• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimagure Orange Road really only has nostalgia going for it since it is an even more infuriating version of Nisekoi with much worse art.

Boo...

It's kinda THE prototype for a lot of the stuff that followed, Madoka is considered the character that spawned the Tsundere, and the art while rough at the start, gets GREAT by the end of the series. I mean it is from the 1980s, but its a great example of the era, and the art just shines once Matsumoto gets into his groove. I know the Takeda designs spoiled people for it a bit though, because those were god-like.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";202276143]What are the comics with the worst "devolves into dragon ball z" storyline right now?[/QUOTE]

Toriko and Seven Deadly Sins.

SDS turned into shit INSTANTLY at Chapter 100 and has struggled to be good since Elizabeth's power reveal and Power Level bullshit, and Toriko...I dunno what happened to Toriko. Somewhere it just gave up the ghost and decided it would rather skip plot and development and just do...whatever it's doing right now.

Toriko and Seven Deadly Sins.

SDS turned into shit INSTANTLY at Chapter 100 and has struggled to be good since Elizabeth's power reveal and Power Level bullshit, and Toriko...I dunno what happened to Toriko. Somewhere it just gave up the ghost and decided it would rather skip plot and development and just do...whatever it's doing right now.

I'm totally convinced Toriko's author saw the writing on the wall and started rushing to finish the series within a year before he was cancelled.

dani_dc

Golden Kamui 21

The author is setting it up so that the prisoner that stole the gold from the Anui is going to end up being Asirpa.

Toriko was born 20 years too late, in the 80s-90s it would have had marvelous sales and recognition.

The awful anime adaptation didn't help either.

Akito

Boo...

It's kinda THE prototype for a lot of the stuff that followed, Madoka is considered the character that spawned the Tsundere, and the art while rough at the start, gets GREAT by the end of the series. I mean it is from the 1980s, but its a great example of the era, and the art just shines once Matsumoto gets into his groove. I know the Takeda designs spoiled people for it a bit though, because those were god-like.
Yeah, it's the prototype harem story where there would be nothing to tell about if the MC weren't such a spineless hack so thanks? Sure, Madoka is the perfect waifu but that only makes Kyosuke's inability to choose between her and the most annoying fictional character ever even more baffling.
Actually ther older Maison Ikkoku is better at everything KOR attempts to do and I don't even like MI that much.
KOR never had bad art, shame on all of you.
Random page from the last volume.

Yeah, it's the prototype harem story where there would be nothing to tell about if the MC weren't such a spineless hack so thanks? Sure, Madoka is the perfect waifu but that only makes Kyosuke's inability to choose between her and the most annoying fictional character ever even more baffling.
Actually ther older Maison Ikkoku is better at everything KOR attempts to do and I don't even like MI that much.

So, you don't even like MI. OK, had you said that earlier I could have saved some time. No point arguing with someone without a soul.

OLD != BAD for God's sake. In your view Osamu Tezuka must be a hack.

Country Girl 1-2

Wow. You can tell from the onset the drama in this will be heavy. And then the end of chapter 2 happens and it's already delivering.

Zweizer

Banned
So, you don't even like MI. OK, had you said that earlier I could have saved some time. No point arguing with someone without a soul.

Old doesn't mean it's good, either. I personally find the artstyle unremarkable, as opposed to, say, Adachi's.

I haven't read either KOR or Maison Ikkoku, but the criticisms Akito levied against them sound reasonable. I have yet to read anything about why KOR is such a big deal outside of the fact that "it's a classic!" which seems to be mostly fueled by nostalgia, and it doesn't seem to bring anything else to the table.

I mean, nostalgia is all and good, but you can't expect everyone to share the same sentiment, especially if they haven't experienced it the same way as you did. Not everyone can be Usobuko y'know.

dr labson

Neo Member
Vinland Saga Chapter 127

Dang, Thorfinn can't catch a break.
I really wonder what Floki is planning and how Thorfinn plan on dealing with a bunch of dudes who probably won't back off peacefully like Canute.
Also lol at Moe Thorkell

nqGfNAf.png

The Ancient Magus Bride Vol 4

In this volume some of Elias past and his relationship with his master. With those revelations, Chise learns some disturbings aspects of Elias.

Next, in a moment of reflection, Chise comes to terms with her past and how her past shapes her current self. Sad stuff.

This leads to a development in the relationship between Chise and Elias, as Chise finally asks Elias about his past, getting rid of her fear of being abandoned. On the other hand, Elias learns more about his own feelings. Both have a better understanding of each other and communicate more. Sweet stuff. Great character development.

Art is fantastic as always and the creatures desingn is top notch.

Cwarrior

Toriko was born 20 years too late, in the 80s-90s it would have had marvelous sales and recognition.

Sadly this era can't relate to manly dudes above the age of 18.

Kimagure Orange Road really only has nostalgia going for it since it is an even more infuriating version of Nisekoi with much worse art.

Kimi no iru machi(A town where you live) is know as "A town where you rage" but Kimagure Orange Road is a 1000% more rage induceing it planted the seeds of stupidity that became the love triangle genre that fueld by the main characters stupidity.

Akito

Being a product of its time doesn't make it bad hmph

I don't hate on classics cause they're old but being a product of its time doesn't give something a free pass either. Tezuka was not the most technically adept artist but he made up for it with his imaginative and distinctive style, which you definitely can't say about Matsumoto. Mitsuru Adachi and Rumiko Takahashi are also from the same era as Matsumoto and you won't see me bitching about their art.

Sadly this era can't relate to manly dudes above the age of 18.

Kimi no iru machi(A town where you live) is know as "A town where you rage" but Kimagure Orange Road is a 1000% more rage induceing it planted the seeds of stupidity that became the love triangle genre that fueld by the main characters stupidity.

The only old* protrag left in Jump is Gintoki from Gintama and that is one its way out.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't hate on classics cause they're old but being a product of its time doesn't give something a free pass either. Tezuka was not the most technically adept artist but he made up for it with his imaginative and distinctive style, which you definitely can't say about Matsumoto. Mitsuru Adachi and Rumiko Takahashi are also from the same era as Matsumoto and you won't see me bitching about their art.

I just take it as what it is, a manga of the 80s that looked average at the time that had some (not even all of them mind you) nice looking off-chapters artwork.
You'll never see me saying that it looks great or wonderful but surely you won't see me labeling its art as bad either.
Saying that KOR looks bad and Maison Ikkoku doesn't seems fair to me to be honest as they really don't look that different to each other. The argument you have made seems being influenced by the author's low pedigree compared Adachi and Takahashi rather than the quality of KOR's art itself.

Akito

I just take it as what it is, a manga of the 80s that looked average at the time that had some (not even all of them mind you) nice looking off-chapters artwork.
You'll never see me saying that it looks great or wonderful but surely you won't see me labeling its art as bad either.
Saying that KOR looks bad and Maison Ikkoku doesn't seems fair to me to be honest as they really don't look that different to each other. The argument you have made seems being influenced by the author's low pedigree compared Adachi and Takahashi rather than the quality of KOR's art itself.
KOR and MI might look similar at first glance but KOR really doesn't compare given how unnatural the character postures look, especially when movement of any kind is displayed. I might let the last volumes pass but the first two third or so are definitely lacking.

dramatis

How you guys feeling about Platina End?
Platinum End? The Death Note team new manga?

Somewhat ambivalent. It's not nearly as compelling as I wish it were, probably because the main character is pathetic and it has a Bakuman-like heroine, which is bad.

jonjonaug

Vinland Saga Chapter 127

Dang, Thorfinn can't catch a break.
I really wonder what Floki is planning and how Thorfinn plan on dealing with a bunch of dudes who probably won't back off peacefully like Canute.
Also lol at Moe Thorkell

nqGfNAf.png

Thorfinn probably just plans to run away until Floki leaves him alone. Floki won't leave him alone because Floki's a paranoid moron.

Started reading Sengoku Yokou again since new chapters are coming out and I stopped around...30 last time. So now I'm at 41 and I'm loving it but I still don't trust this Mountain God.

Old doesn't mean it's good, either. I personally find the artstyle unremarkable, as opposed to, say, Adachi's.

I haven't read either KOR or Maison Ikkoku, but the criticisms Akito levied against them sound reasonable. I have yet to read anything about why KOR is such a big deal outside of the fact that "it's a classic!" which seems to be mostly fueled by nostalgia, and it doesn't seem to bring anything else to the table.

I mean, nostalgia is all and good, but you can't expect everyone to share the same sentiment, especially if they haven't experienced it the same way as you did. Not everyone can be Usobuko y'know.

I like Kimagure Orange Road, but my affection for it is mainly due to the first anime movie, which really punches on a level above what you'd expect from the series. It even manages to make Hikaru a sympathetic figure.

How you guys feeling about Platina End?

I think its pretty amazing because I love these types of "games." Mirai is pretty amazing and cute, and I like how he is trying to do the right thing but is at least being realistic about it, he could have got up in the arena to do stuff but didnt.

I also like how the chapters are actually full of content and move the plot and none of that 23 page monthly chaper thing some other writers in JUMP SQ do...

I have a deep deep fear in my heart that no Mizukami work will ever get a proper anime adaptation.

This is indeed the darkest timeline.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Today I learned that Manhwas have way better smut than mangas.
Webtoon or normal manhwa? I try giving it a shot,trying several smut title, but still haven't find something that as good as Velvet kiss

I have a deep deep fear in my heart that no Mizukami work will ever get a proper anime adaptation.

This is indeed the darkest timeline.
I can't believe none of his work still haven't got anime adaptation. I already give up on lucifer and biscuit hammer, so here i am hoping for sengoku or spirit circle getting anime adaptation...(a an can dream)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sengoku Youko 86-89
Goddamn! I must say, this is one hell of a way to blow reader expectation. It's inline with what Senya trying to do, to settle things peacefully. Tribe of void backstory was great. They're just a group of people trying to prevent calamity due to them playing with fate, and not they must pay for it. Instead of finishing it in a spectacular full blown battle, they settle it by talking and discussing it with cat sage (about time that cat stone become useful)
Yeah, i like this.

Sengoku Youko 86-89
Goddamn! I must say, this is one hell of a way to blow reader expectation. It's inline with what Senya trying to do, to settle things peacefully. Tribe of void backstory was great. They're just a group of people trying to prevent calamity due to them playing with faith, and not they must pay for it. Instead of finishing it in a spectacular full blown battle, they settle it by talking and discussing it with cat sage (about time that cat stone become useful)
Yeah, i like this.

I wouldn't expect any less from this author, he reaaaally is a gem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom