• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Blue 13-14

Chapter 13 was really good. But chapter 14 slayed me

Holy shit that reaction face at the ending killed me.

Too good. Totally a diving manga guys.

I feel like a lot of humor manga has been coming out recently that is actually...you know, funny.

I'm used to "gets a smirk from me" in my Japanese humor once every 3 pages but there's a lot of stuff coming out that gets legit out loud laughs from me

Completely agree, and I'm really liking it since its my favorite genre to read.

Maybe we should make a good list of all the current good comedy manga.

Really liking the new Jump start MC designs, hoping it's good and if it is, that it stays.

d993b579fd9f85730cd220f9f09b0a371479147485_full.png

Shouta

Kamunagara

I started going through my collection again so I can clear up some space. I decided to give this a reread before I gave it away or tossed it.

This was Hajime Yamamura's longest manga, at 10 volumes and 1 gaiden volume before his more well-known series, Kami-sama Dolls. Much like the later, Kamunagara is set in the present day and uses a lot of Japanese mythology in its setting.

The story starts off pretty standard. A high school student goes on about his daily life until he meets the girl that just transferred in last month in the music room. She tells him a tempest is coming towards him. On his way back from school, he's attacked by a demonic dog that tries to devour him until a mystical sword materializes out of his hand that instagibs the dog, spewing its guts and flesh all over him. The girl shows up with a mirror that sucks in all the flesh and bone of the dog. She then comes up to him with tears in her eyes and hugs him saying "We finally meet again, Touma."

It sounds mundane but from there is a sort SMT-esque tale of reincarnation, Japanese mysticism, a bit of government conspiracy, and of course, tons of bloody sword fighting. When I say bloody, I mean seriously bloody and pretty gruesome to boot. It's a pretty interesting title, certainly more so than Kami-sama Dolls.

The writing is a little rough though. He packs in a lot of terminology and stuff into the volumes so it can get confusing at times if you're not carefully following. It also draws a bit of focus off the protagonists' journey as well though it's definitely in there. However, their arc and how all of the characters fit within it are really something and left me thinking a little bit about the overarching relationships and ideas.

There is one thing that really stands out for me though and that's the protagonist' teacher, Haruka Narugami. In the series, she's the strongest fighter and has some great fights throughout the manga that really display her amazing sword skills. It's a little uncommon in titles with this kind of tone and setting which makes it really refreshing to see that she's so badass. Her expression at certain points later in the manga remind me of Guts from Berserk.

Conan-san

Really liking the new Jump start MC designs, hoping it's good and if it is, that it stays.

d993b579fd9f85730cd220f9f09b0a371479147485_full.png

See the problem is I don't know if that will be good and cancelled in two months (Give RS and LR their shit, they at least looked like they were going for something) or if it will be generic (World Trigger, which I keep forgetting exists because it keeps forgetting that it's about parallel worlds and thinks it's a tourney fighter instead), boring (Even the Japanese were cussing out Souma's last battle) and last forever (I want to like you Promised Neverland but you're like three chapters over due on that Fireworks Factory visit).

Honestly, the way it's going, RWBY might have the most stable launch of any WSJD comic and that's just embarrassing.

Huh, Boruto is still going on. I remember reading the first chapter and not really liking it, especially with the art downgrade.

Kaguya sama 42
Oh, poor Hayasaka. Also makes sense that Kaguya sucks with tech, given she still had a freakin flip phone past chapters ago.

Grand Blue 16
My sides, I cant stop, another ace chapter! Aina is too adorable.

HIeRaYu.png

Dungeon Meshi 29
Fuuuuuuuuu, they just saved her. Poor Farlyn's got the worse kind of unluckiness.

pbayne

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 77

Finally, finally confession time. Thank the lord.
Mark it down if they do any bullshit, backpedaling malarky in the next chapter, im fookin out.

See the problem is I don't know if that will be good and cancelled in two months (Give RS and LR their shit, they at least looked like they were going for something) or if it will be generic (World Trigger, which I keep forgetting exists because it keeps forgetting that it's about parallel worlds and thinks it's a tourney fighter instead), boring (Even the Japanese were cussing out Souma's last battle) and last forever (I want to like you Promised Neverland but you're like three chapters over due on that Fireworks Factory visit).

Honestly, the way it's going, RWBY might have the most stable launch of any WSJD comic and that's just embarrassing.

I don't agree with this assessment at all, rwby is residentsleeper the manga, impossible to follow with largely bad art.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
March Comes In Like a Lion 104

Kiriyama the god amongst men

Fou-Lu

Promised Neverland has got me back into wanting to read manga and the Living Stone recommendation was pretty great too! Now I am on the prowl for some good seinens I may have missed.

upandaway

Flying Witch 26

This witch request thing is pretty cool. And obviously this manga would use such a concept for babysitting, hahaha. I wonder if there's any neat compensation out of it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
March Comes in Like a Lion Vol. 12

Raidou was hilarious.

This manga took on a much quirkier tone since the "Missing Father Returns" Arc since most of the chapters since then have been devoted to Akari unintentionally building up a giant reverse-harem of shogi players. And the only one she likes is the fat guy who's not really in the picture lmao

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Moaradin

Red Sprite 12

Villain had a pretty rad entrance, I must admit.

Shokugeki no Soma 191

Amazing.

My Hero Academia 115

This felt like a completely different series. In a really good way. Holy crap, this chapter was great.

gintama 612

They should know better not to put Katsura in charge of anything. Also I think underdog is too great of a title for Hasegawa at this point.

Horimiya 28 - 71

Decided to start reading manga again that I previously stopped for some reason. It was nice to get back into this. It was nice to see Hori and Miyamura's relationship grow a little. Hopefully we'll also see more of the side characters as well. I kinda like how there are more serious chapters mixed in with some hilarious ones as well.

lol. Yeah that could totally be a manga title as well.

I swear i thought this was the title of a manga.

We'd all read it and find it to be okay, DTL would complain about how Roger is really in love with his best friend Mitch which is hidden within the context of the story and we would all laugh. Then Zweizer would post a "review" of a hentai doujin of it, 4 of us will go flying to their search engines while the rest of us will just go oh you. Repeat and rinse until the horrible axed ending in 4 years.

I'd say that Zweizer and I have drastically different tastes in hentai but his tastes are pretty much "Everything" so I don't know if I can realistically stake that claim.

Fairy Tail 510

What the fuck is even going on anymore? So now all the dragon slayers knew each other their whole lives? But didn't? But tragic backstory condensed to half a page?

Like Jesus H Christ this is stuff that should have been done like 4 arcs ago. This is just tedious now, there are way too many characters who are all useless.

Just boring.

bobohoro

I'd say that Zweizer and I have drastically different tastes in hentai but his tastes are pretty much "Everything" so I don't know if I can realistically stake that claim.

I'm pretty sure there is hentai out there that even Zweizer dislikes.
We should post suggestions in this thread, the winner will probably get a permaban, the rest only two weeks.
We really shouldn't.

Tomo-chan 462

Tanabe is weak.
And so am I.

MANUELF

Banned
I'm pretty sure there is hentai out there that even Zweizer dislikes.
We should post suggestions in this thread, the winner will probably get a permaban, the rest only two weeks.
We really shouldn't.
We all know what that is, the manga that should not be named

WSJ ToC

Demon's Plan (Cover, lead color, new series)
One Piece
Black Clover
Toriko (Color, End)
Amalgam of Distortion
Haikyuu
The Promised Neverland (Color)
Samon the Summoner
My Hero Academia
Gintama
Hinomaru Zumo
Boruto (Color)
Spring Weapon No. 01
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Straighten Up!
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Saiki
Oneshot (WT replacement)
Food Wars
Red Sprite
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

52:
Ore Golasso (New series, cover, lead color)
Center color: Demon's Plan, Samon the Summoner, Kimetsu no Yaiba

World Trigger to go on hiatus, no resume date announced.

Taruranto

Seraph #51

Ever since the two leads got reunited the manga got weird. A lot has happened, but it doesn't feel like a lot happened.

Mostly because the main characters sorta feel aimless and too powerless to do anything about the conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom