• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Completed

Solanin
Planetes
Takemitsu Zamurai
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms

Ongoing

Goodnight Punpun
A Bride's Story
REAL
Ran and the Gray World
Again!!

Stinky

Ongoing

I Am a Hero
Yotsubato!
One Piece
Oyasumi Punpun
Vagabond

Completed
From mangaupdates:

9 Rating

Buddha
Eyeshield 21

8 Rating

Jojo part 2: Battle Tendency (ooh, this one is recent)
Death Note
Franken Fran
Genshiken - The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture
Medaka Box (;_;)
Monster
Kaiji (parts 1, 2 and 3)
Uzumaki

Tried to compress it as much as possible.

EDIT: Oh, and I've yet to catch up on Berserk and finish Black Jack but theyre 8 and 9 respectively.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55739584]If you mean Prison School it's because the author has the best perspective technique in any manga. I don't care about the story or characters at all. I don't know enough great currently serialized manga to make an awesome top 5 because it's all garbage. Although I guess Jojo's is still serialized and should shift everything else down one.[/QUOTE]

You read it just for the art? I think its really, really funny sometimes.

Liiiisssts
241703976rsne.jpg

From left to right, no order after the first each time:

Ongoing: Screaming Lessons, A Lollypop or a Bullet, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Shingeki no Kyojin, Liar Game.

Completed: Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime, Azumanga Daioh, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Anne Freaks, Franken Fran.

One-shots: Gin'iro no Kami no Arisa, Haikyo Shoujo.

I missed the lists?

Best five ongoing
1. Konya mo Nemurena
2. Elektal Delusion
3. Naruto
4. Haikyuu!!
5. World Trigger

Completed
1. Katekyo Hitman Reborn
2. Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning
3. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
4. Rutta to Kodama
5. Star like Words / Junketsu Drop

Akito

Completed
- Touch
- Kodomo no Omocha
- Slam Dunk
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Masturbation Master Kurosawa

Ongoing
- One Piece
- Silver Spoon
- Onepunch-Man
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Tetsugaku Letra (so fucking slow arghhhhhh)

Vagabond could have been somewhere on that list but the Farmville arc is going on a little too long. HxH and Berserk are not because fucking hiatus.

Something like that.

Silver Spoon 73
Goddamn dat ether but Hachiken has leveled up quite a bit since the last time, so good.

flawfuls

I hope they'll fix the cheap art.

The art was fine, it's the animation that could use fixing.

3, Street of Mysteries

I've read some other Shigeru Mizuki manga before this and didn't really like them, but this one really clicked with me. Probably because of the highly sophisticated subject matter.

uYEC4L2.png

HLfWv4F.png

Kurita

Heh I thought it looked decent. They did their best with the low budget, the voice acting and the music really helped improving the overall quality.
Definitely a great adaptation.

Heh I thought it looked decent. They did their best with the low budget, the voice acting and the music really helped improving the overall quality.
Definitely a great adaptation.

I obviously can't say iif it's a good adaptation for not, but I expected a lot more given the popularity of the manga.

Solanin 4-6

The meeting with the mother ended better than expected. She's more understandable than I thought, even with Taneda's job situation.

The moment with the old grandpa in front of the drug store was cute, much like the short conversation that followed. Meiko doesn't really seems to be an adult, but who does at the age of 24?

I'm usually not much into side stories of other characters, but Katou's was great. I was really wondering where it would go, considering he got a girlfriend and I'm glad nothing serious happened. The last page of chapter 6 was great. Dat angry girlfriend.

dumbyugi

Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning 1-21

I decided to read this after seeing DTL suggest it all the time and boy am I glad I did. I love series with genius protagonists, even more so when they play life or death games. I like that the big mystery of the series, that is the blade children, hasn't been pushed aside at all for a game of the week chapter but rather it's the reason that every single game happens. I like all of the characters so far, though I do hope Narumi tones down his inferiority complex a little more soon. The games have been fun to read and even though it's obvious that the MC won't lose a game that'll get him killed some of them still manage to be quite tense. If it wasn't getting so late I would probably just marathon the rest, but I'll finish it tommorow.

Solanin 7-10

zVi1mDH.png

Oh Meiko, you have no idea how much I envy you and then don't at the same time.

I'm glad Ai slapped some sense into Meiko, because it's about time she gets serious, or rather she and Taneda get serious. Same with Taneda's talk with his co-worker and the argument with Meiko afterwards. While I get where he's coming from, his attitude angers me. Leaving after the argument like that and even thinking about staying at Katou's is so immature. How they've been in a relationship for 6 years(!) I don't know. But I guess the quarrel was worth it, because the moment at the studio and the beach was great. Basically the last moments they had, before they new that life gets really serious after it. The call at the end of chapter 10 got me really excited and I can't wait to see how it goes.

survivor

Banned
Solanin 7-10

zVi1mDH.png

Oh Meiko, you have no idea how much I envy you and then don't at the same time.

I'm glad Ai slapped some sense into Meiko, because it's about time she gets serious, or rather she and Taneda get serious. Same with Taneda's talk with his co-worker and the argument with Meiko afterwards. While I get where he's coming from, his attitude angers me. Leaving after the argument like that and even thinking about staying at Katou's is so immature. How they've been in a relationship for 6 years(!) I don't know. But I guess the quarrel was worth it, because the moment at the studio and the beach was great. Basically the last moments they had, before they new that life gets really serious after it. The call at the end of chapter 10 got me really excited and I can't wait to see how it goes.
Because
pic01rm8.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
How is it possible for one who recommends such classics like Sanctuary and fabulousness like Jojo to like that rubbish I read a few chapters a while back and it was essentially Hentai and not even remotely funny.

Prison School is flat out amazing. The broship, the fetishes, the Great Escape component, the smut, and the art are all so good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, rereading solanin again and now I feel even worse than when I first read it, because in 1-2 years that'll be me in that position. I'm generally more optimistic about my future than those two sad sacks, but man, Asano really captures that uncertainty incredibly well.

Jintor

Asano's faces are so strange. I think they look great, but they also have this weird... almost... alien quality to them as well ==;;

Jarmel

Banned
Medaka Box 72-192

Well that's that.

I liked this a lot. The amount of trolling really made this a lot more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. I still think the final two arcs were by far the weakest but in length and actual material. Some of the stuff also went in way too deep on the wordplay to the point where I didn't really want to follow along. I also thought the fights for the most part were pretty damn boring other than the early fight between Zenkichi and Munakata. That said, it was a good ride throughout and I'm surprised how much I liked Kamogawa at the end. I also very much liked the ending and the romantic aspect of it as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Asano's faces are so strange. I think they look great, but they also have this weird... almost... alien quality to them as well ==;;

Intentional I think. One of the few mangaka who actually knows how to draw ugly characters.

Solanin 11-14, end of Vol 1.

Well, it's not exactly what I expected. I didn't think the band would get picked up that easily, but the way Taneda reacted did surprise me. In a way. I guess. Goddamn. It was quite the air-headed relationship after all and his reaction is kinda understandable. He parted from what he loved the most and staying with Meiko wouldn't make things easier. Disappearing like that is a bit too familiar, though. The comeback was well done, though. At least he had a good excuse.

Anyway.

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU END IT LIKE THIS? LIKE, WHAT THE FUCK, MAN! SHE WAS SO HAPPY AND READY FOR HIM TO COME BACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom