• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

The ES21 anime was actually not that bad, I watched half of it or something. If you want a really really really bad Jump adaptation, Beelzebub would be my first pick.

Kurita

I'm being harsh. It's just so inferior compared to the manga...
The voice acting and the OP/ED songs were pretty good though.

Still looking forward to Haikyuu!!'s anime, hope it delivers.

upandaway

I can't actually remember if I finished ES21 or not.. as in, I don't remember a single thing about the last arc, or about reading it. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't (it was pre-2006 when I stopped reading manga for a while).
In fact I don't think I remember anything besides the contents of the volumes I own (though I do remember reading way past them). It's been so long ago.

I need to maintain a list of things to reread.. but I'm terrified that it will just grow instantly to include everything in my readlist+completed list.

Kurita

I can't actually remember if I finished ES21 or not.. as in, I don't remember a single thing about the last arc, or about reading it. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't.
In fact I don't think I remember anything besides the contents of the volumes I own (though I do remember reading way past them). It's been so long ago.

I need to maintain a list of things to reread.. but I'm terrified that it will just grow instantly to include everything in my readlist+completed list.

Not like this arc matters anyway. :lol
It's just pure fan service. And I enjoyed every single second of it.

upandaway

Oh man there was that training they did in America, right right. With the rock kicks and the muscle-on-truck action (that was pretty lewd).

I kinda wanna reread it now, argh but I haven't the dang gosh time!

Hungry Joker 23
tumblr_mlxmlhHT1D1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Haiji v Kild is just as good as I wanted it to be even if it feels somewhat rushed. Excellent powers and advancements, and the final page and how Haiji got there was amazing. I guess this is ending in < 3chps?

I hope he and the writer of Barrage can write action stories for JUMP again.

Jarmel

Banned
Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer

So for some reason I decided to reread a few of the chapters at the end. I forgot how good this was and it's depressing I'll never see an anime for it. Gainax back in the day would have been amazing for this and even BONES would have been a great pick. I heard that Gainax actually was in very serious talks to do it but the whole thing fell apart due to the Pillow's agents refusing to do the ED. Depressing shit.

Soma

Silver Spoon 35-73

Wait. Wait what. What, I'm out of chapters already?

How'd this happen so fast? No...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well that's what I get for not pacing myself better but in fairness this manga seems to end its chapters at the most pivotal moments! It's really hard to stop sometimes.

But yeah, this manga has been really impressive to me in terms of characterization, humor, and the level of detail gone into the research of a lot of the subject matter here. Hachiken is a fantastic protagonist. He's shown amazing signs of development and growth since the beginning of the story and the level of depth the manga has gone to highlight both his strengths and weaknesses is great. The development between him and Mikage has been a joy to watch unfold. It's never felt overly forced nor contrived. It all has developed very naturally which is something I really appreciate.

The whole situation with Komaba was pretty damn heavy considering how relatively "feel good" the rest of the manga seems to be but it was a very interesting perspective into the cold reality of businesses and the repercussions of certain decisions. I have a feeling he'll come back into the story one way or another though.

The latest chapter with Hachiken's father was great. Even if it didn't sway his father at all (I'm sure it's left some impact at least) it was incredible to see Hachiken stand up for himself and show how resolute he is with the choices that he's made.

Great stuff.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Not available in English at all. And they are decent yeah, wouldn't recommend them if you're not a fan of the series though.

Hmm, I've fumbled around with Jump Super Stars and the like, but my lack of japanese knowledge is a real wall. Too bad.

Assassination Classroom Ch. 1

Well, that wasn't what I expected at all. Fast paced and equally as funny, Korosensei is quite the starting . . mentor. If you can call him that. I'm really excited to see where this goes.

And so it needs to be asked: Nagisa is a . . . boy? I'm pretty sure it's a girl. But since I'm always wrong on this, I'm just going to switch it myself and see if I'm right.

Well, that wasn't what I expected at all. Fast paced and equally as funny, Korosensei is quite the starting . . mentor. If you can call him that. I'm really excited to see where this goes.

And so it needs to be asked: Nagisa is a . . . boy? I'm pretty sure it's a girl. But since I'm always wrong on this, I'm just going to switch it myself and see if I'm right.

Male.

Kurita

Hmm, I've fumbled around with Jump Super Stars and the like, but my lack of japanese knowledge is a real wall. Too bad.

I didn't know Japanese when I played these games and the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars series :p
And I'm not sure I'd understand a lot of stuff even though I'm learning Japanese.

bigkrev

Are the games any good/ in english at all? I would love to play them.

The DS game doesn't require any JPN. Its also a relatively simple, touch only football game that in the age of iOS seems more like a phone game than a handheld game.

I paid too much money to import it when it was new, but I couldn't tell someone with a straight face to spend more than 10-15 bucks on it now.

Loveless v 6

Birth chapters were good additions and good insights, though sad that Seimei is alive and may not truly be as brotherly lovish as Ritsuka has him imagined, I guess he was Soubi's seme at this rate, though I guess for Ritsuka, Ritsuka is also seme too...Anyway, Soubi crying was the most memorable moment and wanting to run away with Ritsuka. Waiting for v7 is long.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I didn't know Japanese when I played these games and the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars series :p
And I'm not sure I'd understand a lot of stuff even though I'm learning Japanese.

Haha, yeah. I played around with the first one for like 30 mins. Just enough to get my Luffy on.

The DS game doesn't require any JPN. Its also a relatively simple, touch only football game that in the age of iOS seems more like a phone game than a handheld game.

I paid too much money to import it when it was new, but I couldn't tell someone with a straight face to spend more than 10-15 bucks on it now.

Very interesting. I'll look into it . . after I've gone through at least one game in my backlog.

Which means I'll never look into it. :D

That is just weird.

Jintor

Hen v1

I'm interested to see where this is going, but it seems like the whole bit with the teacher was completely frivolous.

Yukemuri Sanctuary -END-

THE GARDEN

Haru Natsu Aki Fuyu v1

Also interested to see where this is going!

bigkrev

amazing how fast the Yaoi thread blew up :D

World Trigger

So each high level character gets a unique power, like seeing the future. Seems pretty cool

amazing how fast the Yaoi thread blew up :D

World Trigger

So each high level character gets a unique power, like seeing the future. Seems pretty cool

Is World Trigger worth checking out? It's ratings are not garbage like Hungry Joker's and I see more then just DTL reading it (No offense DTL)

bigkrev

Is World Trigger worth checking out? It's ratings are not garbage like Hungry Joker's and I see more then just DTL reading it (No offense DTL)

The only reason I started reading it is because I don't read the Big 3 or Toriko, and I subscribe to SJ Alpha (because I support the concept of same day licensed releases) which is slim pickings if you don't read any of those 4. I'm sticking around because the world they created is somewhat interesting, the action spreads are done well enough, and the characters seem somewhat interesting.

That may have sounded damning with faint praise, but I still enjoy reading it. Its about 10 chapters right now, you could probably still jump in for 30 mins, decide if you like what you see, stay on it. DTL probably goes overboard on his praise for it (and it doesn't even seem too shippable yet!), but I see it sticking around for awhile.

bigkrev

Juvenile ch 3-4

While ch4 is just smut (and not particularly well done smut at that), I first encountered ch 3 years ago and its always been a "white whale" of mine to see translated. I'm glad the story lived up to my expectations!

Sayonara, Itoshi no My Friend 1
tumblr_mlxz546hHO1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Haga's personality needs work but Tatsuo offering the hand of friendship and advice should help him. Unfortunately the female characters arounds them have atrocious personalities though. I do like where its heading.

The only reason I started reading it is because I don't read the Big 3 or Toriko, and I subscribe to SJ Alpha (because I support the concept of same day licensed releases) which is slim pickings if you don't read any of those 4. I'm sticking around because the world they created is somewhat interesting, the action spreads are done well enough, and the characters seem somewhat interesting.

That may have sounded damning with faint praise, but I still enjoy reading it. Its about 10 chapters right now, you could probably still jump in for 30 mins, decide if you like what you see, stay on it. DTL probably goes overboard on his praise for it (and it doesn't even seem too shippable yet!), but I see it sticking around for awhile.

Fair enough, will check it out if it survives the 20 chapter mark.

wonzo

Banned
Silver Spoon 73

Aww yeahh Hachiken ain't takin' any shit from anyone!

Houkago Play R 1

needs less tabletop rpg dullness and more foot smut.

Nagisa tries to come over as a boy, but I'm pretty sure she's a girl. And don't let the manga fool you, it gets pretty bad later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom