• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from the top of my head around the time OP had the superlame fishmen island and later with the other uberlame Ceasar arc Naruto was having pretty great moments like the reconciliation with Kurama and Orochimaru's Edo Tensei of the first four Hokages.

I'm sure if i was given a timetable of what happened in what manga i could give you lots of other examples when Naruto was above One Piece.

Every series has low points. Fishmen Island and Punk Hazard were still far, far better than most of Naruto's weak stuff, and leagues better than the atrocious final arc in Naruto. And guess what: Both the fishman island, and Naruto's god awful war final arc started at roughly the same time

For me I'd also included the Kage Summit arc, ending of Pein arc and Sauske arc finding Itachi.

At least Fishman Island arc has themes I can jive with; racism begetting racism and the horrors of extremism as well as the scene where Luffy knocks out 50,000 guys with his Haki and where he uses the Red Hawk for the first time.

Punk Hazard had the beginning of Luffy and Law's hilarious dynamic as well as the scene where Law slices the mountain range in half so that was cool.

I can't think of anything I liked from Naruto's war arc and yeah even the preceding arcs to an extent.

LeleSocho

Banned
Neither of those moments (in Naruto) were great moments For them to be "great" there has to be some form of build-up or levity to them that carries them to become a great moment. In the final arc of Naruto, stuff was literally happening for the very reason that it could happen, not because it should happen. This also applies largely to Kurama's character arc as well, in which out of nowhere Kishimoto decided that the audience has to love the Nine-Tails just as much as they do the titular character by showcasing him in a more sympathetic light, despite no build up or established character arcs that made the character shift actually make any sense. Naruto as a manga series never explicitly, or implicitly shows any sort of actual character development, which is a huge problem with a series that is entirely driven by it's characters.

Yeah sure you didn't think that part is great or whatever but they were still better than the snorefest kinda filler OP was doing at the time.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't talk. I read all of Hunter X Hunter and found it to be average at best.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 123

Oooooooooooh shit, we gettin' some PLOT up in heeeeeeeeeeeeeere!

Yeah sure you didn't think that part is great or whatever but they were still better than the snorefest kinda filler OP was doing at the time.

Fishman Island is dumb.

But the Nine Tails sudden shift from evil force of destruction to tragic victim that just wanted to be loved is far dumber.

It's completely unearned, which just makes the whole thing feel trite and it basically represented the point at which it was clear that the manga was completely off the rails.

LeleSocho

Banned
Every series has low points. Fishmen Island and Punk Hazard were still far, far better than most of Naruto's weak stuff, and leagues better than the atrocious final arc in Naruto. And guess what: Both the fishman island, and Naruto's god awful war final arc started at roughly the same time

Oh come on...
I mean on one side you have Naruto coming to a solution to his childhood problems, All the Kages of every era battling each other and more, Sasuke learning the truth about Itachi from his brother himself and the real relationship with him and his family, Hashirama and Madara's story, reunion of Team 7 etc.
While on the other side you have a filler arc with a filler enemy born only to show Luffy's vulcanization with all that dumbery on Shirahoshi being Poseidon and then Punk Hazard that it was (is still?) the prelude of something that overstayed its welcome for a looong time (Dressrosa and potentially what it's still happening).

Fishman Island is dumb.

But the Nine Tails sudden shift from evil force of destruction to tragic victim that just wanted to be loved is far dumber.

It's completely unearned, which just makes the whole thing feel trite and it basically represented the point at which it was clear that the manga was completely off the rails.

As if that was the only thing that happened during that time, and again this was only an example... here's another, I don't remember what was happening in Naruto during Amazon Lily but it has high chance of being better than that.

It's ok to not like Naruto and thinking that OP is overall a much better series but you got to give credit where credit is due.

Oh come on...
I mean on one side you have Naruto coming to a solution to his childhood problems, All the Kages of every era battling each other and more, Sasuke learning the truth about Itachi and the real relationship with him and his family, Hashirama and Madara's story, reunion of Team 7 etc.
While on the other side you have a filler arc with a filler enemy born only to show Luffy's vulcanization with all that dumbery on Shirahoshi being Poseidon and then Punk Hazard that it was (is still?) the prelude of something that overstayed its welcome for a looong time (Dressrosa and potentially what it's still happening).

The truth about Itachi was stupid and awful. Hashirama and Madara's story was stupid, awful, and completely extraneous. The action in the war was largely incomprehensible due to overly chaotic and messy art. And that's ignoring stuff like the retconning of Gaara's backstory that completely misses the point and turns what was a tragedy into an incredibly stupid and easily avoidable misunderstanding, or FUCKING KAGUYA, or the pointless revival of characters who had already gotten closure because Kishi realized he had been too hasty in killing off all the villains

As if that was the only thing that happened during that time, and again this was only an example... here's another, I don't remember what was happening in Naruto during Amazon Lily but it has high chance of being better than that.

It's ok to not like Naruto and thinking that OP is overall a much better series but you got to give credit where credit is due.

I give Naruto credit where it's due. Part 1 was generally very good, especially from the latter half of the Chuunin Exam onwards.

The first arc of Part 2 was great. Shikamaru's arc was great. Most of the Pain arc was pretty good.

The War arc, although promising at the start, quickly devolved into a piece of shit. And not just any piece of shit, but the kind where it winds up stinking up the bathroom, you have to use a bunch of paper to wipe, and then you forget how big it was so the toilet gets clogged and you freak out because you've forgotten where the plunger is.

The whole "Kurama" thing was a moment of rot, but by the time the Hokages came back, right on the heels of Kabuto's downright lame ending, you just had to realize that the series was now shit. And by the time Sasuke was saying he wanted to become Hokage, well, at that point all you could do was laugh and weep at the 10 years of your life you had spent on the manga.

I give Naruto credit where it's due. Part 1 was generally very good, especially from the latter half of the Chuunin Exam onwards.

The first arc of Part 2 was great. Shikamaru's arc was great. Most of the Pain arc was pretty good.

The War arc, although promising at the start, quickly devolved into a piece of shit. And not just any piece of shit, but the kind where it winds up stinking up the bathroom, you have to use a bunch of paper to wipe, and then you forget how big it was so the toilet gets clogged and you freak out because you've forgotten where the plunger is.

The whole "Kurama" thing was a moment of rot, but by the time the Hokages came back, right on the heels of Kabuto's downright lame ending, you just had to realize that the series was now shit. And by the time Sasuke was saying he wanted to become Hokage, well, at that point all you could do was laugh and weep at the 10 years of your life you had spent on the manga.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Naruto as well. I used to be a huge fan, and for a long time I even tried hard to convince myself that the flaws of the series didn't exist as it had begun it's decline, until the end of the Pain invasion arc fucking broke me

LeleSocho

Banned
The truth about Itachi was stupid and awful. Hashirama and Madara's story was stupid, awful, and completely extraneous. The action in the war was largely incomprehensible due to overly chaotic and messy art. And that's ignoring stuff like the retconning of Gaara's backstory that completely misses the point and turns what was a tragedy into an incredibly stupid and easily avoidable misunderstanding, or FUCKING KAGUYA, or the pointless revival of characters who had already gotten closure because Kishi realized he had been too hasty in killing off all the villains

Action in the fourth big war was messy and incomprehensible but One Piece's action in the last 8-10 years is completely a-ok.
Okie dokie i think i'm done here... let's just agree that we disagree.

MANUELF

Banned

Oh come on...
I mean on one side you have Naruto coming to a solution to his childhood problems, All the Kages of every era battling each other and more, Sasuke learning the truth about Itachi from his brother himself and the real relationship with him and his family, Hashirama and Madara's story, reunion of Team 7 etc.

And One Piece is better because all of that only worked to make all of Naruto characters worse, the story incomprehensible and the powers stupid

Erigu

Pretty much. Yes, it's "important stuff", but it's really poorly written, sooo...

TheFlow

Banned
The 4th ninja war started off great. It was when they started to pull a bleach when it came to powers and villains is when things got messy.

Ending fight was also legit and well drawn out.

Not sure why this becoming a naruto vs one piece fight when the main discussion was on boruto's first chapter

Edit: some of yah bashing naruto are straight up hypocrites. Worst of one piece still better than naruto!? U wut mate o_O

TheFlow

Banned
Soon!
Cho6O1sVAAAc1fb.jpg:large
Lawd have mercy. haikyuu delivers when it comes to spreads

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh come on...

If you don't remember then it clearly wasn't better. The only good part of Ninja War arc is Gai. It was very contrieved in a lets ressurect almost every mildly important person for this big war but that part was legit.

Overall preferred the Whitebeard war arc mostly because it had more memorable defining features, whitebeard's development and whole character arc, introspective into Ac's life and development, and the complete deconstruction of Luffy's character up till that point and the reckless life he had, leading to total failure and mental breakdown.

Naruto's development up to and during the war arc didn't feel as earned and was honestly quite trite.

Ugh if only Tomo chapters came out early

Ugh if only Tomo chapters came out with more then one chapter

Ugh if only everything was just non stop Tomo chapters

LeleSocho

Banned
If you remember Amazon Lilly as a distinct arc but you have no idea what was going on during Naruto at the time, then whatever was happening during that time wasn't even memorable to you. So your assertion it was better makes little sense. If it was better you would have remembered it.

What? That makes absolutely no sense.
I can remember every Naruto arc just like i can remember every OnePiece/HxH/Toriko/whatever arc i just don't have the temporal awareness of what was happening in other manga during one of these arcs how does that effects in any way the quality of said arcs?
I don't remember what happened in One Piece when Deidara was fighting Sasuke, that doesn't make what was on One Piece less good or less memorable
I don't remember what happened in Naruto when Toriko was fighting Starjun, that doesn't make what was on Naruto less good or less memorable

If you can then chapeau, it means i'm dumb as a rock.

Sekai Oni 83

No, Kaito!!!

Well that fucking sucks. Never thought I'd see a manga where a junkie is among the most likable characters. Japan is really weird about drugs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What? That makes absolutely no sense.
I can remember every Naruto arc just like i can remember every OnePiece/HxH/Toriko/whatever arc i just don't have the temporal awareness of what was happening in other manga during one of these arcs how does that effects in any way the quality of said arcs?
I don't remember what happened in One Piece when Deidara was fighting Sasuke, that doesn't make what was on One Piece less good or less memorable
I don't remember what happened in Naruto when Toriko was fighting Starjun, that doesn't make what was on Naruto less good or less memorable

If you can then chapeau, it means i'm dumb as a rock.

I normaly read them simulatenously (since they tend to come out the same day) so I can normally tell roughly what arcs where happening between the big 3. It helps that they tend to have massive arcs so your given a pretty big range to work with.

Jitsu wa watashi wa 123

Lol, those two first panels alone are hilarious. But holy shit Shima is pathetic. I almost feel sorry for him. almost.

On the other hand, this new plot is quite interesting.

Sekai Oni 83

No, Kaito!!!

Well that fucking sucks. Never thought I'd see a manga where a junkie is among the most likable characters. Japan is really weird about drugs.

Yyyyyyyyyyyup.

Dude went out like a fucking boss. Had such a great, wonderful backstory and he wasn't a stereotypical gay guy either. Also was the only one to fight using light. Just a wonderful character.

Get ready for some shit. There are two moments in this manga, a very great manga, that are head and shoulders above and some of the greatest writing/panling/whatever I've seen in a manga. Get prepared for them because they involve the same character.

Sekai Oni 91

This series has some damn powerful art in intense moments. It's like almost always the perfect timing for a detailed page spread. I'm honestly having trouble thinking of a series that pull it off better than this in terms of consistency.

Provided they don't fuck up the ending, I think this series is probably going into my top 20.

Laz-E-Boy

Boruto is already off to a decent start by
killing off Naruto
. That plus Kishimoto not writing it gives the series a decent future. If Boruto:

-focuses on the intriguing world that Kishimoto threw away in favor of poorly writing two main characters as destined reincarnated demi gods (can potentially explore the smaller villages that most likely aren't as prosperous as the major villages, or normal citizens who aren't ninjas and how they currently feel. I know I'd be freaked out a lil about ninjas after some maniacs damn near took over the world years ago. Or the Daimyo who were so useless in Naruto I dunno why Kishimoto bothered to create them)

-has competently written female characters who's entire existence doesn't revolve around men (romantic or not)

-keeps the powers grounded and doesn't turn into a DBZ clone (throw in some anti chakra/jutsu tech that can potentially nullify all chakra based moves or something I dunno)

-keeps side characters relevant and doesn't ignore them just to give them very brief scenes at the end of the series

-has a cast of villains where 90% don't have a run of the mill tragic backstory so they can be talk no jutsued

then the series will be far better than Naruto ever was...but Kishimoto is supervising the series from what I've heard so I have very low expectations.

Criminale! 7-8
Hitmen need to be able to resist all forms of psychological torture, so it's probably a good thing she's considering a career change. I'm not sure how much to read into the blushing + death threats combo since it feels almost par for the course.

SalvaPot

Everyone is talking about the greatest Shonen Jump arcs and no one is mentioning the insanely good last few years Gintama is having, everything since the Shogun Assassination arc has been insane with the amount of twists and character development it had.

I dropped Naruto right around when Neji died, it was such a bullshit dead that I just couldn't take it seriously anymore, and the series was trying my patience way before this, I think they started to lose me when Itachi died and Sasuke somehow saw that as his excuse, it made no sense to me back then.

One Piece problem with Fishman Island was that it dragged a lot week by week, but when I gave it another read on the volumes it feels much better. The current arc is Top Tier, so all is good.

And yes HxH is so fucking good Togashi could submit stickfigures with the names of the characters instead of eyes and we would still consider it the best thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom