• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
It started off amazing and progressively got worse and worse until the finale where everyone wonder why we bothered with the series in the first place

I disagree, I still haven't come across a shounen that has hooked me like Naruto. Bleach nearly did it but I reckon after the Aizen fight it should have ended. It seemed right, like he was the final boss so to say. One piece was very forgettable so I dropped it very quickly, my friend recommended me Hunter X Hunter. She says its very similar to Naruto so thats a maybe.

Also I think the poster was alluding to another similarity in terms of plot.

It.. did, kind of. It's the same kind of stuff with every harem, at some point some character flat out says it and the MC still doesn't budge in obliviousness. That's the transition point. From there it's a quick escalation to full on frontal attacks that go just shy of raping him, and the harem becomes a battlefield. At that point it becomes the famous harem hell (see Infinite Stratos). TLRD isn't there yet but it's only a matter of time.

Well so far it hasn't been frontal attacks, just acts of god that defies the laws of physics. I mean if you ignore how Rito and girl of the chapter gets caught up together it might as well be.

Charade

TWGOK 266

Looks like I caught up at a good time, haha. Ignoring the wtf stuff for the moment, Keima admitting
that his journey was better than any game
was kinda nice I guess.

TWGOK 266
So
Elsie is the final boss
. Looks like there is still a couple more chapters

I decided to check the spoiler because fuck it and ....

lol-wut-pear.jpg

I disagree, I still haven't come across a shounen that has hooked me like Naruto. Bleach nearly did it but I reckon after the Aizen fight it should have ended. It seemed right, like he was the final boss so to say. One piece was very forgettable so I dropped it very quickly, my friend recommended me Hunter X Hunter. She says its very similar to Naruto so thats a maybe.

Also I think the poster was alluding to another similarity in terms of plot.

There's this little series called One Piece you should check out, also Magi, and Hunter x Hunter like your friend said. They all have one thing in common, they shit all over Naruto and Bleach in terms of quality

Also hunter x hunter is the series kishimoto stole all of naruto part 1's best ideas from

There's this little series called One Piece you should check out, also Magi, and Hunter x Hunter like your friend said. They all have one thing in common, they shit all over Naruto and Bleach in terms of quality

Also hunter x hunter is the series kishimoto stole all of naruto part 1's best ideas from

This was pretty interesting to see since i read HxH after

I have already said that I found One piece to be very forgettable so I have no interest in that. I know about Magi from the anime thread and yeah I staying away from it.

Yeah HxH is a maybe and yeah she did tell me how stuff like the chunin exam arc is in it. However she also said that Naruto pulled it of far better so :/

I have already said that I found One piece to be very forgettable so I have no interest in that. I know about Magi from the anime thread and yeah I staying away from it.

Yeah HxH is a maybe and yeah she did tell me how stuff like the chunin exam arc is in it. However she also said that Naruto pulled it of far better so :/

You like Naruto/Bleach and find One Piece to be forgettable lol and anime gaf has terrible opinions and magi manga stomps its anime, and LOL at the idea of Naruto doing anything better then Hunter x Hunter

Also add Fullmetal Alchemist into the list of shonen series better the Naruto and Bleach

LeleSocho

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 49-52
I'm happy that she took the robot family, they really are cute.

Shinigami-sama to 4-nin no Kanojo 9
ohohohoh he's so fucked

Regarding the naruto talk i'll only say that if it was released 10 years before you all would have fapped to it like there was no tomorrow.

You like Naruto/Bleach and find One Piece to be forgettable lol and anime gaf has terrible opinions and magi manga stomps its anime, and LOL at the idea of Naruto doing anything better then Hunter x Hunter

Also add Fullmetal Alchemist into the list of shonen series better the Naruto and Bleach

Looks like someone doesn't know how opinions work. LOL at someone's opinion being different to mine. They must have shit taste, am i doing rite?

-___-

FMA was amazing. Definitely planning on watching Brotherhood later.

Looks like someone doesn't know how opinions work. LOL at someone's opinion being different to mine. They must have shit taste, am i doing rite?

-___-

FMA was amazing. Definitely planning on watching Brotherhood later.

Seriously just stick with One Piece, or actually give the manga for magi a chance, or read HxH they are all better then Naruto and Bleach that is a fact. Other series better then naruto/bleach

Jojo's bizarre adventure
Toriko
Soul Eater

Garcia

Oh god, what's happening now?

This is what's happening: After 669 chapters, both Naruto and Sasuke are no longer the focus of the story. From this moment on they are irrelevant, and the emphasis has switched to some background entities pulled from Kishimoto's ass.

Also, The Matrix.

The manga is reaching GANTZ levels of bad closure.

This is what's happening: After 669 chapters, both Naruto and Sasuke are no longer the focus of the story. From this moment on they are irrelevant, and the emphasis has switched to some background entities pulled from Kishimoto's ass.

Also, The Matrix.

Sounds like this trainwreck is still going hahaha

Eusis

It's probably best to just treat Bleach and Naruto as (really) stupid entertainment, though Naruto's just exasperating while Bleach at least seems to have some fun with itself. Trying to argue which is better though is like arguing whether McDonald's or Burger King's better when there's way better places to get burgers, fries, whatever.
I'm kind of curious to how DB/Z would be receipted if it was released now and people read it weekly.
Probably not all that differently really, plenty of people thought it was dumb then too, so it'd be in a similar position as the likes of the big three anyway.

Though in retrospect I can definitely appreciate how Toriyama wasn't really taking it that seriously himself. What other series focuses so much on big fights yet names characters after vegetables and appliances reliably?

Probably not all that differently really, plenty of people thought it was dumb then too, so it'd be in a similar position as the likes of the big three anyway.

Though in retrospect I can definitely appreciate how Toriyama wasn't really taking it that seriously himself. What other series focuses so much on big fights yet names characters after vegetables and appliances reliably?

And undergarments.

Plus i would possibly give it the same reverence of being all awesome spectacle and not giving a flying fuck about the story.

Death flags?

Goddamnit, now I'm really curious...

Do it.

One one hand its kinda interesting given what has happened to that point but on the other it sounds like something that suddenly appeared because its ending.

MikeMyers

IProbably not all that differently really, plenty of people thought it was dumb then too, so it'd be in a similar position as the likes of the big three anyway.

I was more so talking about the pacing. For example, everything from Gotenks Vs Super Buu to the death of Kid Buu feels like one big fight. Same with Vegeta Vs First Form Freeza to Namek's explosion. These things arent so bad if you marathon through them, but I wonder how it would have been like to have read those one chapter per week.

In agreement Toriyama's lack of care/seriousness was the series greatest charm. That's why Pilaf-RRA are my favourite arcs as I loved the gags then.

Also, The Matrix.

Not sure if serious.

Seriously just stick with One Piece, or actually give the manga for magi a chance, or read HxH they are all better then Naruto and Bleach that is a fact. Other series better then naruto/bleach

Jojo's bizarre adventure
Toriko
Soul Eater

Not going to read One piece. That shit is boring as hell. Uninteresting characters, don't like the art at all, not a big fan of the world either.

Similar reasons for Magi with the exception of the art.

I'll continue with Naruto and see if my friend likes HxH. We have similar tastes so that will be make my decision.

My shounen rankings would go like this from what I have read/seen:

Naruto
Bleach
Jojo
Soul Eater
HxH
One Piece
Toriko

However, my favourite manga of all time is the masterpiece known as Berserk. Truly an amazing manga.

Sai

... How far did you get in One Piece before you just couldn't stand the art anymore?

Y'know, I prefer Naruto, don't even really discuss One Piece with others, but I still appreciate what I believe One Piece does better. Narrative, character portrayal, and pacing being among them.

wonzo

Banned

Not going to read One piece. That shit is boring as hell. Uninteresting characters, don't like the art at all, not a big fan of the world either.

Similar reasons for Magi with the exception of the art.

I'll continue with Naruto and see if my friend likes HxH. We have similar tastes so that will be make my decision.

My shounen rankings would go like this from what I have read/seen:

Naruto
Bleach
Jojo
Soul Eater
HxH
One Piece
Toriko
homerwhy.png

upandaway

I've been watching wonzo slowly but surely get to a breaking point in here. Everything from Rafa to the above is slowly taking its toll on him. wonzo hang in there. RIP wonzo.

What did I do lol

... How far did you get in One Piece before you just couldn't stand the art anymore?

Y'know, I prefer Naruto, don't even really discuss One Piece with others, but I still appreciate what I believe One Piece does better. Narrative, character portrayal, and pacing being among them.

1st volume. Really don't like the art. Essentially it comes down to One piece never got me interested. It felt like a drag.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get it. Elsie being anything other than fucking Elsie way the fuck outta left field.

scy

Akame ga Kill 47 - Wave beat him? Nice.

Kurome and Ran moving out to fight Wild Hunt? And Ran gave us some backstory? RIP RIP RIP RIP RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom