• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You must hate him.

Boku no Hero Academia - 89

Do you people really think All Might is gonna die in this battle? To me he will not even for the sole reason we never saw him fight kinda seriously not even once... don't think he'll go out the first time...

All Might has been foreshadowing his own death since the beginning.

He wanted to pass the flame on and before his flame goes out he wanted to take care of old business.

LeleSocho

Banned
All Might has been foreshadowing his own death since the beginning.

He wanted to pass the flame on and before his flame goes out he wanted to take care of old business.

That All Might was going to die was clear since the first chapter i just think it's too soon, the character is barely characterized... (pun not intended)

im re reading one pice after a long hiatus starting with chapter one and my opinion is still the same. One piece is the perfect mainstream battle shonen manga, if you want to be successful you have to be able to emulate and improve upon it on some degree. It presents itself with the usual shonen tropes but it does it with emotion and character you wouldnt find in any shonen manga.

now long winded opinion is done, i still hate naruto
jugg-dizzy.gif

Perfect in the same sentence as one piece is very offensive. BLack Clover and World Trigger are much better than it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shokugeki no soma 165
Oh hey, Erina pose is back. Soma blow Hishoko and Erina cloth, but Tsukasa already did that with smell... yeah, Soma going to lose.

The vampire part timer 1-2

It's no Devil Part timer, but it's decent enough i guess. Lol, angel job don't have travel expense reimburse

L.O.R.D

Boruto 1

first few pages will the lol worthy villan/rival and cliche lines with Konoha (again) destroyed is amusing

pages after that is literally the Boruto movie

Also "This is my story" pages later "Again to be clear THIS IS MY STORY"

okay buddy I get it

i think he really want you to...

3684114-d.jpg

Alright i checked this out cause people were talking about it but a few pages in and wtf happened to Hinata like did she use boob shrinkage no jutsu she looks so weird how is this possible.

Her hair was better longer aswell but its aight still.

Yh im not gonna go further than 16pages

Poison Princess 1-36 (END)

It's been too long since I last read any Mitsukazu Mihara. Her manga's biggest selling point for me is usually the strong gothic ambiance, but that was largely missing from this one outside of a few character designs. Thankfully its absence was more than compensated for by the engaging story, which revolved around a really interesting premise - young girls who are raised to eat, drink and sleep poison, to gradually turn them into 'poison princesses' who cause sickness and death through close contact.

The heroine is one such princess who is sent on a botched assassination mission, consequently becoming a prisoner of the targeted kingdom. There's entertaining political shenanigans aplenty, with enough twists and turns to hold your attention, and culminating in a tragic and touching endgame. While I have a few grumblings about the setting and some of the action scenes, overall it might be my favourite work I've read from her.

Also I love her female character designs. I suspect I'd read more josei if their leads looked like this:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's be fairy tail

FT is predictable enough you can almost always tell if a character is going to do a heel-face turn - its as simple as whether the opponent is cool and/or hot. If both, its a 100% chance.

I mean, their first ultra powerful Spriggan Whatever opponent was that ultra-powerful sexy sorceress lady, who turned into Lucy's servant within like 20 chapters.

Revo

Birdmen 24

And here he was trying to keep a low profile when the enemy just comes right out into the open about it.

Hakoiri Drops 1 - 10

Well this is pleasant.
Nice lighthearted 4-koma comedy.

Tomo 322

Easy there tiger. Jun just needs to admit to himself he likes Tomo.

Naruto for a good period of time was better than anything on Jump

Yeah, that never happened.

Even at Naruto's peak, it was still not on par with One Piece or Hunter x Hunter (while it wasn't on hiatus). Not to mention a variety of other titles.

I can't think of a single period of time where Naruto was the best title in Jump. It's rare that it was even #2.

Boku no X-Men Academia 1-7

this art style is so unusually odd. The use of hard angles and shadows, can't say i've ever seen something similar to it in other manga.

Story is pretty bog-standard so far.

Jintor

the art in bokuhero is the best part. i love horikoshi's style

it's great for splash. i just wish it was a little clearer in action scenes and layout. It can get very messy because he fills everything with the same level of detail instead of naturally drawing the eye in certain directions.

Art's what i'm enjoying the most, won't lie.

Also absolutely adore how the author had to push through with All Might's design after negative feedback from...ehm... everybody. Love that both of his designs clash so intensely with the rest of the art

LeleSocho

Banned

Even at Naruto's peak, it was still not on par with One Piece or Hunter x Hunter (while it wasn't on hiatus). Not to mention a variety of other titles.

I can't think of a single period of time where Naruto was the best title in Jump. It's rare that it was even #2.

Just from the top of my head around the time OP had the superlame fishmen island and later with the other uberlame Ceasar arc Naruto was having pretty great moments like the reconciliation with Kurama and Orochimaru's Edo Tensei of the first four Hokages.

I'm sure if i was given a timetable of what happened in what manga i could give you lots of other examples when Naruto was above One Piece.

Just from the top of my head around the time OP had the superlame fishmen island and later with the other uberlame Ceasar arc Naruto was having pretty great moments like the reconciliation with Kurama and Orochimaru's Edo Tensei of the first four Hokages.

I'm sure if i was given a timetable of what happened in what manga i could give you lots of other examples when Naruto was above One Piece.

While I would agree that the Fishman Island arc was around the low point for One Piece, looking up publication dates, I think that was right around the climax of the chimera ants arc in Hunter x Hunter, and Kuroko was definitely way better than Naruto at the time, too.

I must be a weirdo or easy to please but every time someone's like "the manga has a rough start" or "it started out so generic" or "I almost dropped it at the beginning" I'm always confused and like...Boku no Hero was good from the start. It wasn't Chapter 1 AMAZING BEST MANGA EVER but it was entertaining, had funny and cool characters and powers and nice art. Like...I enjoyed it and found it a good manga from Chapter 1. It got better as it went on but it was never rote or boring.

I must be a weirdo or easy to please but every time someone's like "the manga has a rough start" or "it started out so generic" or "I almost dropped it at the beginning" I'm always confused and like...Boku no Hero was good from the start. It wasn't Chapter 1 AMAZING BEST MANGA EVER but it was entertaining, had funny and cool characters and powers and nice art. Like...I enjoyed it and found it a good manga from Chapter 1. It got better as it went on but it was never rote or boring.

It never really got its hooks into me. Whether it was the setting, the writing, or the characters. To each his own.

balgajo

Naruto is much better than One Piece imo. But HxH is godtier.
I have to say that I prefer Naruto start than HXH. Except for Hisoka obviously.

My preferences right now on jump.

BNHA >= HxH > WT > SnS > KNY >= BL

Dropped:
Nisekoi, One Piece and Bleach.

Big One

Banned

Neither of those moments (in Naruto) were great moments For them to be "great" there has to be some form of build-up or levity to them that carries them to become a great moment. In the final arc of Naruto, stuff was literally happening for the very reason that it could happen, not because it should happen. This also applies largely to Kurama's character arc as well, in which out of nowhere Kishimoto decided that the audience has to love the Nine-Tails just as much as they do the titular character by showcasing him in a more sympathetic light, despite no build up or established character arcs that made the character shift actually make any sense. Naruto as a manga series never explicitly, or implicitly shows any sort of actual character development, which is a huge problem with a series that is entirely driven by it's characters.

Lain

I find My Hero Academia to be kinda boring. I'd attribute it to the direction and the main character. After 2 volumes, I still hold the same opinion and the only reason I'm getting the third one is because I hold some curiosity over how the current events are going to end.
I find the art to be average with some interesting character ideas, but nothing to write home about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom