• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the anime has a better shot of just showing the stuff the author is trying to explain. Because honestly I don't get some of the stuff in the magic world that was explained lol.

I thought that was the only reason to read the manga since it does explain stuff with diagrams. But I think I prefer words.

Haikyuu!! 1-100

A short guy who loses to some other genius guy's team in middle school declares war on genius guy, only to find that they're actually on the same team going into high school. The two have to get over their differences so they can combine their talents and blah blah.

I'm really surprised at how good this was. I was in a mood for some kind of action shounen and I just clicked on the first thing that had decent art that I hadn't read. I was expecting this to just be the volleyball version of Kuroko's Basketball, which I dropped fairly early on due to everyone's basketball superpowers, but this didn't seem to have much of that at all. There was definitely a good amount of what I like to call shounen commentary, where characters will be making conversation during times where it feels like they wouldn't be able to, but at least for explanations, it was surprisingly done quite well and usually didn't feel too out of place.

I also wanted to make a special note about the characters, which I found to be very natural. They're all very "hot blooded" and such, but none of them feel like they're there to fit a certain archetype. Don't get me wrong, it's all very shounen, but they're so enjoyable, and there hasn't been a single character I've found to be annoying or overly moody. This is coming from something with a huge cast, where even opposing teams and characters that aren't starters (although there are 3 or so benched characters that barely even get panel space) are unique and brimming with personality.

As an added bonus: the facial expressions are amazing.

Glad another joined team Haikyuu!! definitely does everything right that a sports series needs to do. My manga I look forward to most each week.

Definitely like Tsuki development, Yamaguchi, Hinata, Kageyama, and Suga most, and for the other teams all their characters (fukurodani, aobajosai, and nekoma)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Soma

h7MQpfQ.png

Delicious.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
SOMA.

Cue the next chapter the appearance of the line about "bento should be a menu that can be prepared and enjoyed by everyone and anyone" and how Alice's scientific dish is "out of touch" with the "spirit of bento."

upandaway

SOMA.

Cue the next chapter the appearance of the line about "bento should be a menu that can be prepared and enjoyed by everyone and anyone" and how Alice's scientific dish is "out of touch" with the "spirit of bento."
Eh, so far the manga's been great at avoiding that kind of nonsense. Things are usually pretty concrete. Banana that kinda sounds like those dudes saying One Piece will be about the journey to get there, ya'll know that won't happen.

*picks jaw up from floor*

Soma 64

Alice... man.

Anyway, think while Alice's dish was interesting, she could be setting herself up for a fall here because of the structured nature of her dish and it possibly being too out of touch with what bento should be.

Can't wait to see what Soma brings next week.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Fairy Tail

Aww man I thought Wendy and Charle were actually gonna die...then I remembered that this is Fairy Tail and no one dies except the bad guys and flashbacks.

Soma

Alice is throwing down the gauntlet. That pose from granddad was priceless. Can't wait to see her get added to the stable next week lol.

scy

Stealth Symphony 6 - In an ideal world, this is when like three cast members die. Instead, nobody will die and they'll come together somehow to fight a third thread.

703X ch 1
Bj5xdX3CYAAVe-I.png

If comic walker hadnt added it I probably would have never read just based on the covers and such alone, but wow the quizzes bowl idea and how intense it is is pretty exciting and fun. Almost makes me imagine it as a less supernatural phi brain of sorts except quizzes instead of puzzles and etc. Good art .

Assassination Classroom 83

I thought this was going to be a joke arc but then having Itona and co show up right there. The writer certainly knows how to keep us on our feet guessing at that which may happen next.

Green Worldz 17

As often is the case in these post apocalypse stories, deluded humans can be a plot point. Its alright but the plants was more interesting.

District Hakkenshi [code:T-8] 17

Hilarious way to have Youko do that attack. Seven pages of fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how Old Man Nakiri's food reactions are literal.

Shokuegeki no Soma 64

Gramps really is a great character.

Can't wait to see him interact with Joichiro and Doujima.

Gotta say when Alice asked them to eat in a certain order, I had flashes of someone yelling/giving a dubious look to her.

upandaway

Shokuegeki no Soma 64

Gramps really is a great character.

Can't wait to see him interact with Joichiro and Doujima.

Gotta say when Alice asked them to eat in a certain order, I had flashes of someone yelling/giving a dubious look to her.
Y'know about that, I don't know if anyone will take it against her at all. Sure it's bento, but the point of the school is still gourmet (that's what Erina scolded Soma for, that bentos aren't necessarily fast and simple). It's a meal like any other meal they make except it needs to be portable. A certain order of eating for best effect seems reasonable.

Y'know about that, I don't know if anyone will take it against her at all. Sure it's bento, but the point of the school is still gourmet (that's what Erina scolded Soma for, that bentos aren't necessarily fast and simple). It's a meal like any other meal they make except it needs to be portable. A certain order of eating for best effect seems reasonable.

This is where my almost nonexistent experience in gourmet cooking comes to display.

Because why I'll agree with the point your making. Years of only knowing about professional cooking from watching one too many cooking shows (Top Chef is excellent) have ingrained into me that A.) When a chef makes different types of food for one meal and B.) Ask them to eat in a certain order, it rarely ever goes well.

Oishii Otoko 6 (end)
tumblr_n37nsnXUkz1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Short but satisfying end to this short story collection. The title story a man is delicious when eating was the most memorable one while the others were entertaining and enjoyable. Nothing award winning but a good one to follow. Final story did give good moment letting them take advantage of their short remaining time together.

upandaway

Disclaimer: I made fish yesterday, they turned out
okay but I made cheese bread last week and it was terrible

Disclaimer 2: The only cooking things I watch are foodwishes and cooking with dog (and sometimes runnyrunny)

I swear Soma's old man challenged the Nakiri gramps, lost and was forced to leave.

Then Soma takes revenge by slaving his granddaughters to his food. Oh ho ho.

Soma 64

HYPE! Soma's turn next week. Can't wait to see how he can one up Alice. GO SOMA!

I thought that was the only reason to read the manga since it does explain stuff with diagrams. But I think I prefer words.

Its too complicated to put into words without seeing it happen. Manga works but I haven't read that version.

Also gaming side is hating on Dynasty Warriors... WTF is the world coming to?

Is Beam banned? I don't remember him posting in here about Bleach yet so far. Or maybe I'm going senile?

Dude was banned after (aggressively?) defending some Sony stuff over gaming side (saw his grayed out name while checking out the thread).

not sure if he's back.

Soma

One more week...

Owari no Seraph 10

How everyone learns how to drive the chapter.

Owari no Seraph 11

Death flags for the elite vampire squad that was introduced this chapter. Calling it now.

Owari no Seraph 12

Death flagsssssssssssssssss

Jesus X Dogs 2

Felt like years since an update, but the story isnt forgettable at all. He even got a collar to put on and started to stare and look in admiration at his master. Theme behind the miasma elimination is good. Also the new character at the end is amazing.
tumblr_n37ow445fi1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Charade

Soma 64

Chapters like this make me wonder how many of the crazy food ideas they get from their "collaborator," Morisaki Yuki. It seems she's more of a model/celebrity chef, but I guess that shouldn't preclude her from knowing a lot about cooking.

Though the artist/author split would also allow a lot more research to get done I think

wonzo

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 49-50

Oh my god, this author needs to start writing a horror series as soon as this is finished.

Zai x 10 16

This'd never happen in a post 9/11 world. ;-;

OPM 45

I don't remember the old guy being that ripped but that's probably due to ONE's godlike art

Mob Psycho 100 58

Damn, shit got pretty dark for a while there but at least Reigen's picked up on what Mob's problem is. What a teacher.

Hinamatsuri 29.5

FREEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At S class, everyone is fucking ripped.

(Or a loli/cyborg/fatty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom