• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boku no Hero Academia Ch.1

Well I've heard things and there aren't alot of chapters so I might as well give it a shot. Art is pretty dynamic, although the story was kind of predictable. Maybe a little early to call this the next flagship

Boku no Hero Academia Ch.1

Well I've heard things and there aren't alot of chapters so I might as well give it a shot. Art is pretty dynamic, although the story was kind of predictable. Maybe a little early to call this the next flagship

continue reading it there is some cool things

but for me it needs to explain the main goal/ main villain to see if it will have any legs

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Caster has the mystery and the mature appeal, but she's too manipulative.

mature appeal

2cU2qsd.jpg

Fujicue!!! - Fujicue's Music 01

A guy joins JAM, the best music school in Japan so one day he can join the band he looks up to. But he sucks at guitar. There he gets paired up with a girl who's good at piano but can't perform in front of others.

This is cute. Pretty funny and fun. Seems very drama light and the main characters are both fun in their own way. It'll be interesting to see how the guy takes cares of the fact that he sucks at playing though.

dani_dc

The other stories are better, although they're all rather standard sci-fi stuff. The first story is hard to get through mainly because it's a spin-off of the main series, 2001.

Really, I'd say you mainly read it for the art.

I gave up after chapter 2, the art is great, but I'm not really into the story. It feels almost clinical.

I'll check another chapter probably, but if the stories don't pick up I'll probably drop it.

I really liked the first game, more than DDS2 so far. I was stuck in the last area for a long time because I could never find time to finish it, but I ended up beating it like 3 months afterwards. Final boss wasn't too bad, I think. Mostly just the spheres were a pain in the butt.

DDS2 is still good though, especially for Heat. I just don't like the
sci-fi
angle they went into, although it seemed cool at first. The opening song for DDS2 is also superior, I loved that shit..

I got out of my way to beat some of the extra boss of the game but never the actual last boss. I Should do that eventually but it's been so many years.

I heard lots of people complaining about DDS2 not being as good back in the day, but I'd suspect it's probably still worth playing.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I got out of my way to beat some of the extra boss of the game but never the actual last boss. I Should do that eventually but it's been so many years.

I heard lots of people complaining about DDS2 not being as good back in the day, but I'd suspect it's probably still worth playing.
Holy fuck, are you actually going to try to beat Demi-fiend? He's not worth it, you basically have to grind out to level 99. I didn't try any of the other side bosses though, so those might be doable.

Yeah, I also think DDS2 is worth playing. It's more enjoyable than Persona 3 to me, at least. I just think the Junkyard was a better setting, and I liked the mysticism of DDS1 better.

Sekai Maou 12
I wonder where this is heading, since there apparently isn't much of a point to the conflict. Kind of seems melancholic.

Kigurumi 04-05

Well that was basically an we got cancelled ending. At least the current fight was resolved (a bit quickly) and there was a bunch of nice fight scenes.

Eh, not bad. Had an interesting premise. Not sure how I feel if it was longer though.

GJ-Bu Vol.01

A 4-page light novel where every chapter is 4 pages long about an average kid being part of this after school club with 4 eccentric girls.

I do feel that this format works better than the anime did. It's easier to read and see where each story ends and begin instead of having it into one 20something chunks of stories. Otherwise, not bad, the girls are different from each other and it's pretty much a good light novel read.

Keyman 32

That DTL moment lol.

So basically Keyman are
Keyblade molds and their final form is to become a keyblade

Will Frank reach Kingdom Hearts? I cant help drawing comparisons to it lol.

Quasar

GJ-Bu Vol.01

A 4-page light novel where every chapter is 4 pages long about an average kid being part of this after school club with 4 eccentric girls.

I do feel that this format works better than the anime did. It's easier to read and see where each story ends and begin instead of having it into one 20something chunks of stories. Otherwise, not bad, the girls are different from each other and it's pretty much a good light novel read.

But how much Mori twirling is there?

Lagoon Engine Vol.06

Vezb4zI.jpg

The conclusion of the summer arc was pretty nice. Good way to wrap up all the emotional baggage of those characters.

The new arc looks promising, with it about carta, a series of tests and the most beautiful boy in the family.

dani_dc

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 52

What a happy family.

How can anyone be against this pairing?

Also the true pervert will be not be Shiho but her daughter, I'm calling it.

Holy fuck, are you actually going to try to beat Demi-fiend? He's not worth it, you basically have to grind out to level 99. I didn't try any of the other side bosses though, so those might be doable.

Yeah, I also think DDS2 is worth playing. It's more enjoyable than Persona 3 to me, at least. I just think the Junkyard was a better setting, and I liked the mysticism of DDS1 better.
No way I'd go after the Demi-fiend, too much effort!
Just some of the other side bosses.

I see, sounds good enough to me, I fairly enjoyed P3 though I always thought it was on the weaker side of the franchise, too flawed of a game. So I wouldn't be shocked to find out DDS2 is better.
I think the game goes for 3-4 euros when on sale in PSN anyway, I'd lose my DDS1 import save, but too much trouble to track down a PS2 copy for a decent price.

Trinity Seven 43

Woah! That sure was surprising, seriously. I knew Trinity Seven is pretty good and is entertaining almost all of the time, but in this genre, harem action, you almost never see this... but it happened.
Arata+Liese lose in round one of the tournament to Arin+Yui. Yes, the male lead loses in the first match to two of his haremites! How often does THAT happen in this genre? It's got to be incredibly uncommon, the genre is usually about how the MC guy always wins everything against girls because well he's male and they aren't etc. Arata is strong, but the girls in this series are too; he might be the strongest overall, but as this showed, it's not a sure thing, and that's great. Also on that note he is a magic king candidate, of course, but so are some girls. This is very much a harem series, but the girls are more capable compared to the protagonist than many, thankfully! This might be one of the better things about this series. How fun the tone is one of the best things for sure (this probably should be such a bleak and depressing series...), but that's high on the list.

Now, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he saves the day by the end of this arc, but still, good and surprising chapter. I liked it!

On another note, I really want to know what the heck happened with the school in England... first we learn the school was destroyed, and now the principal and a student of that school are here, as villains? Hmm... wonder what happened there. I'm sure we'll hear eventually.

SON TOKYO GHOUL RE JUST BECAME INTERESTING(to me)
latest chapter spoilers & tokyo ghoul spoilers ahead:

i finished tokyo ghoul about 2 weeks ago and was like "wtf... thats it?" then I found out that there was a sequel out and i was like oh shit cool, so i skimmed it a bit and i noticed that it was completely new characters with the exception of a few CCG agents... i was nah, where are the characters that I liked? wtf happened to ken, and wheres my bros and sis from the shop, whats up with Rize still being alive, and whats up with the supposedly new bad guys that word behind the scenes that is composed of 2 people whom i thought were cool peeps to only find out they're asshats, etc. So I dropped the manga, I have no interest in reading a completely new story when the original didn't even end well. My friend who introduced me to tokyo ghoul told me to skim the latest chapter, that i I didn't have to read it or anything and that I would like what I saw. and boy oh boy did i. so we are continuing where we left off in the original and my boy ken is still kicking but we also got a return of one of the members from the cafe! well, time to read the first chapter of tokyo ghoul: re.

Lagoon Engine Vol.06

Vezb4zI.jpg

The conclusion of the summer arc was pretty nice. Good way to wrap up all the emotional baggage of those characters.

The new arc looks promising, with it about carta, a series of tests and the most beautiful boy in the family.

Wasn't this also one of the works that the author never finshed (DNAngel being the major one)

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 52

What a happy family.

How can anyone be against this pairing?

Also the true pervert will be not be Shiho but her daughter, I'm calling it.

No way I'd go after the Demi-fiend, too much effort!
Just some of the other side bosses.

I see, sounds good enough to me, I fairly enjoyed P3 though I always thought it was on the weaker side of the franchise, too flawed of a game. So I wouldn't be shocked to find out DDS2 is better.
I think the game goes for 3-4 euros when on sale in PSN anyway, I'd lose my DDS1 import save, but too much trouble to track down a PS2 copy for a decent price.

You know I feel that Persona 3 is the best game in the Persona series. Story wise it's better than Persona 4 and mechanically it may seem inferior but it handled it's difficulty a lot better. I mean Persona 4 was easy as as hell. So yeah that's how I personally feel.
The order I would put the games would be...
Persona 3> Persona 2> Persona 4> Persona 1

Though the Shin Megami Tensei games are in a different league and that has to do with the gameplay which I really love.

Probablyyyy, last volume released was vol.7 and that was like 4 years ago (and when Tokyopop was still in business, lol)

sounds like another one alright.

it was kinda mindblowing at the time seeing all the work she did after basically saying "lol nope" to a bunch previous series. I wonder if it was severe writers block, or didn't have a way to continue the story or just didn't give a fuck about it anymore.

Also whenever i see Tokyopop i remember the pain of never getting a english version of the other Sekai/Crest/Banner of the Stars novels (it wouldn't have happened if they were still Alive but still) :(

SON TOKYO GHOUL RE JUST BECAME INTERESTING(to me)
latest chapter spoilers & tokyo ghoul spoilers ahead:

i finished tokyo ghoul about 2 weeks ago and was like "wtf... thats it?" then I found out that there was a sequel out and i was like oh shit cool, so i skimmed it a bit and i noticed that it was completely new characters with the exception of a few CCG agents... i was nah, where are the characters that I liked? wtf happened to ken, and wheres my bros and sis from the shop, whats up with Rize still being alive, and whats up with the supposedly new bad guys that word behind the scenes that is composed of 2 people whom i thought were cool peeps to only find out they're asshats, etc. So I dropped the manga, I have no interest in reading a completely new story when the original didn't even end well. My friend who introduced me to tokyo ghoul told me to skim the latest chapter, that i I didn't have to read it or anything and that I would like what I saw. and boy oh boy did i. so we are continuing where we left off in the original and my boy ken is still kicking but we also got a return of one of the members from the cafe! well, time to read the first chapter of tokyo ghoul: re.

Well
Uta and Itori were foreshadowed to be apart of the clown group from the very beginning so it wasn't out of nowhere.
See the Author loves to show rather than tell so everything is revealed through symbolism. It's just you have to look really closely.

Well
Uta and Itori were foreshadowed to be apart of the clown group from the very beginning so it wasn't out of nowhere.
See the Author loves to show rather than tell so everything is revealed through symbolism. It's just you have to look really closely.

oh really? I didn't notice. mind sharing these hints that I missed? cause honestly after hearing about the relationship between(spoilers for tokyo ghoul, not re)
Renji & Uta I would've thought he was chill as ice. I mean maybe the girl since she knew about someone killing Rize but Uta? I honestly didn't see that coming. Also whats good with Renji, he isn't a clown, right?

oh really? I didn't notice. mind sharing these hints that I missed? cause honestly after hearing about the relationship between(spoilers for tokyo ghoul, not re)
Renji & Uta I would've thought he was chill as ice. I mean maybe the girl since she knew about someone killing Rize but Uta? I honestly didn't see that coming. Also whats good with Renji, he isn't a clown, right?

Renji knows about the clowns but he's probably distant from their activities. Like he doesn't want to get involved. Which is why he scolded Itori for what she said to Kaneki.

As for the hints one that I clearly remember is when Hide mentions some clown gang activity in district 4 in the beginning of the manga. And who lived in district 4 none other than Uta and Itori. Add to the fact that Uta was a leader of a certain gang, shown through his flashback. All this points to Uta and Itori being with the clowns. There are more hints but I forgot those since its been a while since I read the manga.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
You don't miss much besides a playable character, although I do like said playable character more than the substitute they give you instead.

You know I feel that Persona 3 is the best game in the Persona series. Story wise it's better than Persona 4 and mechanically it may seem inferior but it handled it's difficulty a lot better. I mean Persona 4 was easy as as hell. So yeah that's how I personally feel.
The order I would put the games would be...
Persona 3> Persona 2> Persona 4> Persona 1

Though the Shin Megami Tensei games are in a different league and that has to do with the gameplay which I really love.
I didn't like Persona 3 much, outside of its battle system. I like the SMT games a lot better, granted the only ones I've played are the two Digital Saga games. I have Nocturne and Persona 4 on deck, though I seriously doubt I'll like Persona 4.

Village

Fujicue!!! - Fujicue's Music 01

A guy joins JAM, the best music school in Japan so one day he can join the band he looks up to. But he sucks at guitar. There he gets paired up with a girl who's good at piano but can't perform in front of others.

This is cute. Pretty funny and fun. Seems very drama light and the main characters are both fun in their own way. It'll be interesting to see how the guy takes cares of the fact that he sucks at playing though.

The cover art at least looks wonderful

You don't miss much besides a playable character, although I do like said playable character more than the substitute they give you instead.

I didn't like Persona 3 much, outside of its battle system. I like the SMT games a lot better, granted the only ones I've played are the two Digital Saga games. I have Nocturne and Persona 4 on deck, though I seriously doubt I'll like Persona 4.

You should definitely play Nocturne first you'll enjoy it. And you'll meet this fine bastard.

daSU1.png

Oh the misery :)

Man do I have to play Nocturne again, it's been a while.

But yeah I didn't enjoy Persona 4 as much as 3, but that has to do with it's story and difficulty.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
mangaf, slight off topic, i need a ps vita but can find it nowhere for new ;_;

i wanna play persona so i can get on with any manga/anime it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom