• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
2001 + 5 by Hoshino Yukinobu

The various stories are all rather standard sci-fi stuff from the 80s (which were actually the time when these were written, so it's fitting), but graphically it's gorgeous, with detailed shots of the various spaceships, sceneries and infrastructures. Pretty enjoyable just for the art alone.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker by OYSTER

A pretty fun series of gag comics featuring some amusing interpretations of events that might or might not have occured in the game. The artstyle fits it well, and one has to applaud the author for how expressive Link is, despite him being mute. One complaint I could make though is that it's absolutely necessary to have played the game first in order to enjoy it, not to mention it spoils several plot points.

Nemureru Mori no Binan by Akisato Wakuni

While it tackles some interesting themes, it plays way too hard into stereotypes and misconceptions, with characters that felt flat and a rather messy execution, with things that happen just because.

Transient Flower by Chihiro Harumi

Interesting theme concerning one's inner and outer beauty, though it's executed rather clumsily.

Mikai no Hoshi by Matsumoto Jiro

A rather cynical tale that features jealousy, life under occupation, and the worth of dreams, feelings and imagination. I seriously wasn't expecting the rather generous amount of sex, which makes me regret not recommending some Horihone Saizou. The rather worthless (or hopelessly naive) protagonist hampered my enjoyment of it somewhat, but overall it's a nice story about three friends and their drifting paths.

Guess who selected them?:
2001 + 5:
Antiwhippy
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker:
dumbyugi
Nemureru mori no binan:
Droplet
Transient Flower:
A Huge Battleship
Mikai no Hoshi:
Usobuko

Revo

Mob Psycho 100 73-.5

Reigen so good. Mob so good.

Everything so good. And it looks like we're bringing the cult back. It's a great day to be alive.

Wild Life 1-50

Shounen tropes in a Veterinarian setting. Hard work, friendship, will power; it's all there. Even got the idiot protagonist despite being in one of the world's most respected positions. Don't know how that works.

It's pretty good.

thetechkid

Otaku no Musume-san 006-018

The Dad: So hes a bad dad cus it causes drama...
The Daughter: Shes growing on me
The Mom:
NS8zBof.gif

The Best Friend: Besides being a pedo hes not a bad guy
The Manager: Best Girl
The Sensei: Hes not a bad guy at all
The Ero-Girl: Meh
The Blanket Guy: Hes like best friend but less pedo and more good.

Mikai no Hoshi by Matsumoto Jiro

A rather cynical tale that features jealousy, life under occupation, and the worth of dreams, feelings and imagination. I seriously wasn't expecting the rather generous amount of sex, which makes me regret not recommending some Horihone Saizou. The rather worthless (or hopelessly naive) protagonist hampered my enjoyment of it somewhat, but overall it's a nice story about three friends and their drifting paths.

So i guess this is your first Jiro Matsumoto work then since its usually in his MO (its severity will depend on the work)

His Favorite V7
Yes another fantastic volume of the adventures of Awkward Yoshida and his Sato. I laughed immensely through it. Though the only disappointing thing was no real romance or touching etc beyond the first scene. However, the comedy and Sato sharing his feelings for the volume made it great. I love how Yoshida also enjoys Sato at the end of the day even when confronted with say Nishida.

The new character is a great touch to the series and bound to provide some fun recurring moments I bet. I also loved the final two chapters, won't spoil it but it is always great seeing the school to react to Sato and Yoshida.

Color insert at the start is nice.

Fox318

His Favorite V7

Yes another fantastic volume of the adventures of Awkward Yoshida and his Sato. I laughed immensely through it. Though the only disappointing thing was no real romance or touching etc beyond the first scene. However, the comedy and Sato sharing his feelings for the volume made it great. I love how Yoshida also enjoys Sato at the end of the day even when confronted with say Nishida.

The new character is a great touch to the series and bound to provide some fun recurring moments I bet. I also loved the final two chapters, won't spoil it but it is always great seeing the school to react to Sato and Yoshida.

Color insert at the start is nice.

I see a thumb.

Breaking: DTL has a thumb.

Zweizer

Banned
Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane ch36

I approve of this Sheska.
I always approve of Sheska.
Poor Mahiru. She has a bad mom.

So i guess this is your first Jiro Matsumoto work then since its usually in his MO (its severity will depend on the work)

Yeah it's my first time reading one of his works. How is the rest of his stuff?
(Going from his biography, his sister is pretty boss)

Usobuko

Banned
Tengoku ni Musubu Koi Volume 1 - END ( conjoined twins of different gender )

A bleak take on their life made even more miserable by a disastrous earthquake. It's often gloomy and grim, with very little bones thrown to the two kids in the shape of hope and salvation. It's a shame that halfway through the manga their story wasn't the focus anymore and another overarching theme of harmony cohesion for disabilities in the society took over. Could have at the very least ended with a reunion.

survivor

Banned
Yeah it's my first time reading one of his works. How is the rest of his stuff?
(Going from his biography, his sister is pretty boss)

Freesia, Velveteen & Mandala, Tropical Citron and Wendy are all solid works. There is also Keep on Vibrating if you want maximum Jiro trademark sex and violence writing.

My Hero Academia 11

Well at least he admitted his loss.
And we finally get a league of super villains! It was inevitable.

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary 15

Pretty good facial expressions.
Holding hands? Do these children have no shame?

Bought the 4th Food War's volume digital, love the Aldini's on the back page. Cant wait to fully reread.
B25F7BmCMAEEjGy.png:large

Elena Meat, didn't know I wanted this until now

Man Yamada-kun has really become unenjoyable lately.
The main heroine/love interest is almost completely written out of the series at this point.
I wish this plot would wrap up and just go back to the fun body swapping antics.

Manga really should have end back after the memory arc, at that time it was one of the most enjoyable manga I had ever read.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Man Yamada-kun has really become unenjoyable lately.
The main heroine/love interest is almost completely written out of the series at this point.
I wish this plot would wrap up and just go back to the fun body swapping antics.

Manga really should have end back after the memory arc, at that time it was one of the most enjoyable manga I had ever read.

starting to run into the same problem as yankee-kun

I swear if SJ axe My Hero Academia I'm be pissed.

Unless it nosedives in the rankings and I guess the mangaka gets into a scandal, it should be safe for the time being.

There are like 3 other cannon fodder series (Sporting Salt, Hi-Fi Cluster, Judos) that'll more likely get axed in the next round.

Knights of Sidonia whatever-39

Genderless not girl that's going to become a girl levels up. Nagate still prefers the company of his dead gf and/or a gauna. Which reminds me that nobody ever let him know that not girl saved his life, lol. At least there haven't been any harem antics for a while.

Shinkaigyo no Anko-san

Read the first few chapters. It's a school slice of life about a town where mermaids based on various fish live side by side with humans.

Terrarium in Drawer 01-04

Amazing cover manga is getting translated yessssss

I think I liked Chapter 3 the most so far, though Chapter 1 was pretty amusing.

Shengar

Is pang tong the guy that dies without really doing a lot compared to kongming?

More like he die too early to make his deeds more outstanding. Pang Tong alongside Fa Zheng were the masterminds behind Liu Bei's conquest of Shu region, overtaking Liu Zhang's kingdom. It also oftenly said that he was the one who tricked Cao Cao to chaining his ships at Chibi. Arguably, the magnitude of his action is comparable to Kongming.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hayate no Gotoku 473

I actually found this chapter pretty funny and done well. The end, I figured something like that was going to happen. Guess we'll find out what happened next chapter or so.

Tizoc

Gunka no Balzar/Baltzar Ch. 3
Loving this manga so far and the art is ace. Blatzar calling out the drill instructor with the whip was so ballsy.

Otaku no Musume-san 006-018

The Dad: So hes a bad dad cus it causes drama...
The Daughter: Shes growing on me
The Mom:
NS8zBof.gif

The Best Friend: Besides being a pedo hes not a bad guy
The Manager: Best Girl
The Sensei: Hes not a bad guy at all
The Ero-Girl: Meh
The Blanket Guy: Hes like best friend but less pedo and more good.

Better version

Y0slU8A.gif

Averon

Akame ga Kill spoilers

Mine is
not dead yet

Tats
gets a power up

Akame and Leone joins the fight against Esdese

Budou is
pissed and joins the fight

The chapter was pure action. Ends in cliff hanger.

Usobuko

Banned
I might've read RoT for Pang Tong alone

Never I see such cool and badass looking design like this before, in manga, game, or anime
N7D3ZJI.png

Pang Tong is actually said to be "ugly".

There are two notable figures from the Pang clan in chinese history. Pang Juan who cross sword with Sun Bin in the Warring States period and the other is Pang Tong.

Mob Psycho 100 73
That last line from Mob :') Nice to see em back together.

Koe No Katachi END
Some unresolved stuff but leaving an unclear ending is ok, I suppose. At least Pedro came back. Looking for whatever is next after KnK.

Zweizer

Banned

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bah, I'm setting a really bad example for this thing I started by not reading anything this week, but there were so many other distractions for me this week. T_T Will definitely read the previous list next week though.

Still, onto week 4.

Week 4
Sora no Shita Yane no Naka by FUTAMI Sui
Worlds by RYU Fujisaki
Helter Skelter by OKAZAKI Kyoko
Sakura no Kimi by YAMAGUCHI Miyuki
Family Fight by Mizuno Sayaka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom