• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Kingdom 414

You'd think they would consider the possibility of a fake seal after the Queen mother betrayed them.

King putting everything back to order as it should be though, I'm going to guess he has a plan of his own.

On the bright side, Chitoge was very cute this week. But yeah, that Haru gets cut out of all these events because of her age is depressing.

Cute Chitoge is a rarity she needs to be featured more often.

bigkrev

Magic: The Gathering - Magic Gakuen Seitokai

An one-shot? where like every other card based series, everything is decided by card games.

I'm sure someone with more Magic experience than I do can go into the fine details of this but hey it was pretty enjoyable.

Something... Something I am knowledgeable about?!?

Of course the main girl would use a deck as bullshit as UW Miracles. The gameplay logic was mostly sound, with the only hole coming when the girl playing black summons Skytherix, and the opponent complains because he thought it was a M13 only game, even though a Lashwrithe (from New Phyrexia) had already been used.

Not as good as that K-ON doujin about Magic the Gathering though.

Kono S o, Mi yo! 55

rcAzvwg.png

this manga is fucked up.

jbug617

Banned
Bought all 4 volumes of Food Wars since it's on sale for digital and it's awesome so far (read Vol 1 and 2). Can't wait for the anime.

Accel World v2 Light Novel (bought it a few weeks ago)

Volume 1 was an excellent start for the series. Unfortunately, it seemed that Mr. Kawahara couldnt quite hit his stride with this volume like he did with that one. Whereas v1 made me quickly rush through it in a day, it took me four-five attempts to get through this volume over the week Ive been reading it. Thats not really all that good for a book of its length. The main issue is that slow start to this volume. Introducing a new character is usually a bit more compelling than how he did it here. I can only imagine that he did get a bit better with other characters later on.

The final chapters helped to make up for the really slow start and I got through that chunk of a hundred or so pages pretty fast. It was intense.

Yellow Radio v KYH was intense as well as the Chrome Disaster affair. Tempted to watch the anime for the fourth time to see it again.
tumblr_maxildjeOx1qemapno1_500.gif

Itsuka Kimitachi mo Otona ni Naru 05

As I was reading I kept dreading how on earth were they going to extend this series since we already reach the point where dad was almost accepting their relationship but to my surprise this was the ending which made this a pretty good series about a father accepting his daughter's growing up.

And how often do you see a tsundere father.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sensei Lock on 2-3
I admire this dude for sticking to his first love for so long.

Boys on the Run 1

We're off to a bloody start.

so i recently discovered that I really like sports manga. I've been reading Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, and Eyeshield 21, and I've really enjoyed all three. Anyone have some recs for other good sports anime or manga?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
so i recently discovered that I really like sports manga. I've been reading Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, and Eyeshield 21, and I've really enjoyed all three. Anyone have some recs for other good sports anime or manga?

for anime?

Princess Nine

Girls und Panzer

Ping Pong (GOAT)

Revo

Cross Game (baseball)
Touch (baseball)
(Manga by ADACHI Mitsuru, although I've only read the 2 above)
Baby Steps (tennis)
Haikyuu!! (volleyball)
Last Inning (baseball)
Real (basketball)
Teppu (if you count MMA as a sport that you're looking for)
Hikaru no Go (If you count Go (the tabletop game) as a sport you're looking for)
One Outs (Baseball, should do anime then continue with manga)
Ping Pong the Animation(I prefer the anime, but the manga is good as well)
Slam Dunk (Basketball)
Hajime no Ippo (if count boxing, also quality is all over the place but when it's going good it's great) also mentioned because 1k chapters.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I need to catch up on me manga mates

Cross Game (baseball)
Touch (baseball)
Baby Steps (tennis)
Haikyuu!! (volleyball)
Last Inning (baseball)
Real (basketball)
Hikaru no Go (If you count Go (the tabletop game) as a sport you're looking for)
Ping Pong the Animation (I prefer the anime, but the manga is good as well)
Slam Dunk (Basketball)
Hajime no Ippo (if count boxing, also quality is all over the place but when it's going good it's great) also mentioned because 1k chapters.

The bold are the ones I know I can recommend since they are pretty damn good. I only have some beef with Eyeshield 21, perfect waifu material and no romancu (from the 50 chapters I've read). Also, what was that manga that was asked of me if I read it and I think Zweiser said that some fling was going on between two characters??? Ahhhh, my brain hurts trying to remember... Teppu however has special place in my heart, it has a feeling of being smut but its not, its so weird and raw.

Ookiku Furikabutte
Takkoku!!
Kuroko's Basketball

for anime?

Princess Nine

Girls und Panzer

Ping Pong (GOAT)

slam dunk
real

Cross Game (baseball)
Touch (baseball)
Baby Steps (tennis)
Haikyuu!! (volleyball)
Last Inning (baseball)
Real (basketball)
Ping Pong the Animation(I prefer the anime, but the manga is good as well)
Slam Dunk (Basketball)

thanks for the recommendations. I've been eyeing Slam Dunk, Ping Pong, Kuroko Basketball and Hajime no Ippo, so I'll probably go with one of those first. Ippo scares me though because it's so damn long though haha. Does the Ping Pong anime have the same animation style as the opening?

Does the Ping Pong anime have the same animation style as the opening?

It's kinda close.
It's the style of the director.

About Tokyo Ghoul, they keep talking about Quinque and how they are made but how was the first one made? From my understanding a Quinque is nearly essential to kill a Ghoul, but you need to kill a Ghoul to get it's Kagune to make the Quinque. How did they fight them before that?
I should probably not focus on these things.

Edit: Now that I think about it, they could've just used corpses of Ghouls that got killed fighting another Ghoul. I'm still kind of curious as to what they tried before Quinques.

It's kinda close.

About Tokyo Ghoul, they keep talking about Quinque and how they are made but how was the first one made? From my understanding a Quinque is nearly essential to kill a Ghoul, but you need to kill a Ghoul to get it's Kagune to make the Quinque. How did they fight them before that?
ok thanks. it's not really a deterrent, I was just wondering.

Maybe they stumbled across an already dead ghoul and had the idea? Or maybe they used gas or something to knock them out? Or maybe conventional weapons? Who knows haha. Conventional weapons (guns) were never explicitly stated to be ineffective on ghouls were they?

ok thanks. it's not really a deterrent, I was just wondering.

Maybe they stumbled across an already dead ghoul and had the idea? Or maybe they used gas or something to knock them out? Or maybe conventional weapons? Who knows haha. Conventional weapons (guns) were never explicitly stated to be ineffective on ghouls were they?

Actually, this panel is the reason I started wondering.

1ba13c697d.jpg

It's kinda close.

Edit: Now that I think about it, they could've just used corpses of Ghouls that got killed fighting another Ghoul. I'm still kind of curious as to what they tried before Quinques.

Before that question can be answered we need to know how long Ghoul's have been around. At least we know that Ghoul's also live in China, Germany, and Russia.

I really do hope Re gives us more answers about Ghoul's.

Kyuur

At the very beginning, Rize (a fairly powerful ghoul) was killed without use of a Kagune. They're strong but they can be killed without them.

Girigiri Out 01-02

Our main character is perfect but has a cursed. When she's nervous she has to visit the restroom. Urgently. How she'll go through high school with a plain boy who can somehow help her hold it in.

Lewd.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
At the very beginning, Rize (a fairly powerful ghoul) was killed without use of a Kagune. They're strong but they can be killed without them.

Have you finished reading Tokyo Ghoul?

Girigiri Out 01-02

Our main character is perfect but has a cursed. When she's nervous she has to visit the restroom. Urgently. How she'll go through high school with a plain boy who can somehow help her hold it in.

Lewd.

Now I know your fetishes to blackmail you dakku

That's a good point.

Tokyo Ghoul:re

A pretty intriguing start. Still not really sure why they needed to start this new series from chapter 1 though.

Well that took me like three months to get caught up on. Guess I should start something else.

Big One

Banned
Pokemon Adventures Volumes 8-14 (Gold, Silver, and Crystal arc)

I wasn't expecting too much from this, but color me pleasantly surprised.

After the "eh" arcs of Red/Blue and Yellow, I was impressed by how much the quality of the work pretty much improved at the beginning of this arc. The plotting was much better, the characters were more well-defined and three-dimensional, and it was at a pace that constantly had me turning the page rather than putting down the volume for an hour cause it drags or gets boring.

The central characters Gold, Silver, and Crysta are three of the most defined leads the series has had to date. They got a lot of development, which was awesome. Even the characters from the past arcs that lacked this development got it.

The action scenes also got a lot better I felt. Everything was just improved upon, and the stakes in this one was much higher. Mask of Ice was a bigger and badder villain than either Giovanni and Lance which I wasn't expecting to be at all. Then when his whole goal was revealed, it was a pretty tragic story that did tug on my heart strings a bit even though I found it silly he went through great lengths cause of his dead Lapras friends. Still a fantastic and vile villain though.

The end had a very great sense of closure to this manga, which makes me wonder what exactly can they do to continue the momentum and tightness of the first 14 volumes had. It seems to branch off in a separate continuity in some ways if I had to guess from looking at the covers, but we'll see. I'll definitely will be buying the R/S boxset regardless.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom