• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I don't care much for Meat either, but I'd take her over the Narikiri girls, the only chapter of theirs I cared about was the spin off chapter where they go to the water park.

oh your not a Meat fan

man I wanted to troll your feelings :/

quite honestly my list of people are usually people who aren't part of the Soma Harem

I mean Alice is good, Rindo too, etc...

oh your not a Meat fan

man I wanted to troll your feelings :/

quite honestly my list of people are usually people who aren't part of the Soma Harem

I mean Alice is good, Rindo too, etc...

Who exactly are we defining as Soma's harem? Erina, Megumi, Meat, and childhood friend have all shown active interest in him, Alice, Rindo, and the other Polar Star girls have at least acknowledged Soma is attractive/passive interest.

Are we having waifu wars right now?

Anyways, ok chapter. I'm glad Alice knows that Erina was set astray by her dad and that her letters never reached Erina.
Hopefully Erina starts dishing things out soon also, instead of being a damsel in distress.

Erina turns into a monster just like her dad wants, arc finale is Soma vs Erina and Dad vs Azami leading to a Narikiri family foodgasm and realizing they were wrong and Erina fully accepts her feelings for Soma.

Erina turns into a monster just like her dad wants, arc finale is Soma vs Erina and Dad vs Azami leading to a Narikiri family foodgasm and realizing they were wrong and Erina fully accepts her feelings for Soma.
I had it pegged at Soma fighting Azami in a Shokugeki, winner gets Erina. Soma wins, marries best girl the end.

That or a Shokugeki where it's Soma vs Erina and basically the same ending :v

Arabesque

no rather WSJ adopted the strategy of having a set number of series in a rooster before expansion

their new strategy I am guessing is in order to push newer series they need to trim the fat of certain old series that are still being serialized

It's hard to say what's going on with Gintama and Nisekoi. They seem to be more cases of the mangak calling it quits and bringing the manga to a conclusion (since they seem tired/no longer have more to add to the story) cause as far as popularity goes, both are still pretty popular. Toriko seems more of a clear case of getting cut right in the middle of an arc (Area 6 being rushed into oblivion and everything that followed since) so I guess it is the one that the editorial is rushing.

It might just be that the editorial was looking into ending some manga, and Komi read the signs a year in advance and had been wrapping up ever since on his own pace, becuase he was also close to done, while Shima stumbled because he had this entire epic saga planned out and once he got the news, he started rushing.

Everything I read about Gorilla makes me think it's just him deciding to throw in the towel. He always jokes about how the final arc could start at any point when he feels like it, and here we are now.

Marche90

Shokugeki no Soma 160

I see that Alice continues on her streak of being one of the best characters in this series.

... and the most adorable at times.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
no rather WSJ adopted the strategy of having a set number of series in a rooster before expansion

their new strategy I am guessing is in order to push newer series they need to trim the fat of certain old series that are still being serialized

yeah no

heck I even forgot Meat even existed until you mentioned her

fodder status character so low the two polar star delinquent dudes are slowing getting more panel time
I think they're just ending.

Daingurse

Toriko 364

Lol, NEO is simply insane. Eating a mini-super nova, Jesus. The power-creep in this manga is just ridiculously. I find it very entertaining, and I don't see the escalation ending. Once Toriko finishes the full course, I don't have any clue how powerful he will be. Someone has to take NEO afterall! Really feels like the story is being rushed to a conclusion, but I'm enjoying the ride. The concept of appetite existing even in death is crazy too. Really just love how everything in this damn series goes back to appetite lol. Can't wait to see Jirou cut lose next chapter too! Finally time to see the Rampaging Beast!

Who exactly are we defining as Soma's harem? Erina, Megumi, Meat, and childhood friend have all shown active interest in him, Alice, Rindo, and the other Polar Star girls have at least acknowledged Soma is attractive/passive interest.

The ones with romantic feelings are the childhood friend, Meat, and Megumi, while Erina currently might be learning that she is in love with Soma but is not out right aware of it.

We can have post foodgasm emotions or scenes were comedy is in use like when the polar girls wonder if Soma would later look like his Dad but those aren't actual harem dedication since it doesn't become a goal set for those people.

Alice isn't in love with Soma that is a fact, she may joke with him but showcasing high end romantic attraction is not there.

The harem thing for me at least scuffles the characters a bit since they later do things with their character due to a love connection with Soma as well as having him as a inspiration. What I mean is that by setting a love plot point to the character then you create another bullet point for that said characters end goal that while become even less plausible when other competitors are added. It just makes the character have a loss added or a piece missing when they don't fulfill such a thing even if they did succeed with the other stuff. It makes it even more bigger since the love plot is connected to the main protagonist who by the end will likely win the main plot of the series and if done to conclusion will have a partner in the end game to relish with his/her success. Now compare this to characters that just use him as a inspiration and would lose against in in only being the top chef but not also later get a rejection in another plot device, therefore suffering a double onslaught.

In conclusion it becomes even more redundant since Erina from chapter 1 is the said love interest of the series and will 100% be with Soma because the main plot of the series wants it to be so. Making what you get is a character having extra pointless love panel time when it just delays the end result and acts like a side joke offering of the main plot.
-------------------------

Basically what I am getting at is this

• Main Plot = Top Chef + Evolving like his Pop = Growth via Partner = Erina and Soma relationship
  • Soma + Another love interest doesn't equate since part of the main Plot involves Erina (from the first chapter of Soma's Dad saying you got to have your significant other which later showed a panel of Erina, to the author putting plot pieces of them being some how connected with each arc)

Okay so your reading the series and you know this, then what is left

rivals, growth for other characters via improvement, and hurdles

bonds are formed, people get stronger, etc.... Sure they are side relationships from fellow classmates and adults which is fun to read but I just get bored with useless empty handed plot devices from it being a empty threat like that expulsion stuff over and over again to another thing that clashed with the main plot the what if love interest to Soma.

Hence why I like Megumi more then Meat since she has something more then the Soma love interest, while I feel Meat hit a wall, lost a ton of panel time, matured to her limit in her ambition and character growth (she may get stronger but she doesn't have a end goal of some sort other then Soma which is impossible).

I mean the Erina love interest only is acceptable since both Soma and Erina are evolving because of it since it is integrated to the main plot. So I can't just root for something that will go no where. It would be like me rooting for Soma's childhood friend coming out of nowhere and becoming the master chef of the series after Soma dies from a horrific cooking accident.

So I basically toss out the whole love thing and don't bother with it and what do I get other female characters like Alice, etc...

It's hard to say what's going on with Gintama and Nisekoi. They seem to be more cases of the mangak calling it quits and bringing the manga to a conclusion (since they seem tired/no longer have more to add to the story) cause as far as popularity goes, both are still pretty popular. Toriko seems more of a clear case of getting cut right in the middle of an arc (Area 6 being rushed into oblivion and everything that followed since) so I guess it is the one that the editorial is rushing.

It might just be that the editorial was looking into ending some manga, and Komi read the signs a year in advance and had been wrapping up ever since on his own pace, becuase he was also close to done, while Shima stumbled because he had this entire epic saga planned out and once he got the news, he started rushing.

Everything I read about Gorilla makes me think it's just him deciding to throw in the towel. He always jokes about how the final arc could start at any point when he feels like it, and here we are now.

I think they're just ending.

I choose bad examples but yeah who knows

Toriko is a outlier compared to those two since Toriko has a bunch of open ended stuff to conlcude.... I mean a but load relative to Gintama and then Nisekoi

mdubs

Banned
My Little Monster 13
41zkoG0ulLL.jpg

So sad to see this series end. I ca't think of another series (particularly a shojo one) with such a genuinely likeable cast of characters. I'll miss this one a lot.

Lain

Super-Conductive Brains: Parataxis

First a comment on the Italian edition: it's pretty good. See-through dust-cover that has the title and logo, while the real cover below is left as just the art. Large pages that let the art and story be as easy to read through as it is taking in all the little details shown.

The story, being a Kago work, is weird. Every chapter is self contained, with different characters as protagonists (though they all, invariably, die or come close to) but they all tell a piece of the whole story, about a world in which humans seems to have enslaved giants, or at least giant women, and use them as machinery after removing their brains and doing heavy modifications to their bodies.

It's a very surreal story in a surreal scenario and yet it feels somewhat realistic in the portrayal of the uglier part of the human race (the old mother getting sold out to scumbags by the villagers to not incur in the scumbags' anger after her son saved the village from said scumbags, to name one) and what ignorance could do, or get people to do.
Also, given the small vs giants, I'd say this is a better giants story than Attack on Titan.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki isn't exactly an open harem series. It's either Erina or the series ends without Soma ever figuring out the difference between boys and girls (50/50).

It's even more obvious than Nisekoi, where there's basically no way anyone but Chitoge could have ever really win. There's no plot if he doesn't pick Chitoge.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
No clue what it is but looks cool. I know that author, some people here posted about his one-shots before.
Supposedly a SoL series about mangaka who cook for her friend. I want to read it...

Tomo-chan 282
10pm, and they already go to bed...
Truly a good kid. Tomo is no longer pure...

Kingdom - 468
Yesss Hi Shin unit finally going to astonish everyone!

Shokugeki no Soma - 160
Alice cementing her position as best girl! Her faces are awesome as always!

Tomo-chan 282

J-JAM IT IN

Vinland Saga 126

Yooooo, his reunion with Thorkell went better than I expected but Dice-head's reaction is REALLY bad news. Best world? Thorkell joins the crew! Worst world? Thorkell joins the crew!

Things are...not going to go well.

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru 378

Oh my god the despair on Minoru's face this chapter made everything leading up to this worth it. Perfect outcome, absolutely perfect. Fucking cry, let me drink deep the tears Nana. Let me drink of your tears Minoru. Let me bask in the radiance of our king of fighting, Minami. So amazing how he went from joke character to fucking bad-ass.

Hajime no Ippo 1129

Sendo you fucking idiot.

Shouta

Shokugeki 160

Alice still the best Nakiri. Megumi and Alice, if they got a spin-off manga, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
There's still several hours left before dawn to rectify this situation Tomo. You've made it this far.

Getter Robo Devolution ch.3 - 4
So in a subversion of Musash Tomoe always having to die in the series, he is instead alive but fakes his death to fool his friends and family so he can pilot the Getter. Though I have to imagine fate will demand Musashi's life for real at some point, but for now, all three pilots are in the Getter and the plot is starting to get going now.

Engaged to the Unidentified ch.60 - 61
"Please give me your sister" is always an effective marriage proposal, no matter who you're saying it too. Certainly not to the crazed sis-con.

Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta? ch.16
The mother is quite trusting to give a copy of her daughter's room key to the future son-in-law.
Still, smooth work on Lucian's part convincing Ako to stop being a shut in.

Angry Grimace

Nisekoi spoilers are lol

Onodera confesses to Raku while he is sleeping

he is sleeping

sleeping

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom