• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Suumatsu no laughter 1

v3Ih0Yd.png

Bloody hell.

Antiwhippy

If it does become a full series I hope the translation team will actually use devil because 1 chapter full of akumas is already doing my head in.

dani_dc

Touch Vol.1

Liking it so far, mostly a set up for the characters, feel it might have went a bit too long in that sense though. The changes between panels/pages were at times a bit confusing, especially due to the twins mechanics, sometimes on purpose, others not so much. Not much baseball so far, was expecting more of it, though this isn't a positive or a negstive, just an observation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If it does because a full series I hope the translation team will actually use devil because 1 chapter full of akumas is already doing my head in.

Nah, the writer is doing Birdmen right now, which is excellent. The thing you're reading was just meant as a short, but the potential is there. I hate it when groups leave words untranslated like that, especially when they don't need to. Like if it's an attack name or the name of a person or place then sure, but everything else should be in English.

Antiwhippy

The translation doesn't seem to be that good anyway.

I can understand it if they're using specific japanese devil names like youkai or tengu or oni where it's pointing to something specific about that culture, but the akuma in this is meant to be used as a generic "demon" term.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The translation doesn't seem to be that good anyway.

I can understand it if they're using specific japanese devil names like youkai or tengu or oni where it's pointing to something specific about that culture, but the akuma in this is meant to be used as a generic "demon" term.

There's probably a better translation out there. I remember at the time there were two, one was fast but sucked and the other was slow and OK.

Nah, this translation is waaaay more understandable than the previous one I read.

I just think she has a weird quasi-philosophical sort of style that throws off a lot of translators, especially ones in a rush (it's why the first time I read Kekkaishi I only understood around half of it). I agree that good translator's can make better sense of it.

Antiwhippy

I just think she has a weird quasi-philosophical sort of style that throws off a lot of translators, especially ones in a rush (it's why the first time I read Kekkaishi I only understood around half of it). I agree that good translator's can make better sense of it.

I dunno if the quasi-philosophical stuff have anything to do with stuff like this.

This sentence just reads like nonsense to me.

This makes a lot more sense.

I dunno if the quasi-philosophical stuff have anything to do with stuff like this.

This sentence just reads like nonsense to me.

This makes a lot more sense.

Philosophical might be the wrong word, more like ambiguous and prone to misinterpretation? I might be totally wrong because I can't read Japanese, but Kekkaishi was full of confusing lines like the above example. I remember reading the crappy early translations of Laughter and being weirded out by how it was opaque in the exact same way that Kekkaishi was. This is why not being able to read something in its original language sucks.

Antiwhippy

Shuumatsu no laughter

Well that was fun. Nice exploration of what separates a person from being a demon or a human.

Yes Karma kun is best assassination classroom!
B2PqujjCIAEy3V0.png:small

Isogai, Kid Asano, and Itona did good too.

Terasaka, Sugino, and Maehara deserved to be much higher. How do you have a Karma kun without a Terasaka?!

Revo

I am a Hero Vol 15 (168-179) (Major spoilers)

Felt really fast due to the escape and searching. Still no clue what the one that ate him was about or the things he saw in there. I guess in due time we'll know more about merged ones.

And
Oda is pregnant.
And all those feelings for Hideo between the two girls sets up a minor conflict that doesn't seem to be resolved due to her actions. And now it looks like she's trying to leave to deal with it on her own, though I doubt she's actually going to get away with leaving. Either death or reunited is my bet.

Anyway yeah, really quick volume this time. Unsure how many volumes/chs are out in japan but it's at least one volume closer to being where japan is at.

bigkrev

Shuumatsu no laughter

Well that was fun. Nice exploration of what separates a person from being a demon or a human.

Still a little bitter about how it ended out of nowhere, just as it was getting interesting.

It would have been like ending Naruto after the Zabuza stuff.

Shouta

Can we cut down on the images a bit in here? Specifically ones that could get folks in trouble at work. *looks at the rump*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom