• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think that's the first time it's ever actually happened that way :LOL

Besides Ippo I mean
I mean, this exact plot happened before when they went to the beach.

The God-Tier resolution to the plot is that Onodera and Chitoge realize they are in love with each other also and then there's legit harem ending.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nisekoi spoilers are lol

Onodera confesses to Raku while he is sleeping

he is sleeping

sleeping

lol

lol, i think she's trying to point Raku toward her direction

Shokugeki no soma 160

Oh yeah, Alice showing Erina dad who's the boss

My Hero Academia 84

Operation rescue Sasu...i mean, Bakugo begin!
Bonus chapter showing best girl life before Yuuei. Cute

Tomo-chan 282

Thats not like you Tomo. Offense is the best.

My Hero Academia 84 + extra

This is such a bad idea. Cant wait to see how they will fuck it up. Also Bakugou is still Bakugou.

The Tsuyu extra chapter was cute.

upandaway

Hero Academia

Well I don't think they'll mess this up if only because of what'll happen to them if they do. They have to be able to do it without fighting and without getting saved by All Might or they'll really get chewed out this time.

I'm thinking that Deku's really really overdue for a buff after this arc. We've had this injury problem for the whole manga so far, I feel like it's time to move on. I figured we were mostly out of that after Torino but evidently not (the only fight he did properly is Stain)

captainpat

Genshiken Nidaime chap 122

Harems would be so much better if the people writing them had any balls.

Haven't had this type of disappointment since Moyashimon.

yen press' sakuracon announcements:

Licensed:
Kiniro Mosaic
Scum's Wish
Tohyou Game
Rose Guns Days Season Two
Puella Magi Oriko Magica Sadness Prayer

Already had digitally and will now release in print:
Aoharu x Machine Gun
Today's Cerberus

Digitally:
Grim Reaper and Four Girlfriends
Little Witches Necklace

New Artbooks:
Soul Eater Soul Art 2
Black Butler Arworks 2

dramatis

It can be basically assumed "save my granddaughter" is the same thing since it requires overthrowing Azami. As for the "one guy his granddaughter hates," I'm pretty sure that Sanzubean is aware she's a hardcore tsundere/ojou-type and will hate anyone who challenges her.
I think you can think of "save my granddaughter" as meaning 'everything' because you're looking at it from the usual all-encompassing male perspective.

From my perspective it's straight up damsel in distress garbage. And it is hard to argue that it isn't bad from characterization and female perspectives. The motion of gramps going to ask Soma for help, and the act of Soma refusing—both of those actions are designed to prop Soma up even more as a great main character. The former indicates Soma has the respect of a supposedly knowledgeable old guy, and the latter action demonstrates how free-minded and unbound by 'romantic notions' Soma is. But what does it mean for gramps to not ask relatives (Alice) or known friends (Hisako) to assist his granddaughter? What does it mean for gramps to not talk to his own granddaughter himself and try to be supportive of her and her ability to make her own decisions and build her own strength to get out of the mental box her father put her in? Why is it that he asks Soma to rescue Erina, rather than tell Erina herself that she can overcome her fears and escape her father's influence?

Perhaps you can call it the conceit of a shounen story with a main male lead, so by default the almighty male patriarch of this important family has to ask the skilled and intelligent male outsider to save his delicate granddaughter who suffered under her domineering father.

There's really no problem in that portrayal at all for males, I guess.

Shouta

Holy shit, I just read that Beet the Vandel Buster is coming back after 10 years on hiatus. That makes me super happy because I really wanted to see where the manga was gonna go, lol. It's supposed start up with the April edition of Jump SQ Crown it seems.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) My Neighbor Kaede-san (One-shot) by Sunahama Nosame

oWNlArD.jpg

Guy and his stalker-ish yandere-ish neighbor have sex for his birthday. Pretty cute.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Holy shit, I just read that Beet the Vandel Buster is coming back after 10 years on hiatus. That makes me super happy because I really wanted to see where the manga was gonna go, lol. It's supposed start up with the April edition of Jump SQ Crown it seems.
2016 is the year of manga revivals.

Arabesque

[Good stuff]

I can't talk about all male perspective about Senzaemon asking Soma to save Erina, but from my perspective I find it to be a major problem.

There is absolutely the element of "Soma is great because he got the respect of the Demon Don to save his own granddaughter" in Senzaemon's request, but I hadn't considered the refusal to be meant to prop him up. I always took it that the authors realised that they couldn't proceed with what hey originally planned to happen because it wouldn't make sense for Soma to accept in the first place. Especially with the "It's him ... and all of Erina's classmates who will save her" line that Senzaemon thought of after Soma had refused. But it is certainly possible that the entire thing was meant to have Soma appear better by undercutting Erina's agency, I don't know.

But even if we were to ignore all of these issues, the problem remains that it makes no sense for Senzaemon to go and ask the one guy his granddaughter hates to help her out. I know all the awful things Erina said and did to Soma are handwaved as "she's a tsundere", but we have seen her thoughts, we seen her plans, we saw how much disdain she had towards Soma up until the end of the tournament, until she had to come to terms hat she had the wrong impression. Soma is not Erina's friend, because Erina never thought until the point Azami showed up of Soma as a friend. Just because Soma is acting cordial around her and being friendly doesn't mean Erina likes him.

The way I see it, there is no in story justification for what Senzaemon did other than the fact that the mangaka's trying as much as they can to have Erina remain relevant at this point as "Main Girl who Soma needs to get with in the end", through a mission her grandfather gave him because what else is going to make Soma be intreasted in helping Erina at this point? It explains why he never asked Alice, her cousin, Hisako, her (only) friend, Leonora or her husband, Erina's aunt of uncle, because that would make Soma not involved with Erina directly.

It also answers why Erina wasn't asked about what she wanted to do, or whether she was able to oppose Azami or his plans. It's because Erina's feeling and thoughts have always been disregarded by everyone, either in story or by the readers. To Azami she is a tool, for Senzaemon she is someone to be saved, for Soma she is this really strange girl who always tries to expel him from school so he must prove himself to be better than she says, and to many readers, Erina only is in this story because she needs to end up with Soma. There is nothing else to be done with her or her story, because she is a trophy to be won at the end.

It's unfortunate, but it's not really suprising when looking at how Erina's involvement in the manga evolved. Her role had been gradually ousted by other characters ever since the tournament started. Alice got introduced, so now we have someone of a similar level and looks being involved with Soma, Kurokiba and Akira are around so Soma now has rivals aplenty, one which is at exactly his skill level and the other well above it, Eizan is around so Erina is no longer the one plotting to expel Soma from Tootsuki, then it's time for Soma to challenger the Elite Ten but it's not going to be Erina but Kuga instead.

She lost more and more of her relevancy as the story went along because whatever role she had kept on being taken by someone else, and she was stuck as the ojou who is perceived to eventually be taught about this strange feeling known as love. It didn't matter what she thought of Soma up to then, the only thing latching her on to Soma is that she is the designated "main girl". Let alone that she is now not related to Soma's own newfound goal or what he had been doing, but it's what's left.

What gets me is that the supposed solution to get Erina and Soma to interact more is by taking away everything that made her confident and strong, and making her a mentally crippled girl who needs to hide in her room all the time because daddy might come and find her and hurt her again. Like that was the problem with her instead of her awful attitude towards one student who she didn't like.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think you can think of "save my granddaughter" as meaning 'everything' because you're looking at it from the usual all-encompassing male perspective.

From my perspective it's straight up damsel in distress garbage. And it is hard to argue that it isn't bad from characterization and female perspectives. The motion of gramps going to ask Soma for help, and the act of Soma refusing—both of those actions are designed to prop Soma up even more as a great main character. The former indicates Soma has the respect of a supposedly knowledgeable old guy, and the latter action demonstrates how free-minded and unbound by 'romantic notions' Soma is. But what does it mean for gramps to not ask relatives (Alice) or known friends (Hisako) to assist his granddaughter? What does it mean for gramps to not talk to his own granddaughter himself and try to be supportive of her and her ability to make her own decisions and build her own strength to get out of the mental box her father put her in? Why is it that he asks Soma to rescue Erina, rather than tell Erina herself that she can overcome her fears and escape her father's influence?

Perhaps you can call it the conceit of a shounen story with a main male lead, so by default the almighty male patriarch of this important family has to ask the skilled and intelligent male outsider to save his delicate granddaughter who suffered under her domineering father.

I think its a weird argument because Senzubean never actually had a need to ask Erina's actual friends to help her because neither of them needed external motivation to help Erina. In fact, both of them almost instantly teamed up to liberate Erina from the mansion once Azami took over.

dramatis

I think its a weird argument because Senzubean never actually had a need to ask Erina's actual friends to help her because neither of them needed external motivation to help Erina. In fact, both of them almost instantly teamed up to liberate Erina from the mansion once Azami took over.
You're not getting it. He didn't need to ask anyone! He could have just had a long talk with his granddaughter! It's not hard! The lady herself wouldn't need anybody to come rescue her! She could develop on her own by thinking critically about the people around her and draw from her experiences! He could have asked Alice and Hisako to look after Erina, not to save her.

But because Soma is a guy and because Erina is the love interest, she has to be "saved".

Arabesque

If he had needed to ask for someone to look after Erina, then he should've gone to her aunt and uncle. The next best thing was asking Alice or Hisako since they were people who had a very strong bond with Erina (as much as Azami tried and sabotage their relationship).

Of course he never did any of those things, cause then Soma wouldn't be involved at all.

As for Erina evolving by critically assessing her situation and actions, normally that would be the preferred path, but the way she had been presented and she is talked about makes it clear there is no intention to make her have her own development without it somehow magically leading into Soma's arms. Cause that the only role she has left :/

Detective Conan 953:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lots of stuff confirmed in this chapter, and some new information, too. So Mystery Girl/Mary is now 100% Sera/Akai's mother. And she seems to be a really good detective, too. I guess that's where her kids got it from. Also complete confirmation that they know Conan is Shinichi and met him 10 years ago. I'm really looking forward to finding out that story.

And we now know for sure that Asaka is a woman. I'm guessing that Asaka is not Rum based on the Black Organization's naming scheme for their agents, but Gin's comments do confirm that Rum was involved in the events from 17 years ago. And man, how awesome was it to see Gin and Vodka again (first time since the Mystery Train over 100 chapters ago). And given that Gin is starting to want to look into Sleeping Kogorou again, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of him in the near future. And this could wind up being a way to connect back to Kuroda, who we haven't really seen since he was introduced, but has already shown that he knows Conan is the guy behind Sleeping Kogorou.

Lately we've had so much forward momentum with the plot. I can see several possible ways for the next case to develop, but there are so many plot lines that we're almost guaranteed to get something big happening. (In before the Detective Boys go camping)

Angry Grimace

You're not getting it. He didn't need to ask anyone! He could have just had a long talk with his granddaughter! It's not hard! The lady herself wouldn't need anybody to come rescue her! She could develop on her own by thinking critically about the people around her and draw from her experiences! He could have asked Alice and Hisako to look after Erina, not to save her.

But because Soma is a guy and because Erina is the love interest, she has to be "saved".
But the entire reason why he went to Soma was because he doesn't have direct access to Erina any more. Besides, I don't know that telling the mentally abused girl to stop being mentally abused is such a great strategy. If merely being in her father's presence reverts her to a BSOD state, I don't think having a nice long talk is going to help.

Shouta

But the entire reason why he went to Soma was because he doesn't have direct access to Erina any more. Besides, I don't know that telling the mentally abused girl to stop being mentally abused is such a great strategy. If merely being in her father's presence reverts her to a BSOD state, I don't think having a nice long talk is going to help.

Right. That's actually why Senzaemon left Erina to do what she wants on the campus. Part of her treatment was getting her used to being a normal girl and she was slowly getting better because of Hisako and the others. Azami totally screws with that when he shows up though. I don't think Senzaemon talking to Erina will help all that much especially if he wants to get better overall.

He approached Soma for two reasons, I think. One is that Soma literally makes friends with everyone and has a very good circle of people around as a result. That should help tug Erina out of her father's control. The other is that Soma is the person that shakes Azami's conditioning of Erina pretty badly. Soma's cooking and attitude is pretty much the opposite of what Azami wants and when Erina tastes it, she doesn't know how to respond to it hence why she's all fucking tsun tsun, lol. The plot point of Soma's Dad's cooking having such an impact on Erina is specifically for this. Soma carries that same element to him and it's supposed to shake her up. I bet that the story between Saiba and Azami will extend to someone being allured by Saiba's cooking magnetism at some point, lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Detective Conan 953:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lots of stuff confirmed in this chapter, and some new information, too. So Mystery Girl/Mary is now 100% Sera/Akai's mother. And she seems to be a really good detective, too. I guess that's where her kids got it from. Also complete confirmation that they know Conan is Shinichi and met him 10 years ago. I'm really looking forward to finding out that story.

And we now know for sure that Asaka is a woman. I'm guessing that Asaka is not Rum based on the Black Organization's naming scheme for their agents, but Gin's comments do confirm that Rum was involved in the events from 17 years ago. And man, how awesome was it to see Gin and Vodka again (first time since the Mystery Train over 100 chapters ago). And given that Gin is starting to want to look into Sleeping Kogorou again, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of him in the near future. And this could wind up being a way to connect back to Kuroda, who we haven't really seen since he was introduced, but has already shown that he knows Conan is the guy behind Sleeping Kogorou.

Lately we've had so much forward momentum with the plot. I can see several possible ways for the next case to develop, but there are so many plot lines that we're almost guaranteed to get something big happening. (In before the Detective Boys go camping)

Yea that shit was super real.

Sera/Akai's mom was secret service from what I understood so it makes sense. Could she have been feeding Sera the solutions like Conan does with the professor?

Gin and Vodka coming straight at Kogorou is fucking crazy, that shit is gonna be real as fuck.

Angry Grimace

I just don't know that I buy into the argument that Senzu went to Soma because he was insistent that a man in particular needed to save Erina. The plot-based reason why he went to Soma seems more like it was because Soma's an outsider who doesn't defer to either Erina or Azami. I'm not saying its coincidental (he's the main character after all), but I don't think it was set up as a thinly-veiled "helpless woman must be saved by a man" scenario, either.

Expecting a teenager to turn against their own father seems like a stretch.

Yea that shit was super real.

Sera/Akai's mom was secret service from what I understood so it makes sense. Could she have been feeding Sera the solutions like Conan does with the professor?

Gin and Vodka coming straight at Kogorou is fucking crazy, that shit is gonna be real as fuck.

I think we've seen Sera thinking on the fly enough to doubt that she's getting fed information, although she's probably consulted with her mom at times.

One interesting theory that's been floating around for awhile is that Sera is secretly British (there's been a few hints here and there), so it's possible that her mom is a former MI6 agent, which would line up with the secret service type connection set up here. It's the only real way that I can see it being sensible to be hiding someone's connection to another country.

Gin and Vodka being ready to go after Kogorou should be fun. The last time they did that it set up a really amazing case, complete with Akai shooting Gin in the middle of his assassination attempt. I'd love if we got something on that level again.

He approached Soma for two reasons, I think. One is that Soma literally makes friends with everyone and has a very good circle of people around as a result. That should help tug Erina out of her father's control. The other is that Soma is the person that shakes Azami's conditioning of Erina pretty badly. Soma's cooking and attitude is pretty much the opposite of what Azami wants and when Erina tastes it, she doesn't know how to respond to it hence why she's all fucking tsun tsun, lol. The plot point of Soma's Dad's cooking having such an impact on Erina is specifically for this. Soma carries that same element to him and it's supposed to shake her up. I bet that the story between Saiba and Azami will extend to someone being allured by Saiba's cooking magnetism at some point, lol.

This is pretty much what I think as well, its going to be Soma's style vs Azami's more strict/ridged cooking style.

Also I think since Senzu knows Soma's father, and knows what kind of person he is and so on, and figures Soma is probably fairly similar. So Senzu is confident in Soma's ability to do pretty much whatever.

Arabesque

We had an arc where Soma said he is going to stop trying to become like his father and try and be his own chef. No matter what affected Erina in Saiba's cooking, Soma had been trying to distance himself from that style. He might still have elements that would shake the foundations her father put there, but if his path is going to be different from his father (because Soma said he no longer wants to go down his father's path) then wouldn't asking Jouchirou to help Erina be the thing to do? If he wanted an outsider with a cooking style that would show Erina why her father's style is not the only correct way.

It's fair to say that Senzaemon tried and got Soma, a generally well liked kid, to be friends with his granddaughter because he attracts a lot of different people around him and that would result in Erina to improve in her behaviour. Except that Erina had been openly antagonistic towards Soma and had no desire to be friends with him in the first place. The counter argument of "Senzaemon shouldn't be talking with Erina because what's that going to do" while going to an outsider who doesn't even know his granddaughter like that is going to help her instead? Over her other family members? An outsider she doesn't like?

The issue is that Senzaemon's action shows that Erina's opinion is irrelevant in what she wants to do or how she feels about her situation. Being friends with Soma might be helpful to her in the long run, but asking him directly over her family or her isn't the way to go about it, nor is Soma involved enough with Erina to warrant going to him for help in saving her.

Expecting a teenager to turn against their own father seems like a stretch.

Teenagers don't develop rebellious tendencies toward their parents?

NY Times Top Manga Sellers March 13th - 19th

*1. Goodnight Punpun Vol.1 (NEW)
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.5
*3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*5. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*6. Bleach Vol.66
*7. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.5
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.2
*9. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
10. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.8

Previous Week

*1. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.5
*3. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.5
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*6. Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Vol.8 (NEW)
*7. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.8
*8. Persona 4 Vol.1 (NEW)
*9. Bleach Vol.66
10. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2

Angry Grimace

We had an arc where Soma said he is going to stop trying to become like his father and try and be his own chef. No matter what affected Erina in Saiba's cooking, Soma had been trying to distance himself from that style. He might still have elements that would shake the foundations her father put there, but if his path is going to be different from his father (because Soma said he no longer wants to go down his father's path) then wouldn't asking Jouchirou to help Erina be the thing to do? If he wanted an outsider with a cooking style that would show Erina why her father's style is not the only correct way.

It's fair to say that Senzaemon tried and got Soma, a generally well liked kid, to be friends with his granddaughter because he attracts a lot of different people around him and that would result in Erina to improve in her behaviour. Except that Erina had been openly antagonistic towards Soma and had no desire to be friends with him in the first place. The counter argument of "Senzaemon shouldn't be talking with Erina because what's that going to do" while going to an outsider who doesn't even know his granddaughter like that is going to help her instead? Over her other family members? An outsider she doesn't like?

The issue is that Senzaemon's action shows that Erina's opinion is irrelevant in what she wants to do or how she feels about her situation. Being friends with Soma might be helpful to her in the long run, but asking him directly over her family or her isn't the way to go about it, nor is Soma involved enough with Erina to warrant going to him for help in saving her.

Teenagers don't develop rebellious tendencies toward their parents?
they don't often get their abusive parents fired no

mdubs

Banned
NY Times Top Manga Sellers March 13th - 19th

*1. Goodnight Punpun Vol.1 (NEW)
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.5
*3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*5. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*6. Bleach Vol.66
*7. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.5
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.2
*9. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
10. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.8

Previous Week

*1. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.5
*3. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.5
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*6. Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Vol.8 (NEW)
*7. Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls Vol.8
*8. Persona 4 Vol.1 (NEW)
*9. Bleach Vol.66
10. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2

NH0zEjj.gif

Vinland Saga 126

lol got to love Thorkell and his man... bloody maniacs, obsessed with fighting

anyway that two time scheming Floki just realized that Thor's son is alive

not going to be good for Thorfin in the long run

Man, I'm reading the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga and I have to say it's really tough to tell what's going on some times. Small panels full of planes that look very alike or loaded with plants and spores. Did anyone else struggle with this?

Keijo 81

Well I finally caught up. This series is absolutely insane. The first 70 chapters were pretty crazy, but they were nothing compared to what's been happening in the last few. The author somehow keeps coming up with special moves that continue to one up the previous moves on the crazy scale. Glad I read this and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom