• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

And here i was wondering why Beam wasn't in here defending Bleach to his grave, he's doing it in the OT thread instead.

Its fucking hilarious seeing other people react to the insanity LOLOLOL

Now I have check the thread.

I like One Piece a lot, I still do.

But even if it goes to shit, I can't find myself to hate and defend it to that extent. I think once people broaden their horizon, you'll just take it as it is and seek enjoyment from the alternative gigantic pile of manga series.

I can never understand people that defend ongoing series as if quality fluctuations don't happen.

If people want the short reads list this week I can conjure one up tomorrow...?

I'm still behind a few weeks so I'm in no hurry for more stories!

Zweizer

Banned
So kasane's romance manga ended with him getting drunk on a pirate ship?

Huh.

And here i was wondering why Beam wasn't in here defending Bleach to his grave, he's doing it in the OT thread instead.

Its fucking hilarious seeing other people react to the insanity LOLOLOL

So I checked out said OT. Is that how it was back in the "ShonenGAF" days?

Usobuko

Banned
Tetsuwan Girl any good?

A quick stats show I read 8 series from Tsutomu Takahashi with Jiraishin being my favourite. His art is distinguishable from his peers and I love his character facial expressions.

pbIGJYp.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
btw, do you consider yourself singaporean or aussie, whippy?

I've lived most of my formative years in australia so australian.

Technically still lived more than half of my life in singapore.

What is culture and nationality anyway, in this increasingly globalised world?

dani_dc

Onani Master Kurosawa [re-read]

So I decided to re-read this.

The first half wasn't quite as good as I recalled, in my memory it was very over the top with crazy plans and mental games, but I found it to be quite... "subdue" despite it's nature.

I blame Prison School for this, even though Onani Master Kurosawa is a bit more extreme on it's premise, Prison School basically raised the standards for that type of scenes.

The second part was more or less what I recalled, the series focus changed to character growth and development.
The fixing of the friendships happened a bit too suddenly and could had used some more exploration, and the series could had used a few more chapters to develop the relationship between characters, in particular Takigawa with Kurosawa.

This is a hard manga to recommend, mostly due to it's subject, but if you can get over the whole "master of fapping" aspect of it, it's still an interesting and fun read.

Usobuko

Banned

The first half wasn't quite as good as I recalled, in my memory it was very over the top with crazy plans and mental games, but I found it to be quite... "subdue" despite it's nature.

I blame Prison School for this, even though Onani Master Kurosawa is a bit more extreme on it's premise, Prison School basically raised the standards for that type of scenes.

Do you also mentally make the distinction where OMK is more grounded and realistic too?

I mean whether it feels real or not is not a strike against Prison School but OMK setting and the general human's behaviours and interactions are more relatable. Hence, within that kind of parameters, these 'crazy plans and mental games' might just have more weight into it despite being less over the top in nature

Don't know why I'm speaking up for OMK even though I don't like it as much as most people I came across.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban ch13

Yeah, um, that's, uh, a delicious hero?

The fixing of the friendships happened a bit too suddenly and could had used some more exploration, and the series could had used a few more chapters to develop the relationship between characters, in particular Takigawa with Kurosawa.

That's my biggest complaint about this series. In particular, the way the relationship with Sugawa towards the end was portrayed felt very much shoehorned.

dani_dc

Do you also mentally make the distinction where OMK is more grounded and realistic too?

I mean whether it feels real or not is not a strike against Prison School but OMK setting and the general human's behaviours and interactions are more relatable. Hence, within that kind of parameters, these 'crazy plans and mental games' might just have more weight into it despite being less over the top in nature

Don't know why I'm speaking up for OMK even though I don't like it as much as most people I came across.

I do think it's fair to say that OMK is a (much) more grounded work than Prison School, and the series aren't quite comparable.
I wasn't really expecting it to be Prison School nor did I make the comparison while reading it, it just didn't quite live up to what I recalled from the previous time I read OMK (quite a few years ago), and the Prison School comparison came from me trying to understand why that was.

I would say my own expectations are partly to blame for my lesser enjoyment of the first half, my recollection of OMK was of a much more over the top series before the change of pace in the later half.

Despite that, I did had issues with the the plans in OMK not being well thought, they were all very simplistic in nature, and honestly should had been caught by others at some point of time, for one every single time someone fapped he was the only guy missing in class. That's the other coin of being a more grounded work though, it's harder to overlook that type of issues.

That's my biggest complaint about this series. In particular, the way the relationship with Sugawa towards the end was portrayed felt very much shoehorned.

Yeah, I felt the series needed Sugawa to explore why Kurosawa had done that to her before forgiving (if she would forgive him at all), plus people usually work through their problems, they don't just forgive each other out of nowhere and go back to how things were ... especially not if someone does what Kurosawa did.

Lain

Tetsuwan Girl any good?

A quick stats show I read 8 series from Tsutomu Takahashi with Jiraishin being my favourite. His art is distinguishable from his peers and I love his character facial expressions.

Tome Kano is my avatar. Tetsuwan Girl is awesome, as far as I'm concerned.

El Sloth

Banned
Tetsuwan Girl is awesome and should be read by everyone.

Kano da bess

so glad chimoguri got serialized again <3
Oh thank god, really? That was one hell of a cliffhanger. Things were really starting to heat up too! Any idea when the new serialization will start? Also, which magazine picked it up? I'd like to send them a bouqet of flowers for saving this great series.

Big One

Banned
Pokemon Adventures Volume 4-7 (Yellow arc)

So finally we address the Elite Four, though this arc I felt was a lot weaker in many ways to the first one.

For one there's a lot of holes, like why the Elite Four even have the goal of destroying humanity. The manga tries to create a dynamic of the struggle between the reality of humans polluting the world and how it affects wildlife, but I felt as a whole this wasn't really delved upon in favor of pointless action scenes making the climax feel very weak.

I enjoyed the training arc Yellow had with Blue the most to be honest, even though her Pokemon didn't evolve until last minute.

I'm also confused about what importance Viridan Forest has to the series. Why do people that come from it have special powers that can heal Pokemon? And why is Giovanni a part of this group as well as Lance? I'm so confused.

Basically, it's Plotholes: The arc. I hope some will get filled in the upcoming arcs but I'm not too hopeful. D

Revo

Sekai Oni 14

That would explain why it was always running away. Wonder what she will do now.

Also poor girl, no one will have sex with her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma 100 spoilers - Doesn't seem like they did anything particularly special for chapter 100.

Well I mean, Hayama's spicy carpaccio melted Leonora's clothes off, but other than that.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, I felt the series needed Sugawa to explore why Kurosawa had done that to her before forgiving (if she would forgive him at all), plus people usually work through their problems, they don't just forgive each other out of nowhere and go back to how things were ... especially not if someone does what Kurosawa did.

I get the feeling the author thought that Kurosawa deserved some sort of "reward" for turning into a better person. Well, at least it was mildly amusing.

Chimoguri Ringo

The fate that awaits all smut readers here

To die while doing what you loved the most? Sounds like a good death!

Gonna leave this here

Here's hoping she'll show up again soon.

Lain

Peephole 51

I like how the the doctor being pathetic is highlighted by Kurosu going limp, while Miyaichi being divine in what she does is highlighted by Kurosu popping a boner.

Stop! Hibari-kun 1-4

The coloring is so inconsistent on this.
Blond, then brown, then blue?

it is using the JoJo filter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am going to try and re-read Bleach so that I could try and make sense of the current arc that is happening

maybe I might actually understand some BS stuff in the long run.... here is hoping GAF

I MAY NEVER RETURN...wish me Luck

dani_dc

I get the feeling the author thought that Kurosawa deserved some sort of "reward" for turning into a better person. Well, at least it was mildly amusing.

The way it ended would had been good enough of a reward even without Sugawa forgiveness.

Stop! Hibari-kun 1-4

The coloring is so inconsistent on this.
Blond, then brown, then blue?

Woman these days like painting their hair.

Zweizer

Banned
So I am going to try and re-read Bleach so that I could try and make sense of the current arc that is happening

maybe I might actually understand some BS stuff in the long run.... here is hoping GAF

I MAY NEVER RETURN...wish me Luck

The lack of Hunter x Hunter is making your brain going places. I can't see why this would be a good idea in any way.

The way it ended would had been good enough of a reward even without Sugawa forgiveness.

True. The ending was pretty nice at least.

Back to canada ;(

Don't give up your manga life! You can keep living the dream even in Canada!

I think.

I don't know where to ask this, so if I should go somewhere else just tell me.

I'm thinking about reading "All You Need Is Kill", is it alright? I know that it is darker and some things about the ending (
like how it is not a happy one, for instance
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom