• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
A pretty mild reaction, but for who he is saying "what the fuck" is already pretty good.
Apparently he had gotten spoiled Fuuka was in an accident, but not that she would die.

Hahaha. Another one got Seo'd.
Did your friend read any of Seo's works before Fuuka?

dani_dc

Hahaha. Another one got Seo'd.
Did your friend read any of Seo's works before Fuuka?

I convinced him to do a read along of Suzuka when we did it, and he felt the need to read KNIM before Fuuka since Seoverse and all.

Basically he's been reading Seo work non-stop for the past couple of months.

Kingdom 411-412

the queen mother who always seemed to appear big due to her skimming and ego finally looked smaller due to her sons growth

when the future king was standing there on top of his throne

man oh man... I've waited so long for this the Hype.... I might let this series stack up again in chapters so that I could marathon through it again since I know for a fact that shit is about to go down

Frog-fu

Banned
OK, I read all of Holyland in one day, and the very next day I caught up with Suicide Island.

Yuu is a boss.

Sei is a pussy and annoying af.

Well I purchased last week's ESJ. Will do it again this week. The Jump Start initiative got me, though I only wanted to read Gakkyuu Hotei and athe Table atennis that Ageha Plays.

OK, I read all of Holyland in one day, and the very next day I caught up with Suicide Island.

Yuu is a boss.

Sei is a pussy and annoying af.

Holy Land is a good read
on another note.... some mangas that are different genres you should check out

did you ever read Kingdom?

you might like it and Vinland Saga is pretty good too

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 53

CnPThtY.jpg

Uuh, best girl's got FIYAH!

Zweizer

Banned
I convinced him to do a read along of Suzuka when we did it, and he felt the need to read KNIM before Fuuka since Seoverse and all.

Basically he's been reading Seo work non-stop for the past couple of months.

Well, uh, I hope your friend won't lose his sanity and shun manga forever as a result.

Kurita

The anime designs for Ore Monogatari aren't nearly as charming as the manga but hey, guess I'll watch at least one episode.

Attack on Titan 64

Goggles girl
is likely not dead

lol at them trying to make us sympathies with the Military Police.... The strategy the survey corp used with the smoke was nice

Lastly apparently eating each other is family traditions :/

More teasing about the past but they haven't answered a slew of other unknown past questions

lol at that ending

Shingeki no Kyjoin 64

Nothing to object. The discourse made by the enemy in the first pages humanized them to make the fight more ambiguous, a good move by the author. The tactics used were interesting, they didn't simply barged in, and the action itself was impactful and acrobatic (if you think about it, they are almost Cirque du Soleil artists lol). Oh, and a little more backstory and cannibalism and teasing about the true secret of the world. And it finishes with a possible treason.
A complete chapter!

Attack on Titan 64

Goggles girl
is likely not dead

Well, totally.
It was on the shoulder and she just fell to the ground. No wound on a vital organ, no death. Hell, Armin went to help her so she will receive first aid, that way the author nullifies the possibility of being killed while unconscious or blood loss.

Meguro

Banned
Nisekoi 150

Why am I still reading this? When was the last time we had real plot progression?

Nickelodeon 4

A story about the forbidden love between a teacher and student. Interesting to me since I´m currently studying to become a teacher and who knows? Maybe one of my future students turns out to be the love of my life?

Does anyone know if any of Doumans works are available to buy in English? I´d love to support him.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 53

I forgot werewolf guy existed.

Attack on Titan 64

Y'know Eren I think the cards are stacked against you here.
All this fighting and almost dying reminded me how long it's been since someone actually died.

Zweizer

Banned
didn't that poster who created those 2d sprites also got tagged in here or was it somewhere else

Neoriceisgood? No idea.

Does anyone know if any of Doumans works are available to buy in English? I´d love to support him.

None of them as far as I know. A travesty, I know.

Speaking of Dowman Sayman, apparently he rather likes My Hero Academia. Here's his rendition of best girl:

Sket Dance 280-281

T-T-This is the last volume?

T-T-The last job?!?

W-we're going to be using everybody!?!

E-E-EVERYONE'S GOING TO GET SOME RESOLUTION?

THIS IDEA SEEMS AMAZING.

I-I-I CAN'T HANDLE THIS,

nATTeQ2.png

Touch COMPLETE

Idol stuff was weird, but whatever

So that was Touch, Adachi's famous manga. In many ways it is definitely the predecessor to Cross Game, and the things I liked in there show up here. In the end, I would have to say I like Cross Game better, but Touch is still a fantastic series.

Attack on Titan 64

Y'know Eren I think the cards are stacked against you here.
All this fighting and almost dying reminded me how long it's been since someone actually died.

Series has lost the edge!
Actually, It never killed that many non-secondary characters.

I don't think the cards are stacked against him,
notice Kenny treason against the king will surely delay the ceremony for a bit while the cavalry comes to rescue him.

It's funny how in the end Rod technically
doesn't have all the secrets, as the powers and knowledge passed from his brother to his daughter, and from her to Eren. I think he is spouting second-hand information.

Revo

Bartender wherever I was-121

I really, really like the continued storylines of every character, it gives a real sense of time and lets me bond with characters. Really a quite enjoyable read, gives a very calm feel like Mushishi. If you liked Mushishi you'll like this.

Boku to Ane to Obake-tachi 01-03

4komas about a girl who's not scared of ghosts and her younger brother who is scared of ghosts as they move to a house haunted by ghosts.

It's pretty funny. Kinda expecting this to get deep though if the author's other works have taught me anything.

Taboo-Tattoo 32
With the death of the flashback, the life of the story returns. It'd be super swell if the MC didn't follow through on his whole 'murder the princess' vow, since she's the best thing about this manga. Having her kill childhood friend was probably partially intended to turn the reader against her after the initial quasi pleasantries, but all it did was make me root for her even harder.

Aunt Tits 147-149

Sports girl needs to become acquainted with the obsessive teacher. Ideally over a bottle of wine and a steak knife.

RKD-EK9 (oneshot)
nisio.png. Hugely enjoyable oneshot about the MC's efforts to, uh, circumvent the entry criteria for heaven through SCIENCE. Naturally, it goes exactly according to plan. I'd pay good money to see his reaction after the ascension.

Akito

Touch v26 (end)
All that red herrings just to surprise the reader with this moment, damn you Adachi.

So it's over and suffice to say I still like this a whole lot, it will always be my favorite Adachi manga. H2 was a little too long for my taste and CG too short (or in other words H2 had too much baseball and CG too little) but Touch struck the perfect balance for me and even had an extensive ending, which was and is still unprecedented for him. The cast as a whole may be weaker compared to the more modern series of his but Tatsuya and Minami don't have to be scared the comparison with anyone. The 80's vibe was also a great bonus, even more so if you watch the anime.

The Touch reading club may be over now but as I'm planning to do a reread of Adachi's entire catalog, it's probably just a beginning. I will take my time with it and have a break of at least a week or 2 between each series so everyone is again free to join me. I won't have much time for the rest of the year so the next series will have to wait till the new year arrives, not sure which one yet. Will try to do some catch up with the short manga club.

Revo

Will try to keep up with all the adachi rereads i can.

Sekai Oni 8

Quite the extensive plan. But happiness never lasts~

BearChair

Just out of curiosity, are there any websites or specific rss feeds that focus specifically on recent licensing of manga for the US?

I like manga but prefer things targeted at an older audience (think Shigeru Mizuki's Showa series or the Yoshihiro Tatsumi collections like Abandon the Old Tokyo, rather than Naruto or One Piece). The problem is content like this seems to be a bit out of the mainstream in the current manga licensing world in the US. I'd like to keep abreast of what's coming out.

Also, if you have any reading suggestions based on those works, I'd love to hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom