• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Ehh, I've got to admit I've lost a lot of interest in SNK since it seems like half the cast
are going to be a fucking Titan at this rate.

Yup. Terrible direction for the narrative. At first it was a pretty novel concept, but now it's just a self-parody. I should have left it at chapter 18 and never caught up. At least then I could imagine that the manga was still good.

Jarmel

Banned
Ehh, I've got to admit I've lost a lot of interest in SNK since it seems like half the cast

It's kinda funny when you look at the top rankings for the graduating class.
The only one who isn't a Titan on that list is Mikasa and I would be amazed if she remains human throughout the series.

But, how is everyone a titan?
The only people found to be one were the ones suspected. Odd how 3 people coming from the same village turn out to be Titans. it's not like it was pulled out of thin-air. Ryner and Berthold were both foreshadowed, lot of evidence. Annie being the female type was a given considering how they both looked alike.

It's the same manga as it's always been. Eren is and will always be useless. It's still a hopeless war. The only problem is the slow as snails pacing, but, I truly don't understand the amount of hatred this manga gets now.

Articalys

Speaking of SnK, an amusing question-answer pair from /a/'s most recent discussion thread:

- Why don't the titans collapse under their own weight?
- Because the square/cube law is the universe's way of saying NO FUN ALLOWED, and fuck that shit.

remz

Shingeki no Kyojin is great, unique, original, and refreshing.

I lost -9000 points of respect to anyone calling it bad (well, not really, but yeah)

Dat anime-Mikasa. I don't like anime at all but maybe for this I'll make an exception.

Seriously! I think the manga has remained consistently interesting, and the fact that most of the fantastical elements people had a problem with
everyone is a titan, etc
were foreshadowed and hinted at pretty early in the story and pretty clearly leads me to not having that much of an issue with it.

I can see why some people wouldn't been keen on it though, but I don't think it's outright bad like Bleach

fertygo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52970532]Why do people still read Attack on Titan? What a bad manga.[/QUOTE]

GB are right all along.

Lain

Your and My Footprints - The Time Travel Kasuga Laboratory vol 1-6[END]
j5n.jpg

This was pretty great.
The story centers around Aki, one of two sisters that owns and work in a time travel laboratory (the one in the title). The time travel isn't real though, it's virtual and only works in the city the laboratory is in and until a certain point in time, since they have been scanning and recording only that place for a certain number of years.
Aki is a brilliant woman, gifted both physically (she's pretty strong and a has martial arts knowledge) and mentally, very cheerful and easygoing, though she gets really down when she thinks about her sister Mizuki, who she lost after an accident.

Initially the story showed the time travel work, with Aki helping the people that came to her in hope to revisit their past to "fix" things, to find out truths or to apologize to people that were hurt and, though it served as a way to get us to better know Aki and her assistant Hiroki and also to bring forth the real plot of work: Aki's quest to find her dead sister.

The best part about this series, apart from the really nice art style (and the awesome covers) is the way it handles the various sub-stories, with all these people coming to Aki with their little needs and problems and showing us how things could have been different
(especially after the switch to Mizuki -which made me appreciate Aki even more- and the parallel world she lives in, showing us another look at different aspects of some people's past and what their actions generated)
, had they done something else. There is also the whole family plot, which is bittersweet, especially in the way it is concluded but also romantic and filled with drama.

As I said at the start, it was a great work and I wish it lasted a bit more, especially because I've really got to like Aki.
I also wish there were more than 2 chapters scanlated, because I feel it deserves to be enjoyed by more people around the world.

Speaking of SnK, an amusing question-answer pair from /a/'s most recent discussion thread:

- Why don't the titans collapse under their own weight?
- Because the square/cube law is the universe's way of saying NO FUN ALLOWED, and fuck that shit.

The titans are made out of steam or something like that.

Shingeki no Kyojin

I have read the first 3 chapters some time ago, but damn the anime did not sensor anything IIRC. Damn brutal. Does anyone has any idea how many chapters the anime will cover?

Girls of the Wild's

Hell yeah Dal Dal.

FFS 80-90% of new anime airing are moe crap. Dammit Japan.

Kurita

Seriously! I think the manga has remained consistently interesting, and the fact that most of the fantastical elements people had a problem with
everyone is a titan, etc
were foreshadowed and hinted at pretty early in the story and pretty clearly leads me to not having that much of an issue with it.
I agree.
Well, since I'm pretty dumb I didn't pay attention to some hints so some reveals blew my mind :lol

Still love the manga to death, maybe even more with the recent developments.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tonari no Seki-kun 24

More misunderstandings of Seiki and Yokoi's relationship. But Yokoi finally fights back against the impossible jenga master!

Well when much of manga is either moe or shonen stuff (if not both) and most anime is based on manga or light novels...

I know, i just wanted something original for once like Darker than Black. ATM, i enjoying American cartoons a 100 times more than any anime. TMNT and Max Steel are freaking brilliant.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, one of the reasons why I don't like anime adaptions like this is because there is no way they can follow the full story of the original.

Shingeki no Kyojin
Stop reading this a good while back because i was waiting on the anime the first ep was good adaptation so far .
In fact the anime could better than manga if they don't mess up .
Will start back reading the manga when the anime ends but people seem down on it after a certain part .

FFS 80-90% of new anime airing are moe crap. Dammit Japan.

Yep, one of the reasons I stopped watching.

Nah it depends on the season some season better than others .
Plus so much anime get make these days and it much easier to get access to everything even when a lot of it is bad .

I've got to disagree with the majority opinion here and say I thought they botched the first episode of Attack on Titan. They lost that feeling of gruesomeness and despair you got when the Titans broke through by going too over-the-top. At least that style should work better with the more all-out action sequences.

If you saw the Anime you could guess that easily because
Jaeger saved everyone from a plague so everyone got his Titansirup

Buddha 1-24

Wow, this is shockingly brutal. It's taken me a while to reconcile the cartoonishness of Tezuka's style with the outright viciousness of the content. I mean, a kid just killed 4 other kids with a rock. And these weren't ugly Aku no Hana children, these were cute cartoon kids.

I don't love the manga at this point, but I can appreciate its strengths.

I've got to disagree with the majority opinion here and say I thought they botched the first episode of Attack on Titan. They lost that feeling of gruesomeness and despair you got when the Titans broke through by going too over-the-top. At least that style should work better with the more all-out action sequences.

The steam, the shock blowing people away, others being hit and crushed with debris, Armin being unable to move forward and shaking, and mother being stretched then eaten, had no sense of despair? I was in tears.

If you saw the Anime you could guess that easily because
Jaeger saved everyone from a plague so everyone got his Titansirup

Maybe not everyone. And really with the Titans resembling humans,
i guessed they were former humans and the last chapters confirmed it.

What I am curious about is
how normal people become Titans, an virus maybe.

Maybe not everyone. And really with the Titans resembling humans,
i guessed they were former humans and the last chapters confirmed it.

What I am curious about is
how normal people become Titans, an virus maybe.

The only questions that i have is
Why are there some guys who want to destroy the wall? What is the "Secret" about the wall besides that it build on Titans? And the last one is... when is Eren not as annoying as he is right now?

Kurita

The steam, the shock blowing people away, others being hit and crushed with debris, Armin being unable to move forward and shaking, and mother being stretched then eaten, had no sense of despair? I was in tears.
It felt overly dramatic compared to the manga. As if Speedwagon was the director of the show.

Bossun

If you want to read WEIRD shit, read Sakuratetsu Taiwahen. By the author of Hoshin Engi

It's about a super strong, super poor school boy, that lives in a worn, old house, in the middle of the city with his family.
Old house which happens to be on the perfect spot for an alien invasion(space pirates), that is being fought back by the underground-mole people. The place where the gates of hell open and close. The old emplacement of the temple of the godess of anuses.
The spot where people from the future parks the living-tree spaceship.

And the earth is being menaced by a giant that appears in the sky with its eye first.
The president is an overly dramatic french guy riding a futuristic spaceship.

Defuser

Shingeki no Kyojin ch 1 to 43

After watching episode 1 of the anime I decided to read it up and goddamn it's depressing with so many death counts and gore but I do like the concept and setting for this. Taking down giants spiderman style is baddass. One thing irks me though is the Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear, it's too high tech and out of place in a medieval setting but I guess it's needed for this kind of setting.

Can anybody link to me the post where somebody made a prediction on the plot and it was 100% correct?

Akito

After watching episode 1 of the anime I decided to read it up and goddamn it's depressing with so many death counts and gore but I do like the concept and setting for this. Taking down giants spiderman style is baddass. One thing irks me though is the Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear, it's too high tech and out of place in a medieval setting but I guess it's needed for this kind of setting.

Can anybody link to me the post where somebody made a prediction on the plot and it was 100% correct?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47689694&postcount=15121

Kurita

I'm not sure if it's really a medieval setting. I mean, the clothes of the army look quite modern.

If you want to read WEIRD shit, read Sakuratetsu Taiwahen. By the author of Hoshin Engi

It's about a super strong, super poor school boy, that lives in a worn, old house, in the middle of the city with his family.
Old house which happens to be on the perfect spot for an alien invasion(space pirates), that is being fought back by the underground-mole people. The place where the gates of hell open and close. The old emplacement of the temple of the godess of anuses.
The spot where people from the future parks the living-tree spaceship.

And the earth is being menaced by a giant that appears in the sky with its eye first.
The president is an overly dramatic french guy riding a futuristic spaceship.

Houshin Engi? Fuck yes. I'd read another work by him.

His previous work has one of the best characters ever. Overpowered as hell but he was so lazy, he had a machine built to breathe for him.

EDIT: ....oh wait. I've read that manga before.

Stulaw

Sora no Otoshimono 68
Well, I think that it will turn out that Sohara isn't actually the real Sohara and that she actually died as a kid, hence why Tomoki cries at the site of the doll that she gave him, and hence why she's no longer sick. I mean, despite its silliness this manga can get serious every now and then, and he was crying in his non-chibi form. I have a feeling they'll be going back in time again to find out what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom