• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I remember that, but (given that it was a secret) that seems like a pretty shitty explanation to treat the son of the former Hokage as an outsider.
It's been a long time since I peaked into a Naruto chapter, so I honestly don't remember.
I thought it was known to everyone but him. But then Kishimoto doesn't come off as the most consistent writer out there so who knows.

smurfx

get some go again
one piece

i was afraid the flashback would take up the whole chapter but we ended up getting the results of the franky and usopp fights too. looks like operation SOP is successful and now we will see the results of people getting their memory back. the people watching the fights in the colosseum will probably go nuts.

Erigu

Naruto
I'm guessing that
Sasuke is the reincarnation of the other brother?
Oh wow, parallels. In Naruto. That's novel.
I guess we should be thankful that there's no girl to complete the triangle. Well, not yet, anyway.

I thought it was known to everyone but him. But then Kishimoto doesn't come off as the most consistent writer out there so who knows.
The explanation that was given was that it would be too dangerous for him if people were to learn that he was the Fourth Hokage's son (volume 47, episode 440).
Never mind about Konohamaru.
Never mind how people apparently quickly found out about Naruto's other secret, that is to say his connection to the Nine Tails, and gave him hell because of that.
Never mind how he got to keep his "Uzumaki" name, which should be fairly recognizable (they have the clan's crest on their uniforms) and narrow things down quite a bit (not that many survivors, but there was... yeah, the Hokage's wife... who was pregnant back when he would have been born, come to think of it!).
Heh.

The explanation that was given was that it would be too dangerous for him if people were to learn that he was the Fourth Hokage's son (volume 47, episode 440).
Never mind about Konohamaru.
Never mind how people apparently quickly found out about Naruto's other secret, that is to say his connection to the Nine Tails, and gave him hell because of that.
Never mind how he got to keep his "Uzumaki" name, which should be fairly recognizable (they have the clan's crest on their uniforms) and narrow things down quite a bit (not that many survivors, but there was... yeah, the Hokage's wife... who was pregnant back when he would have been born, come to think of it!).
Heh.

Well to be fair, Naruto is a manga for 9 year olds right?
Teaching them at a young age that abusive significant others will totally change and love you again, or something.

Stulaw

One Piece
Well that's one way to scare someone to the point of fainting (and frothing at the mouth). I wonder if the toys will turn back now.

Bleach
So all Kenpachi has to do is give him lots to imagine. I wonder if he'll imagine himself dying through the fear of Kenpachi killing him.

neoanarch

NORAGAMI 30

OH YES. Now this is what I call an intresting development.

oh is it Wednesday? I can't remember the last time I read OP. Is Luffy any closer to fighting Flamingo?

mjontrix

Bleach
So all Kenpachi has to do is give him lots to imagine. I wonder if he'll imagine himself dying through the fear of Kenpachi killing him.

That's exactly how he's going to die.

His Vollstandig will probably circumvent his imagining limit somehow. Kenpachi's taking the eyepatch off by the end of this fight - or releasing Shikai (I think it's too early for that htough).

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece

2398516-2676794526-poqbkl7.gif

Glad they got through this rather quickly, next chapter will be fun.

Hopefully we'll get a real fight since Oda likes to skip over every fight these days.
Yeah kind of shit to see franky lost without knowing what happened

One Piece

"My tin hands can't even feel the warmth of your dying body"

Dang some dark Toy story

Naruto

The Save speaking slang cracked me up

Bleach

Imagination kid is really annoying

upandaway

One Piece

That flashback was pretty sad. Then I couldn't stop laughing at the final page. What a contrast, haha.
That's about the craziest conclusion I could think of to that fight.

I'm blown away that Franky's in pieces without even doing anything to the enemy. Does "stalling for time" in his head mean "taking hits for as long as possible without touching the enemy"? Couldn't he at least take a sub-captain out or something? And it was off screen too..

The fact all of these fights are either non-fights or off-screen beatdowns leads me to believe that the saga might extend into another arc. There's a lot this setup has in common with Water7.

RagnarokX

One Piece

I'm disappointed Usopp didn't finally come through. I thought despite his personality he was a good match for that fight since he's a long-distance fighter but instead he ended up winning by the enemy knocking themselves out.

Looks like the buildup for the Strawhats' fleet is continuing. Now all of important characters from the coliseum are pledging their loyalty.

Bleach

I was a bit more interested in the issue the other members of the squad brought up in their lack of being able to detect kenpachi's presence before the wall went up and such. Oh well next week for sure.

Durarara!! Red, White, and Black
Imagining his voice for the final few moments of this as he thought over the events and their relationship especially his page of just laughing brought back so many of the wonderful series from the franchise. Really hyped for the next anime for it. Kida and Izaya are the true stars.

Kabuto

One Piece
Kyros' story ;_;
Next few chapters could be some of the most epic of OP. All of those Colosseum fighters/citizens from the past ten years, Robin, and Kyros are going to be human again. Gonna be epic

Naruto
Didn't we know most of this stuff already from Madara? I guess it's cool we actually learned their names tho and we now know Naruto/Sasuke are reincarnates of the Sage's sons.

Bleach
Why couldn't the Squad 11 members detect Kenpachi before he was on the platform? I personally love this fight, but I love any of Kenpachi's fights.

Erigu

Naruto
Didn't we know most of this stuff already from Madara? I guess it's cool we actually learned their names tho and we now know Naruto/Sasuke are reincarnates of the Sage's sons.
Hey, the guy didn't say anything about Sasuke! Maybe it's Tenten!

I remember that, but (given that it was a secret) that seems like a pretty shitty explanation to treat the son of the former Hokage as an outsider.
It's been a long time since I peaked into a Naruto chapter, so I honestly don't remember.

I chalk it up to a retcon. In the pilot chapter, he was literally the fox sealed as a human, which explains the hostility. Chapter 2, that was changed to it being sealed in him instead.

Now? Given all we know about his background, and the world background, it makes no sense. Bijou hosts were nothing new, everyone had them, and Konoha had two in the past related to a Kage (wives) and now the son of one. This shouldn't have even phased them.

One simply would not treat your village's ultimate trump card and child of a Kage like what they did.

One Piece:
So who is gonna join the Strawhats? Rebecca? Kyros?
Its not going to happen but Kyros joining up would be spectacular

He is older (with the exception of Brook) and waaaaaaay more mature/non fashion crazed/down to earth then the rest of the crew

Would bring more uniqueness to the crew

Not going to happen though... The guy needs to rule the army

Naruto

The SOT6P seems like a generally cool guy. Naruto's gonna get the Rinnegan lol.

He'll get something, hopefully it's not something silly like entrusting hope or some bullshit. The sage did say he'll entrust him with something.

I bet he had met with Madara before he died and awakened the Rinnegan. There is a reason why Madara knows all these things.

I think Kishi have been playing Xenogears lately. Reincarnations, meeting with a god like figure, and predecessors reacting differently.

Yado

Naruto
I'm going to assume this reincarnation stuff has something to do with whoever it is standing over Sasuke's body?

Bleach
Can't wait for this fight to be over.

ffdgh

One Piece

Grim flashback is grim. Well usopp did keep his word and that spicy grape did it job...just not exactly as intended XD.

Looks like Illegal Rare is failing. Hope it becomes another cushion for Soul Catcher(s). Rather than them keep Illegal Rare around mercifully.

Haikyu!! (Cover, Lead Color)
One Piece
Assassination Classroom
Toriko
Kuroko no Basket
Naruto
Eikyu Fumetsu Devil Point (Center color, oneshot by author of Sket Dance)
Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
World Trigger
Stealth Symphony
Tokyo Wonder Boys
Shokugeki no Soma (Center color)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari
Gintama
Bleach
iShojo
Illegal Rare
Soul Catcher(s)
Nisekoi
Kochikame
Iron Knight (End)

Issue 19:
Cover - Haikyu!!
Lead color - Naruto
Center Color - Saiki Kusuo no PSInan, Haikyu!! (31 pages)
Oneshot - Nemuri Netaro Arawaru!! (Author of Reborn!, center color, 54 pages)

The writer must not have even had a Nura fandom to gather some votes for the series to land in the bottom five now. Cant imagine it would rise considering how dull second and third chapters.

At least our goddess of shonen action manga is back (Akira Amano) and more Haikyuu!!

robox

what the hell usopp. is that supposed to be an attack?
grasping victory from the jaws of defeat
is he gonna die now? his monster island training going to help him pull through?

the jumpy nature of flashback was confusing, but is a sacrifice for wrapping up the flashback within half a chapter... i am once again wondering if one piece would benefit from a longer form. the world is just too full of details

The writer must not have even had a Nura fandom to gather some votes for the series to land in the bottom five now. Cant imagine it would rise considering how dull second and third chapters.

At least our goddess of shonen action manga is back (Akira Amano) and more Haikyuu!!
I am mega hyped for Amano's return to Jump. Still want more elDLIVE though since she is so great with color.

Kreed

One Piece 742:

Kind of lazy on Oda's part with the handling of Ussop and disappointing at the same time since I was hoping for some character growth at least in strength, but this chapter felt like regression back to the pre 2 year time skip days. And smh @ Franky, could he at least have gotten some blows in on the lower level Doflamingo flunkies? Everyone looks perfectly fine but him.

But at the same time, I'm glad we are moving on to the counter attack, and the ending with Sugar was satisfying enough. Doflamingo's face is going to be priceless next chapter (hopefully not another Enel face) and I'm looking forward to seeing how the people react to their memories being restored. That flashback was pretty sad though. Especially Kyros losing his wife to Diamante. Doing something like that to Rebecca and Kyros, I'm kind of wondering if Oda plans on killing him, because a simple white eyed beat down/going to jail isn't enough to avenge something like that. But I'm overthinking One Piece again.

Akito

One Piece
LMFAO that twist, it got me good but somehow I wasn't surprised at all. Also Kyros is a great guy and pretty hilarious as well, can't wait to see him reunite with Rebecca, should be a tearjerker in various ways.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach

Kenpachi's men not sensing his presence until the battle began is the most important part of this chapter. Either:

A) Like Ichigo and Aizen, his reiatsu has reached "transcendent" level, and can only be felt by mooks if he purposely lowers it, or

B) He exists only in Yachiru's imagination. She willed him into existence to save her, and he said Unohana's dead because that's what healer girl (can't remember her name on my phone) was imagining/worrying about. Assuming my understanding of this guy's power is correct, at least, which it very well might not be.

789shadow

Banned
One Piece

RETURN OF THE ENERU FACE

Naruto

Words words words words words words, plus the themes of the series continuing to be shat on.

Bleach

Basically a parody of itself

Bleach

Kenpachi's men not sensing his presence until the battle began is the most important part of this chapter. Either:

A) Like Ichigo and Aizen, his reiatsu has reached "transcendent" level, and can only be felt by mooks if he purposely lowers it, or

B) He exists only in Yachiru's imagination. She willed him into existence to save her, and he said Unohana's dead because that's what healer girl (can't remember her name on my phone) was imagining/worrying about. Assuming my understanding of this guy's power is correct, at least, which it very well might not be.

Its probably a, but would love if it was b instead.

Naruto

I'm assuming the first half of the chapter was a joke that makes sense in Japanese but not in English? Second half was same shit different 2 characters

Bleach

This imagination guy reminds me of someone, can't think of who though. Pretty solid chapter if short

One Piece

Could it be next week Robin will bail out Usopp? And that flash back :'(

Kain

Naruto

Oh, the reincarnation / you remind me of / you two are just like trope that NEVER EVER EVER was used in this manga before.

One Piece

I think I literally jumped in my chair with Ussopp's face. I like how they are going to use that to create the legend of Usoland freeing the city when the only thing he did was being ugly. Kinda like Buggy and him being the hero at Marineford.

Toriko

Hahaha this guy is such a troll he's hilarious

UQ Holder

Well that was a bad ass introduction, looking forward to next weeks smack down chapter

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

It isn't a One Piece flashback without it being really damn sad. Poor Kyros...
That does explain why he has no leg as a toy.

Franky got ganged up by Senor Pink and Mach Vise, plus an entire Marine group lead by a vice-admiral. All while avoiding entering the factory so he wouldn't get the Dwarves hurt. That's why he lost.
As for Usopp, kind of disappointed that he lost, but expected too. Trebol seems a bit too strong for him. As for what happened at the end, Sugar fed him the extremely spicy grape, leading to that last page of horror. She fainted, meaning....

IT'S HAPPENING!

Toriko

An apple with one of Acacia's full course menu on it, interesting.
Chichi is a gross old Nitro, wanting clothes with women's scents on them.

dramatis

I haven't tracked this in ages, but man, Nisekoi has fallen really low. Technically it's dead last considering Iron Knight is ending and Kochikame doesn't really count. This is during anime airing too? What happened 7-8 chapters ago that merited low votes?

Who the hell uses umbrellas in winter.

What if it rains?

Well about time they mercy killed Iron Knight. Soul Catcher(s) has been trending terribly. It'll probably get knocked off along with Illegal Rare and whatever other new series is doing terribly (all of them).

I haven't tracked this in ages, but man, Nisekoi has fallen really low. Technically it's dead last considering Iron Knight is ending and Kochikame doesn't really count. This is during anime airing too? What happened 7-8 chapters ago that merited low votes?

Did all this Ruri and Shuu stuff started yet?

KingJ2002

Bleach: Well anyone else find it weird in the last chapter when kenpachi just bursts through the wall? that's a heavy amount of dues ex machina right there. I know "this is bleach!", "plot armor!", but it can't be this obvious to just introduce him so soon... especially given what he just did to unohana and there's no power boost?

With that said... i don't think that's the real kenpachi. I think with Yachiru bones turning into cookies she imagined that Kenpachi was there to take him on and save the day. So boom he's there and he's just blasting through everything thrown at him without a flinch (just like she imagines). Fast forward and now suddenly Yachiru is still there on the battlefield, her bones are just magically healed and Kenpachi is saying to not underestimate Yachiru?

this shows me two things.

1. This quincy kid power has limits. He can only imagine things within a certain area of space and he has to concentrate on what he's imagining or else things return to normal.

2. His power is a two-way street. He imagines it and you can see it... but if you believe it's real.. it becomes real... With that said the same works in reverse. If he can only effect a certain area with his power... if you're in it, you imagine something, it manifests... and he believes it's real. Then it becomes real as well... so with that said.

This battle is literally the imagination of two kids at play.

After this battle is over things will probably return to normal... but i still think those two captains are dead. Unless everything he does is undone in the end... because... it was all made up in the first place.

Naruto:

OF COURSE NARUTO MEETS THE REAL SAGE OF SIX PATHS!!!!

*facepalm*

Let's skip that.... So in hindsight... what Jiraya predicted all this time was that Naruto was the Sage's son in all these hero tales. Which is kind of wierd... then what of the first and madara? also if the sage has a brother... what happened to him? they just kind of skipped over that part like no one will notice.

Well... whatever comes of this... i suppose there will be a powerboost in the end. Decent chapter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ugh, why do I read other manga forums? Especially Arlong Park... so many people that just don't understand One Piece. Ironic isn't it?

By the way, someone did notice that Dellinger was with Senor Pink and Mach Vise when Franky got the crap beaten out of him. Meaning he had to deal with three senior Doflamingo officers and the Marines. Seems a bit outmatched.

upandaway

Ugh, why do I read other manga forums? Especially Arlong Park... so many people that just don't understand One Piece. Ironic isn't it?

By the way, someone did notice that Dellinger was with Senor Pink and Mach Vise when Franky got the crap beaten out of him. Meaning he had to deal with three senior Doflamingo officers and the Marines. Seems a bit outmatched.
Yeah but I'd expect the struggle to be emphasized a bit to justify the beating he took. The fact we got nothing means the story's not close to climaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom