world building. Hands down, the best I've seen in fiction ie I can see this being a working world. It is everything I was talking about in that thread. And also god the story has gotten so weird but in such a good way! I think this might be one of the most underrated mangas, i never hear anyone singing its praises nearly enough. One of the best fantasies I could ever recommend.

TheFlow

Banned
Nanatsu no Taizo Caaaaaaalled it. Also, oh boy... a training arc.

Promised Neverland Haha Emma has a dark side too. I'm so glad, her sugar attitude as a character was a little much, especially in the face of recent reveals.

Kimi ni Todoke 30-66 When I posted a few weeks ago, someone said "you mean that slow manga?" To them, I say, if by slow you mean there is a multi-chapter arc where the primary conflict is "can Sawako hold Kazehaya's hand???" Yeah its pretty slow, but it does things I love in romances constantly and the characters are all just great.

Magi 310 to current Man I love Magi! I don't know why I always drop it for a few months and come back. Maybe because this is one of those manga better read in chunks? Hmmm? Anyway, in the MHA thread i was talking about world building and how I don't think manga in general does it well. Redacting somewhat, Magi has great world building. Hands down, the best I've seen in fiction ie I can see this being a working world. It is everything I was talking about in that thread. And also god the story has gotten so weird but in such a good way! I think this might be one of the most underrated mangas, i never hear anyone singing its praises nearly enough. One of the best fantasies I could ever recommend.
Kimi ni todoke is a manga that pays off the dedicated readers. I still recommend as a manga left read in burst not by single chapters

Thanks a lot for the dialogue about my shit guys, it's really something I've been interested in for a while but is a bit difficult to do any heavy research in as articles/essays/papers often focus on other matters in regards to characters or fan-service/there aren't many very good actual academic pieces as it's mostly blogs or whatever, which means I'd have to do a lot of shit on my own without too much back-up. That and any articles or writings in Japanese are limited to ones that are translated meaning there could be some great dialogues about this in Japan that I will just never know about.

Yo Onibarubary, I did some searching and found the article Magical Girls and Atomic Bomb Sperm: Japanese Animation in America that ran in Film Quarterly back in '95, off of JSTOR. I can't be certain but that might be what you're looking for.

YES OH AWESOME, Thank you so much for this dude. This is exactly the article I was looking for. I wasn't able to find anything other than a back issue site where I could order the magazine for $10 but it only listed the larger movie articles and so I didn't know which 95/96 issue actually had this article in it (as I was unaware of the title). This is gonna be a real big help, I'll have to read it after work.

OniBarubary: You might be interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, specifically, the sixth part, Stone Ocean.

Amusing note, I've watched Jojo anime stuff and read up on the wiki but I never read any of the Jojo manga...except for Stone Ocean. I read it a while back for the shit of it, maybe because I was intrigued by the jail aspect, and that others said it was a bit more...low-key than the other parts. Not like less ridiculous, just that the Stand powers were less super duper strong and more unique and weird.

After reading about other Jojo parts I'm not certain that's true anymore but I definitely think Jolyne is a really REALLY unique character in the continuum of Jojo.

cntr

Banned
Stands've always been more weird than powerful, yeah. Part 3's really the only exception, and even that started ending around the Egypt arc.

e: But I can sort of get where they're coming from, Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean is where the series starts going from shounen to seinen, and the tone just feels...I dunno how to describe it, but it feels more "personal" compared to the earlier parts. Nothing to do with the Stands, though.

Cosmozone

Thank you for that. I'm pretty behind to the other readers due to the delayed release schedule here, so I'm grateful for any spoilerless impressions that keep me intrigued of what's to come (as opposed to "So, X dies/lives / kills/marries/betrays Y, eh?"). I just finished the Alma Toran arc and it was a delight to see some of the foreshadowed concepts being put into place, although it felt rushed at the end. Another two months wait now. I actually love reading old reactions alongside reading the story myself, however it'd be difficult without an OT.

Zweizer

Banned
Nanashi no Asterism ch5

That's as good a reason as any for asking her out I guess.

It looks like it'll take a while before everyone gets honest with each other however.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch17

He totally deserves a statue.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch29

They sure are good at teamwork and coordination.

YES OH AWESOME, Thank you so much for this dude. This is exactly the article I was looking for. I wasn't able to find anything other than a back issue site where I could order the magazine for $10 but it only listed the larger movie articles and so I didn't know which 95/96 issue actually had this article in it (as I was unaware of the title). This is gonna be a real big help, I'll have to read it after work.

tumblr_n7co4dpJZz1twyshko5_500.gif

Guys, I unironically like Mai Ball.

Like, really really like it a lot.

I don't even care about the titties and everyone lusting after that dude's dick.

Food Wars
CxQISDnWgAApc6B.jpg:small

What? Taku better get the offer to room with Soma. How Hayama get offered first is odd.

Also was so glad Taku wasn't eliminated off panel, and based on plot he ought to have won (no way would he lose to a key antagonist again after that subaru messy writing).

I would actually want for the three eliminated to actually pack their bags. Itd really make this arc feel really intense.

I had no idea The Black Museum: The Ghost and the Lady was even a thing, let alone that it had an official English release. Bought vol 1 today when I saw it in a shop, partially because I enjoyed Springald a lot, and partially because Florence Nightingale is cute. Will wait until vol 2/2 comes out in December before I actually read it though.

mYAkzzj.jpg
OaLXWLu.jpg

7 Deadly Sins ~100

This reminds me of fairy tale but better. Enjoyed this first saga despite the fact there were no stakes at the end since nobody died.

Promised Neverland 15
CxQMIldXgAAO9sQ.jpg:large

Normans face when Ray just admits to being the traitor is the most hilarious panel.

I wonder if this will get so big that we can actually get Ray spinoff manga/LN novel. His would be the most interesting, him and his lone six year fight to figure out the plan, the sacrifices, and his emotions for Norman.

BLack Clover

Another week of waiting for a new Dorksta special move. I cant wait. The dragon was great too. Apart from Stealth Symphony we seemed to never get dragons, now we have one in BLack Clover, I like it.

Ace of Diamond Act 2 - 56

Okumura has great instincts as a catcher and also in rallying the teams spirits. He needs to become captain someday.

Also I loved how proud Sawamura looked at both Asada and Okumura.

bobohoro

Guys, I unironically like Mai Ball.

Like, really really like it a lot.

I don't even care about the titties and everyone lusting after that dude's dick.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Mai Balls 29

This can be quite heartwarming at times.
Great art, be it the football, the expressions or character designs. Charming personalities and well done interaction between the girls makes the whole cast really likeable. Even Kunimitsu plays a subdued role that doesn't push the romantic stuff too much. In the early chapters I thought the kissing/conjuring and daydreaming would get out of hand fast, but the balance is quite good actually.

Of course the thing with the fan service and frequent bath house scenes might cross the line for people. But you could argue that the easy-going dynamics of those visits add quite a bit to the relaxed and comfy feeling you get from the team.
Sure, there are ways to get the same results with other settings and more clothes on, but Mai Balls makes it pretty clear from the beginning that there will be fan service all over and is quite honest about it, without going overboard.

All in all: I like it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Just poppin' in to say Kimetsu no Yaiba is really good. Y'all should try it out. Unfortunately that means I have to start paying attention to Shonen Jump again, I guess.

Bakeneko System 2
If I'd known this manga had faux yuri I would've paid it more attention initially. It reminds me of Yamanko for one reason or another. Bakenekos are barely monster girls, but they're still better than nothing / dog girls.

I feel like a lot of humor manga has been coming out recently that is actually...you know, funny.

I'm used to "gets a smirk from me" in my Japanese humor once every 3 pages but there's a lot of stuff coming out that gets legit out loud laughs from me

Red Sprite 12

This is so good and yet doesn't show any signs of ending? The battle shots were sooooo cool!
YO!

And that first big boss looks so amazing!

It's not ending people! it's not ending!

Keep on telling yourself it ain't ending, the manga hasn't once been able to clear the bottom 3 in rankings. It doesn't have the volume sales, nor a popular enough Mangka to save its ass. The one thing that may be saving its ass for another 6 or so chapters (unless the rankings change drastically which is unlikely due to how little the manga's style and content has changed since chapter 1) is the fact that the magazine has too many open spots with only 14 filled (not including Toriko which is gone next week) at the moment and will only be doing a 2 new series for this upcoming round of new mangas.

Red Sprite 12

This is so good and yet doesn't show any signs of ending? The battle shots were sooooo cool!
YO!

And that first big boss looks so amazing!

It's not ending people! it's not ending!

Gave up reading and commenting every since it decided to go into ending soon stage. Ill miss the character designs. But it just never got as good as Stealth Symphony or Best Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom