• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda enjoyed it, but I lost interest after episode 9 or 10. Can't remember it anymore, it's been a while since I watched it and I won't waste my time with it again.

Lost interest meaning you stopped? Because if you didn't watch ep 11 after coming that far, then you did yourself a massive disservice.

Korosenai

I didn't know people actively disliked Yotsuba. That's news to me.

I tried reading it but I just found it very boring.

------------------------------------------------

Toriko 227

So wait... Tommyrod is actually dead? That sucks. I mean, it was a great fight, but I didn't think Tommy would just get devoured like that. Kind of crazy.

Wiseblade

I don't actively dislike it. It's just kind of there for me. I dropped it around chapter 60ish because I always found it kind of boring .

I tried reading it but I just found it very boring.

I don't actively dislike it. It's just that I don't see me reading it anytime soon.

No, I watched all episodes, even though it bored me to hell and back.

iPYEemHTuer0r.gif

A trifecta of wrongness

survivor

Banned
Japanese manga sales, March 10-16
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-20/japanese-comic-ranking-march-10-16

Assassination Classroom vol.1 has now sold over 700.000 units, damn.
Sakamoto Desu Ga? which came out in January sold 60.000 units this week, I wonder what gave it this little boost.
Also, Haikyuu!! vol.5 is close to 200.000 units sold, so glad it's popular!

I'm sure the internet hype boosted up Sakamoto lol

Zero Part 2 only got 17k, I thought Fukumoto was more popular :(

Azure J

There's a point where one becomes too overly cynical. Drawing a "blah" toward Yotsuba is like being upset because there were more blue skies in a week than grey skies/rain. :lol

Kurita

I'm sure the internet hype boosted up Sakamoto lol

Zero Part 2 only got 17k, I thought Fukumoto was more popular :(
Did Sakamoto got some internet hype in Japan though? I just thought it was mostly english-speaking readers who found about it just now.

Japanese manga sales, March 10-16
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-20/japanese-comic-ranking-march-10-16

Assassination Classroom vol.1 has now sold over 700.000 units, damn.
Sakamoto Desu Ga? which came out in January sold 60.000 units this week, I wonder what gave it this little boost.
Also, Haikyuu!! vol.5 is close to 200.000 units sold, so glad it's popular!

I thought sakamoto has really nice in store displays?
And go Haikyuu!! I guess it will get to Reborn level of sales overtime (that looks around 300K-400K?)

Assassination Classroom looks like it will already overtake Bleach as well. And One Piece seems like its taken ages to get to 3mln.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Kusagari

Only read one chapter of Dragon Ball.
I just don't care about the series. Wasn't born when it was big, so...

Yeah, I don't care if people like it or not but almost everyone I've ever met, male or female, saw at least one episode of it on Toonami back in the day.

It would be like someone my age telling me they had never seen a single episode of Pokemon.

There's a point where one becomes too overly cynical. Drawing a "blah" toward Yotsuba is like being upset because there were more blue skies in a week than grey skies/rain. :lol

I think me loving TTGL, which is the very definition of optimism, kind of conflicts with that theory.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Couldn't get past the 5th ep of TTGL. Story and setting just didn't click with me.
Will admit guy in the shades was pretty baller though.

survivor

Banned
Only read one chapter of Dragon Ball.
I just don't care about the series. Wasn't born when it was big, so...

I watched DBZ in like 4 different dubs all at different points of my life and it always sucked. Dragon Quest Dai was the more interesting battle shounen anime to me when I was growing up.

Wiseblade

I watched DBZ in like 4 different dubs all at different points of my life and it always sucked. Dragon Quest Dai was the more interesting battle shounen anime to me when I was growing up.

But you've watched it, so you must understand the influence it's had of battle shonen (or even shonen in general) going forward, right? The amount of authors today who list Toriyama as inspiration is motivation enough to check it out in my opinion.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Alive 8-37

Great finale for the first half. Really don't understand Taisuke's random powerup, but it works. Now that rumors that Tai survived and people are looking for our old crew, I'm pretty excited. Also, Tai's 18th birthday was awesome, and after not seeing her in forever, I forgot how smexy Yoko-nee is. Waifu!

It's almost like it didn't matter if you watched it or not.

No, it was a beautiful way to bring the story full circle. He came from the dirt, rose to greatness, returned to the dirt. Even though the whole universe rested on his shoulders, in the end he was forgotten. That is the futility of life, one of the central themes of the series. The beauty is that even when there's no hope or purpose, life stubbornly continues on. It's not optimistic, it's existential.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Toonami for me, every day after school. I remember those golden years where I would come home from freshman year, finish up DBZ and pop in Wind Waker.

Only reason I hold it so close to my heart. That and the tournament arc of Yuyu with Jin? Love.

But you've watched it, so you must understand the influence it's had of battle shonen (or even shonen in general) going forward, right? The amount of authors today who list Toriyama as inspiration is motivation enough to check it out in my opinion.

Just because it started a trend, it doesn't mean it's you have to like it. It's like with music artists, that got inspired by Pink Floyd or whatever. Just because you like the artist, it doesn't mean you have to like Floyd.

survivor

Banned

Checking out works due to their influence is fine and I have no problem with it, but Dragon Ball is a pretty big time investment so I could see someone not wanting to start something they are not that interested in.

it's incredibly poorly written

That's just not the case. You're probably misunderstanding the genre context it's operating in. It's completely self aware that it is super robo but by embracing the absurdity it actually manages to be quite sophisticated beneath the surface.

For a moment I thought I saw TTGL hate...

If you like giving yourself brain damage then sure, it's incredibly poorly written and really really stupid.

...Yeah, just an ilusion.

Checking out works due to their influence is fine and I have no problem with it, but Dragon Ball is a pretty big time investment so I could see someone not wanting to start something they are not that interested in.

They could read/see until Dragon Ball Z or until Namek saga.

Wiseblade

Just because it started a trend, it doesn't mean it's you have to like it. It's like with music artists, that got inspired by Pink Floyd or whatever. Just because you like the artist, it doesn't mean you have to like Floyd.

I'm not saying "it's influential, therefore it's good", I'm saying "it's influential, therefore it's worth reading to see how it has impacted the genre".

Retcon:

"Dead Inside" List

Yonafunu
Nub
Cosmicblizzard
Brotkasten
Curlyfriski
KeasbyKnight
Cwarrior

I'm not saying "it's influential, therefore it's good", I'm saying "it's influential, therefore it's worth reading to see how it has impacted the genre".

And for some people it's just not worth it, because they've most likely seen all the tropes at some point. The thought of "oh, so that's where it came from" is just not interesting to some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom