• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Tell me how you really feel.

Yuki: Rape me.
Seiji: No.
Yuki: We are breaking up.

So fucking dumb as hell. I just don't understand what went through Kei Sasuga's head when he wrote this crap. In what world do Yuki's action make any fucking sense.

Fuck manga, I'm just gonna go back and read American comics. At least they are not that stupid... Oh, nvm then. Back to GE I guess.

Good Ending 87

iWik8KUdhyDxT.gif

You don't need to die for our sins.

Dresden

So worth pursuing for more than one chapter? I wasn't really feeling it, though it wasn't bad as such

it picked up as it went, though I might just have gone blind from all the blushing and moe~

Poor Otaro, nobody likes him (except Ran).

I don't hate Outarou, creeper that he is.

He's destined to lose though, since it's clear that Ran is going to give up those magic shoes at some point.

Domina no Do! 31-35

Lets see now... we've got magical futanari, VR MMORPG's that'd put the GLOP in SAO to shame, sex themed Yu-Gi-Oh! duels, Hikikomori PreCure!, and the most heart warming story of forbidden love ever told with the machine dildo "Giant Moro" and the Onahole Android "Idoh Nahoro". Yep, this series truly has it all.

goddamn it wonzo, I dropped this when the yandere stalker girl made him drink all the urine she'd saved up in the fridge

Akito

Yuki: Rape me.
Seiji: No.
Yuki: We are breaking up.

So fucking dumb as hell. I just don't understand what went through Kei Sasuga's head when he wrote this crap. In what world do Yuki's action make any fucking sense.

Fuck manga, I'm just gonna go back and read American comics. At least they are not that stupid... Oh, nvm then. Back to GE I guess.
Look on the brighter side of it, it will most likely make you stronger. For the sake of Rage Town.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Even seeing other people reading GE is enough to irk me, hahaha.

One of my most regretted "Read it to the end" series. If someone were to sell "GE Memory Wipe Out From Your Brain Device" I'll buy it for a million bucks.

Ah well..............

Anyways, Survivor, what's your Avatar from? The art seems pleasing.

wonzo

Banned
goddamn it wonzo, I dropped this when the yandere stalker girl made him drink all the urine she'd saved up in the fridge
Damn dude, you're missing out on the delicious brown meido, the moe as hell sister and THE BLUE DRAGON'S GOLDEN TUBE OF ORIGIN!!!

survivor

Banned
Look on the brighter side of it, it will most likely make you stronger. For the sake of Rage Town.
Fuck, reading through the first 50 chapters of Rage Town again gonna be so tedious.

Even seeing other people reading GE is enough to irk me, hahaha.

One of my most regretted "Read it to the end" series. If someone were to sell "GE Memory Wipe Out From Your Brain Device" I'll buy it for a million bucks.

Ah well..............

Anyways, Survivor, what's your Avatar from? The art seems pleasing.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, it's a great manga.

survivor

Banned
So Umimachi Diary ended up winning the 2013 Manga Taisho Awards. It's by the same author of Banana Fish so chances are it is actually good. I wouldn't know cause only 2 chapters out of 5 volumes have been translated. Anyway here is plot summary

A letter comes to the three Kohda sisters in Kamakura, bringing the news of their father's death. A father they hadn't seen since he divorced and left home 15 years ago. Despite feeling indifferent about their father, Yoshino, the middle of the three, and Chika, the youngest, go to Yamagata to attend his funeral on oldest sister Sachi's request. There, they meet Suzu, their young and reliable half sister.

Umimachi Diary won the Excellence Prize for manga at the 2007 Japan Media Arts Festival Awards. It was also nominated for the 1st Manga Taisho, where it came in 3rd place, for the 12th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, where it came in 2nd place, and for the 13th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize.

And the nominees.

flawfuls

So Umimachi Diary ended up winning the 2013 Manga Taisho Awards. It's by the same author of Banana Fish so chances are it is actually good. I wouldn't know cause only 2 chapters out of 5 volumes have been translated. Anyway here is plot summary

And the nominees.

I got more out of the first chapter of this manga than I do out of most manga period. Akimi Yoshida is such an incredible mangaka. It's a shame she isn't more popular outside of Japan.

suzu

Too bad fucking Outarou had to ruin that shit in chapter 17. I wished Jin would just transform into a wolf and rip his smug ass face off. Seriously, Hibi is so much better and cooler. He has to end up winning or I will rage.

Poor Otaro, nobody likes him (except Ran).

Outarou is seriously so damn gross. Ran likes the attention, because she doesn't have any friends. Also she's like 7 years old or something. lol. Her father freaking out was funny though. I'm rooting for Hibi too!

Ran and the Gray World 1-19

Story is charming, art is great. Sorta creepy how much her hotness is emphasized when she becomes an adult. Outarou chapters are painful to read because you're wondering how far they're going to go with his desire to bang a girl who is mentally a child.

Mael

He literally says "Fine, I'll wait. But when your new friends die - And they will die - There will be no stopping me." That's more than Ninetales ever did.

Never saw it that way...
I mean I never made the parallel between the 2.
The 9tails is kinda like everything in part 2, a lamer, stupider memory of what was good in part 1.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
All I needed was to see one panel of the manga to put it on my list. There's just something about the art ...

Do it, it's fantastic.

Also a complete 180 from berserk so maybe it could be a nice palette cleanser afterwards. :p

Speaking of which I should probably start that soon.

Do it, it's fantastic.

Also a complete 180 from berserk so maybe it could be a nice palette cleanser afterwards. :p

Speaking of which I should probably start that soon.

I hope to finish Berserk this weekend (yeah, right lol) and I'm not sure why I'd need a palette cleanser afterwards. I don't want to read manga to make me feel better and Berserk isn't that bad or depressing. It's Guts cutting through shit. It's almost comical.

Antiwhippy

Didn't really mean it in that way, more like if you want to read something different that's a good choice.

Just read it, damnit.

Silver Spoon 69

Hell yeah hachiken. Good stuff.

Yeah. The Eclipse was pretty funny.

Gutts just fucks everything up. It's well done, but it's nothing that needs to be cleansed from my head.

Hahaha, I wouldn't call the eclipse "funny", but ever since Miura toned the rape down and Guts got his RPG party, it's just not that grim and dark anymore. There's always some kind of hope and feelgood crap going on. It's kinda depressing that it's not depressing anymore.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hahaha, I wouldn't call the eclipse "funny", but ever since Miura toned the rape down and Guts got his RPG party, it's just not that grim and dark anymore. There's always some kind of hope and feelgood crap going on. It's kinda depressing that it's not depressing anymore.
Funny in the sense that I was like

"holy shit really? i mean, come on man."

then when griffith came through for the nail in the coffin, i was just like "wut"

dramatis

And the nominees.
That's surprising, I thought Taisho was only awarded to new manga. Then again, I think the rules were "under 6 volumes" so I suppose it counts. If it was nominated back in 1st Taisho and it won this year, it must be published dreadfully slow.

Kurita

Umimachi Diary seems cool. The first volume will be released (with a different title, Kamakura Diary) next month here, guess I'll give it a shot.

Antiwhippy

Yonensei 6

Huh.

Well, it's good to see them resolving their relationship at the end, though the dying old man bit at the beginning caught me off guard. It,s nice to see Akio realise that he can't continue being so goddamn wishy washy.

Naruto

Not seeing the point of the flashback, and to top it off, they skipped the fight between Madara and Hirashima.

That wasn't even their big fight yet. We'll see their climactic fight at the waterfall place at the end so why be redundant showing multiple fights? Plus, we already got a taste of their clash at the start of the flashback.

Akito

Full results of the Manga Taisho Awards 2013

1st Umimachi Diary 89 pts
2nd Otoyomegatari 78pts
2nd Ballroom e Youkoso 78 pts
4th High Score Girl 62 pts
5th Ore Monogatari!! 58 pts
6th Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 40 pts
7th Ryuu no Kawaii Nanatsu no Ko 36 pts
8th Ningen Karimenchuu 35 pts
9th Terra ForMars 30 pts
10th Sanzoku Diary 29 pts
10th Bokura no Funka-sai 29 pts

Damn, Otoyomegatari is a close second once again.

survivor

Banned

2nd Otoyomegatari 78pts
9th Terra ForMars 30 pts

Fuck, A Bride's Story is never gonna win this will it? Can it even be nominated for the one next year?

2nd Otoyomegatari 78pts
9th Terra ForMars 30 pts

They really like terra formars, has it won any award yet?

Akito

Fuck, A Bride's Story is never gonna win this will it? Can it even be nominated for the one next year?
I think so, the 5th volume was released earlier this year so it should counts, the criteria is less than 8 volumes I think, it will have some more chances
;___;

fertygo

Do you already reach vol 34 yet? Its the best moment in manga so far for me, and the mood is ALL BRIGHT.. I wonder what Miura going to do with that later... argh 2023 still a long wait.

survivor

Banned
lol, this Natsume magazine cover is pretty funny.

Yonensei 2

Goddamait akio.

He's kind of a dickhead.
I think there was one moment in that chapter where they were all drunk that made me really hate Akio, but he is not a total asshole so the hate was temporary.

That's surprising, I thought Taisho was only awarded to new manga. Then again, I think the rules were "under 6 volumes" so I suppose it counts. If it was nominated back in 1st Taisho and it won this year, it must be published dreadfully slow.
Is 1 volume a year really that slow?

I think so, the 5th volume was released earlier this year so it should counts, the criteria is less than 8 volumes I think, it will have some more chances
;___;
Just watch them end up not nominating the manga just like they did in 2012.

dramatis

Is 1 volume a year really that slow?
I guess it depends on publication frequency. The weeklies pack about 10 chapters per volume, so they can expect to release about 5 volumes a year. Monthlies pack about 4 chapters a volume, so about 3 volumes a year.

Even HxH averages 2 volumes a year since 2008, so yeah, when Taisho's in its 6th iteration and you're still eligible for nomination, it might be a bit slow. Umimachi seems to have a lot more pages to its chapters though, so maybe the mangaka just keeps a healthier pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom