• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girl vs Curry

PpG9vgn.gif

Koe no Katachi - 62

Oh, it's already over? I uh...at least Pedro came back. Resolving with hand holding is just incredibly.....eh. Like it's lewd, sure, but man I am disappointed. I'm sad that this just kind of ends.
So Shimada...
got a sex change?

Wait, is that what it was?

And I agree on the weak ending and really strong beginning. I thought things ramped up for a bit when Kawai started revealing the past but that didn't really lead to as big an event as I would've thought. I think what it should've focused on a lot more was the relationship between Nishimiya and Ishida as opposed to the support characters. I wanted to see more drama stem from Ishida trying to accept himself and justify himself with Nishimiya. More about how he is tormented by the past.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Koe no Katachi
Needed to end on the bridge with Ishida kissing Nishimiya.

Cut to graduation prologue to round out the other characters.

dani_dc

Koe no Katachi - 62

Oh, it's already over? I uh...at least Pedro came back. Resolving with hand holding is just incredibly.....eh. Like it's lewd, sure, but man I am disappointed. I'm sad that this just kind of ends.
So Shimada...
got a sex change?

This totally went past me, I was wondering who that was supposed to be.

Shiamada having a sex change, dating her childhood friend and getting a kid would be more development than every single cast member got since the start of the series... And all out off panel.

What an unexpected thing for the author to write in the ending.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Very brief One Piece spoilers:

- Back to the present. Law and Doflamingo fight. Law admits he's a "D" too.
​- Brief review of all it's happening in Dressrosa (Donquixote Family Vs Mugiwara Pirates/other pirates, dwarfs in Royal Palace...).
- In the end ​Law wounds Doflamingo's body by using "Injection Shot".

per Arlong Park forums.

Tokyo Ghoul ch47-79

Well that certainly was an enjoyable arc. I found the pacing and narrative to be much stronger, and we get introduced to new characters, some of which are pretty entertaining (was Juuzou making a Jojo reference?) or interesting. There seems to be a bigger emphasis on fights, but so far they were all pretty good, as none of them felt dragged out.

Kaneki's... treatment, and the ensuing transformation was pretty brutal. Poor guy just can't catch a break. I did find his jump in power surprising though, awakening or not. I'm guessing there will be a proper explanation later? His shift in personality is to be expected, though not unwelcome, and I must say it makes him more intriguing as to what actions he may undertake next. He's finally stopped to just getting dragged around and seems to have a goal in mind, or a semblance of it.

Touka gets more development as well with the introduction of her brother and a flashback, although she herself didn't really get much time to act or shine. She seems to be stuck in a lull right now, but I hope she'll take action soon. Same thing for Hide, who has been rather lacking in screentime these past few chapters.

I'll forgive you :)

Anyways about Kaneki's power it wasn't a jump because he had all the potential from the very beginning. He was given Rize's organs who in fact was a powerful ghoul. Her Rinkaku kagune is really strong and lethal. Though the reason why it may seem as if Kaneki was weak in the beginning was because at that time he didn't want to let go of his humanity. He didn't provide his body with enough nutrients (human meat) and kept on eating those coffee snacks which is why his body wasn't as strong. Though during the torture his mentality had changed, he accepted his Ghoul side even if it meant losing some of his humanity. When Kaneki took a bite off of Yamori he gained a boost in RC levels and it's been told that if a Ghoul eat's other ghouls they get stronger. So what I'm saying is that with his new mentality, Rize's Kagune, his training, and abnormal regeneration which was told through Yamori, his strength wasn't a asspull. Ending with Kaneki destroying Yamori.

PK Gaming

Koe no Katachi END

That's it? Man... what was that? Talk about your abrupt ending. It felt the author could have easily used 5 or more chapters, but she wrapped up everything up too quickly.

No.

NO.

You do not get to drop 2 major bombs like that and leave us hanging. I want to know how Ueno x Sahara became a thing. I want a proper explanation from their mouths. There should have been a beginning, middle and end to their relationship, but we didn't even get a beginning or a middle. Hell, you could barely call that an end. Same deal with Shimada's sex change.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating. Koe no Katachi's biggest shortcoming is how quickly was everything was wrapped up after Ishida's fall. It felt like each of the supporting characters were still in the middle of their character arcs, and it was thrown out after he woke up. It saddens me to no end that we didn't a proper conclusion. Kawai suffers the worst from this because it felt like the author was actually building up to something. The entire manga felt like it was building up to something... not that limp ending.

Like, I still really like this manga overall, but that last act really soured me on the whole experience. Feels bad :(

Koe no Katachi
Needed to end on the bridge with Ishida kissing Nishimiya.

Cut to graduation prologue to round out the other characters.

Why couldn't this have happened :(

From everybody's impression why did Koe no Katachi finish abruptly? Was it not selling well or did the author get tired of writing the series.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Koe no katachi:

That ending was weak as fuck, for a series with such heavy themes it ended up with the most typical "everyone is happy now" ending, i expected more. Also you guys went crazy and started seeing sex changes in random people, come on dudes.

dani_dc

From everybody's impression why did Koe no Katachi finish abruptly? Was it not selling well or did the author get tired of writing the series.
None of those I believe. It was likely a creative decision.
The author had mentioned the series would end in November a good half a year back, they had even announced the final issue date all the way back in August.

The author clearly had a plan for the series and how to end it, it just so happens that the ending was badly written/planned.

Koe no Katachi END

Fucking weak ass ending. I am really unsatisfied. Fuck this shit!!!!

Kuroko ending sucked. Naruto ending sucked. KnK ending sucked. WTF mangakas. How goddamn hard is it to write an ending that isnt rushed to all fuck?

LeleSocho

Banned

To me the ending wasn't abrupt, life is made by episodes and episodes so important happen once or twice in the life so i'm perfectly happy with it not having more drama (and adding to that i really don't like drama). The ending had a nice set up thanks to the last two chapters in my opinion but it just didn't give anything to the reader therefore the disappointment.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Koe no Katachi 62
It's ending. Guess thing change, and Ishida and Nishimiya already change for the better. Nothing too bombastic with the ending though. Maybe there will be extra chapter in tankoubon...I hope!
And for the anime, well, whoever adapt it, i hope they did great job with it.

Usobuko

Banned
It looks more like Ueno wearing a decorative ring from Sahara who is a fellow designer and friend than both of them into yuri. Two things though. There were still lingering jealousy on her part where she told Nishimiya to stop 'flirting' in this chapter. And I see Ueno's statement to Ishida as something cheeky to say to her crush. The description of the one who proposed kinda fits how she see herself and her high standard. Would be better if someone who can read Japanese clear the air because in the chinese language, Ueno said the one who proposed is also a male club president.

Usobuko

Banned
To me the ending wasn't abrupt, life is made by episodes and episodes so important happen once or twice in the life so i'm perfectly happy with it not having more drama (and adding to that i really don't like drama). The ending had a nice set up thanks to the last two chapters in my opinion but it just didn't give anything to the reader therefore the disappointment.

The non conclusive and open ending of Ishida / Nishimiya relationship is fine. Hand-holding was a small step forward and the meat of the last chapter is more focused on facing their past trauma, taking a positive outlook of the future and resolving (existing) issues with others.

I do think the author missed a chance of personalities growth with some characters. It's not that I believe character progression is mandatory for a work to be good. I am fine with fully matured characters who are predictable but still true to their nature throughout the story. This, however, is period of adolescence. With the events that had occurred, readers would appreciate their coming of age. It would also help to have some loose ends tied up, particularly with Ishida and his two friends.

I am not that fond with the author execution of the themes and how she weave her story in general, so I don't really care about this ending/series.

Zetsurin! aka that dick gun manga 2-3

381e27ef8b.jpg

"So you can't fire that gun more then once, huh"
And we're getting some next level ecchi physics up in here. That double whammy was a work of art, man.

Akame ga Kill! Extra Chapter 2

Lol at the notion of Budo King of the Jobbers ever being the strongest in anything
Look at all these dead nerds and about to be dead nerds.

Akame ga Kill! Zero 12

Full on nudity in the first page. Except no nipples in this universe. Yep.
Having a fight with Akame in it in the prequel series. I wonder who will win.
And I guess she just have a lower level version of the OHKO blade. This one reminds me of the Medaka Box final boss' power except lamer.
I dunno if they brought that up before.

The best (worst?) part is that it doesn't even feel like a timeskip, all the characters are exactly the same. But seriously Ishida, what have you been doing for the past two years? Step it up bro.

Zetsurin Ch 2-3
This is so dumb and ecchi, but I can't help but continue to love it for what it is. The little spirit thing just says the dirtiest things despite his appearance.

Rhapsody

Banned
Koe no Katachi 62

This ending... I wanted more out of it. Not to say that I hated it. It was good, but I wish this was only part of the ending. Also I wasn't aware of what the ring probably meant in that ending. Same goes for the couple and the baby until you guys brought it up.

I wonder how animeGAF will react to the adaptation of Koe no Katachi. I'm expecting people complaining about forced drama and love triangles.

So whose ready to get back on Kishi's wild ride?

Masashi Kishimoto to Start Work on Next Title After Naruto After Next Summer

New Naruto manga mini-series to launch in April along with art exhibit

The January issue of Kadokawa's Entermix magazine is publishing an interview with Naruto manga creator Masashi Kishimoto on Friday. In the interview, Kishimoto says that he will start the new Naruto spinoff manga mini-series in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine next spring. Entermix specifies that the mini-series will launch next April.

Kishimoto adds that he will still have other work left to do in the Naruto franchise until next summer, so he will not begin preparing his next non-Naruto title in earnest until after that. He has various ideas he has yet to reveal, so he asks his fans to look forward to them. However, he notes that he is turning 40, so serializing a weekly manga will be tough. While he cannot say that he will follow the example of Osamu Akimoto (the creator of the decades-long manga KochiKame), he still expresses admiration for Akimoto. Kishimoto jokingly asks for his fans' forgiveness if his next title is not weekly.

The Tower of Mysterion 01

A trio of friends, with the quiet guy, his childhood friend and a popular guy as they enjoy their everyday lives. That changes when quiet guy gets asked out by childhood friend's best friend.

Before the end of the chapter, I just assumed this was going to be another childhood loses terribly for chapters upon chapters but then oh boy, that last page.

Vito

Banned
Can never escape bad news sites, polygon, kotaku and ANN will haunt me wherever I go. (pro tip: just copy past the text and don't link em, that pisses ANN people off :p)

Kurita

Rhapsody

Banned
The Tower of Mysterion 01

A trio of friends, with the quiet guy, his childhood friend and a popular guy as they enjoy their everyday lives. That changes when quiet guy gets asked out by childhood friend's best friend.

Before the end of the chapter, I just assumed this was going to be another childhood loses terribly for chapters upon chapters but then oh boy, that last page.

I decided to check it out because of this post. What...

Big One

Banned
>mfw My Hero Academia is being scanlated faster

My Hero Academia 10

I viciously hate the rival character, seriously. Hope they make him into a legit badguy rather than being the Sasuke or the Killua of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom