• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
AKB49 ch205

Gee, such a harsh world they live in. Now they're proper rivals I guess.

Hakoiri Drops ch23

It'll always be the happiest of New Years with this bunch~

Droplet

Wao new thread.

Shimanami Tasogare 1-5
SPoVd5x.png
A boy who wants to commit suicide after his classmates discover his sexual orientation sees a woman falling from an open window, only to later meet her when he tries to get help. The woman, referred to only as Anonymous, runs a lounge where people who want to die congregate.

It's a really well drawn manga with a lot of very interesting camera angles, sometimes almost cinematic in feel. The plot so far seems to deal mostly with the difficulties queer people face both in the closet and out (and very relatably), but with a whole host of otherwise unexplored characters, I'm interested to see the direction it takes. There are a lot of interesting asides about the location, Onomichi, as well, and with all the slopes and stairs I can only imagine that this was as nice to draw as it is to look at.

Man I need to start my new years manga.

Zweizer

Banned
A Room For Two ch5

She sleeps all day and eats for two yet doesn't gain any weight. Unfair.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch23-26

You're never gonna not getting teased.

Shokugeki no Soma ch162

I predict a tie or some other out.

Zweizer

Banned
Have you read all the cute girls 4koma?

• Swap ⇔ Swap by Tomekichi: cute girls cutely swapping bodies by cutely kissing.
  • New Game! by Shotaro Tokunou: cute girls cutely developing cute video games.
  • Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu by Katsuwo: cute girl cutely overcoming her cute social anxiety.
  • Furumapura by Cool Kyoushinsha: cute girl with cute scoreboards.
  • Custom Maid by Tachitsutetsuko: cute little lady with her cute maid.
  • A Room For Two by Yukiko: cute roommates.

Revo

Toriko 366

At some point i expected toriko to come down but now i think the rollercoaster has entered into orbit.

jbug617

Banned
Soma 162

Soma is going to lose. I think we all assumed that Soma was going to save Erina from her father but I think it ends up Erina saving Soma from him.

Arabesque

Soma doesn't need saving however, since he's becoming Tsukasa's assistant not Azami's whipping boy.

Erina is improving thanks to Alice knocking sense into her head = great! Took long enough.

I must admit, the idea of Soma joining Central is interesting only because that means that Soma vs Takumi shokugeki might be plot relevant now. And that Kuga vs Tsukasa might involve Soma directly as an assistant. That the problem I had with Kurokiba's match, since even though it was a pretty good showcase of his improvement as a chef, his opponent being a scrub made it lacking somewhat.

Might even go on a limp and say that Akira or Megumi matches against Soma might be in the cards now.

Unless the challenge is interrupted.

Zweizer

Banned
My Hero Academia ch86

Hmm, I guess if All For One will get involved it's pretty likely that All Might will die.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch12

What a sleaze.

Lain

Anybody paying attention to the Kimagure Orange Road Kickstarter? They've funded one volume so far with a $119,900 stretch goal to localize the whole shebang.

I'm personally enjoying this resurgence of 80's and 90's manga/anime nostalgia on KS.

To be honest, there are way better 80-90 manga out there to publish (and I say this as someone who owns 2 different editions of the manga).
How about a Georgie! KS? Or a Tokimeki Tonight one? Or N.Y. Komachi one!
Or let's go even older, the '70ies with Haikarasan ga Tooru!

Given how fast it cleared the goal, that KS is gonna reach all stretch goals and more easily.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Soma 162
Yeah, Soma totally going to lose, and in a twist, it will be Erina and co who will save him from central hand.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 12
Blonde dude need to fuck off.

Soma 162

Soma is going to lose. I think we all assumed that Soma was going to save Erina from her father but I think it ends up Erina saving Soma from him.

If this happens a lot of people in this thread gonna look mad foolish based upon how they thought this arc would go, really want it to happen

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The best thing that could happen is that Erina takes over as the MC for ~20 chapters and Soma actually grows as a character a bit instead of being reckless and stupid all the time.

Soma 162

Ugh. UGH. Neither of those results are appealing at all, and I'm not keen on spending a month on a tie.

bokuhero 86

Oh. This mega gathering of the heroes was their real plan. RIP All Might.

Wao new thread.

Shimanami Tasogare 1-5

Wow. This sounds really interesting. Imma have to start reading it. Thanks!

So rarely is there a manga that handles LGBT issues with any sort of deftness or respect so to see there may be another one out there makes me really happy.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - New Shit

Why is Takagi the best girl that has ever been in a manga ever. Like, no fucking contest. She is the absolute best. Confident, flirty, teasing, likes the dude and is upfront about it (even though he's an idiot and sees it as teasing), never gets embarassed or shy or fall into stupid manga tropes about how a girl SHOULD act.

Goddam, Takagi for president of manga.

Assass Classclass Extra 1+2

These extras are slaying me. Drunk Korosensei bawling on assassins who frequent a bar trying to kill him is hilarious.

Soma 162

What the fuck is going on with Tsukasa's tie? It's like alive or some shit, what is it doing?

Also I still have little to no problems with this series. Other than a mis-step with Erina being all "needs to be saved" I still like Soma a ton and he's fun to watch. Don't care about Azami take over, don't care about Central Jobbers and designs, don't care about much of anything. Think it's all been good.

Bokuhero 86

The teachers being firmly behind Bakugou and Bakugou taking pride in that was pretty great. Shigaraku is still drawn extremely well to evoke a really REALLY unsettling feeling. I love how the author's art style changes so drastically for him and Stain, almost like it's a different manga. Oh man, they even got Gran Torino for the attack. It's the Whale guy from the author's other manga! Awesome! Also no Midnight =/

Soma

Koi wa Amaagari no You ni Ch. 12

hmmmmm

this is sure going places

little anxious of the places it might go but i'm still hooked on this

Arabesque

If this happens a lot of people in this thread gonna look mad foolish based upon how they thought this arc would go, really want it to happen

Given what the earlier criticism was actually about, I don't think so.

But Erina stopping being gloomy and staying in her room all the time is an improvement. Really happy with how the result of the confrontation between Alice and Azami lead to that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Xavier Woods from WWE appeared at WrestleMania cosplaying as a Saiyan Warrior.

His interview on IGN today:

IGN: So what other anime characters do you want to cosplay as? Who’s next on your bucket list?

Woods: I’m really into this anime called Food Wars. I don’t remember the name of the one that rocks the apron... Isshiki? I think it’s Isshiki. So, if I could somehow rock a PG Isshiki, then I’d be real happy!

That's right, he wants to be Naked Apron senpai on live American television.

I'll accept looking mad foolish, because I don't see Soma being on the side of central. If he becomes the 1st seat assistant, he really wont be able to do much, as he really can't fight against them. Unless it goes into some plot where he tries to change the mind of all the people in central to fight against Azami or something like that.

The best thing that could happen is that Erina takes over as the MC for ~20 chapters and Soma actually grows as a character a bit instead of being reckless and stupid all the time.

but being reckless and stupid all the time is his character.

Shokugeki no Soma 162

what is this guy thinking

I mean two things will likely happen a tie (which will be really lame since it is the first seat) or somehow the match will get cancelled and/or the 1st seat will get influenced somehow... I have a feeling Erina will get involved somehow since this chapter is showing her evolution

Angry Grimace

I'll accept looking mad foolish, because I don't see Soma being on the side of central. If he becomes the 1st seat assistant, he really wont be able to do much, as he really can't fight against them. Unless it goes into some plot where he tries to change the mind of all the people in central to fight against Azami or something like that.

but being reckless and stupid all the time is his character.

Yeah, and character development is cool. So far, there's basically no repurcussions for him doing whatever he wants.

Marche90

Shokugeki no Soma 162

Welp. I don't see this going well at all. Other than a tie or Erina breaking off the Shokugeki before it even starts, it doesn't have an easy way out.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Hero Academia 1-caught up

This is a well-done if unremarkable shounen action series that actually knows how to treat its side characters.

However, I have 2 major problems with it; Stain and Bakugou. The treatment of the former by the narrative is just super bizarre to me. He's worthy of respect because of his ideology and even has toys made of because he's popular in the greater public? The guy's an anti-establishment serial killer with a myopic view of heroism. He's not even a vigilante, as we've seen legitimately cool people being taken down by him. He's not some anti-hero or even Frank Castle, he's a lunatic. Would be like people unironically making toys of ISIS, or on a lesser scale, some school shooter or something. Maybe that's the point and it's meant as commentary on people's fascination with dark stuff that exists in reality?

Bakugou on the other hand REALLY pisses me off. Not just him, but again how the narrative treats him. Oh, he's some badass anti-hero that doesn't play by anyone's rules but his own? No, he's an arrogant fuckhead bully that encouraged his childhood friend to commit suicide. The fact Deku, someone whose meek identity was partially shaped by this asshole, sees him as a friend is total bullshit to me, and that the class in general is fine with him is similarly fucked up. Anytime anyone speaks about him positively or shows genuine concern about him, not because it's the right thing to do as he's a classmate, but because he's someone worth being concerned about is really souring me on the current arc. I'd be cool if he pulled a Sasuke, but only if the rest of the cast saw him for the villain he is even if they do so reluctantly.
I caught up this week, and this is pretty much my opinion spot-on. Though I didn't want Bokugou to go Sasuke, and it doesn't seem like he will.

Also, we only saw one instance of "normal" people admiring Stain, and that could've been kind-of teens trying to be edgy. Still off.

New York Times Top Manga Sellers March 27th - April 2nd
*1. Nichijou: My Ordinary Life Vol.1 (NEW)
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*3. Princess Jellyfish Vol.1 (NEW)
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*5. No Game No Life Vol.4
*6. Akame ga Kill! Zero Vol.1
*7. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.5
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.5
*9. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
10. One-Punch Man Vol.2

Previous Week
*1. No Game No Life Vol.4 (NEW)
*2. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*3. Goodnight Punpun Vol.1
*4. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*5. Sword Art Online: Progressive Vol.4 (NEW)
*6. Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Vol.8
*7. Noragami: Stray God Vol.12 (NEW)
*8. Akame ga Kill! Zero Vol.1 (NEW)
*9. One-Punch Man Vol.5
10. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8

New York Times Top Manga Sellers March 27th - April 2nd
*1. Nichijou: My Ordinary Life Vol.1 (NEW)
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*3. Princess Jellyfish Vol.1 (NEW)
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*5. No Game No Life Vol.4
*6. Akame ga Kill! Zero Vol.1
*7. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.5
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.5
*9. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
10. One-Punch Man Vol.2

Previous Week
*1. No Game No Life Vol.4 (NEW)
*2. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*3. Goodnight Punpun Vol.1
*4. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*5. Sword Art Online: Progressive Vol.4 (NEW)
*6. Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Vol.8
*7. Noragami: Stray God Vol.12 (NEW)
*8. Akame ga Kill! Zero Vol.1 (NEW)
*9. One-Punch Man Vol.5
10. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Vol.8

Tokyo Ghoul doing good and not even ever appearing on American TV or getting any sort of ad campaign... Word of mouth must really be inspiring people to get v1.

Dungeon Meshi 22

I really love this sort of writing. How naturally the author demonstrates the personality of each character, how it is expanded upon over time, with patience and restraint. Thing's so good that i'm actually looking forward to how kaka and kiki will be developed later, and in most titles these would be relegated to background scenery.

Gods, the most annoying thing is how she makes it look so easy. It's like she immensely enjoys working on this title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom