• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Yume Nikki
I'm tired as fuck, and reading it this late may or may not have added to the experience. I've not played the game that this manga is based on, and while I think I understood all that was happening, shit is WEIRD.
Yume Nikki

I have no idea what I just read.
A story about dreams being used to purge traumas to purify girls I suppose?
Interesting at times, a cluster of confusion at others.
Went on for a little too long, but at least it kept me interested for the most part.
Left me curious to go check the actual game to get some actual context on this work.

Depending on who you ask, the game might or might not be weirder because there is no text whatsover, so good luck trying to figure out what's going on.
Play it.

Is Akito the only member in the Touch Club :(

I'll read that manga soon.

I've been (slowly) reading it. I'll post my impressions so far later.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The mangas I consider the best are usually pretty formative in shaping my tastes. Except for 7 seeds, it's just that good.

rrvv

Zansho

pretty neat collection of short story. my favorite is number 5
because of surprised tragic end

Revo

Touch Vol 2

Soooooo much in yo face that Minami likes Tatsuya. Kazuya's face when he was nearly going to rip the photo Seeing them almost distract both girls during the date was funny when they both looked at each other but am glad punch was there to save the day (twice)!

And it looks like Tatsuya will have a chance to redeem himself in baseball in the next volume.

Zweizer

Banned
Touch v1-3

The introduction to the various characters and their archetypes is pretty nice. It just shows a normal day and yet do it smoothly enough that their relationships are obvious to the readers. So far it feels it's mostly setting things up, with Tatsuya as the lazy and unlucky but talented brother, Kazuya the hardworking ace, and Minami the childhood friend who cares about both. A mix of the good old "She likes you. No, she likes you." drama, Tatsuya apparently being everyone's toy and baseball, although most signs seem to favor Tatsuya for the future.

The art itself is also rather simple, yet works quite well at showing comedic or kinetic scenes and emotions, and as such is pretty pleasant to the eyes. In fact, I'd say the moniker "simple yet pleasant" applies to the series as a whole so far. Curious to see how it'll develop.

dani_dc

Himouto! Umaru-chan 79

I feel deceived, I was lead to believe there would be a slumber party.

Why do people put the wrong disc in the wrong case?
Umaru deserves pain and suffering for that.

Himouto! Umaru-chan ch79

Fuck the law of nature. I'm keeping my stuff around. Forever.

That's my plan as well!

Let's Haikyuu 8
tumblr_nengs52RQd1qbbcfco3_500.png

tumblr_nengs52RQd1qbbcfco4_500.png

I love Tsukki, lol.

Usobuko

Banned
There are a few works which I adored. YKK, Punpun, Slam Dunk etc. However, my favorite in both the anime and manga medium is still Mushishi. I love the strong influence of Zen Buddhism in each of its stories which emphasis the imperfection of life and nature. They complement perfectly with traditional Japanese aesthetics and Eastern folklore . It always accompanied with a subtle sense of melancholy yet it is precisely because of this that it was beautiful.

No surprise where my username comes from.

Revo

Nisekoi 146

Ah, we're doing this cliche now. Guess we gotta have something to have Raku forget about thinking about Onodera.

Antiwhippy

There are a few works which I adored. YKK, Punpun, Slam Dunk etc. However, my favorite in both the anime and manga medium is still Mushishi. I love the strong influence of Zen Buddhism in each of its stories which emphasis the imperfection of life and nature. They complement perfectly with traditional Japanese aesthetics and Eastern folklore . It always accompanied with a subtle sense of melancholy yet it is precisely because of this that it was beautiful.

No surprise where my username comes from.

Man, I should really watch mushishi one day. Sounds like everything I love about yokohama kadaishi kikou.

Nisekoi 146

Ah, we're doing this cliche now. Guess we gotta have something to have Raku forget about thinking about Onodera.

yup.
I am out. After following this shit filler after filler i am fucking done.
Call me when the story actually starts moving like last time.

Antiwhippy

Perhaps for being emotionally poignant but they are not exactly cut from the same cloth with regards to themes. I think you'll like it too, lol.

Could you say that mushishi focuses more on the negative aspects of life?

But yeah, it's just the general feel of sentimentality which I love in YKK.

Zweizer

Banned
GirlsLoveFestival 10 Pointers (One-shot) by Amano Shuninta

The superior Comiket, along with Futaket.

Yellow Drops (One-shot) by Hiiragi Yutaka

Somewhat lewd, but cute.

Rin Rin by Takemiya Jin

Conclusion to KiLa KiLa, and it ended the way I expected it to.

My Beloved ch1-End by Takemiya Jin

Another set of siblings love triangle, but with more angst and development.

The Festival of Demons (One-shot) by Jiromaru Itsuki

Would probably work better as a serialized series, with all these concepts and terms thrown around.

Mistress-Servant Yuri Book (One-shot) by Itou Hachi

Cute story about the devotion of a servant for her mistress. Cliché tropes, but pleasant art and overall tone makes it an enjoyable read.

A Lapis-Lazuli Blue Dream: Side A by Morishima Akiko

Seems like she found her happiness.

A Kiss And A White Lily ch1-2 by Canno

Although it's a classic dynamic, I rather like the way the two characters are portrayed and their relationship, as they don't fall exclusively into the tropes generally attributed to their archetypes.

Gamma ch1-2 by Ogino Jun

Oscillates between wacky and serious. Ultimately it's rather average with a rather unoriginal setting. Wouldn't really call it yuri either.

Magi 245

Man, I didn't think this was possible, but I am really enjoying Hakuryu and Judar 2.0.

Their arc is really great and they do what they need to in order to complete their goals. I'm actually liking them.

Alibaba, step your game up.

Defuser

Magi
Hakyuryuu got a second metal vessal and knows how to combine 2 powers together. Alibaba sure fucking wasted a year.

Zansho
A slice of life series of short stories that I liked more than PositioN, especially after I read that earlier this week. Liked the art and some of the stories, though I was almost expecting all of them to involve ghosts like the first two chapters, but then it transitioned to other things.

Should probably read Bokurano at some point since this was from the same author.

Anyway, I have now finished all the readings for week 1. Bring on the next batch!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi

Page 1, I see Yui, already know this is a shit tier chapter

Also, Raku's bathhouse looks just like E. Honda's stage from Street Fighter II

Ugh and its a multiple chapter arc fuck Yui you suck

Rainy

Banned
So I only watched the Nisekoi anime...but I'm guessing from the manga it doesn't get any better looool.

Also

Horimiya 30

This series is really fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I'm going to pick Spiceguy over Soma and Alice's Boyfriend. I just can't see Soma actually winning the whole tournament.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
naruto actually ended, damn. the last few pages actually revived the story for me cause all the characters had FREAKING PERSONALITIES!

What's everybody's top 3 favorite manga? Just a little curious.

Mine is, in no order.....

Tokyo Ghoul
One Piece
Bezerk

Top 3? That's hard, I've read a lot of stuff, I think I can lower it to 5.

Berserk
Franken Fran
Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa
Hunter X Hunter
JoJo, all of it

Ongoing would be ( I have to leave HxH and Berserk out because of their neverending states of limbo)

JoJo
Nozaki-kun
Prison School
One Piece
Monster Musume

I'm sure I forgot something I really like.

I'll split it into Ongoing and Finished

Finished
20th Century Boys
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Bokurano (FUCK THE ANIME FUCK THE ANIME!)

Ongoing
Hunter x Hunter
Skip Beat!
Gintama or Kingdom

dani_dc

Zansho

As mentioned before, collection of short stories. The art started taking it's toll as I went on, everything looked very "same-y", especially the characters.

First one was fine, wasn't sure what would happen since I didn't really know the author ofr the tone of the short stories, nothing too much to write about it.
The second one (The Girl on the Telephone pool) , was the one I enjoyed the most, mostly due to the interactions between the two main characters and the nice twist at the end (even if I did figure it out before hand).
Didn't care too much for stories 3 and 4.
Five was nice coming off 4, I was expecting it to End badly.
6 was a bit too predictable from the start so didn't enjoy it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom