• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Last Inning Vol 8-14

Well there goes an evening...

Yuriko is such a tsundere for baseball. There's an alright mix of baseball and politic stuff, although I'd prefer a bit more baseball. The more important characters get enough characterization though, so the current division is fine I guess. Hatogaya's past story ;_;

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Sidonia no Kishi 1-27

Wow, just wow. This is too much for me to handle. I'm actually afraid for all the characters. This is some messed up stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually read soma for the cooking.

But if you want an actually amazing cooking manga don't read addicted to curry (especially seeing that JP has 49 volumes and scanlations are dead), read bambino.

iavi

really? this is the cooking manga right? its a bit too generic. if you wanna read good food manga, go read Addicted to Curry.

Nah. Addicted to Curry is good, but it ain't hype like Soma.

I actually read soma for the cooking.

But if you want an actually amazing cooking manga don't read addicted to curry (especially seeing that JP has 49 volumes and scanlations are dead), read bambino.

YES.

Bambino is one of those few god-tier mangas I suggest to everyone regardless of preference. It just needs to be read.

I'm so glad Secondo is finally being scanlated, albeit slowly.

_hekk05

Banned
Well I now have 9 chapters worth of raws for Shounen Shoujo 18 Kin. There are only 3 translated chapters and its been abandoned.

I'll probably start working on it after my last exam.

scy

I second the "Addicted to Curry is good but it ain't hype like Soma" train of thought.

I still am sad I'll never know how it ends.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nah. Addicted to Curry is good, but it ain't hype like Soma.

YES.

Bambino is one of those few god-tier mangas I suggest to everyone regardless of preference. It just needs to be read.

I'm so glad Secondo is finally being scanlated, albeit slowly.

Will read Bambino. Its been on my backlog for a while. Gotta finish Sidonia first.

Well I now have 9 chapters worth of raws for Shounen Shoujo 18 Kin. There are only 3 translated chapters and its been abandoned.

I'll probably start working on it after my last exam.

You are doing the world a great service. Keep on doing good!

Anyone have an idea about why Sket Dance translation has been strangely slow?

The translators website hasn't updated their FAQ answer either:
Why are you guys so behind in Sket Dance? The raws reach up to chapter *insert number*!
- The last scanlated chapter before Trinity BAKumA picked up Sket Dance was already quite behind, and we’re trying to catch up to it. In addition to the manga still being ongoing and chapters still coming out as we work, the manga itself is rather difficult to translate/clean/typeset due to its complexity/mediocre raws/wordiness, preventing us from catching up fast.
We are however narrowing the gap.

The manga ended almost a year ago (July 2013) and they are using Tankoban raws now.

Cerity

Aruito 1

Was looking like it was going to be the guys that were all *doki doki* which was somewhat unusual for a shoujo but that went out the window quickly enough.

Also fuck whoever makes people do the gauss seidel method by hand, this is downright sadism.

Revo

Last Inning Vol15

To me, this was a fairly disappointing volume. Even though we see character growth from the team, the volume was basically completely for pushing the belief of super hard work to have a chance to win. I get it that it's one of the big ideological clashes in the series, but it was really pushed over the top this game. Another thing that urked me is the newest political situation that was introduced at the end of the volume, which I care about 0% and feels just haphazardly shoved in. I hope the next school poses a challenge or at least provides more focus on the game.

Nordicus

Natsu no Zenjitsu 26

But what's super interesting is what happens after that.
Didn't expect her to suddenly turn sadistic in bed due to her sadness and jealousy. That definitely was super interesting in 2 senses

I'm slacking off again. Good thing this weekend is a bank holiday, it'll give me time to catch up.

Oniichan Control 25

Seems this ended last week at 31 chapters. With any luck the finale'll be a particularly graphic brother-sister ritual suicide.
Hahah, that definitely isn't out of the realms of possibility

Kurita

The manga ended almost a year ago (July 2013) and they are using Tankoban raws now.
Maybe a lack of motivation. And yeah, a gag manga is hard to translate.

upandaway

That's the reality of reading most manga that aren't super popular or by pure fluke have a dedicated team behind them (even when they're not thousand word chapters full of Japanese puns and references). The fact that it ended only made the pace slower because these things decrease in popularity after they end.

So what is the absolute worst cliche a mangaka can put in a romance series

Like, I'm talking infuriating enough to make you want to find them and punch them in the face

Forgotten childhood promise is really stupid.
Super dense protagonist of course.
Misunderstandings, depending on the severity.

Talking of romance/harem series... is there one where the girl that wins is the easygoing slightly older girl with big tits and love for alcohol? Just wondering.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
really? this is the cooking manga right? its a bit too generic. if you wanna read good food manga, go read Addicted to Curry.

Addicted to curry is good, especially all that recipe.
I wish more cooking manga are translated.

Some of cooking manga that i have read
Mr. Ajikko second generation, Kinou nani tabeta, Bambino, Angel frypan, Cooking Master boy, Cooking papa, Shokugeki no soma, addicted to curry, Yakitate Japan

_hekk05

Banned
GTO Paradise Lost 2

Bad End

njipkq.png

That aside does anyone have links to better manga fonts? The one I'm using doesn't really fit in well with some genres

wonzo

Banned
Shinozaki-san Ki o Ota Shika ni! 1-6

A popular girl trying to make friendsget in the cooch of the not-precure nerd that sits next to her enters a maddening descent into Otakudom whilst trying to get her into more girly and popular things. The art's kinda like some weird mix of Dowman Sayman, Aoki Ume, and someone else I can't remember the name of… whatever, the art owns and that's all that matters apart from the Yuri pandering.

Oh, and I guess theres PreCure references if you're into that.
yeshrug.png

Maybe a lack of motivation. And yeah, a gag manga is hard to translate.

That's the reality of reading most manga that aren't super popular or by pure fluke have a dedicated team behind them (even when they're not thousand word chapters full of Japanese puns and references). The fact that it ended only made the pace slower because these things decrease in popularity after they end.

That's sucks. :-( Still waiting on the end to read the entire thing in one go. Just hope it has a satisfying ending in comparison to the crap endings that I've been seeing in recently concluded manga.

Akito

Oricon Comic Rankings April 21st - 27th

01. 195,299 *,434,185 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Vol.21
02. 165,333 *,165,333 Giant Killing Vol.31
03. 155,848 *,155,848 xxxHOLiC: Rei Vol.2
04. 127,109 *,393,182 Detective Conan Vol.83
05. 111,357 *,269,183 Kingdom Vol.34
06. 109,033 1,499,670 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.13
07. *85,565 *,*85,565 Billy Bat Vol.14
08. *85,111 *,199,075 Tokyo Ghoul Vol.11
09. *77,442 *,*77,442 Hibi Chouchou Vol.7
10. *69,100 *,224,411 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.8
11. *55,671 *,*55,671 Horimiya Vol.5
12. *51,829 *,*51,829 Honey Vol.4
13. *50,130 *,*50,130 Mune ga Naru no wa Kimi no Sei Vol.4
14. *47,861 *,*47,861 Gurazeni Vol.14
15. *46,351 *,334,072 Chihayafuru Vol.24
16. *45,790 *,*45,790 Takasugi-san Chi no Obentou Vol.8
17. *42,315 *,*42,315 Kokoro Button Vol.12
18. *41,147 *,*41,147 Mairunovich Vol.11
19. *39,776 *,*84,170 Love So Life Vol.14
20. *39,729 *,*39,729 Aozora Yell Vol.15
21. *38,313 *,*38,313 Mushishi Tokubetsu-hen: Hihamukage
22. *37,474 *,*83,295 Oresama Teacher Vol.18
23. *35,667 *,*35,667 Ato nimo Saki nimo Kimi dake Vol.7
24. *35,242 *,102,368 Shura no Mon: Dai Ni Mon Vol.12
25. *35,063 *,*35,063 Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- Comic a la Carte: Maizuru Chinjufu-hen Vol.4
26. *33,160 *,*74,609 Rozen Maiden[/url] Vol.10
27. *32,724 *,332,948 Haikyuu!! Vol.10
28. *32,686 *,*32,686 Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- Dengeki Comic Anthology: Sasebo Chinjufu-hen Vol.3
29. *31,853 *,*31,853 Karneval Vol.13
30. *31,428 *,*31,428 Spotted Flower Vol.1
31. *31,071 *,*31,071 True Love Vol.4
32. *30,676 *,*30,676 Pandora Hearts Vol.22
33. *30,223 *,*94,999 Ballroom e Youkoso Vol.6
34. *29,494 *,*68,479 Akatsuki no Yona Vol.14
35. *29,451 *,*29,451 Hyouge Mono Vol.18
36. *29,156 *,882,459 Kimi ni Todoke Vol.21
37. *29,010 *,169,702 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji Vol.9
38. *27,450 *,*27,450 Hyouka Vol.6
39. *27,373 *,*27,373 Akai Ito Vol.5
40. *27,052 *,*27,052 Dame na Watashi ni Koi Shite Kudasai Vol.3
41. *26,689 *,*61,646 Minamoto-kun Monogatari Vol.5
42. *25,970 *,*25,970 Usotsuki Lily Vol.15
43. *25,434 *,*25,434 1F - Fukushima Daiichi Genshiryoku Hatsudensho Annaiki Vol.1
44. *25,349 *,*25,349 Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT Vol.3
45. *25,112 *,*40,353 Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den Vol.5
46. *24,269 *,206,655 Arslan Senki Vol.1
47. *23,571 *,*62,692 Aho Girl Vol.3
48. *23,486 *,194,371 Youkai Watch Vol.3
49. *22,817 *,*52,955 Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii Vol.7
50. *20,991 *,476,015 Haikyuu!! Vol.1

Nickelodeon 34

Deadication Through Light.

So what is the absolute worst cliche a mangaka can put in a romance series

Like, I'm talking infuriating enough to make you want to find them and punch them in the face
Another vote for inhumanly dense protagonists. I swear I read something once where one of the haremites flat out confessed to the MC and his thought process afterwards was something like "It was probably just a joke because she was feeling sorry for me..."

The Shittiest Girl™ winning is also pretty aggravating, but the SG™ role varies from series to series and it's not really a cliche.

I don't mean to offend you, but that's probably one of the most chuuni designs I've seen
No offence taken, although I may accidentally curse you to death at some point over the next few weeks. She does have a less batshit form, but I couldn't say which one I prefer without some in-depth statistical analysis.

bX1Hjbs.gif

The worst cliche is that one trope in every shojo romance where the female lead turns into a dog and goes back in time to prevent a car accident. It's really getting old.

dramatis

oh wow, that new manga Tsukikage Baby, by author of Kids on the Slope is already on the third volume and not a single chapter has been translated. Being josei fan is suffering ;_;
Those didn't even have raws show up on the internet. I camped about for those just to see what it was like, and in the end gave up.

_hekk05

Banned
Huh.

Reading up on Date a Live, and is it basically TWGOK but somehow more anime?

TWGOK is about conquering girls to stop demons from destroying the world.

Date A Live is about conquering girls so they don't destroy the world.

Soma 68

I somehow only just read this. Little kid has his own restaurant (pub) at his age?

Natsu no Zenjitsu

Sex

Actually, that's way much more lewder and smuttier than before!

I feel pity for her, she tries to posses him, but precisely that is far away from the pure/innocent style that attracts him platonically to the other girl.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

Oh hey, a full flashback? Didn't expect that, honestly thought the one in the preliminaries was all we'll get.

Still holding that Tadokoro will put up a strong case despite losing. Wondering if the "get up early to set up" bit is for her final twist.

Usobuko

Banned
So mangaf.

Is to love ru actually worth reading.

Nah. For comparable rom-com, Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome. It's funnier, riddled with puns and references. Also, MC is more decisive and proactive. A lot less ecchi scenario though, if that's your thing.

You could also go with Moteki or Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A healthy serving of smut a day keeps your desires away

Problem is that whenever I tried to give it a start I always blackout from boredom. Was thinking about finally giving the series a go but I dunno if I really want to stick with it if the start keeps on boring me.

Rito is just fucking boring.

Haikyuu!! 105
BmjV2CTIIAEIrhI.png

Team Tsukki, I think he has a development chapter or event next due to his brother asking him to play and the glasses, hopefully it wont be left to a flashback many chapters from now.

Has Kiyoko been getting more time in each chapter now, its so strange.

bigkrev

So mangaf.

Is to love ru actually worth reading.

So after reading Domina no Do, I started To Love Ru thinking that it would be a natural follow up. I was pretty dissapointed- the smut levels were just way too low for me.

Apparently, To Love-Ru Darkness fixes this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom