• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Basically, the theory that you go from sharingan -> mangekyo sharingan -> eternal mangekyo -> rinnegan, which I believe was proposed by Orochimaru and/or Madara in one of the last 100 chapters or so (or maybe someone else) isn't correct.

The rinnegan comes from the sage of the 6 paths specifically, and the unification of the chakra of his descendants (Asura is the direct ancestor of the Senju clan, and a shared ancestor of the Uzumaki clan, and others, while the Uchiha clan descended from Indra, who is a shared ancestor of the uchihas and many other clans. And the uchihas, senju, uzumaki, etc, all trace back to the Sage himself. The unification of the Uchiha and Senju chakra, the main two clans which can be traced to the Sage's sons, results in the rinnegan).

The Sharingan and byakugan were both a part of his family bloodline - His mother had them (it isn't mentioned if he did or didn't). The visual jutsu of his mother did pass along to his descendants through him, though - Indra directly inherited the Sharingan. It is unknown if the Hyuga clan and the Byakugan descended from Asura or Indra, or from the sage's brother, though.

Ikezu Kareshi no Otoshikata 4
tumblr_n3ezd0TfoL1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Was depressed when he said that as they had did it at least twice every chapter and then we went to the usual separation. But thanks to the typical things that happen when characters in these manga falls sick we got three scenes in one chapter. Loved the reaction in the middle part.

Kyuur

This week, I'm going to give numbered reviews!

Bleach - ಠ_ಠ/10

Looks like Kenpachi isn't fake. Boring fight. I will most likely finish this, due to my investment, but I won't enjoy it.

Naruto - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯/10

Weak chapter overall, but saved by lore implications. Sasuke's aura being creepy like Madara's to Kurama makes perfect sense now. The eye split finally being explained. Series had always had some pretty cool lore, just not being utilized effectively. Loving how Gai is incredibly powerful in the last gate, my man.

Toriko - ヽ(´ー`)ノ/10

Damn if I don't love chapters like this, as shounen as they are. Pretty much perfectly executed transition, some cool tidbits like making a route to bring back supplies so they can buff up the Human World's protectors and establish more people in the Gourmet World (I assume this is how IGO did it in the first place, and they're just kind of re-establishing). Komatsu receiving equipment RPG style from Melk was pretty funny, disappointed there was nothing there like with Toriko and Rin... but it will come! Glad we'll finally be rid of stupid Nitro guy, didn't really like the character.

Disliked Terry's stupid looking battle armor or some shit.

One Piece - http://i.imgur.com/glhTh6x.jpg/10

Lots of great stuff in this chapter. All according to keikaku. The toys coming back was great, and seeing that there are some potentially important people in there, I wonder if we'll get some more Strawhat backers due to this adventure. Given that there are marines that were turned, this might be a turning point for Fuji's support of DF as well.

Executives seem to have gtfo from their positions to go protect Dofla, with the exception of Diamante who has his hands full at the moment. Sabo seems like he is ridiculous in strength (understandable, given the difference between Ace and Luffy, and Sabo 'left' even earlier than them). Giving us a glimpse of how a pure-Haki user like Shanks would fight I hope!

And of course I need to talk about the big point:
Doflamingo's head getting chopped off! Although I wish he was dead, I'm going to subscribe to the marionette body theory. Being able to reattach body parts ala Buggy would be too strong.

Wiseblade

One Piece
Just the level of greatness needed after having the wind knocked out of me by that last Ippo chapter. Victory for Usopp, panic in the streets and Sabo beasting in the arena.

No way is Doflamingo dead for real, nor is he a logia. The cut looks too dirty for Law's power, but doesn't look quite like flesh. I'm guessing doppelganger.

Sasuke has had free power ups from Hashirama (donated chakra), Jugo (nature chakra / pseudo sage mode), Orochimaru & Kabuto (curse seal, snake powers at times, and it is heavily implied that they used all kinds of forbidden and/or experimental PEDs to augment his physical capabilities during the timeskip), and Itachi (not only his mangekyo sharingan, but an eternal mangekyo, as well).

He's had more free power ups than Naruto. Kishimoto is like Toriyama except he's trying to be consistent (and failing) instead of just saying "Fuck it."

Ehh I'd argue the opposite actually. The emphasis is on Sasuke's eyes and his talent which is heavily referenced throughout. That one scene where Sasuke takes down a whole army and Orchimaru says something like "He's more talented than me blah blah" is an example. The Jugo chakra wasn't really a permanent powerup, more like a combo tool so that Sasuke used to damage Obito. Also, Itachi actually de-powered Sasuke when he REMOVED the curse seal, effectively separating him from Orochimaru's control (so it isn't a powerup either).

The emphasis is on the Uchiha and the Uchiha talent. Madara in the same way also received his EMS from Izuna but that doesn't mean it was a "free powerup", but it does mean that it is a permanent powerup that they achieved through their clan's prowess. Both are considered geniuses and hence, reincarnations of Indra. Look at Sasuke's age for gods sake, he's 16!

Naruto on the other hand is more debatable. I'd say he is both talented and also combines the power of his friends/bonds/whatever. He doesn't have natural talent like Sasuke's genes and eyesockets, but just like Ashura, he makes up for it putting him at the same level as Sasuke/Indra/Madara.

Raxus

Some more One Piece speculation.

The fact Bellamy came back after a similar incident with the Don makes me believe it could be a result of his powers.

upandaway

Having like ten chapters of Seitokai Yakuindomo to read means I'll never get around to catching up on Ookiku. On top of like everything else.

My backlog never stops growing.
For every post that you make, before you click reply, read a chapter of something and write about it in the post.
Did I just inadvertedly solve world hunger

789shadow

Banned
KingofLightning put forward the theory that the Doflamingo that Kyros killed might actually be a "clone" made by Pica, since he clearly left Zoro behind.

ryan13ts

One Piece:
Awesome chapter, Dressrosa is in a panic and Doflamingo looks like he's about to lose his shit completely. As far as him getting his head chopped off, either it's a string dummy or the Ito Ito no mi is a Logia fruit. Although string being an "element" would be a very dumb, it's not impossible since the only people who have clashed with Doflamingo so far have all been Haki users, explaining why any attacks done to him met with physical contact. I'm still leaning toward it being a clone so far though.

And Sabo, holy crap.

Bleach:
Enough dicking around Kubo, show us Kenpachi's shikai/bankai, you know it's what everyone's waiting for. And did Kenpachi refer to Isane as a "him"?

Toriko:
I don't know if it was really such a good idea for Yuun to go into the Ocotopus's asshole with Kiss, Quin, and Terry. I think he's going to end up being a snack for the 3 when they get hungry.

scy

For every post that you make, before you click reply, read a chapter of something and write about it in the post.

This ... changes everything.

UQ Holder 29 - RIP old man's arm. Well, uh, I guess more of him lived than expected.

scy hasn't read Otoyomegatari and dakku hasn't read Molester Man?

My world is crashing down around me.

I'm sorry ;________;

GaimeGuy

Ehh I'd argue the opposite actually. The emphasis is on Sasuke's eyes and his talent which is heavily referenced throughout. That one scene where Sasuke takes down a whole army and Orchimaru says something like "He's more talented than me blah blah" is an example. The Jugo chakra wasn't really a permanent powerup, more like a combo tool so that Sasuke used to damage Obito. Also, Itachi actually de-powered Sasuke when he REMOVED the curse seal, effectively separating him from Orochimaru's control (so it isn't a powerup either).

The emphasis is on the Uchiha and the Uchiha talent. Madara in the same way also received his EMS from Izuna but that doesn't mean it was a "free powerup", but it does mean that it is a permanent powerup that they achieved through their clan's prowess. Both are considered geniuses and hence, reincarnations of Indra. Look at Sasuke's age for gods sake, he's 16!

Naruto on the other hand is more debatable. I'd say he is both talented and also combines the power of his friends/bonds/whatever. He doesn't have natural talent like Sasuke's genes and eyesockets, but just like Ashura, he makes up for it putting him at the same level as Sasuke/Indra/Madara.

It's just that Sasuke has had free power ups to maintain pace with Naruto pretty much ever since Naruto got Sage Mode, and Sasuke's entire backstory was basically about how he had no natural talent but worked hard for the approval of his parents and brother - Also in much of part 1, at least early on, what we saw was that as talented as Sasuke was, it seemed to be because he was an incredibly hard worker, and the sense of rivalry naruto felt towards him pushed Naruto to keep pace (It's a common shonen trope). Hell, Sakura was the one who was shown to have the most "natural" talent when it comes to book studies and chakra control.

Kishimoto can never decide whether he wants Sasuke to be a genius (In contexts with Naruto/Orochimaru, typically) , a hard worker (In contexts with Itachi and Kakashi, usually), or someone endowed with the strength of his comrades (Used in the later arcs of Naruto mostly, when kishi needs to put naruto and sasuke on equal ground but he's overpowered Naruto)

Yeah, but not like I can read during work.
Don't ask why I post during work

scy hasn't read Otoyomegatari and dakku hasn't read Molester Man?

My world is crashing down around me.

It's on my to-read list. Far far away on my to-read list.

ryan13ts

Does anyone else think Doflamingo was setting himself up BIG TIME for a fail by using Suger's Hobi Hobi no mi to turn so many people into toys? Even considering he had someone strong like Trebol to protect her, common sense would have to dictate that something could happen to her directly/indirectly and cause him to be in a shitstorm of trouble. He also picked some awfully bad targets to turn too, like Government officials and marines, who could easily take him down were they to be changed back. For someone as calculating as Doflamingo, I'm shocked by how bad of an idea it was for him to user her ability so carelessly.

Also, I'm still iffy on idea concerning Devil Fruit users abilities canceling out when they "pass out". Obviously Suger has to sleep, so why would her ability stay intact when she sleeps, versus her being knocked out? I see little difference between the two, as both are states of unconsciousness.

LeleSocho

Banned
Kishimoto can never decide whether he wants Sasuke to be a genius (In contexts with Naruto/Orochimaru, typically) , a hard worker (In contexts with Itachi and Kakashi, usually), or someone endowed with the strength of his comrades

He's simply both a genius and an hard worker that takes strength from comrades and that's the difference between him and all the other Indra's incarnations.

Sweet Magic Syndrome 18-21
Giving a whole new meaning to 'cute girls eating cute sweets'.

This series continues to shave years off my life expectancy. Chocolate was so fdjhajsd in that last chapter that I think I dfjkhdskj my sjdhafgds.

Shimoneta toiu Gainen ga Sonzaishinai Taikutsu na Sekai 1
Shimoneta toiu Gainen ga Sonzaishinai Taikutsu na Sekai 1

Haven't been this dumbstruck by something in a long ass time. MUST READ
I can confirm the MUST READ part. Everyone would benefit from some sox in their life.

Mortemis

Banned
One Piece

Man, I really can't wait for the aftermath of this arc. If everything goes right and all the people that Mingo trapped went around the world preaching Usopp's name, man I can't wait to see the stories. Great Sniper of the Straw Hat pirates, the one to help topple the Shichibukai Doflamingo! Lmao it'll be awesome.

Oh, and god damn Sabo. You that OP and you want to add a logia to that?

GaimeGuy

He's simply both a genius and an hard worker that takes strength from comrades and that's the difference between him and all the other Indra's incarnations.

Right - Kishi makes him everything at once, while also trying to paint him as the "genius" archetype. He does a similar thing with Naruto. When it comes to these two, Kishimoto sucks at archetyping, but also puts the most emphasis on the archetype, as well. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. ^_^

Also, I'm still iffy on idea concerning Devil Fruit users abilities canceling out when they "pass out". Obviously Suger has to sleep, so why would her ability stay intact when she sleeps, versus her being knocked out? I see little difference between the two, as both are states of unconsciousness.

I don't think OP is going to go to deep into it but medical there is a difference between being asleep and unconsciousness .
One of the main things is when your in a unconscious state you don't react to environmental stimuli or to people .
Of course there are other aspects like NREM sleep etc etc but this shonen manga so don't think to deep about it .

Wiseblade

Sugar's ability doesn't stay intact when she's askeep. That's why Dressrosa has strict curfew and segregration laws for toys.

upandaway

Sugar's ability doesn't stay intact when she's askeep. That's why Dressrosa has strict curfew and segregration laws for toys.
I assume if it's like that, that actually knocking her out will negate the effects forever rather than until she wakes up again. Otherwise I don't even know.

Wiseblade

I assume if it's like that, that actually knocking her out will negate the effects forever rather than until she wakes up again. Otherwise I don't even know.
I thought the whole point was to use the confusion/instant riot to overthrow Doflamingo and force sugar to permanently break the curse. Having this be it feels like it's skipping a step.

NastyBook

Naruto

I have to say that I like the idea that 8gate Gai is giving Shin-Madara a workout.
Yessir. I like how he's trying to play that shit off like he's hungry for the ass whoopin Guy's giving him.
Black Republican said:
oh this minamoto kun manga is so creepily awesome, that aunt, ughhhhhhhhhhh
WTF How did I unfollow this on Batoto? I wondered why I hadn't seen any new chapters in my feed. At least I get to have fun catching up now. :D

All-Rounder Meguru
Dat April Fools chapter. :D

ElFly

Ability turning off when the user is KO but not when sleeping is really weird. I don't remember anything like it before.

I feel this is just an excuse to not have the strawhats kill a fruit user, let alone Sugar.

ffdgh

One Piece

I say hype chapter is hype.

Toys are becoming human again also I wonder did that by any chance halt their aging. Usopp is unexpectedly the hero of dress rosa like enis lobby and had planned all of this* lol liar*.Everyone is pissed at Doffy and he even turned goverment officals into toys. Maybe fujitora will switch to go to the SH's side for a bit lol. Viola and Riku now remember Kyros and now he's running....hopping on one leg cuts Doffy straight head off...he's not dead that easily >_>. Finally, Rebecca now remembers her father and Sabo has apparently be toying with everyone and decides to destroy the whole ring to get it over with lol.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.

Biorg Trinity

The art is awesome, the melding portions are creepy, but the dialog. Ugh. The dialog is like a teenager discovered a thesaurus for the first time.

Akito

Oricon Comic Rankings March 24th - March 30th

01. Kimi ni Todoke #21 (555,076 / 555,491)
02. Uchuu Kyoudai #23 (114,690 / 331,587)
03. Jojolion #6 (100,733 / 350,939)
04. Youkai Watch #3 (98,349)
05. Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsuraii!! #6 (96,350)
06. Kagerou Days #4 (83,184)
07. One Piece #73 (81,597 / 2,642,952)
08. Fairy Tail #42 (81,085 / 391,844)
09. Skip Beat! #34 (80,417 / 236,123)
10. Moyashimon #13 (79,617 / 208,436)
11. ReRe Hello #3 (72,425)
12. Hachimitsu ni Hatsukoi #7 (65,039)
13. Hirunaka no Ryuusei #9 (61,735)
14. Neko to Watashi no Kinyoubi #4 (57,668)
15. Daiya no Ace #40 (56,030 / 252,334)
16. Ayakashi Hisen #12 (52,741)
17. Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! #6 (51,216 / 71,913)
18. Kagerou Days Official Anthology Comic -Spring- (49,758)
19. 31☆Ai Dream #1 (49,107)
20. Kaze Hikaru #35 (47,572)
21. Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sou #5 (47,100)
22. Clover Trèfle #3 (46,835)
23. Sora no Otoshimono #20 (43,360 / 106,150)
24. 17-sai, Koi to Dilemma #4 (43,112)
25. Shinrei Tantei Yakumo #11 (42,643 / 44,092)
26. Gin no Saji #11 (41,657 / 829,719)
27. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai #10 (39,988 / 59,674)
28. Mujaki no Rakuen #5 (39,665)
29. Angel Heart 2nd Season #8 (38,836 / 100,922)
30. Kuroko no Basket #26 (37,921 / 684,409)
31. Gugure! Kokkuri-san #6 (35,916 / 49,280)
32. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #8 (35,713 / 610,113)
33. Naruto #68 (35,325 / 960,510)
34. Kidou Senshi Crossbone Gundam Ghost #6 (35,032 / 36,996)
35. Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R #1 (34,699 / 132,556)
36. Cuticle Tantei Inaba #13 (34,606)
37. Kidou Senshi Gundam MSV-R Johnny Raiden no Kikan #8 (34,563 / 36,310)
38. Swan -Hakuchou- Moscow-hen #4 (32,377)
39. Kidou Senshi Gundam-san #11 (30,916 / 32,125)
40. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha「Kono Yo no Mono ni Nare, Yuusha yo」「Kotowaru」 #10 (30,676 / 52,888)
41. Hayate no Gotoku! #40 (30,150 / 111,816)
42. Koe no Katachi #3 (29,787 / 139,856)
43. Aa! Megami-sana! #47 (29,261 / 87,991)
44. Otome Youkai Zakuro #9 (28,181 / 28,838)
45. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid #11 (27,081 / 47,715)
46. Bread & Butter #1 (26,124)
47. Pocket Monster Special Limited Edition #50 (25,978)
48. Aruitou #6 (25,716)
49. Youkai Watch Limited Edition #2 (25,206 / 73,221)
50. Adamas #10 (24,689 / 70,235)

Bleach 575

I just want to see imagine boy get rekt.

The sooner the better.

One Piece 743

Usopp thine hero.

They will write songs dedicated to him.

That Sabo hype is as strong as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom