• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

The only modern manga involving magical gender change scenarios that isn't really dumb/not blatent masturbation fodder is Shishunki Bitter Change. I'd recommend that if you like genderbending/body swap scenarios.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unbalance School Life

Oh neat, a new manga from the Kono wa Fiction whatever guy. I like his art. Even if Kono wa had the biggest non-ending ever.

Oh boy. Surely his handling of a trans character will be better than Japan normally does it. Surely.

...nope. Ugh. Doesn't help that this translation is fucking abhorrent. When people complain about Nintendo Treehouse localizations just show them this to shut them the fuck up.

That stinks. Was hoping his next series would be good.

From what I remember the ending for Kono was crap because they canned the series and he had to wrap it up somehow.

Famassu

Vinland Saga Vol. 5 & 6

Interesting change of pace. Mark of a good writer when one can make such a drastic change in.. well, pretty much everything, yet have it all be fairly logical continuation to what came before and still be captivating storytelling. That said, after a couple of volumes of fairly laidback meandering (though there certainly were some intense scenes thrown in there), I'm ready for vol. 7 to shake things up a bit again, in both larger and smaller scale.

Devilman Grimoire ch.1 - 3
Finally started reading this after finding some translations for the first few chapters. So far, this looks to be really damn good, as a reimagining of the original Devilman story similar to other recent adaptations of Go Nagai properties. While they were anime adaptations, this follows the same spirit as Shin Mazinger Z and Enma-Kun Meeramera by throwing some wrinkles in the basic set up while pulling a ton from various versions of Devilman prior to make something that has a lot of both new and old material to pick up on.

Probably the most surprising aspect about this for me is how it pulls from a major plot element of the Devilman anime, which was of a very different tone and structure than the original manga. In the manga, Akira Fudo fused with Amon and had full control of the demon's powers while gaining a hot blooded attitude as a consequence (not a bad guy, just not the meek boy he once was). Here it follows closer to the anime where it's Amon who's really in control for most of it, in fact during the following day at school after fusing, Akira goes into full on delinquent mode and starts picking fights with everyone because Amon just wants to fuck shit up badly. Though thankfully Akira has just enough restraint on Amon to keep him from devouring all his friends, but the result is such that more people show concern for Akira's change of character than they ever did in the original manga.

There are other changes like no Ryo Asuka/Lucifer, although there is a character immigrated from the anime named Himura Iwao that looks like Ryo, and Miki is even more amazing in this as she's not only still got huge guts but she believes herself to be a witch and dress like one wherever she goes. Besides those major twists in the set up, everything about this is 100% Go Nagai material, from the characters, the gore, and the crude ecchi humor. Hell, even the artist Rui Takatou does a good job of making dynamic shots and characters (the demons in particular) look strikingly close to Go's own artwork. Obviously it's not on the same fidelity as Kinutani's artwork from Amon or Strange Days, but I like it this way for the sort of reimagining that it's aiming for.

Let's just hope maybe this time Miki won't have to die near the end. Though with her constantly flaunting that she's a witch to everyone, that might be either tempting fate or ultimately end up being the thing that saves her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

I don't get why they're all flipping out over this band everyone looks too young to give a fuck about them. As far as I can tell its just some local random group.

UQ Holder

RESEARCH BREAK NOOOOOOO

Yamada and the Seven Witches

.....the glasses guy is a girl?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spirit Circle END

What an good little series. Sad to it go, glad it didn't get strung out.

lol @ Reddit believing the ending was somehow inconclusive. Did they need to see fucking to conclusively prove they got together lol?

Yamada and the Seven Witches

.....the glasses guy is a girl?

At first I thought that was a typo but wow, there was nothing stated before this chapter to make the chairperson a female character.

Pretty good chapter, guess its the ark to make her happy and stuff (also Military kid is fun to have around too, he should have been there more often, hes so excited!).

Revo

Ocha Nigosu 101

Sometimes a bit hard to remember everything that has happened.
I'm glad Funebashi looks happy at least.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Started reading this recently! Didn't realize it was so close to ending when I started. That gives me some motivation to binge it! O:
Go for it dude, you won't regret it. And you won't suffer from the damn cliffhangers like I did.

lol @ Reddit believing the ending was somehow inconclusive. Did they need to see fucking to conclusively prove they got together lol?
I was kind of hoping for babies ever after myself, but I thought what we got was pretty decisive anyway.

(Here's to hoping there's a babies ever after extra in the final volume.)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Spirit Circle- End

Good bye my favorite ongoing manga. The ending was great. Two things of note, took me a moment to realize what the beginning part was, but when i did I freaked out a little because I of the idea. Second, I teared up during that handshake and farewells.

random25

Prison School 210

You may hate on Chiyo, but she saved Kiyoshi and team on several occasions already.

And Kiyoshi gained the power of gods after resurrection.

The only modern manga involving magical gender change scenarios that isn't really dumb/not blatent masturbation fodder is Shishunki Bitter Change. I'd recommend that if you like genderbending/body swap scenarios.

I'll have to give that a look. I actually jumped the gun a bit as I didn't think this was gender swapped but just a guy who transitioned to a girl and so I was a little offended at the portrayal at first and then just vaguely offended at the "but they're all still dudes inside"

The epitome of wonderfully written and well done trans characters is still Yuureitou. God fucking damn is that manga good.

That stinks. Was hoping his next series would be good.

From what I remember the ending for Kono was crap because they canned the series and he had to wrap it up somehow.

Yeah, not blaming him entirely, but it still sucked. This new one though just...isn't doing it for me.

Alice in Borderlands 41

God DAMN that was a powerful and well written chapter.

Man, this manga can stumble sometimes but as of late it's been knocking it out of the park. Tatta's backstory and this chapter were just...so emotionally strong.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Spirit circle end
Mizukami Satoshi did it again. What a great way to end the manga. There's several plot unresolved, but i figure it's not as important as the main theme, hence why there's no explanation for it. I love how with each reincarnation, the scar and branding slowly disappear as their relationship start getting better,and finally ending with their relationship mended in present chapter. Beautiful.
Btw, Rip Nono.

Articalys

Count me in with the people sad that Spirit Circle is over now. The waits between chapters were agonizing at times, but it was all worth it in the end. Can't wait for Mizukami's next.

Zweizer

Banned
One Punch-Man ch59.3

Heroes be havin' a rough time.

Spirit Circle ch45

Aw it ended. It was a pretty fun and memorable ride. I hope there's an epilogue later.

Famassu

Bakuman Vol. 1

Decided to give Vinland Saga a break until we are closer to the release of the next volumes (whenever that is) & finally started reading the box set of Bakuman I bought because I had heard it was good & had liked the previous work of the creators.

The first volume is kind of... crap? The stuff that was about struggling with what a "responsible" life seemed to have in store for the characters vs. going through the risk of becoming a manga creator was ok & there were a couple of funny bits, but everything else surrounding that (the horrible otaku romance angle that is more reminiscent of some harem manga level crap than good writing, all the stupid crap about "being a man" & pretty much every discussion about women etc.) was seriously eye-roll worthy. I hope all that becomes better handled or we see these characters evolve past this early stupidity. Or at least that it becomes less important to the overall narrative.

Lexxism

Ace of Diamond II ch 29

Damn, Sawamura looking good. Too bad he needs to be replaced by 6th inning. And, there's no chapter next week :(

-KanColle- Shimakaze Tsumujikaze no Shoujo 1-10

Why am I reading an official manga about Shimakaze?

11-26 (END)
e2RpA4N.png
Oh yeah, I remember now. It's not unusual for me to side with the villain, but Re-Class was easily the sole redeeming feature of this story. If the traits she showed here are canon in any way then it puts another intriguing slant on the Abyssals, increasing the gulf between them and the regular ships. Aside from her, this was bland in terms of characters/plot/action and I suspect I'll forget about it pretty quickly.

Tsuiteru Kanojo ch8

They'd make a more interesting couple actually.

Ah well.
You could pair Futaba with a paving slab and they'd still make a more interesting couple than the current setup.

spiritfox

Spirit Circle (END)

Short, sharp, and sweet. Mizukami Satoshi is fast becoming one of my favorite mangaka.

Also Crunchyroll has not updated yet. What the hell Crunchyroll.

Umi no Misaki Overall Thoughts
What a strange change of art style. I didn't notice, but it's definitely jarring if you stop and look at it.

Anyway, it's actually a good romcom. You are actually invested into these characters, there are actual romance, and actual progression. The MC acts in a way that is rational, in a way that I am surprised that he actually did what I think he would do.

I recommend you check this out. At least it's better than Nisekoi.
Who am I joking, anything is better than Nisekoi.

Spirit Circle (END)

Short, sharp, and sweet. Mizukami Satoshi is fast becoming one of my favorite mangaka.

Also Crunchyroll has not updated yet. What the hell Crunchyroll.

I thought there is one more chapter? The mangaka have the tendency to finish his work with a epilogue

Jintor

iromeki girls

some yuri manga about some dance club or the other. it was okay if it was a first work but poses were not very dynamic, characters all had sameface AND almost entirely same hairstyle so it was almost impossible to keep track of everyone. some nice journeyman gaaaangst there too.

however, it does have a lot of chicks banging, so i guess it's got that going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom